Nuremberg departure-should I fly into Munich or Frankfort?

Buddysmom10

They look like they are about the same distance.

We would like to stay there for 2-3 days then go to Nuremberg to start our river cruise.

Is is easier/better to go from Munich or Frankfort to Nuremberg?

How did you get there? bus/train/private car?

Thanks!

Both cities have a highspeed train connection to Nuremberg. As my grandma lives in Frankfurt, I would recommend to go from Munich to Nuremberg. This is just based on what I experienced on that route the last year: 2x suicides, 1x animal hit by train, 1x motor damage, 1x foliage on the tracks (:eek: they really used that as an excuse for delay - as if a few leaves can endanger a few thousand tons of steel?). Maybe I just had a lot of bad luck on that route.

In general, in each case it takes about 1.5h-2h to go from MUC/FRA to NUE by ICE train, and spend the 5€ on a seat reservation. Train would cost around 60€ according to bahn.de . Taxi from Nuremberg Trainstation to the dock is around 15€ .

Munich is closer to Nuremberg,so drive there shorter.We prefer Muniich,just because smaller city and Frankfurt seems like large city almost anywhere(but still fun if you ve never been there)

So do some research on ea.\We took a taxi from Munich to Nuremberg because flight mix up at airport.Was about 45 min.only,but DO MAKE SURE driver KNOWS exactly what port area you re going to.We had a terrible time finding ours.Think I d rather spend a day before in Nuremberg,cute city and lots to see,then not worry about long haul day of cruise.;)

Train from Nuremberg to Munich is quick and easy, a little more than an hour if you take the high-speed train. There are slower and cheaper ones too. Train from Frankfurt to Nuremberg is a fair amount longer; our trip this past June took 2h45 from the airport to NUE.

That said, we'd highly recommend spending time in Munich; we spent 5 days there last June and had a great time! Have not been anywhere in Frankfurt proper, but we did use the airport as our international hub for the trip. A colleague who lived there says Frankfurt is modern and more reminiscent of Manhattan than Europe, FWIW. We think we'd find that less interesting, but can't speak from experience.

The Sofitel Bayerpost is a great Munich hotel which is within walking distance from the train station.

Agree with previous posters who say that Nuremberg is worth at least a day. There is a great hotel right as you exit from the lower level of the train station (Hotel Victoria) where we spent 3 nights, and loved it. Nuremberg is walkable, and the old city is very charming. One full day is plenty to see the city.

You can buy tickets on-line at bahn.de and pay with an American cc; they will e-mail you a pdf of your tickets and you can print them at home before your trip. Or if you have a cc with a chip you can use the automated ticket machines in the train station, though you'll save money purchasing in advance. You can't book more than 2 or 3 months in advance (forget which). Seat reservations are not a bad idea.

If you want to get some ideas about what to do in either city, there's a link to a blog of our June 2013 trip in the signature below. Our river cruise was canceled, but we had a great time anyway!

It´s an one hour train ride from Munich to Nuremberg.

If you want to spend 2 or 3 nights prior to the cruise then I highly suggest Munich as there´s much more to see there than in Frankfurt.

steamboats

Are you a little biased because you live in Munich? :D ;) Seriously, Munich has a lot to see.

Train from Nuremberg to Munich is quick and easy, a little more than an hour if you take the high-speed train. There are slower and cheaper ones too. Train from Frankfurt to Nuremberg is a fair amount longer; our trip this past June took 2h45 from the airport to NUE.

That said, we'd highly recommend spending time in Munich; we spent 5 days there last June and had a great time! Have not been anywhere in Frankfurt proper, but we did use the airport as our international hub for the trip. A colleague who lived there says Frankfurt is modern and more reminiscent of Manhattan than Europe, FWIW. We think we'd find that less interesting, but can't speak from experience.

The Sofitel Bayerpost is a great Munich hotel which is within walking distance from the train station.

I agree with both the suggestion of Munich and also the Sofitel. That is where we stay when in Munich and have always enjoyed both the hotel and city very much, and much more than Nuremberg.