Is Carnival Corp losing it's mojo?

kelmac

I (for one) am hoping they don't lose their MoJo.

CCL (the only one I can really speak to) IMHO, appears to be searching for it. I have seen some less quality choices being made in recent years, but at least they are still adjusting (it appears to me, anyway).

I believe they are listening, and seemingly simple things (like an actual reggae band vs. a DJ) that had gone away recently may be on the return. Perhaps they are realizing the cuts are too deep, and driving people away.

While the band thing is not a huge thing, it is one thing that makes a cruise memorable (to me anyway). Simple things like this can help to show the consumer that they are (the consumer is) truly important to the company.

I can't even imagine all the variables involved in filling a ship week after week, but if a vacation is memorable, it is much more likely to reap rewards in return customers the next week (or month or year).

I'm not against Celebrity or RCCL or any others, but we haven't really had a need to try another line (15 CCL's and counting). We typically travel with friends and/or family and we make our own fun as best we can, while enjoying the cruise vacation we receive for the $$$ spent.

So far, that equation has worked out to be fun vacations, so it seems the MoJo isn't completely gone (at least, not yet).

GP

Edited by GuitarPlayer

Invester Daily recently ran an article on CCL, saying that last quarter, they stopped the practice of dropping fares to insure sailing near capacity. The theory here is that if you have a limit for prices and sell with some empty cabins, it will help firm up prices.

For those who like to parrot "They must be doing something right, they sail full!", well, that has been put to rest.

However, also surprising was the state of the other CCL lines. While some will say that the Concordia, Splendour and Triumph ships put a dark shadow on CCL, NCL and RCL have seen growth in bookings. People ARE switching to RCL and NCL!

People are not just avoiding CCL; they are also avoiding Princess and Hal.

I have never been on HAL, but have sailed on Princess a lot and my last two cruises (most recently a year ago) saw more and more cost cutting.

That can be what is turning people away.

Link to the article (at least I think this is the article) being referenced:

http://news.investors.com/business/112013-679917-carnival-corp-and-royal-caribbean-and-norwegian.htm

GP

Between 2003 and 2011 my wife and I use to alternate between Celebrity and Holland America. HAL has lost it's luster with us for a variety of reasons, which includes less service people, uninspired cuisine, old school decor, out-dated smoking policy, weak return customer program…,

This past summer we did a TA on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 (second time on the QM2) -- it felt like Holland America on Steroids. The MDR food was good, the buffet was awful, and Todd English is so so. Some great stuff, some not so great.

Yesterday we disembarked from the Golden Princess. Very tired ship, mediocre food, crowded everywhere, large cabin (mini-suite) that was brown, with brown, with a touch of ugly.

I don't want to "pile on" with Carnival's issues (Costa Concordia…,), but it seems like the products of Royal Caribbean (Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Azamara) are head and shoulders better than anything Carnival Corp is offering? Oceania is great, but pretty expensive. We have no experience with the Ultra Luxury lines, and to be fair, we haven't tried NCL in many years.

We love the itineraries of HAL, Princess, and Cunard, but it will be a few years before we embark one of their ships. We have four cruises coming up -- three on Celebrity and one of RCI.

I'm not anti-Carnival, and I use to own their stock -- anyone else sense a change?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Can't speak for the Corp, other than for years scratching my head that they do not offer anything up from the Carnival Cruise Lines basement with any incentives to try any of their better line offerings.

Carnival Cruise LINES has definitely lost its mojo. There was a time I woul not consider anything else, getting more while paying less. Now, paying less just gets you less.

I wanted to love HAL -- and for a short while, I did.

My second HAL cruise was in September.

I expected a similar experience since we were on a sister ship to the Noordam, but the cruise was very non-descript. There was just nothing memorable or distinctive about the ship, and the entertainment was practically non-existentI

We felt the same way about HAL. We really wanted to love it, but the experience fell short of our expectations.

We had an absolutely amazing cruise on the Westerdam last summer, but it was mostly because of the itinerary and attention to details. But the ship looked worn out and disjointed. Food was in many ways similar to Carnival, and entertainment at the main theater was even worse than Carnival's (if that's even possible).

Maybe I went with unrealistic expectations, fueled by HAL's own claim of "Signature of Excellence". While the overall product was still a few notches above Carnival, it failed to meet expectations.

We are trying Princess next year. Even with the negative reviews about the Royal Princess, we are really looking forward to sailing on her. :)

Edited by Tapi

Between 2003 and 2011 my wife and I use to alternate between Celebrity and Holland America. HAL has lost it's luster with us for a variety of reasons, which includes less service people, uninspired cuisine, old school decor, out-dated smoking policy, weak return customer program…,

This past summer we did a TA on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 (second time on the QM2) -- it felt like Holland America on Steroids. The MDR food was good, the buffet was awful, and Todd English is so so. Some great stuff, some not so great.

Yesterday we disembarked from the Golden Princess. Very tired ship, mediocre food, crowded everywhere, large cabin (mini-suite) that was brown, with brown, with a touch of ugly.

I don't want to "pile on" with Carnival's issues (Costa Concordia…,), but it seems like the products of Royal Caribbean (Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Azamara) are head and shoulders better than anything Carnival Corp is offering? Oceania is great, but pretty expensive. We have no experience with the Ultra Luxury lines, and to be fair, we haven't tried NCL in many years.

We love the itineraries of HAL, Princess, and Cunard, but it will be a few years before we embark one of their ships. We have four cruises coming up -- three on Celebrity and one of RCI.

I'm not anti-Carnival, and I use to own their stock -- anyone else sense a change?

Enjoy!

I haven't notice any change. I have always found the food and service to be better on carnival than royal Caribbean. I tried RCL 3 times, and wish I wouldn't have wasted my money. (I could have taken 6 carnival for the 3 rcl lol). You get what you paid for, doesn't apply with RCL lol. I did notice change with my royal cruises, the first was plain awful with the 3rd being more tolerable. btw...I like the description, brown with a touch of ugly..lol. I haven't sailed princess (to upscale for me). The one thing that royal does have a lead over carnival (at least on the freedom of the seas ship I sailed on) was the balcony size, that was nice!

I haven't notice any change. I have always found the food and service to be better on carnival than royal Caribbean. I tried RCL 3 times, and wish I wouldn't have wasted my money. (I could have taken 6 carnival for the 3 rcl lol). You get what you paid for, doesn't apply with RCL lol. I did notice change with my royal cruises, the first was plain awful with the 3rd being more tolerable. btw...I like the description, brown with a touch of ugly..lol. I haven't sailed princess (to upscale for me). The one thing that royal does have a lead over carnival (at least on the freedom of the seas ship I sailed on) was the balcony size, that was nice!

For the most part, I believe most posters on this thread have had some very valid points. However, not to pick your statement apart, a RCCL cruise is not double the price of a Carnival ship, unless, maybe you were on a Oasis Class ship during peak season. Your post indicates you were not. I have sailed both ships, and I can assure you, the price difference between RCCL an CCL is minimal at best. Most of my 7 day cruises were within $200 - $300.00. This is like staying at a Holiday Inn Express or a Hilton. Both offer a bed, TV, and Bathroom, but the quality is different. On a RCCL ship, the food might be about the same, but RCCL offers an entertainment value in the price that CCL does not. I don't think CCL actually puts any effort into a stage show. I might also point out, CCL rooms are bigger than RCCL, which is curious why you said the opposite?

CCL has a market. They just haven't figured out yet that the cut-backs are hurting them, as they begin to lose that market to other lines.

CCL has a market. They just haven't figured out yet that the cut-backs are hurting them, as they begin to lose that market to other lines.

This is not accurate. If CCL was in fact loosing customers in droves, these changes would be reversed quick fast and in a hurry.

Keep in mind that we posters here on CC are by in large a minority of the cruising population. So while some may voice dissatisfaction regarding the product, it by no means suggests that all cruise passengers feel that way.

This is not accurate. If CCL was in fact loosing customers in droves, these changes would be reversed quick fast and in a hurry.

Keep in mind that we posters here on CC are by in large a minority of the cruising population. So while some may voice dissatisfaction regarding the product, it by no means suggests that all cruise passengers feel that way.

Besides their target audience are new cruisers who spend much more money on board than experienced ones.

Besides their target audience are new cruisers who spend much more money on board than experienced ones.

I agree

They want the ones that don't no any better and look at the cheap price

BTW to an above poster I spend about the same for RCCl or less

My current Navigator cruise is $200pp+ less than the Magic:rolleyes:

Granted I get sick of the same old stuff like Newleywed Game, Hairy Man contest etc., I take a cruise more for the itinerary and where they cruise out of. As you can see below, I have not taken some of the other cruise lines. Took Carnival this year. It was fine.

Besides their target audience are new cruisers who spend much more money on board than experienced ones.[/QUOTE]

That's correct , the problem being there not offering any options for the experienced cruiser . Well , we have been there and done that .

So how should Carnival entertain the experience cruiser ?

Perhaps a discount on photos ,excursions ? Selective pricing in the shops ?

You would think Carnival would offer a modest 20 percent discount, once you reach a particular level . In the least ?

Guaranteed money flow :).

Edited by Cruizinman

Unfortunately, nearly anything that comes out if the Fincantieri yards is an inferiour product compared to the quality and expert craftmanship from Meyer werf, Chantiers d'atlantique and AKER yards in Turku.

Carnival corp. almost exclusively uses Fincantieri as they are the cheapest.

From design to finishing, fincantieri is a disaster in my opinion.

If the RCCL and Celebrity ships are so much better than Princess ships, then why don't they have self-serve laundromats so that those on longer cruises don't have to send their clothes to the expensive ship laundry?? That's one design that is fabulous and saves us lots of money!

If the RCCL and Celebrity ships are so much better than Princess ships, then why don't they have self-serve laundromats so that those on longer cruises don't have to send their clothes to the expensive ship laundry?? That's one design that is fabulous and saves us lots of money!

I don't think that the laundry service provided on board is that expensive, certainly not when compared to a lot of dry cleaners or hotel services. :D

Besides their target audience are new cruisers who spend much more money on board than experienced ones.[/QUOTE]

That's correct , the problem being there not offering any options for the experienced cruiser . Well , we have been there and done that .

So how should Carnival entertain the experience cruiser ?

Perhaps a discount on photos ,excursions ? Selective pricing in the shops ?

You would think Carnival would offer a modest 20 percent discount, once you reach a particular level . In the least ?

Guaranteed money flow :).

Carnival offers few perks for repeat cruisers or those in suites. Check out the great loyalty program on Princess, as well as many nice suite perks. :D

I don't think that the laundry service provided on board is that expensive, certainly not when compared to a lot of dry cleaners or hotel services. :D

Can't even come close to $4 per washer load!! You'd be lucky to pay $4 for one piece of clothing. And the "specials" that many lines have is $20 for a tiny bag full. You're comparing apples to oranges (ship laundry to a dry cleaner or hotel) - I'm comparing ship laundry to ship's self serve laundry.

When we go on 14 day cruises, we can pack for 5-7 days and do our own laundry for under $10 for the whole 2 weeks. And Princess gives UNLIMITED free laundry for Elite status passengers or those in full suites. What a fabulous perk! :D

Can't even come close to $4 per washer load!! You'd be lucky to pay $4 for one piece of clothing. And the "specials" that many lines have is $20 for a tiny bag full. You're comparing apples to oranges (ship laundry to a dry cleaner or hotel) - I'm comparing ship laundry to ship's self serve laundry.

When we go on 14 day cruises, we can pack for 5-7 days and do our own laundry for under $10 for the whole 2 weeks. And Princess gives UNLIMITED free laundry for Elite status passengers or those in full suites. What a fabulous perk! :D

I prefer to have someone (Ship/hotel/etc) wash my clothes as I am on holiday. :D

BTW, Comparing Ships Self service laundry to home laundry -$4 a load seems expensive as I can wash my clothes at home for just about nothing.;)

Enjoy!

What does that mean?. The Princess ships, including the Golden is one of the most elegantly designed ships I am been on. Golden Princess had a major overall in 2009, when we sailed on it. My house gets a good coat of paint once every 10 years, if I do it myself. I don't live in a mansion so clearly I am easy to impress:D

Recently sailed Carnival and I noticed a major decline with the food and bedding, from 6 years ago. Overall, a good and memorable cruise. I am currently booked on Royal Princess and looking forward to that experience because its going to be different from my previous experiences.

Edited by Blk_Amish

We felt the same way about HAL. We really wanted to love it, but the experience fell short of our expectations.

We had an absolutely amazing cruise on the Westerdam last summer, but it was mostly because of the itinerary and attention to details. But the ship looked worn out and disjointed. Food was in many ways similar to Carnival, and entertainment at the main theater was even worse than Carnival's (if that's even possible).

Maybe I went with unrealistic expectations, fueled by HAL's own claim of "Signature of Excellence". While the overall product was still a few notches above Carnival, it failed to meet expectations.

We are trying Princess next year. Even with the negative reviews about the Royal Princess, we are really looking forward to sailing on her. :)

We first sailed HAL in 2005. Had an amazing cruise but didn't return until a couple of years ago. Have now cruised them three times since and have three booked in 2014 as well as a couple on Carnival.

HAL isn't for everyone and I view them more in line with the European cruises on Carnival and other lines. A different age group and make up of people. The more experienced cruiser who isn't looking for the hairy chest contest, the Water Parks, etc. We've done the Cooking Classes, the Wine Tastings, etc. on HAL and have really enjoyed them.

It's a different vibe than Carnival, NCL and RCL for sure but different doesn't make it bad....just not for everyone!

I saw some cutbacks on HAL since my first one with them but nothing too significant.

We actually enjoyed the entertainment on HAL especially the Crew Show, a fiddler player one night, a Juggler/Comedian, the Dancing With the Stars show, etc. Some of it simple but very good all the same.

Carnival needs to greatly improve in the Entertainment area as it is seriously lacking! Hasbro Show at night, the Marriage Show at night still on some Ships, Legends Show, etc. Hopefully, the new menus will be a big improvement and they will come through with improving the Entertainment as JH mentioned.

Besides having great Itineraries HAL does special touches that even Celebrity does not do! It's those touches that we appreciate!

For the most part, I believe most posters on this thread have had some very valid points. However, not to pick your statement apart, a RCCL cruise is not double the price of a Carnival ship, unless, maybe you were on a Oasis Class ship during peak season. Your post indicates you were not. I have sailed both ships, and I can assure you, the price difference between RCCL an CCL is minimal at best. Most of my 7 day cruises were within $200 - $300.00. This is like staying at a Holiday Inn Express or a Hilton. Both offer a bed, TV, and Bathroom, but the quality is different. On a RCCL ship, the food might be about the same, but RCCL offers an entertainment value in the price that CCL does not. I don't think CCL actually puts any effort into a stage show. I might also point out, CCL rooms are bigger than RCCL, which is curious why you said the opposite?

I sailed Freedom of the seas, Enchantment of the seas and oasis of the seas. Oasis, was just too big for me, and I didn't really understand the hype. Sure the ship was beautiful, but I was really let down by the service and food. needles to say, I did have a pretty good time. I tried it, I did it, but not again...unless someone pays for me :D

HAL isn't for everyone...

A different age group and make up of people. The more experienced cruiser who isn't looking for the hairy chest contest, the Water Parks, etc.

Besides having great Itineraries HAL does special touches that even Celebrity does not do! It's those touches that we appreciate!

I agree, and those small touches are some of the superlatives that we enjoyed about sailing on HAL. The fresh flowers, the white gloved service, the full menu available in-cabin, the limited loudspeaker announcements, the laundry delivered wrapped in tissue paper and a gold seal on a wicker basket, the use of china instead of plastic for room service, and the plush throw blankets for balcony use were some of these superlatives.

We were also thankful for the quiet pool deck with no silly games or blaring music. And while the main theater entertainment left a lot to be desired, lecturers, bands, and the classical music trio were all great.

The reason why our HAL cruise fell short of our expectations is because the ship was not what we expected from a premium cruise line. Frayed, discolored, and worn carpet, wall coverings peeling off and stained, gaudy and outdated decor intermingled with the multi-million dollar art collection. Overall the ship was not to our liking. There were areas of the ship that we loved, like the Crow's Nest and the Greenhouse Spa, but others we just avoided. Service, while very nice, wasn't much more special than what we've experienced on more budget-minded cruise lines.

As mentioned above, food wasn't much better than what we've experienced on Carnival (and we had some food connoisseurs in our group of 14 who weren't impressed with the cuisine except for when the Pinnacle Grill was transformed into Le Cirque). Add a food poisoning incident which caused 2 of our group members to miss Juneau and you'll see why I'm not praising HAL in the culinary department.

I've always believed that a big reason why people return from a cruise dissatisfied is because of unmet expectations. Overall, HAL is a few notches above Carnival, but IMHO, they fall short of their "Signature of Excellence" moniker.

Edited by Tapi

I agree

They want the ones that don't no any better and look at the cheap price

BTW to an above poster I spend about the same for RCCl or less

My current Navigator cruise is $200pp+ less than the Magic:rolleyes:

Carnival is a good product for families with young children and many pay dearly for the previlege to cruise. I chose Carnival Magic over Princess because it would be better for my son's grduatation gift, not because it was cheaper. I am considering Carnival for my 50th birthday because it will be more fun but Princess for my 20th anniversary. My on board spening on Carnival is usually much more than on RCL or Princess. I am a cash cow they like to milk with quads, photos, bar tab, soda cards, and excursions. A cheap rate doesn't mean a cheap trip for many forced or prefer to spend the extra to complete the vacation experience. Without the kids or a crazy birthday, I have done my time in the FUN zone. A 50 years old going under the limbo is neither safe or cute but FUN.

I have cruised for 20 years with RCL 8x, Carnival 4x, Princess 2x and currently booked on Royal Princess. I will cruise Allure , just the say been there done that, but pretty much done with mega resorts and Monstrosities of the Sea, too old!

Edited by Blk_Amish

I'm going to suggest that it's by design? I'm sure they generate more revenue from putting a cabin there than quarter machines. That said, the last thing I'm doing on a 7, 10, or 15 day cruise is laundry. If I ever take a longer cruise, maybe I'll reconsider...yea, probably not. :D

Will be on Celebrity for the first time in the next 3 months and hope I'll enjoy it, but I love Princess and will be Elite next year. They have the best loyalty program, bar none. Check it out.

I'm an Elite Princess member. We did Ruby in December of 2012. We then took our first "X" cruise on Reflection in March 2013. It is with a heavy sigh that I say that Celebrity blew Princess out of the water in almost every category. Princess did have better entertainment IMHO. You will love your Celebrity cruise. We booked Sunshine this summer. We're curious on how Carnival spent $155 million dollars.:eek: Good decision....we shall see. We did get a killer price on an Aft balcony cabin. :D