How Many Checked Bags

SweetPease

We have booked the South Pacific Cruise in March on the Marina. We will fly from GA to New Zealand using Oceania's Economy air travel (not an expert at shopping the airfares and am happy to let someone else do it for me). Can someone please tell me how many checked bags we are allowed? With it being a 16 day cruise, I'm not sure I can squeeze everything into one 50 lb bag. I've learned to travel light, but...

Also, did I read correctly, if we choose to fly in a day early (to get acclimated) we will most likely have to pay the $150 change fee? Our TA was checking into any "early arrival" packages offered by Oceania, but have not heard back yet.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

The luggage restrictions, whatever they may be, will be those of the Airline which Oceania puts you on, so it is impossible to say what they will be until your booking is assigned.

Unless you book a pre-cruise hotel stay through Oceania, if you opt to fly in early, a deviation fee of $150 per person is triggered, and if the flights which you prefer cost more than those which Oceania would have chosen for you, then you are responsible for the difference.

Alternatively, you may forego Oceania Air arrangements entirely, and book privately using the Air Allowance (which varies dependent on where you live).

Edited by JimandStan

Flying to NZ or Australia from GA you will get 1- 50 lb bag 62 inches max total dimension. If it is 51 or 52 lbs the charge will be $100.

Your second bag, 50 pounds max 62 inches in dim. Will be $100. Id it goes over 50 then the charge can be $200. You get I small carryon..

This is per person

By flying in a day early, you must pay $150 pp deviation. The flight may or may not the same price ( because its not a bloc booking) and you may have to pay additional air fare on top of the Deviation.

As an example, I wanted to fly into Tahiti a day earlier..... The result was I would have had to pay $150pp deviation Plus an additional $199 air fare or $349 more pp about $700 additional for that 1 day... I declined

Go for the cruise.. because s few days before or after can cost you thousands more....

We have booked the South Pacific Cruise in March on the Marina. We will fly from GA to New Zealand using Oceania's Economy air travel (not an expert at shopping the airfares and am happy to let someone else do it for me). Can someone please tell me how many checked bags we are allowed? With it being a 16 day cruise, I'm not sure I can squeeze everything into one 50 lb bag. I've learned to travel light, but...

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

The problem is with the airlines: if you can get it to the dock the ship will put it on board within reason, although you have to find somewhere to put it in your cabin. There are companies that will take your stuff from your home and deliver it to the dock. I've never used one so can't provide a review, but perhaps this will be a solution for you.

Wow! Didn't realize flying in a day early could cost so much! Thank you for the insights.

Maybe we'll use some of the money saved by NOT flying in early on checking another bag :). Really don't want to send my luggage without me, but thanks for the information regarding sending it separate.

I appreciate all the answers.

We have gone for 30 day with 1 bag each usually under 50 lbs ..

I do use the self server laundry room to save on the extra baggage

Think light, mix & match & quick dry :D

In the grand scheme of things paying the deviation fee to choose your flights it worth the cost IMO

Enjoy

Edited by LHT28

The problem is with the airlines: if you can get it to the dock the ship will put it on board within reason, although you have to find somewhere to put it in your cabin. There are companies that will take your stuff from your home and deliver it to the dock. I've never used one so can't provide a review, but perhaps this will be a solution for you.

Is by UPS or FED ex. Presently you can only get this service, to my knowledge for domestic and not international.

You can ship international however and you will have to pay a brokerage/ customs duty. Your bags will be treated as commerce and their contents may be subject to duty. Since they are not traveling with you , your personal exemptions may not apply.

When you export your luggage you will have to have filed a claim for refund. again with a broker. You too may need an temp import and export license/permit from US Customs and post a temporary bond..

A 50 lb bag to Australia from San Francisco, will run about $4.50 a pound with 4 day service Add duty and FED ex brokerage charges to clear it through customs. and your looking at $250 per bag each way plus duty and NZ customs fees..

I used to fly cargos from Sydney Tokyo , London, NZ and Malaysia of all sizes from tons to single boxes.... there is a lot to it

You won't need that many clothes. It is hot and humid there. Oceania is not a dress up line.

However, on the subject of a day early...I would do it so you can get acclimated, unless you want to spend a couple of days getting accustomed to the huge time change.

My opinion only.

Okay, one bag each it is. As for the deviation fees, Assume my TA can find the different flights for us, correct? New to all this. OR, do we wait for the flight plan from Oceania and then look at carriers they use for other flight options? Thanks for your patience.

Okay, one bag each it is. As for the deviation fees, Assume my TA can find the different flights for us, correct? New to all this. OR, do we wait for the flight plan from Oceania and then look at carriers they use for other flight options? Thanks for your patience.

Do not try to control the world.... I would however explore ways to get a business class seat and your going t have 14.5 hour and 5 hours in the air non stop.... Spend you money on business class... read the thread on how to get a free on in a few months

With Business you get 2 70 lb bags each free.......

Oh n shipping a suitcase to NZ or Australia.... their customs laws prohibit all shipments of personal effects....period. Has to come as attended baggage.

Sorry, not correct at all. Either you or you in conjunction with your TA, if they will participate need to check schedules and pick several options for your flights each way as round trip flights. Your TA will then submit them to Oceania and Oceania will check on the flights and go back thru your TA with any price increases or say that a particular pairing is no extra charge other than the $150 pp that you have to pay for any deviation. You don't pay the $150 pp or the upcharge, if any until you agree with one of the routings Oceania provides. This can go back and forth multiple times until you agree or you simply go back to the regular flights that Oceania will provide included in your fare.

With your cruise in March, you are a bit late at this process as most people start when they can which is 270 days out from departure. Good luck and ask any more questions and we'll try to help.

Surprised your TA in unaware of this process. They should be the once guiding your thru this process. They are getting a pretty penny for your booking and you should be using a TA familiar with the Oceania product. YOu definately don't want to wait as you won't get your Oceania flights until 75 days out and almost for sure will be too late for your own flights. And, the you won't know any more then than now regarding which airlines. Your choices are Air Tahiti Nui, daily and Air France twice a week from Los Angeles. That's about it so why you really need to do this ASAP as other were doing this 6 months ago.

Edited by rallydave

Ask your Agent to look into flights now. It's a complicated procedure, but if you don't deviate then Oceania won't purchase your airline tickets until you make final payment on the cruise, and by then it is often too late to make alternative arrangements.

We flew Qantas and they weigh carryons at the gate. Low allowance. Maybe 12lbs total. Be aware.

One more thing to consider.

I have been shopping for travel clothes the last few years. I pick up print tops (small stains don't show) in very lightweight fabrics that wash and dry quickly, on sale at the end of season. Likewise with lightweight pants and skirts. More clothes in less space and less weight.

We went to Florida for a week last month with carryons only. Both of us had stuff we never wore. But we had more than 12 lbs!

Good luck.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ask your Agent to look into flights now. It's a complicated procedure, but if you don't deviate then Oceania won't purchase your airline tickets until you make final payment on the cruise, and by then it is often too late to make alternative arrangements.

I thought you had to make final payment before O tickets you whether you deviate or not. :confused:

I thought you had to make final payment before O tickets you whether you deviate or not. :confused:

That is correct, the tickets are not purchased until after Final Payment, but what was at question here was when the passenger would learn which route Oceania was planning for them, and if one Deviates, one knows the route. ;)

I truly appreciate all the advice and input from everyone. Not having been on a cruise that was longer than 8 days made me nervous about the packing, but am calmer now. Do we send laundry out or do it ourselves?

As for air travel, have contacted my TA and will make final payment today to get ball rolling in that area. Friends of ours just returned from a trans Atlantic cruise and they paid a deviation fee and were happy with their flights.

Thank you for the information about the carry on weight. Good to know I shouldn't overstuff that. I assume the one carry on is in addition to a purse?

You can either send it to the laundry and dry cleaner or do it yourself. I am lazy--I send mine out. One pair of slacks should be enough like black and then different blouses. I only take two colors in shoes--black or gold. Gold goes with everything. Most of my clothes are black so they don't show dirt.

I agree if you can afford business--it is a long, long, flight--even for us from the West Coast. It is the most beautiful place in the world, but well worth it.

As for air travel, have contacted my TA and will make final payment today to get ball rolling in that area. Friends of ours just returned from a trans Atlantic cruise and they paid a deviation fee and were happy with their flights.

I'm still a little worried that you find the process confusing because when one Deviates, the PASSENGER OKAYS THE FLIGHTS before they are booked.

The Flights which are available may not suit you completely, but at least the option of which one to choose will be yours.

Have a wonderful trip! :D

Will try to make this a bit simpler.

You can book air 270 days before your cruise if you are deviating.

Suggest you find 3 or so flights that you like. Try to include Delta if possible since Oceania was using Delta recently.

Call Oceania directly (this is one time I do not suggest going through your TA -- too much going back and forth and waiting for answers). Just call Oceania and ask to be connected to their air department. They will need your booking number. You can work out the flight details with them and get everything taken care of in one phone call.

Hope this helps!

Okay, got it. I understand if we deviate, we will be given choices before booking. I also understand Oceania will book flights for us 75 days out from the cruise (per TA) and at that time we have the option to deviate.

As for calling Oceania directly, we have tried that several times, but never get an option to "connect" with a live person. Anyone have a working phone number that will give us that option?

Also, just a note regarding early arrival; I believe someone mentioned we would have to pay a deviation fee if we chose to go in a day early. Actually, if we book a "Pre cruise stay" through Oceania, we would not have to pay that fee. (Apologies if that was implied and I simply misunderstood.)

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Edited by SweetPease
redundant

As for calling Oceania directly, we have tried that several times, but never get an option to "connect" with a live person. Anyone have a working phone number that will give us that option?

If you booked the Cruise through an Agent, then any significant changes or requests must be made through that Agent. Believe me, you will find everything less complicated if you do it that way.

Besides, why would you hire a Professional to handle a business relationship FOR YOU, and then try to "do it yourself"???

You are right! That's why I started with a TA in the first place. Happy to say, we are booked and paid in full! Countdown begins....:D

Since you are going to traveling at least 24 hours, +10 hour time zone change.. and will be in the air 20.5 hours, I urge you to consider getting business class rather than several days.

Why, travel of that length with that many hours of time zone change is going to make coach seem like hell. You will arrive at 7am but your body will tell you its 9pm the night before. Stick in a 17.5 inch seat that reclines 2.5 inches spaced at 32 inches apart is going to make it even more fun !I took this route 4 times. First time in coach, and from LAX. 12 hours into the flight of 15.5 hours non stop... passengers were asking the cabin attendants to kill them because the could not endure any more Next 3 in Business....

This is one of the 3 longest non stop routes in the world You leave LAX about 11 pm and arrive at 7 am a day later

Arriving after these condition it will take you several days at least, to even start to get used to it. This means arriving 2 days before is pointless because those 2 days are zombie days. If you must arrive early, make it 4 days min so that you can get a few real days to see stuff and time to adjust.

Until you have flown this route you have no idea what the time and the coach seats can do to normal person.

Beg borrow or steal but get a lie flat business seat... makes into a wonderful bed, wide seats, good meals, large pillows and comforters...