Legend of the Seas Refurbishment

HVL

My spouse and I are planning a cruise on Legend Feb 2014 to the Southern Caribbean. Chose this cruise ship because of the itinerary Aruba, Bonaire, etc. We are somewhat apprehensive about this ship because of the age of the ship and mainly b/c of the reviews we were reading on its recent sale in the Mediterranean. Consistent negative reviews of the food, sewage odours, plumbing, dated and people generally were unhappy with the ship. Would appreciate comments from people that have cruised on Legend to the Caribbean. (Would like to stay with RCI but, considering Celebrity instead).

We spent 13 days on Legend a few weeks ago on a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. We were in a JS on deck 8. We had no problems with plumbing or sewage smell. We also thought the food was on par with other Royal ships that we've been on in the last year or so.

The crew was exceptional, and the condition of the ship was excellent. We especially liked the placement of the new DL and CL, plus the addition of Park Cafe in the Solarium. We also thought they took took much space out of Viking Crown to add Izumi and Chops. Basically only one-third of Viking Crown is available as a lounge now, and the prime seating looking forward is part of Izumi.

Edited by clarea

I was on the same transatlantic cruise that Bob mentioned above. We enjoyed our cruise on the Legend.

I did a review with pictures at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1943590

I included many pictures and told about the activities aboard.

I think you will like legend of the Seas as long as you do not expect it to have lots of activity venues [i.e. ice rink, in line skating, etc]

PS--in 13 days I never smelled any odors.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
added PS

We're in 8070 on Jan cruise

How was your suite?

I'll check the review

Thanks

We were in 8040, which is right under the Diamond Lounge. For us it was a perfect location, a few staterooms down from the elevators/stairs, but far enough not to get any sound from the centrum. Speaking of sound from the centrum, the volume level of the music in the centrum on Legend was perfect for us. This is the opposite of our experience on Enchantment this past September where the music was painfully loud. It was near impossible to conduct business at Guest Services on Enchantment due to the high sound level.

If you use the Fitness Center, you will like your location. There is a stairway very near your stateroom that leads right up to the Fitness Center.

Edited by clarea

You may also want to look at the All Things Legend of the Seas (Post Refurbishment) thread at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1836889

I also wrote a revew on our time aboard Legend this past summer in the Med - see below signature for link to the review.

In the All Things Legend thread mentioned above there are also a number of links to other reviews including DragonOfTheSeas.

Edited by Travel R

We were in 8040, which is right under the Diamond Lounge. For us it was a perfect location, a few staterooms down from the elevators/stairs, but far enough not to get any sound from the centrum. Speaking of sound from the centrum, the volume level of the music in the centrum on Legend was perfect for us. This is the opposite of our experience on Enchantment this past September where the music was painfully loud. It was near impossible to conduct business at Guest Services on Enchantment due to the high sound level.

If you use the Fitness Center, you will like your location. There is a stairway very near your stateroom that leads right up to the Fitness Center.

Bob

Hi Bob, we are going on the Legend to the Panama Canal November of 2014 and staying on 8040. Thanks for the info!

Hi Bob, we are going on the Legend to the Panama Canal November of 2014 and staying on 8040. Thanks for the info!

I'm jealous!:) We would love to do the canal, but haven't been able to swing it yet.

We just did 15 day Panama cruise. We had an inside cabin amidships, 8051. Nicely refurbished with no odors.

We ate main dining every night and thought the food was above par for Royal Caribbean. Pleasantly surprised. :) nice variety for a 15 day cruise.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

So glad to hear the many positives of the Legend of the Seas. We are on her for a 10 day Southern Caribbean right after New Year's. We had a post in our roll call thread from a cruiser who recently cruised on the Legend citing several negatives. Guess we were being warned. :p Didn't recognize the poster as one who had been on our roll call previously, so I am rather perplexed about the post. DH and I were talking about it earlier and how two cruisers can be on the same ship at the same time with such a varied experience. :)

PCWalton, I caught your live review of your recent Panama Canal cruise. So enjoyed it since I'd been on a Panama Canal in September. I really liked your itinerary. I was with another cruise line with a friend and the price was right. Did miss RCCL. The canal is amazing.

Thanks again to all for sharing your experiences.

• 1 month later...

I appreciate hearing the positive reviews, thanks. The information and photos are very helpful. There are still consistently negative reviews being posted about the food & service on the legend and advice not to choose this ship. Therefore, we are somewhat concerned and worried. We sail in February and are hoping that it's not going to be as bad as the reviews state. It's hard to ignore them when they all say the same. All of your positive replies and information to this thread have helped, thanks - just wish there were more positive reviews about the ship being posted.

HVL

I appreciate hearing the positive reviews, thanks. The information and photos are very helpful. There are still consistently negative reviews being posted about the food & service on the legend and advice not to choose this ship. Therefore, we are somewhat concerned and worried. We sail in February and are hoping that it's not going to be as bad as the reviews state. It's hard to ignore them when they all say the same. All of your positive replies and information to this thread have helped, thanks - just wish there were more positive reviews about the ship being posted.

HVL

We did the Panama Canal from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale in Nov/December of 2013.

Absolutely no complaints about the food or anything. A spectacular waiter for MTD.

We were in one of the new Balcony rooms on deck 6, and were more than satisfied with the accommodations. We had an excellent room attendant, that I felt went above and beyond.

Your experience may vary as I heard others complain. We however are pretty easy to please. :p I think people who had a bad experience are more prone to doing a review than those of us who had a great time. That is the third time we cruised on a ship in that class, and by far this was our favorite.

I would book again with out a hesitation.

We were in JS 8040 for the 12/12 cruise, and the cabin had almost been put back together, after being trashed from someone living there on the TA!

Just kidding, the cabin was wonderful, but have to say that the furniture was not refurbished, but in good condition. When we revisited our original cabin on the Legend, 8502, which is an OS just behind the RS, we found the original......almost everything looking as we had left it, last time, 9 years ago, except the TV and sound system, which has been upgraded.

We loved many things that Bob has mentioned, from Izumi's, to Chops, and the fact that there is little viewing space now, only one one side, the starboard side, as well as a small space for bar seats, and an area, of tables and chairs, where we spent some time with a few officers for an informal chat with crewmembers that we have known. The area is so remote, that we only had one other passenger come over to ask an officer a question.

In the Centrium........the shows were not that exciting....at least to me. My DW was aboard the Raphsody in Alaska...........and had the same opinion. These are the trapise acts.......good, not many, and some of the original artifacts, in the Centrium of the Legend are gone. There are still pictures, but, unless you were aboard before the refurbishment, they would make no sense.

We love the new carpeting in the public spaces. We miss some of the original pieces that made Legend, like mentioned above........what she was.

For those that have never travelled on the Legend.......she is a beautiful ship, with a wonderful staff.........and will always be enjoyed.

For me.......it's not the same, but still a wonderful ship! Royal Caribbean has made some awesome changes.........Park Cafe for one!:) The Royal red carpeting in the open spaces for another.

Overall, I would sail on this ship any time that I would have a chance. She is small (compared to the Bemouths of the Seas) but that makes for intimate sailing. I believe she holds just under 2500 pax, so compared to Azamara's ships at 690 pax, well, you get my drift.

The Legend of the Seas was our very first Royal Caribbean experience......in 2003, that captured our hearts, and why, although they have taken all ships away from the West Coast.........we fly to where they are.......because they still give us a value.......that we cannot find on other lines.;)

Rick

Just got off her this past Friday. I found the ship to be in excellent physical condition, I've been on much newer ships that showed far more age, it really sparkled. The crew with few exceptions was upbeat and attentative. Buffet food may have lacked variety, but it was tastefully prepared. MDR service was up and down (if you get duds, move the next night). We ended up with an amazing pair of wait persons. MDR food was very good.

I think that Legend/Splendour hold far less then 2,500, maybe 1,900.

Correct, Legend and Splendour are the smallest ships in the fleet, and hold the fewest passengers. They also told us they are the fastest ships in the fleet.

We were in JS 8040 for the 12/12 cruise, and the cabin had almost been put back together, after being trashed from someone living there on the TA!...

I hate it when people trash the staterooms.:p