Are specialty restaurants getting too dear?

Gerko

Good post Barry. At the end of the day, the food I eat on any cruise ship is better than the food I eat at home! Also cruise ship tucker is comparable or better than most club/pub food, which is my usual feeding place outside home.

I sometimes think that if somebody put a bag over my head while I am eating -- I wouldn't really know what it is that I am eating :)

Barry

I think the reason could be 'aging taste buds'. Nothing tastes as good as it did when we were much younger. :D You should hear my nearly-93 y.o. m-in-law complain about tasteless food and tasteless coffee (even the strong stuff).:)

I think the reason could be 'aging taste buds'. Nothing tastes as good as it did when we were much younger. :D You should hear my nearly-93 y.o. m-in-law complain about tasteless food and tasteless coffee (even the strong stuff).:)

Yes, I rememebr how strong/ salty/ spicy some foods were when I was a child and now they seem almost bland.:D

We cruised twice with RCI this year -- and thought the MDR food was much the same as the MDR food in all other ships we have been on (from P&O AUS to Cunard) .. I call it "International hotel food". I sometimes think that if somebody put a bag over my head while I am eating -- I wouldn't really know what it is that I am eating :)

It seems to be a common thing that people claim the standard of food in xyz cruisline is falling. Maybe it is falling in all of them - in accordance with the fall in cruise fares over the years. Perhaps people who used to cruise in a long ago "Golden Age" of cruising (when people like me would never have dreamt or even imagined doing such a thing) have very good memories to remember what they ate on some ship in 1966???

Ships today are part of the mass tourism -- they are basically not much more than floating Butlin's holiday camps -- in another era. But I will bet that the food in Butlin's camps wasn't as good as what you will find on RCL today! :)

Barry

Hehe i use to go to Butlins for holidays as a child of the 60's :D Now come to think of it Pacific Dawn is very simular

Edited by joejoe 59

Just off Solstice and their specialty restaurants have gone up since we were on her in Feb. I feel they are overpriced as the food in the main dining room was excellent. Most cruises we go to one or two but this time we were happy to eat in the dining room.

Murano has gone from $30pp to $45 and Silks and the Tuscan Grill have gone from $20 to $30:(

The other thing to remember is that the extra you pay for these venues is over and above what you have already paid for food in the cruise fare..:eek:

True but as said before, for a special occasion it does give the evening that something extra.:D

Speciality food does seem to be very much in fashion, the only improvement they could make for me personally is to supply less exotic food and more basic Australian food in the regular restaurants :), but I am obviously in a minority.

If people really enjoy paying extra to feel special I am happy for them and for a special occasion they are a great idea, but not at $100 per couple when the meal is already paid for.:confused:

Speciality food does seem to be very much in fashion, the only improvement they could make for me personally is to supply less exotic food and more basic Australian food in the regular restaurants :), but I am obviously in a minority.

If people really enjoy paying extra to feel special I am happy for them and for a special occasion they are a great idea, but not at $100 per couple when the meal is already paid for.:confused:

People do all sorts of things for their own personal reasons, cabin choice is one that comes to mind.:D

People do all sorts of things for their own personal reasons, cabin choice is one that comes to mind.:D

Exactly. People choose to pay extra (often double, triple or even more) to have suites or balconies or OV cabins, or to fly 1st or business class, or to buy VIP, access all areas, platinum, gold or silver concert tickets etc etc etc rather than taking the lowest category. It's called choice. Whether it's worth it is up to the individual.

Exactly. People choose to pay extra (often double, triple or even more) to have suites or balconies or OV cabins, or to fly 1st or business class, or to buy VIP, access all areas, platinum, gold or silver concert tickets etc etc etc rather than taking the lowest category. It's called choice. Whether it's worth it is up to the individual.

Yes, everyone makes their choices for whatever reasons (cost does not always play a part in these decisions). I choose to cruise rather than working all year round or staying at home eating bread and beans.:p

Yes, everyone makes their choices for whatever reasons (cost does not always play a part in these decisions). I choose to cruise rather than working all year round or staying at home eating bread and beans.:p

Whaaat?A Canberran eating bread and beans ? I thought you rich mob over the mountain lived on Lobster, Oysters and Bollinger Bubbly. LOL.

Yes at the end of the day it is freedom of choice and the money in your pocket that has bearing on what you spend on a cruise.

Edited by NSWP

Whaaat?A Canberran eating bread and beans ? I thought you rich mob over the mountain lived on Lobster, Oysters and Bollinger Bubbly. LOL.

Yes at the end of the day it is freedom of choice and the money in your pocket that has bearing on what you spend on a cruise.

I do not eat bread and beans, I choose to cruise. LOL.:D