RCCL selling Rhapsody and Legend?

The source was a CC member . . Here is a quote-

"Also, we have booked ourselves on a repositioning on Rhapsody. She will be in our waters for the 2014-15 summer, but instead of returning to do the Alaska run she is being sold to cruise B2B2B Sydney-Singapore, Singapore-Dubai, Dubai-Turkey.

Think that's OZspeak for those routes available to book :D

Edited by pspercy

The Majesty has scheduled sailings until March of 2015. As far as the vision class ships go others have already posted they have just spent a ton of money upgrading these. Even with all the new ships coming on-line in the next 4 years I doubt that any of the Vision class ships will be sold as they fill a unique niche in RCI's market and can visit many ports that the larger ships cannot. Also many of their cruises are longer and do not appeal to the large numbers of passengers that are required to fill the newer ships.

We just came off of Majesty this past weekend following Thanksgiving. We have a nice friend who works for RCCL -- on the ships staff, in a high end position (so I can rely on the words he has to say) who informed us that Majesty should be cruising until sometime in 2016. By then Royal will have brought out 3 new ships (Quantum, Anthem and one more in the Oasis Class). At that time, Royal will be retiring Majesty.

We just came off of Majesty this past weekend following Thanksgiving. We have a nice friend who works for RCCL -- on the ships staff, in a high end position (so I can rely on the words he has to say) who informed us that Majesty should be cruising until sometime in 2016. By then Royal will have brought out 3 new ships (Quantum, Anthem and one more in the Oasis Class). At that time, Royal will be retiring Majesty.
Will RCI be totally retiring Majesty or transferring it to Pullmantur?

Will RCI be totally retiring Majesty or transferring it to Pullmantur?

If it can be sold/transferred to Pullmantur, it probably would be -- it sure would make sense -- either way it won't be part of the Royal cruise line.

We have cruised on Her Majesty, 10 times now....and would enjoy going out on her final Royal cruise whenever it takes place.

I am convinced that RCI could produce some pretty fantastic ships that helped relive the more classic cruising of the past and not simply these huge megalithes with ever imaginable bauble. Sadly I suppose those ships do not bring in the profits necessary to help fund these ships that can only sail to 5 or 6 ports. Some of us still like cruising without all the Vegas style upgrades. Some love the huge ships where the ships themselves are the destination. Others don't. I would hate to think we would leave RCI after over 20 years but if all the offerings in the future are the mega ships we just may to have leave, even if that means giving up all the C&A benefits we have accumulated.

Edited by rharvey999

Everyone has a friend who works for royal in a high up position.:rolleyes:

You can always get the straight scoop from the Philippine deck washing crew around 4AM, they are the ones in the know;)! Seriously, bouncing off the rails varnished or not varnished... the first time I ran into that was on the Freedom a couple of weeks after she first came to Port Canaveral. Rails in the public area were varnished, however all those on balconies were not. It was very large grained wood left au natural. On a few subsequent cruises on different ships I noticed similar rails unfinished. I wanted to do a fleet wide survey, but the necessary funding was not appropriated! On the most recent cruises I seem to notice more rails varnished than unvarnished. Maybe it was part of some project to eliminate varnishing the rails to save on $$ that they have not implemented?

I listened to a recent Cruise Radio podcast today where they discussed Rhapsody not doing the 2015 Alaska season - instead after her Australia/ Asia season she will head up to Istanbul for the Europe season in 2015.

I would love that! Just waiting for the 2015 Europe and Med schedule to be released. For us Rhapsody is the perfect size ship. :)

..... how rumours are started..... create a thread and provide no evidence.... sigh.....

NorbertsNiece

I was not trying to start a "rumour", I was asking a question.

So the "sold" just means the ship leaves one market for another?

Are you able to answer my above question? Does "sold" mean moving from one market to another?

From the financial ledger standpoint it is sold to another company, even if that company is another division of the overall 'holding company'. It still does get sold to it.

The two companies operate separately.

No, as pspercy said, from the context I take it to simply mean "cruises are now being sold on this ship" on the B2B2B routing.

It's in my mind that this was a change of plan, so the fact that the cruises went on sale was significant.

Perhaps it would be simplest to ask the poster who,you refuse to name what they meant....

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

We have not sailed on any of the Vision Class or Voyager Class yet, but we have two Radiance Class sailings, ( Brilliance & Radiance ) & 1 Freedom Class, the LOS. We will be back on the Radiance this coming March for our b2b2b Australia trip. I would like to see another Radiance Class built.

We have not sailed on any of the Vision Class or Voyager Class yet, but we have two Radiance Class sailings, ( Brilliance & Radiance ) & 1 Freedom Class, the LOS. We will be back on the Radiance this coming March for our b2b2b Australia trip. I would like to see another Radiance Class built.

You are among thousands of others who have a similar desire. However, RCI has determined that it is not economically feasible to build and profitably operate more ships of this design and size. The Quantum and Anthem ships will incorporate a number of the features most valued on Radiance class and may prove to be a satisfactory substitute. The good news is that, given the anticipated life expectancy of most cruise ships, we should have Radiance class ships available to us for at least a few more decades.:)

You can always get the straight scoop from the Philippine deck washing crew around 4AM, they are the ones in the know;)! Seriously, bouncing off the rails varnished or not varnished... the first time I ran into that was on the Freedom a couple of weeks after she first came to Port Canaveral. Rails in the public area were varnished, however all those on balconies were not. It was very large grained wood left au natural. On a few subsequent cruises on different ships I noticed similar rails unfinished. I wanted to do a fleet wide survey, but the necessary funding was not appropriated! On the most recent cruises I seem to notice more rails varnished than unvarnished. Maybe it was part of some project to eliminate varnishing the rails to save on $$ that they have not implemented?

What? You couldn't get your local congressman to get D.C. to provided the funding on what is a extremely important study? :p

Bill

What? You couldn't get your local congressman to get D.C. to provided the funding on what is a extremely important study? :p

Bill

I tried, but he kept mentioning stuff like sequestration, balanced budget, government shut down... think he was trying give me a runaround. Anyway, he got my six votes!!!!

negc, what my husband & I personally like about the Radiance Class other then the views the ship offers, is her size. We maybe in the minority from the views I have read from many regarding the Freedom Class design, we didn't care for the Royal Promenade. The LOS is a beautiful ship service everything during our Barcelona TA was excellant. Initially upon trying to walk thru on Deck 4, we found we were blocked and had to use the RP to get to the other end and the Theater which was easy enough to do from our Deck 8. I would be very interested in seeing the Quantum myself.:)

Edited by Desert Cruizers