Maasdam Short Review: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

G&G

Since you were kind enough to correct the list to add silver, may I also add platinum, which has also been around since the Mariner medallion program was changed back sometime around 1999-2000. That was when the first medallion was changed from silver on a blue & orange ribbon, to a copper medallion on a dark blue ribbon.

The noticeable differentiation between silver and platinum medallions is the ribbon color; platinum medallions are on a white ribbon.

How many days does a person need for platinum? 750? 1000?

I'll bet you have one of each.

Edited by sapper1

oh, how i just LOVE it. guests and crew competing for lido lefties. stealing them. because they are hungry. what a 'picture' this presents for a so-called 'premium cruise line'. no food, no napkins, fights over what food is available. wow, wow, wow. crew and passengers hoarding food in their cabins. not even cocktail napkins in the bars. yeah, pay a primium price, but you will have to put up a fight for the food. ha. buy your food in port and bring it onboard -- just not with wine. is hal advertising that now one must bring food onboard to avoid starvation? remember college dorms? don't forget the burner and the noodles. and pack a small pan and some plastic ware. welcome to HAL.

It does make for kinda fun reading doesn't it?:D

How many days does a person need for platinum? 750? 1000?

I'll bet you have one of each.

700 actual days earns you the platinum medallion, which I am diligently working on.

I haven't calculated if that comes on the last cruise I currently have booked, but it's close.

I have the old silver medallion, then was downgraded to the copper medallion when the new program came to be. I then earned back the "new" silver, and gold medallions. One day at a time. :D

oh, how i just LOVE it. guests and crew competing for lido lefties. stealing them. because they are hungry. what a 'picture' this presents for a so-called 'premium cruise line'. no food, no napkins, fights over what food is available. wow, wow, wow. crew and passengers hoarding food in their cabins. not even cocktail napkins in the bars. yeah, pay a primium price, but you will have to put up a fight for the food. ha. buy your food in port and bring it onboard -- just not with wine. is hal advertising that now one must bring food onboard to avoid starvation? remember college dorms? don't forget the burner and the noodles. and pack a small pan and some plastic ware. welcome to HAL.

If you're so unhappy with HAL why are you still here? I don't get it. You've posted nothing but negative things and aren't even trying to be productive. Please don't blame it on your cancer either... because I'm 43 and only have an expected life of about 2-3 years left because of it. Is this really how you want to live your life? Bitter and angry?

Edited by sherilyn70

If you're so unhappy with HAL why are you still here? I don't get it. You've posted nothing but negative things and aren't even trying to be productive. Please don't blame it on your cancer either... because I'm 43 and only have an expected life of about 2-3 years left because of it. Is this really how you want to live your life? Bitter and angry?

Sherilyn, it's because your glass is half full instead of being half empty. All the best to you.

Sherilyn, it's because your glass is half full instead of being half empty. All the best to you.

Thank you. :) I've learned that we have to live and try to enjoy every single moment we have. Sometimes there are bad parts in these moments, but they are just that... only moments and we need to focus on the good and positive things in our lives and be thankful. Hopefully I will far exceed the medical statistics (and the doctors think it's very possible because I refuse to just give up and let this consume me) and still be cruising 20 years from now. Until then, I just keep enjoying life and completing my bucket list now rather than later.

Thank you. :) I've learned that we have to live and try to enjoy every single moment we have. Sometimes there are bad parts in these moments, but they are just that... only moments and we need to focus on the good and positive things in our lives and be thankful. Hopefully I will far exceed the medical statistics (and the doctors think it's very possible because I refuse to just give up and let this consume me) and still be cruising 20 years from now. Until then, I just keep enjoying life and completing my bucket list now rather than later.

I firmly believe that attitude is half the battle and you sound like a winner to me.

The Captain and Hotel Manager weren't seen around the ship like on other ships we sailed. You couldn't get through the layers of front desk staff and assistant managers to talk to the Guest Relations Manager. Fortunately we finally connected with an assistant guest relations manager that did some follow up on our issues.

When the Front Office Staff attempts to put us off when we present them with a legitimate concern, I usually ask them (very nicely) if telephoning Seattle (from the ship) regarding our issue would help to expedite and resolve the matter. (I am prepared to carry through on this.) You would be surprised how quickly they will get the GRM and attempt to find resolution as quickly.

Five or six years ago, a DRM told us that one of the passengers sent an email to Seattle from the ship with a list of problems. The passengers attempted to resolve their issues with the onboard staff but to no avail. Needless to say, once Seattle got involved things were quickly put right.

Awesome post! Made my day!:) All the best to you!

Since you were kind enough to correct the list to add silver, may I also add platinum, which has also been around since the Mariner medallion program was changed back sometime around 1999-2000. That was when the first medallion was changed from silver on a blue & orange ribbon, to a copper medallion on a dark blue ribbon.

The noticeable differentiation between silver and platinum medallions is the ribbon color; platinum medallions are on a white ribbon.

One thing I have learned over the years on CC is.... if Ruth says it, then it is so.:D And you can "take it to the bank" as they say.

One thing I have learned over the years on CC is.... if Ruth says it, then it is so.:D And you can "take it to the bank" as they say.

I have certainly learned a lot from her over the years and she has never steered me wrong.

Cruise Critic and Holland America

We had a large group with our Roll Call (130+ pages), with more than 70 people. HAL is not hosting a Facebook get together that had many CC people attending on the morning of our first sea day. CC had our own thing that afternoon. We had let HAL events folks know about it and they had beverages and cookies available. That was great.

Since our cruise was 42-days, most of the passengers were there the entire time. However, it could also be booked as a 21-day cruise FLL to Rome or Rome to FLL. The Maasdam staff had a second get-together after we left Rome and their special events coordinator (I forget her name and that is probably not the official name of the position) asked for cabin numbers then. Anyone who responded (many did not) got the invite to the special cocktail party. Not a huge selection of beverages, but there were three bar servers there. Appetizers were offered and the CD offered a short thank-you and they had a very rich chocolate cake to offer (along with the standard superior HAL coffee).

I enjoyed my time with this. It was one of the nicer things that I have seen from HAL and their relationships with Cruise Critic.

Jim

We gave them our cabin number at the M&G, only problem was that we got our nice invitation the day AFTER the party.

They also ran out of HAL tea bags on day 36 and the area around the drink stations in the Lido always had towels on the floor soaking up water that was leaking out from somewhere. Also the coffee machines on the starboard side never worked.

We are on board for 3 weeks immediately after the drydock in Jan so will see if any of this was fixed.

100% AGREE!!!

It is in the attitude of the person!!

I was given the 2-4 years to live back in Aug 2000 and the Drs said the last 2-4 months would be quantity not quality, so live life to its fullest and be happy. I did. I am. And I wake every morning thanking God that I was able to wake to a new day!!

I have outlived 2 of the Drs that said I would be dead and plan on outliving many many more!!

Heck, I plan on living well past 150 and will continue being me:) Living and loving every day of my life:)

God bless you and may he also keep your attitude as good tomorrow as it is today!!

Joanie

The food hogs mentioned here, IMHO were taking the decorations. For instance a whole papaya was taken, when there was Papaya cut up in a bowl, with the whole ones for decoration. Or grapes used for decoration, and bunches being taken.

You caught me. I remembre. It was a fruit bar at the Lido Pool for lunch. I took a small whole watermelon, put in under my t sheet and walked to my cabin. Nobody noticed :eek: !

I was given the 2-4 years to live back in Aug 2000 and the Drs said the last 2-4 months would be quantity not quality, so live life to its fullest and be happy. I did. I am. And I wake every morning thanking God that I was able to wake to a new day!!

See, I knew we liked each other for a good reason. :D Seems we have something in common here. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to end up on a cruise with you.

See, I knew we liked each other for a good reason. :D Seems we have something in common here. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to end up on a cruise with you.

You gots it!! Maybe we can try and arrange it. We are cancelling our Panama Canal April 11 2015 and have not found exactly what we want, yet........ So we are still booked, but just waiting before cancelling it completely. Got to do the cancellation and new booking at the same time..........Any ideas? (Hint... Hint:) )

LOL, Got so excited at the idea of cruising together that I forgot to format and even forgot to put my name to the post.......Now THA'S Excitement:)

Edited by IRL_Joanie

You gots it!! Maybe we can try and arrange it. We are cancelling our Panama Canal April 11 2015 and have not found exactly what we want, yet........ So we are still booked, but just waiting before cancelling it completely. Got to do the cancellation and new booking at the same time..........Any ideas? (Hint... Hint:) )

LOL, Got so excited at the idea of cruising together that I forgot to format and even forgot to put my name to the post.......Now THA'S Excitement:)

Joanie - did you use Future Cruise Deposits to book your cruise? If you did, you have no worries. They just go back in your bank :) they stay available for you to use whenever you wish (as long as you use them prior to expiry).

Just in case it is of help:)

No you don't. If you used a Future Cruise Deposit, it simply goes back "in the bank" to be used when you decide on another cruise. I know, I've done it a few times.

No you don't. If you used a Future Cruise Deposit, it simply goes back "in the bank" to be used when you decide on another cruise. I know, I've done it a few times.

:confused::confused: I said nothing about a FCD or what type of Booking deposit I made. I do believe you mean to correct some one else? You make it seem as if I made the statement and that is incorrect.

And as to cancelling and rebooking, That is all handled on the phone with my PCC so I do not see any concern from my end:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

:confused::confused: I said nothing about a FCD or what type of Booking deposit I made. I do believe you mean to correct some one else? You make it seam as if I made the statement and that is incorrect.

And as to cancelling and rebooking, That is all handled on the phone with my PCC so I do not see any concern from my end:)

Joanie

Check again. I said "IF YOU USED" a FCD. If it was a regular deposit same thing applies. You get the money back. You don't have to wait to book a cruise to cancel another.

Joanie - did you use Future Cruise Deposits to book your cruise? If you did, you have no worries. They just go back in your bank :) they stay available for you to use whenever you wish (as long as you use them prior to expiry).

Just in case it is of help:)

Thanks Jacqui for this info. I've no idea if we used FCD or not for the PC Apr 2015. We have 4 cruises booked right now and I cannot for the life of me remember % or FCD.......

What I do know is that this info may help someone else and that is a great thing:)

Joanie

:confused::confused: I said nothing about a FCD or what type of Booking deposit I made. I do believe you mean to correct some one else? You make it seem as if I made the statement and that is incorrect.

Joanie

Startwin's advice may help someone else and that is a good thing. She was just trying to be helpful to you just as you try to help others. :). Kazu gave the same advice and you thanked her.

Edited by sapper1

We just signed for the AA cruise for 2014. We hope that the problems with air and water are resolved. Perhaps the ship will go into dry dock before our cruise. Does anyone know?

D

She's going into dry dock in January but I don't know the dates. I was told they will be replacing the floor around the lido pool and repairing the sliding roof over the pool....that is all I heard said.