Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

We usually do 14 night or longer cruises. I bring one tuxedo, three tuxedo shirts and three different long ties. The rest is smart casual attire. The tux is actually easier to travel with.

SDT

PS: The air restriction/luggage weight arguement is BS!

You wear long ties with your tux! That is faux formal. Formal is self tied bow tie. Might as well just pack a suit. Some might say you are degrading the definition and tradition of formal wear ....

If you are comparing packing a suit to a tux I would agree with you about the luggage argument being BS but I think that those who make the argument don't intend to pack a suit or a tux.

Personally I have stopped packing the tux in favor of a suit for the reason others have mentioned. More flexibility. When I do a European cruise I do pre or post cruise travel too. Having a suit which can also be used in parts is more flexible. And despite what some others propose no way I am going to pack both a tux and a suit. So sadly my two tuxes sit in the closet waiting for the increasingly rare formal dress invitation. Most wearing tuxes these days are waiters.

Matter of fact I gave up wearing tuxes on Celebrity's Bermuda cruises when I noted I was the only passenger wearing one, one particular sailing, only waiters were wearing them, and a fellow passenger mistook me for a waiter.

Also there is a growing trend to only pack carry on bags. Difficult to pack a tux in a carry on. But you could pack enough casual wear in a carry on for a cruise. I know several who do just that. They go to the formal dinners with a dress shirt and tie. They actually fit in quite well since some men take off their jacket when they sit down.

Edited by Charles4515

You wear long ties with your tux! That is faux formal. Formal is self tied bow tie. Might as well just pack a suit. Some might say you are degrading the definition and tradition of formal wear ....

If you are comparing packing a suit to a tux I would agree with you about the luggage argument being BS but I think that those who make the argument don't intend to pack a suit or a tux.

Personally I have stopped packing the tux in favor of a suit for the reason others have mentioned. More flexibility. When I do a European cruise I do pre or post cruise travel too. Having a suit which can also be used in parts is more flexible. And despite what some others propose no way I am going to pack both a tux and a suit. So sadly my two tuxes sit in the closet waiting for the increasingly rare formal dress invitation. Most wearing tuxes these days are waiters.

Matter of fact I gave up wearing tuxes on Celebrity's Bermuda cruises when I noted I was the only passenger wearing one, one particular sailing, only waiters were wearing them, and a fellow passenger mistook me for a waiter.

Also there is a growing trend to only pack carry on bags. Difficult to pack a tux in a carry on. But you could pack enough casual wear in a carry on for a cruise. I know several who do just that. They go to the formal dinners with a dress shirt and tie. They actually fit in quite well since some men take off their jacket when they sit down.

You don't have to be dressed in a tux for that to happen. One time I was just dressed casually and was carrying a tray of drinks and some people thought that they were free for anyone. I corrected them pretty quickly.:D

DH does not wear Tuxes unless it's a wedding and he has to.

that said - we are gonig on the Silhouette next month in Aqua Class. When I told DH that he doesn't need a suit for formal night since Blu is smart casual every night. He responded that of course he was bringing his suit for formal nights. After all, when not in Blu eating, he wants to fit in with everyone else. AND HE HATES wearing a suit and tie!!!!

So we will be packing his suit, dress shirt, and tie and my long skirt with a couple of dressy tops for the formal nights. :D

that said - we are gonig on the Silhouette next month in Aqua Class. When I told DH that he doesn't need a suit for formal night since Blu is smart casual every night. He responded that of course he was bringing his suit for formal nights. After all, when not in Blu eating, he wants to fit in with everyone else. AND HE HATES wearing a suit and tie!!!!

So we will be packing his suit, dress shirt, and tie and my long skirt with a couple of dressy tops for the formal nights. :D

Nice to see your husband has respect for Celebrity and his fellow passengers. :)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

Nice to see your husband has respect for Celebrity and his fellow passengers. :)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

The husband is in AQ/Blu - no disrespect whatsoever to wear smart casual as that is the requirement for Blu - many of us book AQ and pay a premium to do so because we hate dressing up so much - doesn't make me a slob - doesn't make me disrespectful... as long as I follow the rules set down by Celebrity!

In November we were on a Viking River cruise on the Danube -- that cruise line has NO DRESS CODES -- and everyone dressed appropriately every night for dinner: men wore black slacks or khakis or nice jeans, golf shirts or long sleeve polos, sweaters, semi-dress shirts without ties, some sport coats, some vests -- women generally wore black slacks & semi-dressy tops or sweaters, a few dresses. It is soooooo nice not to worry about clothes. Also bringing local wines on board is encouraged & no corkage fee --- that was quite pleasant!!

My opinion based on 36 cruises is that the major cruise lines should do away with "formal nights"!!! For past 5 years Mike has simply brought black or grey or blue slacks & a nice sport coat & either a dress shirt+tie or a nice golf shirt.

It's a matter of choice for people to make, as it really is quite easy. :D

The husband is in AQ/Blu - no disrespect whatsoever to wear smart casual as that is the requirement for Blu - many of us book AQ and pay a premium to do so because we hate dressing up so much - doesn't make me a slob - doesn't make me disrespectful... as long as I follow the rules set down by Celebrity!

Maybe you should read the post again? Maybe?

PS: We're about half way to Zenith and we always book an Aqua Class cabin. On formal nights we dress formal even in Blu. "doesn't make me a slob - doesn't make me disrespectful..."

PS: We're about half way to Zenith and we always book an Aqua Class cabin. On formal nights we dress formal even in Blu. "doesn't make me a slob - doesn't make me disrespectful..."

Perhaps you should re-read my post... I was not responding to this man's choice to wear a suit/tux where it is not required... only to your suggestion that my failure to dress up when/where it is NOT required makes me disrespectful... it does not... also please note that I never suggested that dressing up makes you a slob or disrespectful anymore than following the minimum dress code does for me....

Glad you're half way to zenith - I enjoy cruising but will never be zenith - too many kids - too much work and lots of other places to see on my wish list...

• 2 weeks later...

We just spoke to some friends who got back the week before christmas, and they also confirmed that there was a lack of formalness on formal nights. I was having the feeling that because there were 500 kids on board for our thanksgiving cruise that the rules were relaxed. This is now the norm as I understand it.

Howard

We just spoke to some friends who got back the week before christmas, and they also confirmed that there was a lack of formalness on formal nights. I was having the feeling that because there were 500 kids on board for our thanksgiving cruise that the rules were relaxed. This is now the norm as I understand it.

Howard

My DH and I will still dress in formal attire as I am sure so will many others.

Edited by Cruise a holic

The crew need to wear formal wear, they are at work in the service industry. I do not need to wear formal wear to eat (let's be honest here) fancy buffet food.

I will wear a jacket and tie. Unlikely they'll stay on for the duration of the meal, I'm there to enjoy the food, drink, and conversation, not to be a showroom dummy for people on other tables.

The crew need to wear formal wear, they are at work in the service industry. I do not need to wear formal wear to eat (let's be honest here) fancy buffet food.

I will wear a jacket and tie. Unlikely they'll stay on for the duration of the meal, I'm there to enjoy the food, drink, and conversation, not to be a showroom dummy for people on other tables.

We (my DH and I) enjoy formal dress . i wear it for myself, not for others. I have seen "showroom dummies" with casual wear.

Best to dress the way you feel comfortable and make sure that your clothes are clean!

Lol! Enjoy your cruise

I would call it banquet food rather than fancy buffet food since it gets served but I agree with your sentiment. If it were an awards ceremony or a ball, like an inauguration ball, I would see the need to wear formal wear and I would wear it. On vacation which to me is for relaxation, it is not relaxing to me to be dressed formal.

Edited by Charles4515

If it were an awards ceremony or a ball, like an inauguration ball, I would see the need to wear formal wear and I would wear it. On vacation which to me is for relaxation, it is not relaxing to me to be dressed formal.

Howard

Howard, it's not the norm now. It's a section of American society(see Charlies post above) that feels they have the right to do as they please. Since something is not mandatory, only suggested and they don't agree or like the policy, they do what makes them happy. If you take note, it's usually only American men that don't follow the formal dress suggestions. There are cruise lines that don't have formal dress codes and for the life of me I cannot understand why folks like Charlie will not just take their cruise vacations on them. Celebrity is the host and passengers should do as they ask or go elsewhere.

Edited by SHill64

We just returned from the Christmas cruise and did not see one tux in the Blu dining room the entire week. 75% had a blazer/polo shirt, suit/shirt or suit and tie. 25% were in a dress shirt to plain polo shirt and slacks.

...and yes, my DH owns his tux ( for the boring black tie work events) and chose to wear a suit and tie as he felt out of place on our last cruise.

Howard

Thanks for posting Howard. It's nice to know what's actually happening on the ship lately.

Now back to the endless Formal Wear debate zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.:(

We just returned from the Christmas cruise and did not see one tux in the Blu dining room the entire week. 75% had a blazer/polo shirt, suit/shirt or suit and tie. 25% were in a dress shirt to plain polo shirt and slacks.

...and yes, my DH owns his tux ( for the boring black tie work events) and chose to wear a suit and tie as he felt out of place on our last cruise.

The dress code for Blu is always smart casual.

Howard, it's not the norm now. It's a section of American society(see Charlies post above) that feels they have the right to do as they please. Since something is not mandatory, only suggested and they don't agree or like the policy, they do what makes them happy. If you take note, it's usually only American men that don't follow the formal dress suggestions. There are cruise lines that don't have formal dress codes and for the life of me I cannot understand why folks like Charlie will not just take their cruise vacations on them. Celebrity is the host and passengers should do as they ask or go elsewhere.

My experience suggests that this is not an "American men" phenomenon as you suggest. When on our Silhouette cruise in the Med in 2012, there were many Europeans on the cruise. The dress code was enforced - at least to the extent that they were handing out jackets - and compliance was generally high. Had they not been handing out the jackets, I probably wouldn't have noticed anything because I generally don't care what others are doing. That said, my observation was that the European men were the ones more likely to not be in compliance with the dress code. There was an older Frenchman in a nice blazer, loud yachting pants, and a tieless French cuffed shirt rolled over his blazer without cuff links that looked like he stepped off his yacht. The German man who carried his loaner jacket to his seat on both nights and hung it on the back of his chair.

Also, why you picking on Charles? Didn't he say that he packs a suit? He complies. He just doesn't wear his tux anymore. Neither do I. It's been parked in the closet for 5 years. But I comply anyway - as does he - even though I think Celebrity's version of "formal" is strange, anachronistic, and destined to be abandoned soon.

I know that for the like-formal crowd, you are in a fight that you know that you are losing. I'm sad for you as that's something that you clearly enjoy. But why do y'all stoop to telling people who comply with the dress code to sail another line or (something another did) drop the Carnival-bomb to smear others with whom you disagree? That's not right.

Thanks for posting Howard. It's nice to know what's actually happening on the ship lately.

Now back to the endless Formal Wear debate zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.:(

There's no debate. Celebrity and all the cruise lines have guidelines on how they want the passengers to dress on certain nights. They know not all passengers can or will abide by those guidelines so they make other venues available to them for dining. There's nothing to debate when it comes to the cruise line's expectations. The problem is with a small, but growing, segment of the passengers. Because as Americans we have the freedom to do as we choose, some Americans have chose to impose their will on everyone or everything. It's a sad commentary on our society that really has nothing to do with formal night on a cruise ship. I've traveled Europe quite a bit since 1998 for pleasure and I can honestly say that it is an American issue. I've been to operas and ballets in Italy where EVERYONE was dressed properly. Even the children. NO cell phones are used before or during the performances. I could go on and on, but one thing is for sure, my experiences are not up for debate. My wife & I have seen these things and much more and can say with all certainty there's a cultural divide and the US is falling behind.

My experience suggests that this is not an "American men" phenomenon as you suggest. When on our Silhouette cruise in the Med in 2012, there were many Europeans on the cruise. The dress code was enforced - at least to the extent that they were handing out jackets - and compliance was generally high. Had they not been handing out the jackets, I probably wouldn't have noticed anything because I generally don't care what others are doing. That said, my observation was that the European men were the ones more likely to not be in compliance with the dress code. There was an older Frenchman in a nice blazer, loud yachting pants, and a tieless French cuffed shirt rolled over his blazer without cuff links that looked like he stepped off his yacht. The German man who carried his loaner jacket to his seat on both nights and hung it on the back of his chair.

Also, why you picking on Charles? Didn't he say that he packs a suit? He complies. He just doesn't wear his tux anymore. Neither do I. It's been parked in the closet for 5 years. But I comply anyway - as does he - even though I think Celebrity's version of "formal" is strange, anachronistic, and destined to be abandoned soon.

I know that for the like-formal crowd, you are in a fight that you know that you are losing. I'm sad for you as that's something that you clearly enjoy. But why do y'all stoop to telling people who comply with the dress code to sail another line or (something another did) drop the Carnival-bomb to smear others with whom you disagree? That's not right.

What is sad is making comments like these when there IS a dress code on Celebrity and there is no fight about that. All this justifying a position really accomplishes nothing. You may think what you like about Celebrity's dress code, but it exists and the great majority of passengers comply with it. There's nothing anachronistic about dressing up a bit for a formal evening in a lovely dining room. Celebrity also provides plenty of options for those who don't care to comply.

Is it possible that things may change, of course, but anyone who pays attention to trends can see that people have actually been dressing up more, recently, than just a few years ago when even celebrities thought wearing jeans everywhere was the epitome of style. Just take a look at the awards shows or fashion magazines. I think you'll find there has been a return to wearing dressier clothing.

Edited by Ma Bell