Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

We got off the reflection last weekend and I had to write this post after reading many posts prior to us sailing Thanksgiving week. We had late seating at dinner.

The first night, many people were in shorts and extremely casual clothing in opus [the main dining room], which is to be expected as many people had not gotten their luggage especially early seating.

The second night was the 1st formal night, and I wore my tuxedo and my dw had on a very nice dressy dress. I walked into the mdr and looked around and I stopped counting at 75 the number of men who were in shirt sleeves without jackets. I went to the matre'd Luca and asked him if they changed the dress code without telling me and he said "why do you ask?". I asked him to follow me to my table for a second, and he obliged, and on the way I pointed out all of the men the room that did not have a jacket on. He gave me the line that "I spoke to all of them and told them about the dress code, and I gave out 30 jackets to people entering without a jacket." This was very hard to believe and on the following night, I decided to wear a golf shirt, shorts and flip flops to dinner, to try and see what would happen. I entered the mdr, the matre'd saw me and said "I guess I can't say anything to you after last night". I agreed that if you disregard the dress code on the formal nights, then the casual nights are even more difficult.

The rest of our cruise became a come as you want cruise and on the 2nd formal night while I had my tux on, I saw many, many more people dressed casual.

I know that some of you like lsimon will flame me for this, but I just have to call it like I see it. The main reason that X keeps the formal nights is to sell $22.95 pictures.

Howard

I hate to dress up, especially a suit and tie. But you know what?? I suck it up. I have the option of the buffet, the grill, pizza or room service. I dressed in suit and tie. But why I asked myself. There were two men sitting next to me wearing jeans and a t-shirt. It just reminded me of Jersey Shore. Their women were well dressed, even their kids (who by the way were playing on the floor and running up and down the stairs.)looked presentable. I didn't see anybody say anything to them. But throughout the week I constantly saw people not dressed within the dress code. People look so much better dressed but the rules should be one way or the other and should be for everyone.

While I think wearing a Tux on a Celebrity Cruise is dated and unnecessary, I think it is silly to bring or rent a tux. I mean really. I think a business casual is good enough.

Nevertheles, its depressing to think there are people around that thinks its OK to wear flip flops and shorts to dinner. Sign of the times. If you want to wear flip flops to dinner, stick with Carnival, please.

It looks like Celebrity is back to its old tricks of not enforcing the dress code.. Shame.... they've really strayed from their "elegant" cruise line standards and traditions.. In terms of acceptable dress in the MDR, they're still in the transitory stage.... we've yet to see where it all settles in the end.

Some adults are no more than little kids pushing the envelope to see what they can get away with..

Thank you for providing a first-hand observation of what's going on in the MDR.

Edited by Rick-cruiser

Ok here is a flame. I don't care how your dress, it won't affect my meal. I wouldn't go up to the matre'd and have him follow me and start counting people who were not dressed appropriate enough for you. I do not go to formal, because I do not dress up, but I would not want some Penquin coming down and pointing fingers at whos dress appropiate or not. Eat your meal enjoy your company and don't let someones clothing ruin your dinner, the last I check I don't eat wool or cotton with my meal.

My husband, now retired, needed a new suit for our Bermuda cruise last June, either that or rent a tux which he usually does. In the end, he decided to wear a navy blue blazer, dress pants, shirt and tie on formal nights and he (we) did not feel awkward. However he never would eat in the MDR on Formal night without a jacket and tie. It's part of the whole experience - for us that is.

As other have said, if you want to dress casually on formal nights, then head to the other areas around the ship where you can eat.

A few years ago on a cruise to Hawaii, the tux rental which my husband had expected in his cabin did not arrive - turns out the rental company mistook the pile of 'week before used tuxes' on the dock as the ones destined for that particular voyage. Fortunately that time, we had lugged along his suit as well. We ate dinner with the Hotel Manager and did not have any explaining to do as she was well aware of the mistake. :D

While we absolutely love cruising, I hate dressing up. Geez, I have to put up with the rules of the working world every day and don't want to have to do it on my vacation. I hate all the extra packing and luggage just for a couple of hours of dressing up to please others that are judging what I wear. While I do not try to go into the dining room on formal night, as I no longer take any clothing that would pass as formal wear, I do most certainly miss out on some better dining experiences. Personally, I am glad Celebrity is not punishing people that paid for the same money for food as the others that want to dress up. Now, what I really do love is that I can buy a specialty dining package or book in the AQ so I don't have to dress beyond smart casual. So, it is nice that Celebrity does offer that option instead of only being able to eat in the buffet. So, will just end on that note.

Ok here is a flame. I don't care how your dress, it won't affect my meal. I wouldn't go up to the matre'd and have him follow me and start counting people who were not dressed appropriate enough for you. I do not go to formal, because I do not dress up, but I would not want some Penquin coming down and pointing fingers at whos dress appropiate or not. Eat your meal enjoy your company and don't let someones clothing ruin your dinner, the last I check I don't eat wool or cotton with my meal.

Ditto :)

Well said!

right on, dude. as long as you are not wearing a tank top.

lsimon will flame me for this, but I just have to call it like I see it. ...

The Philly Kid :(

animated-flame.gif

Ok, just kidding but I couldn't resist.

While I'm not happy seeing the decline of formal nights I really don't care. Anyone who can get away with it is free to do so. I try to make two points in the formal dress threads that I post on and here are the short versions:

Point one is the facts: There are some cruises where the dress codes are not enforced so there will always be stories about some who can get away with wearing anything or saw other people doing so. But there are some where it is enforced so men who do not at least have a dress jacket and matching appropriate clothing to wear should be prepared to be turned away as it can, and does, happen on some cruises. If one is not prepared for being turned away then the only way to be sure of avoiding it is to wear a jacket and dress clothing at a minimum.

Point two is my opinion, irrespective of the facts: I personally think that someone attending dinner in a venue where there is a dress code should follow it.

Personally, and individually, I don't care about getting all dressed up. But my DW does and I love the way that she looks on formal nights as well as the look on her face when I'm in a tux. For us it just sets a really nice tone for the evening and makes it a bit special.

Edited by Lsimon

I used to enjoy formal night. That was until I lost my luggage. My formal attire was lost. I felt a bit odd going to the MDR in boat shoes and the casual attire that I wore on the plane. Nobody seemed to care. Celebrity was very understanding. There were 80 people on my plane that also did not get their luggage. Celebrity gave us tee shirts and washed our clothes without charge. I now bring simple clothing that can fit into my carry on. Black slacks and a nice shirt. Maybe a jacket. I see everything on formal night. Very few tuxedos or gowns. I have seen jeans, flipflops, and crew neck shirts on formal night. It may look poorly. It may look bad. Then maybe it is all that they have....luggage still gets lost. Accept people in whatever they wear.

I don't understand why people get so upset about what other people are doing even if it is against the dress rules. Does it really affect your cruise that much?

While I agree that the dress rules should be enforced, it doesn't worry me if someone doesn't want to follow that rule, I couldn't give a hoot what they wear. I will wear my tux/suit on formal nights and sometimes on other nights as well if I want to.:D

I am curious - it seems that some itineraries lend themselves to a bit more adherence to dress code - particularly for formal nights. Is that true?

Would it be more likely that the dress code would be followed on a European itinerary than on a Caribbean cruise? How about Alaska? Or on a longer cruise compared to a a seven-day?

What about fixed seating versus open?

Do passengers tend to dress more formally under different sets of circumstances?

I have done 1 European cruise and 3 Caribbean, and though I was lucky enough to sail on cruises where the dress code was respected by the majority, I did find the formal nights on the European cruise were more formal. If that makes sense ;).

What confuses me is - why does someone book Celebrity when they know there is a dress code but don't wish to adhere to it?

Cheers, h.

I have done 1 European cruise and 3 Caribbean, and though I was lucky enough to sail on cruises where the dress code was respected by the majority, I did find the formal nights on the European cruise were more formal. If that makes sense ;).

What confuses me is - why does someone book Celebrity when they know there is a dress code but don't wish to adhere to it?

Cheers, h.

There are other venues where they can eat without having to dress formally as well.:D

Edited by MicCanberra