Poor TV Channel Selections on RCL

jcg4550

Just off the Grandeur, from a Thanksgiving cruise, TV choices were horrible,spent a whole day in the cabin due to being in a. Nor'Easter and dh was very seasick,plus it wasn't safe to walk around, I was so tired of all the RCL advertisements! More TV channels please!!!!

Are you allowed to bring a DVD player along? Next RCL cruise we may consider that!

[quote name='Tyler80']International broadcast rules prohibit networks from airing certain content outside of the United States. This includes most of what we all watch at home. That leaves the selection of channels available on cruise ships to just a few, including international news stations.[/QUOTE]

I don't exactly get how that works. On Cunard you do get Fox, BBC, and CNN. And some fairly current movies but those are only in Spanish, German, and French, even though most on board many times are English speaking. When asked about it, the senior staff pretends that they are unaware of this....even though they have the same programming in their cabins. :rolleyes:

I will always remember the first cruise I went on with my parents and sister. Sister and I were in a room together and there was one channel that showed nothing but "What's Happening" and "What's Happening Now". It was surreal. No matter what time, day or night. I had no idea there were that many episodes of those two shows.

I remember that! Too funny ---

The TV choices on RCI stink! On our last cruise it seemed there were a lot more spanish-speaking channels with shows I would watch then english speaking channels. Like someone else mentioned, how many times can they play the same Big Bang Theory (or Mike & Molly) episodes?!

The pay-per-view selection of movies is pretty good, but THIRTEEN BUCKS PLUS TAX for a 2008 movie is ridiculous. If they were a couple of bucks we would have watched a few late at night.

Hopefully they will fix this obvious problem -- better TV's, worse TV.

I reached that conclusion by using logic. You and I do not personally know one another, therefore it would be a flawed assumption on your part to guess at my political affiliations or beliefs.

Back on topic; how do YOU feel about TV programming on cruise ships?

Maxwell, I'm not even American, and I also don't know you, but you calling Fox News "Faux" news tells me a lot about your political views.

You seem to be a smart guy, so I'm puzzled that you are surprised by the reactions to your comment

Maxwell, I'm not even American, and I also don't know you, but you calling Fox News "Faux" news tells me a lot about your political views.

You seem to be a smart guy, so I'm puzzled that you are surprised by the reactions to your comment

With all sincerity, I really wish I had said "No talking heads shows" instead of appearing to single out a particular channel; meaning I know people get fired up over opinion news programming and just like internet/cell phones I just think people should give it all a rest for the week of their vacation; take a real time out from everyday life and really enjoy the amenities and features offered. Its the same reason I'd be happy with channels of music only, without videos.

Once someone has a perception about someone else it is hard to change it, so I won't continue to fight it as I know I have been honest and that a stranger may choose to believe anything they wish, this is supposed to be informative and fun and participation should be enjoyable for all.

You cant spend money watching tv in your room.:rolleyes:

Exactly! And i will almost guarantee that is the MAIN reason for such poor programming onboard. They want you out and about spending money. Not holed in a cabin watching tv.

On the Navigator last week, every commercial was in a foreign language. Just the commercials. Weird. :eek:

As a previous poster reported, some of the feeds are a Latin American version of some Turner Broadcaster channels. Often the shows are in English, but the commercials are indeed usually Spansh. You might notice the content of the movies are a little beyond what you might find in the US , especially in terms of nudity.

:confused::confused::confused: I may watch the news, whatever movie is on if I go back to the cabin to nap so it can put me to sleep, but cruise to watch TV?? Are you serious? :confused::confused::confused:

That is what I was thinking! I could really care less what they have on there and it is not a big thing for me to miss all the programs on tv for the week! When I am in the cabin, I have it on just because it's there but actually don't really ever sit to watch anything other than glancing at any shows I did not go to see. Any shows on TV I like I record them on my DVR and watch when I get back home!

I was just on the Explorer and the TV was terrible. Didn't ruin my FABULOUS cruise, but it was annoying.

I don't really watch the TV, but I do like to have it on as background noise. We turn it on when we are getting ready for dinner and in the evening when we are relaxing before bedtime.

What really bothered me was that not only was there nothing to watch on the English channels, but all of the shows I would like to have watched (Big Bang, Seinfeld, etc.) were on the non-English channels.

Even the movies were terrible.

:confused::confused::confused: I may watch the news, whatever movie is on if I go back to the cabin to nap so it can put me to sleep, but cruise to watch TV?? Are you serious?

Seriously? I highly doubt anyone "cruises to watch tv". I believe the whole point of this thread is it would be nice to have a variety of channels for the 1-2 hours you may be in your cabin during the day. For example, my husand would like to watch some tv while I am in the shower and/or getting ready for the evening. And vice versa. ;)

:confused::confused::confused: I may watch the news, whatever movie is on if I go back to the cabin to nap so it can put me to sleep, but cruise to watch TV?? Are you serious? :confused::confused::confused:

There is plenty of downtime that you are in the cabin and the TV provides entertainment/background while you are in there.

It does serve a real purpose and having a crappy poor selection just to save a few bucks is unexceptable.

Especially when the So-called "lesser" cruiselines provide superior programming.

People act like they are "above TV" because they are on a cruise so we need to be out & about 24/7 playing bingo, slot, trivia, sillyness, ect. I don't buy it.

Passengers watch much more TV than you think.

Just look at this thread. 95 replies in 2 days..........

Edited by matj2000

We all know that we do not go on a cruise to stay in our cabins and watch TV. We are hardly ever in the cabin during the day or evening. However, when someone is ill, then it leaves little choice.

Just off the Oasis and my poor DH had a bad couple of days and wanted to rest in bed. Alas, read a book or watch TV. Well, no ABC, NBC, CBS,FX, Fox News and the list goes on. Instead the options were RCL advertising and constant reruns of Castle on TNT. We know that RCL could add more channels to the line up and Sat signals are not a problem in the ocean. I would also like the Weather Channel available to know what I am in for getting home. I mean, I get the Weather Channel everywhere I travel. Are you listening RCL, we need more choices on the TV.

Does this bother anyone else?

For RCL to add more channels because someone might be ill in their stateroom..........seriously doubt you will see this come to fruition, sorry.

Seriously? I highly doubt anyone "cruises to watch tv". I believe the whole point of this thread is it would be nice to have a variety of channels for the 1-2 hours you may be in your cabin during the day. For example, my husand would like to watch some tv while I am in the shower and/or getting ready for the evening. And vice versa. ;)

Thats exactly what DW and I like to do. Its background noise, or like you said something to watch while waiting or turning in for the night.

Its a Seagate Wireless Plus model# 1AYBA2. 1 terra bite hard drive. It was great on our Alaska cruise as we went with another couple..on the flight up all 4 of us were watching 4 different movies. I think it was about $150 or so. Best Buy has it. My DH is a tech and owns his own Hardware consultation business so he's up with all the newest gadgets.

Perfect, now I've got something to put on my Christmas list to use on our Jan cruise! Not a fan of TV but I love to relax to a good movie on vacation- it's like my version of a nap or relaxing by the pool (my pale Irish skin can only take so much of that)! Great idea.

This thread reminds me of a line we say at work . I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher , and since this whole SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING campaign we get some real winners.

Most are our usual coo coos , or those Gladys Kravitz types that live in front of their front picture windows with -9-1-1 on their speed dials.

Whenever we get a live one we say >Man she needs to get cable, she is really hard up for entertainmeny

This thread reminds me of a line we say at work . I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher , and since this whole SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING campaign we get some real winners.

Most are our usual coo coos , or those Gladys Kravitz types that live in front of their front picture windows with -9-1-1 on their speed dials.

Whenever we get a live one we say >Man she needs to get cable, she is really hard up for entertainmeny

What??