Going on a cruise has made me really see things differently....

Kristinemomof3

We went on our first cruise recently. My parents took us to celebrate their 40th anniversary. We came back broke and I am just praying we get through the next few months (ha, who am I kidding, we left broke!) but I had such a grand time. I have a degree, however my husband is self employed and I stay home & homeschool my kids. My youngest is 12 and I have about 5 1/2 years left until I can return to the work force. This recent cruise has given me the desire to do just that. I want to be able to go on more cruises in the future. I know with the income we have now, that will never happen. I love my kids dearly, but I want to be more than just a SAHM. Anyway, I am trying not to be envious of all of you, I know God has put me where I am and this is the path that was laid out, I feel more confident though in how I see the future and have had a great desire to have a plan. Just had to share. Thanks!

When we were younger we never did anything but take the kids to Disney. Now that we are older and worked our whole Lives we can appreciate what we have worked so hard for, travel more , upgrade home etc... We didn't have granite counters, a large home when younger so now that we are older we do appreciate all the more. Set goals and learn in time it will all come. If young, Save Save and Save more. Set priorities. Travel is a luxury and will come in time if planned properly.

Welcome to the cruising life! It is an addiction.

We have to save save save in order to be able to cruise every few years. My two boys are grown now (21 and 18) and are successfully employed. No more high school or college tuitions to pay. Cars are paid off. Maybe we can enjoy a cruise more often now!!

Happy Holidays and Happy Sailing!!

~robin and brian

(summertime jersey shore beach bums)

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

Take heart, eventually your children will grow up, leave the nest and you may be able to have more freedoms both physically and financially then.

I know my children just roll their eyes when we say we are going on another cruise or doing this or that. I remind them that when they were little we were busy physically and financially raising them and didn't have those luxuries either.

We went on our first cruise recently. My parents took us to celebrate their 40th anniversary. We came back broke and I am just praying we get through the next few months (ha, who am I kidding, we left broke!) but I had such a grand time. I have a degree, however my husband is self employed and I stay home & homeschool my kids. My youngest is 12 and I have about 5 1/2 years left until I can return to the work force. This recent cruise has given me the desire to do just that. I want to be able to go on more cruises in the future. I know with the income we have now, that will never happen. I love my kids dearly, but I want to be more than just a SAHM. Anyway, I am trying not to be envious of all of you, I know God has put me where I am and this is the path that was laid out, I feel more confident though in how I see the future and have had a great desire to have a plan. Just had to share. Thanks!

We homeschooled our two daughters through middle school. (The oldest had a learning disability that the school system wasn't adequately addressing.) We didn't like that being-broke feeling either and sometimes we thought it would never end. You know what? It was one of the best decisions we ever made. And it did end. Now when I look back on it, it was one of the best times of my life and it was gone in the blink of an eye.

Here's the thing you've got going for you. With your children not tied to a traditional school calendar, you can take vacations during the low season. That means lower prices and fewer crowds. So when you are able to go on a vacation, you'll have a better time for less money.

Your youngest will be grown up soon, and in that time it allows you to acquire new skills and experience that will make you marketable when you're ready to return to outside work. Money comes and goes, but you only have the time you have now, now. Enjoy your kids and future cruises! :)

We got to go on our first cruise at age 57, and only because we won a free cruise. Isn't that how it works, give some for free to get you hooked. You are fortunate to have cruised at a younger age, can take the time to save $10/week for a few years and take another cruise.

Can certainly relate to how you feel. We spent many years raising our sons and were very active in scouts, various sports, and their school activities. These years will fly by, so enjoy the time you have with them now and you will look back when they are on their own and wonder where all the years have gone.

Wishing you many years of fun filled cruises in the future.

We were married 10 years before we took our first cruise. It was also the most expensive one, even though we stayed in a standard balcony.

It is now a priority of mine to save and plan for our cruise, usually once a year. I will scrimp and save, every little bit helps. I search and study to find something I like and can reasonably afford.

I know some folks will say wait till the kids are grown up then you can get away. That may be true. But there are no guarrante that you will get old. So I plan for both. I don't put all my eggs in one basket. You should (if you can) make memories while still young. Still put something aside for retirement years too.

I wish you luck with finding out what you can do to be able to take another cruise vacation.

Jon

Nice post!

I cruise with my youngest son, sister, brother in law, niece, and BIL's mom, sister and her two sons. Hubby does not like to cruise. Never been in one.

We have a great time together every time. We usually do nothing but sunbathe all day (we are NOT chair hogs I swear!!!!!). Do a few catamaran/snorkel excursions. Walk the beaches and swim. We LOVE the ocean so much.

My sister has cruised Northern Europe, Greece, Italy, etc etc but I won't get on a plane nor could I afford that kind of vacation.

It's a great time spending our cruises together. We so enjoy it and are blessed to be able to do so.

Happy Cruising!!!

~robin and brian

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

I got into cruising by taking my mom on a cruise 4 years ago for her birthday. She was getting older and physical Heath was getting worse. We had the best time ever. She talked about that cruise constantly until her passing last year. When we got back from that cruise I said to my husband ( who did not go with us) we have been married 27 years and never gone on a real vacation, what are we waiting for? We just got back from our 5th cruise in 4 years. I also took my dad on a cruise this past summer. You never know if there will be a tomorrow so you have to live for today. My mother was only 70 yrs old when she passed away. The bills will always be there. We have decided to enjoy life now while we can.

You never know if there will be a tomorrow so you have to live for today. My mother was only 70 yrs old when she passed away. The bills will always be there. We have decided to enjoy life now while we can.

SO TRUE!!

I work in a nursing home/rehab center--MAKE YOUR MEMORIES WHILE YOU CAN!!!

For many years we didn't take a vacation-- children, money-- Atlantic city (comped room)was our only getaway. But, as soon as we were able, we went back to cruising, taking any cabin and last minute deals. Your children grow up in the blink of an eye, and you will NEVER regret spending too much time with them. Although even the best parents deserve a short break....

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have a great time together every time. We usually do nothing but sunbathe all day (we are NOT chair hogs I swear!!!!!).

~robin and brian

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

I ,for one, have never minded the people who actually occupy the chairs or loungers. Stay all day, you worked hard for it. Just don't save it so it it out of use to you or anyone for protracted periods of time.

To NHcruisers

We usually lay out by the pools in the mornings then take our stuff, go have lunch and then migrate to the higher decks above the pools in the afternoons. I'm really looking forward to enjoying Spice H2O this summer on the Breakaway!!

I just remembered one excursion my son and I took in Tortola. Swimming with the dolphins was sooooo amazing. I thought I would be afraid but I wasn't at all. They are very sweet....and strong !!

Happy Sailing!!

~robin and brian

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Watch what you ask for. Years ago, I was in the same boat as you.....one income and 3 kids at home. Took my first cruise in 1994 and loved it. Now that the kids are gone I have the time and money to cruise. Matter of fact, we just got home Sunday from a week on the Jewel. But you know what, I'd gladly go back to 1994 and have my kids home to enjoy them. All my sons now have families and live on both coasts.

I am going to echo what everyone else has written. We chose to be broke and spent all our money and time on our kids. Subway sandwiches were a big deal! The investment paid off as we have three wonderful dynamic adult kids.

I went back to school when #2 started college, got my masters 6 months before #3 graduated college and have a great career as a nurse practitioner. DH and I travel a lot and take at least one vacation with the kids and our bonus in law kids.

Enjoy your time now and enjoy your time later

Sorry ... Accidentally sent

Creatively found ways to save. BOGO meals, extra jobs, winning contests, making and selling things, inheritances...

I have 56 years of travelling memories. I had parents who provided us memorable vacations every summer. Some were inexpensive, some elaborate, but all worthwhile.

My upbringing had a lot to do with my desire to see the ever-changing world and meet others and learn from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Keep an eye out for kid's sail free deals. Especially since you homeschool and can sail during the off-season, you may be surprised at how affordable cruising can be. If you can couple a super low fare on an inside cabin with a kid's go free promo, it's incredibly cheap for a family.

Tip -- Most inside cabins only hold 4 people so if you have more than 2 kids you either have to go to a 2nd cabin or to a suite of some kind - both of which are more expensive. However, the NCL Sun has inside cabins that can accommodate 5 people. NCL recently ran a kid's sail free on an 11 day on the Sun - when I priced it out, not only were the 3rd and 4th people in the room free (taxes & port charges only) but so was the 5th!!! Get your kid's involved in ways to make and set aside money towards a family cruise fund. You'll make some unforgettable memories!

Edited by cj'smom

I just did my first cruise in 2012 at the age of 51. Was a combination birthday present for me and high school graduation present for my youngest. Have always wanted to take a cruise but with kids and lack of money over the years just couldn't afford it until now. When my kids were growing up I more or less gave them a choice. I told them that I could work and we could have a two income family and have lots of nice things, or I could stay home and we would do without all of the extras. Both of my kids said that they would rather have me home and go without. I was able to attend all sporting events, school parties, etc... I recently asked my daughter who is now 20 if she regrets me not working all of those years and she said that she has no regrets.

It meant more to my kids for me to be there with them than to live in a fancy house and take expensive vacations. I still don't work due to having to help out with my elderly parents so vacations will still be few and far between but I have no regrets because I was there when they needed me.

Sorry ... Accidentally sent

Creatively found ways to save. BOGO meals, extra jobs, winning contests, making and selling things, inheritances...

I have 56 years of travelling memories. I had parents who provided us memorable vacations every summer. Some were inexpensive, some elaborate, but all worthwhile.

My upbringing had a lot to do with my desire to see the ever-changing world and meet others and learn from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

An inheritance certainly is a creative way to save.