Airfare is killing our cruise plans

john91498

You can get points even without a cc, For example, if you were to switch to Directv and give them your flyer #, they'll give you 25,000 miles, enough for two rt tix in the U.S. ......

:confused:

I would like to know what airline offers two RT tickets for 25,000 miles. I believe you meant 25,000 miles each.

WE are from west coast (Portland) and trying to fly into FLL in April for a Royal Caribbean cruise and the airfare for 2 of us is over $1K. :eek:

If I could find them in the $350 range, I'll jump on it. Even Southwest is over $500 pp right now.

WE are from west coast (Portland) and trying to fly into FLL in April for a Royal Caribbean cruise and the airfare for 2 of us is over $1K. :eek:

If I could find them in the $350 range, I'll jump on it. Even Southwest is over $500 pp right now.

The cheap airfares are long gone...

You've hit spring break right on the nose!

I assume you mean this coming April...you're very very late in the game. As you've probably read on these boards, SWA releases their fares after other major airlines. The SWA fare may be the cheapest available on the date they release the fare, but more expensive than what was available earlier and sold out on other airlines. In your situation, SWA coming in at $500 strongly suggests cheaper fares on other airlines sold out long ago, and SWA is confident fares will only increase from here on out.

I'd do a quick check and then jump on the lowest fare you can find. I just booked SNA-BOS for $340 and consider that an absolute steal...but it's in February, a traditionally dead time for travel especially to New England. You're going to FLL during Spring Break...supply and demand is what drives fares.

SWA honors price drops without a fee. If you purchase now you've locked in the fare and there's a tiny chance it may go down a few $$. Or you can "wait to jump" on a $350 fare...there's a very high risk it will never happen. Thought exercise- what's your strategy if you're still waiting in mid-February and fares are in the $650 range? That's the most likely scenario if you wait, IMHO.

Check other cities in FL such as W. Palm Beach, Ft. Myers, or even Orlando. You'd have to balance the cost and time to drive against any fare savings. Check Miami too, since supply is better than FLL. If you're flexible on travel dates, even better. Your return date may be hiking the fare...depending on how many ships disembark, FLL sees a "spike" of thousands of people wanting to get outta' Dodge. Departing later in the evening or the next morning may save a bundle. Last comment- the ITA Matrix website makes it quick and easy to search multiple airlines (SWA does not participate though) and try out different "what if's"

Edited by kenish

Depends what part of April… Easter is late this year.

True, but spring break at the college in our town has never had a relationship with easter.

Public schools often use easter to schedule a break, colleges not so much.

Edited by thinfool

True, but spring break at the college in our town has never had a relationship with easter.

Public schools often use easter to schedule a break, colleges not so much.

College for me was almost 25 years ago so I'll have to take your word for it :o though it was a state school so that might be the reason for my assumption.

We ideally prefer to fly from BDL, but looking at BOS and PVD too. Last year we did Long Island for really cheap, but just a long day back. Don't want to do that again. Ugh

You can check out Worcester and Manchester, NH, too. Worcester has Jet Blue. Manchester has Delta, United, US Air and Southwest.

I don't think any of us who are far from a port are making a point that there should be a comparison between the cost of air and the cost of a cruise. What I think they're saying (because I feel this way) is that they love cruising and we midwesterners could do a lot MORE cruising if we didn't spend over half our vacation budget getting to the US ports.

I don't think any of us who are far from a port are making a point that there should be a comparison between the cost of air and the cost of a cruise. What I think they're saying (because I feel this way) is that they love cruising and we midwesterners could do a lot MORE cruising if we didn't spend over half our vacation budget getting to the US ports.

So the airlines should sell seats at a loss? Missing your point here. The airlines are charging what the market will bear, and not swimming in profits.

So the airlines should sell seats at a loss? Missing your point here. The airlines are charging what the market will bear, and not swimming in profits.

I think its clear what avgsuperheroine is saying. Although it might not be half, for some cruises, it might be a significant part of a vacation/cruise for some people. Yes I am a "midwestern" also and very few cruise ships leave from Minneapolis. We factor it in as a cost of doing business, but it certainly is an additional expense from the people who live in south Florida (or whatever port).

Jim

I think its clear what avgsuperheroine is saying. Although it might not be half, for some cruises, it might be a significant part of a vacation/cruise for some people. Yes I am a "midwestern" also and very few cruise ships leave from Minneapolis. We factor it in as a cost of doing business, but it certainly is an additional expense from the people who live in south Florida (or whatever port).

Jim

No different than those of us in Florida who have to fly to Europe or the South Pacific to catch our cruises. My last cruise ran us $1200 or so per ticket r/t. The next one is $2500 r/t per person. It's simply part of the cost of the vacation. The reality is that there are just so many places you can get to on a cruise leaving from any given cruise port, and particularly from the Florida ports, how many times does anyone really want to go to Nassau, Cozumel, or Grand Cayman? Ho hum.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I could have flown in and out of PBI (West Palm Beach) for $100 per way, per person. The difference is that flying into FLL got me a non-stop each way. PBI would have meant changing planes somewhere. I decided I'd rather not change planes, and pay a little more.

I do, however, encourage you to check alternate airports. You can rent a car from PBI into FLL for not too much, or take tri-rail for under $5 per person.

I haven't read this entire thread so my apologies if this was already covered.

We are booked on a cruise out of San Juan March 8-15. Airfare has been coming down pretty steadily and now is at $347/RT on Delta. Is that as low as it's gonna get? It should we hold out a little longer?

Also, I know it's a BIG no no flying in on the same day the ship leaves. But the ship doesn't leave until 8 pm that night. Would anyone recommend getting the first flight out that morning which would still leave 8+ hours if anything goes wrong?

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

We are booked on a cruise out of San Juan March 8-15. Airfare has been coming down pretty steadily and now is at $347/RT on Delta. Is that as low as it's gonna get? It should we hold out a little longer?

How would anybody know? One might say "last year it was cheaper" but last year has no bearing on this year.

$347 sounds pretty reasonable.

I live in Houston and that airfare sounds really good, I would take it.As far as flying the day of the cruise in March you would probobly be fine , it depends on how you feel about risk.My concern has always been a if my luggage did not make it on the flighr to San Juan.To be on the safe side I would fly in the day before...There is still bad weather in March that can cause delays.

Figure in the baggage cost for Delta also. ;)

Yes, baggage charges come into play in the scheme of things. BUT that $347 fare from ATL to SJU is pretty darn decent during the height of Spring Break/Easter season.

And what so many fail to realize is before the "low cost carriers" open up their schedules, there are generally cheaper fares on the legacy airlines INCLUDING adding in the baggage fares.

The only advantage I see that carriers like Southwest have in the scheme of things now is the FREE fare reduction with credit and even some of the other legacy carriers now offer that.

Southwest business model is built on being the CHEAPEST on the DAY THEY OPEN THEIR SCHEDULE. That is generally about 3 months AFTER other airlines have sold off their cheapest tickets. So if you look at Southwest on schedule opening day, they may very well be the cheapest. But the CHEAPER opportunities you missed by waiting for Southwest, Jet Blue, Allegiant, etc. etc to open their schedules have long passed you by.

We have probably at least 5 years of data using the cheapest fare from a legacy airline, adding in the baggage fees and THEN finding the cheapest on Southwest on the day they open the schedule. Our customers we book tickets for have sometimes asked for Southwest thinking they were cheaper and we pull out the data for their specific flight. About 85% of the time, the legacy carrier was CHEAPER including baggage fees than the day Southwest opens their schedule.

Southwest is no fool. They WAIT until the cheaper fares have been sold off (the info is available very easily), THEN they price their tickets based on what is available on other carriers on opening day of their schedule.

And then to have to pay for an earlier place in line just to get a good seat or pay for the outrageous price of Business Select when you could have had a CONFIRMED seat that you might actually like is another RIP and adds into the price of that "cheap" WN ticket.

Just an FYI

Yes, baggage charges come into play in the scheme of things. BUT that $347 fare from ATL to SJU is pretty darn decent during the height of Spring Break/Easter season.

And what so many fail to realize is before the "low cost carriers" open up their schedules, there are generally cheaper fares on the legacy airlines INCLUDING adding in the baggage fares.

The only advantage I see that carriers like Southwest have in the scheme of things now is the FREE fare reduction with credit and even some of the other legacy carriers now offer that.

Southwest business model is built on being the CHEAPEST on the DAY THEY OPEN THEIR SCHEDULE. That is generally about 3 months AFTER other airlines have sold off their cheapest tickets. So if you look at Southwest on schedule opening day, they may very well be the cheapest. But the CHEAPER opportunities you missed by waiting for Southwest, Jet Blue, Allegiant, etc. etc to open their schedules have long passed you by.

We have probably at least 5 years of data using the cheapest fare from a legacy airline, adding in the baggage fees and THEN finding the cheapest on Southwest on the day they open the schedule. Our customers we book tickets for have sometimes asked for Southwest thinking they were cheaper and we pull out the data for their specific flight. About 85% of the time, the legacy carrier was CHEAPER including baggage fees than the day Southwest opens their schedule.

Southwest is no fool. They WAIT until the cheaper fares have been sold off (the info is available very easily), THEN they price their tickets based on what is available on other carriers on opening day of their schedule.

And then to have to pay for an earlier place in line just to get a good seat or pay for the outrageous price of Business Select when you could have had a CONFIRMED seat that you might actually like is another RIP and adds into the price of that "cheap" WN ticket.

Just an FYI

True, that is great if you are planning travel 360 days in advance..... however if you didn't know you would be traveling a year ago and missed out on the cheapest legacy fares, Jet Blue and Southwest may indeed be an attractive option. Also the lack of cancelation penalties on Southwest can be helpful for those who know they may have to alter their schedule.

I don't fly Southwest or JetBlue often, as I am generally a United/Star traveler but I do check their fares and have found them occasionally to be the better deal.

Figure in the baggage cost for Delta also. ;)

Just an FYI

True, that is great if you are planning travel 360 days in advance..... however if you didn't know you would be traveling a year ago and missed out on the cheapest legacy fares, Jet Blue and Southwest may indeed be an attractive option. Also the lack of cancelation penalties on Southwest can be helpful for those who know they may have to alter their schedule.

I don't fly Southwest or JetBlue often, as I am generally a United/Star traveler but I do check their fares and have found them occasionally to be the better deal.

The only benefit I see with Southwest anymore is the cancellation penalty unless you are traveling at the last minute.

And I absolutely HATE Southwest. They jacked me so many times on the PHX-LAX flight-cancelled the 7AM, put everyone on the 8AM, which meant I was late to a 9AM business meeting. I was tired of looking like an idiot showing up late for meetings every month.

Why would I want to stand in line HOPING to get a good seat when as a solo, I would probably end up in a middle seat? I can book US Air nonstop about 7 times per day where the seat is confirmed and the price is the same (or so darn close to it, those $3-4 dollars don't matter much).

YMMV