Airfare is killing our cruise plans

john91498

Looking to do a cruise in the carribbean next fall and the rates are great. But, the airfare for the family is killing the great cruise rate. In fact, the airfare is almost as much as the cruise itself. Looks like we'll have to stay closer to the West coast. :(

Unless it's a peak time, ie; spring break, or a popular school vacation week. We have been looking at the Breeze in April, but the entire Northeast has that week off. Airfare from CT to FLL is $800 per person:eek::eek::eek: It's more than the cruise. DH said NO:mad::mad: So, now, I am trying to be "crafty" and look at alternate airports, etc. Frustrating.

Unless it's a peak time, ie; spring break, or a popular school vacation week. We have been looking at the Breeze in April, but the entire Northeast has that week off. Airfare from CT to FLL is $800 per person:eek::eek::eek: It's more than the cruise. DH said NO:mad::mad: So, now, I am trying to be "crafty" and look at alternate airports, etc. Frustrating.

Depending where in CT you are take a look at Atlantic city airport to FLL. we've used that as an alternative to NYC airports during peak school vacation times and saved a ton.

Depending where in CT you are take a look at Atlantic city airport to FLL. we've used that as an alternative to NYC airports during peak school vacation times and saved a ton.

We ideally prefer to fly from BDL, but looking at BOS and PVD too. Last year we did Long Island for really cheap, but just a long day back. Don't want to do that again. Ugh

Patience is a virtue with air fares...have you signed up with with each carrier to receive email notification of specials deals on specific routes? If your cruise leaves out of Miami, have you looked at flying into Ft Lauderdale? look at flying "off peak " days (i.e. Thursday, Monday)

If and when you purchase air,on your return flight have a backup plan (i.e. extra day off from work, 1 night hotel fund) to volunteer to give up your seats in return for travel credit/cash that's good for 1 year...flights are usually badly oversold on cruise days,, we get to the airport early and volunteer with the gate agent, usually earn enough to pay for most if not all for air to your cruise next year

Be careful with carriers that advertise really cheap fares..you get nailed on the fees (bag charges, seat assignment, chang fees etc)

check your credit card for airline mileage promotions

I know the feeling. It's not even worth airfare for us unless we can stay at least 2 weeks. We're going to FL for a month this time (luckily my husband gets 30 days a year of vacation time).

Agree!

Thats why I have only done B2B and recently a B2B2B when he have flown out these past two years from LAX. I cannot justify paying a costly airafe and travel 2000+ miles just go on a one week cruise.

This is good advice my sister and her family just got good rates out of A.C. airport for Disneyworld in Feb. also the parking is a fair price by big city airports standards.

For thae past two years I have been able to find a non stop flight from LAX to MIA for about $350 not too bad but I could see how expensive it could get for a family.. just wait it out a little and you can find a good deal im sure.

I got lucky and booked LAX to FLL for $280 R/T non-stop on Virgin. I felt like I died and went to heaven.

I am in the same boat. I want to cruise out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami (I live in Texas) and the air fare for two will cost as much or even more than the cruise! I have decided to just continue to cruise out of Galveston and hopefully they will add a new itinerary - or a new ship....

FLL is allot cheaper to fly into and it is not that expensive for taxi to the port. Tuesday morning and SUnday morning is when they have the best prices. We went through allot to get our fare for Feb from Chicago to Ft Lauderdale. BUt it was worth it it has gone three hundred more since we bought a few weeks ago.

Also play around if you sometimes arrive a few days early it can be cheaper. If you fly out of FLL plan on something to do if your flight is not til 4. You can not get into that terminal until 2 hours before hand. There is no room.

Other alternative check AMtrack to New Orleans. Didn't like the train much on the way back we had fun on the way down but save over $300 each for that trip..

I feel your pain. I took my kids, five of them, on a cruise in 2011. Airfare doubled the cost. Planning on a Europe in 2015. they are now ages 15-24. They are each paying their own way. I just can't afford it. I'm going to have to scrimp to pay my own way.

I live in Houston and wanted to do the eight night cruise on the Freedom out of Ft Lauderdale for new years but the airfare between Houston and Ft Lauderdale for two people was over half the cost of the cruise.Now we are going on the Magic because we can drive to Galveston.We went on it last year ar the same time but had the Caymen, Jamaica itinerary.This year its Belize and Roaton..They need to add new ports for the ships going out of Galveston.I wonder if it is too far to go to Anguilla or St Thomas from Galveston.

Book after midnight on Tuesday or Wednesday. This is when airlines discount their fares. This is what I always do and pay about $75-150 cheaper per person. Google it it really works. Airfare from Boston averaged for a non stop into Mia averaged $240-300+ pp before taxes. Booked about 4 months out got $176 pp before taxes $202 after

Look into southwest if they fly from an airport near you. Usually quite a bit cheaper and no baggage fees. My husband won't fly them because you don't have assigned seats but I find it is a lot cheaper. We also book right after midnight on a Tuesday. That was a tip I got from a friend that was a TA.

I use my Virgin America Visa for everything, I mean EVERYTHING. I pay for groceries, gas and all our bills. I use it just as I would a debit card but I pay it off every month. We flew LAX to JFK free in May and we are flying into DFW for our Magic cruise in January free as well. Planning on cruising out of Florida next year and I almost have enough miles for that trip already. It works for us.:)

Going the other way, but last summer we were going from Atlanta to Seattle. Prices were consistently in the $500-$600's. Then one day, BAM! Prices dropped to $280 for nonstop roundtrip flights! :D

Yes, keep checking.