Chef’s Table Lumiere on the Royal Princess

crewzr

Has anyone out there taken advantage of the Chef’s Table Lumiere?

Here is the description, from the Princess website: “Offering a spectacular dining experience that takes the chef’s table to a new level, passengers sit at a custom-made glass table and are magically surrounded by a curtain of light – providing a soft wall of privacy that envelopes them as they enjoy the chef’s specially prepared meal. Cover charge: $115"

My fiancé and I are going on our honeymoon cruise on the Royal in February and I had a couple of questions:

- How do you reserve it?

- How far in advance can it be reserved?

- Is the $115 cover charge per person?

- Is it worth it?

- Can the table be reserved for two, for a private dining experience or is there a chance that you would be sharing the table with other passengers, if they chose to reserve the lumiere on the same night?

Thanks in advance!

Here is the description, from the Princess website: “Offering a spectacular dining experience that takes the chef’s table to a new level, passengers sit at a custom-made glass table and are magically surrounded by a curtain of light – providing a soft wall of privacy that envelopes them as they enjoy the chef’s specially prepared meal. Cover charge: $115"

My fiancé and I are going on our honeymoon cruise on the Royal in February and I had a couple of questions:

- How do you reserve it? By calling the dine line

- How far in advance can it be reserved? You don't reserve it. You call and ask to be put on the list. They only allow 12 couples to participate.

- Is the $115 cover charge per person? Yes

- Is it worth it? In my opinion No. When we attended on the Caribbean Princess in 2009 it was $75 a person and well worth it.

- Can the table be reserved for two, for a private dining experience or is there a chance that you would be sharing the table with other passengers, if they chose to reserve the lumiere on the same night? It is a group booking only and you have to be lucky to be picked. Although at $115 per person I don't know if it is as popular as it once was.

Thanks in advance!

From what I have read on other threads on this subject the Chef's table is not what it once was and the feeling was that it was over priced. I did read good reviews about the Wine Maker's Dinner and that is $40 per person. If you want a private experience for 2 than I think that the ultimate balcony dinner would be the way to go assuming you booked a balcony or you can make a reservation for 2 in one of the specialty restaurants. Congratulations on your engagement.

Edited by Iamcruzin

- How do you reserve it? - Call the DineLine as soon as you board and follow up with Guest Services

- How far in advance can it be reserved?- See above

- Is the $115 cover charge per person? - Yes

- Is it worth it? - Totally subjective - I took my mom for her birthday and she loved it. Every dish was wonderful - but everyone's palate is different, so others may feel differently.

- Can the table be reserved for two, for a private dining experience or is there a chance that you would be sharing the table with other passengers, if they chose to reserve the lumiere on the same night? - You would be sharing with other guests.

Thanks in advance!

Hi - my answers are above. As suggested, UBD would be a far more intimate experience. Wine makers is also a shared dining experience.

When Princess raised the price of the chef's table from $75 to $95, I knew I'd probably not do it again. I have done three chef's tables. Each was a nice experience with plenty of good food and wine and excellent service. But I don't need another copy of the cookbook or a photo of us with a bunch of strangers. So I'll let someone else get to experience the chef's table.

Chef's Table, If you like French Cooking, with menu items you don't normally eat, you will probably like the food. To us it's not worth it, we don't enjoy that style food.

Other less expensive options on board include:

Ultimate balcony dinner or breakfast, private in the room, but there isn't a lot of space on most Royal Princess balconies.

Wine Maker's Diner $40pp, small group

Crown Grill Steak & Seafood, $25pp, tables for two available

Sabatini's Italian Bistro. $25pp, tables for two available

Call the dine line once on board.

I enjoyed 4 Chef's tables when the price was $75 per person but not since the price has increased. It is a great experience to do at least once however nothing we'll do again particularly on the Royal. For us it's not worth an additional $40 per couple for the Lumiere ring of lights & an expensive centerpiece.

We've enjoyed four Ultimate Balcony Dinners and would highly recommend it. For the extra $50 per couple more than dinner at the Crowne Grill you get nearly $100 worth of extras. Flowers, cocktails, photo & half a bottle of French champagne which can be exchanged for a full bottle of wine costing the same $32. The service is great and so was the meal...something we enjoy whenever we have a balcony cabin. One time due to inclement weather we had it inside our standard balcony cabin and enjoyed it there also.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/ultimatebalcony/

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've done the C.T. 3 times now…twice on the Caribbean Princess…once on the Island. All three were nothing less than amazing. The food, the wine, the service, meeting new people, the Grey Goose poured over the sorbet palate cleanser...….the wine….oh…did I mention the wine?! :)

I tried to do it on the Royal on my cruise last month, but even boarding at 1230 and calling the moment I got onboard, I didn't get it. Disappointed, but will continue to try on future cruises. In my opinion, it's worth every penny.

I enjoyed 4 Chef's tables when the price was $75 per person but not since the price has increased. It is a great experience to do at least once however nothing we'll do again particularly on the Royal. For us it's not worth an additional $40 per couple for the Lumiere ring of lights & an expensive centerpiece.

We've enjoyed four Ultimate Balcony Dinners and would highly recommend it. For the extra $50 per couple more than dinner at the Crowne Grill you get nearly $100 worth of extras. Flowers, cocktails, photo & half a bottle of French champagne which can be exchanged for a full bottle of wine costing the same $32. The service is great and so was the meal...something we enjoy whenever we have a balcony cabin. One time due to inclement weather we had it inside our standard balcony cabin and enjoyed it there also.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/ultimatebalcony/

There's a couple of good videos on youtube on the UBD.

This one is probably the best.

We've scheduled one for our anniversary.

There's a couple of good videos on youtube on the UBD.

This one is probably the best.

We've scheduled one for our anniversary.

Thanks & it's a good depiction of the UBD & shows that it's possible to modify the meal such as adding escargot. We haven't had such a large balcony but have enjoyed them on a 9' deep Caribe balcony, '5 deep standard balcony, 4' deep Royal balcony & even inside due to inclement weather...all of them were great. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks & it's a good depiction of the UBD & shows that it's possible to modify the meal such as adding escargot. We haven't had such a large balcony but have enjoyed them on a 9' deep Caribe balcony, '5 deep standard balcony, 4' deep Royal balcony & even inside due to inclement weather...all of them were great. :D

This is just hearsay since we haven't done a UBD yet. I understand that someone will meet with you prior to the dinner to discuss options. For example, what cocktail do you want, etc. Probably that is the time to make modifications. BTW, I understand that the quantities of food are much more than adequate. Very difficult to eat it all. I'm thinking of skipping the salad.

This is just hearsay since we haven't done a UBD yet. I understand that someone will meet with you prior to the dinner to discuss options. For example, what cocktail do you want, etc. Probably that is the time to make modifications. BTW, I understand that the quantities of food are much more than adequate. Very difficult to eat it all. I'm thinking of skipping the salad.

Yes, a room service supervisor who will be in charge of the UBD will either call or go to your cabin to finalize the menu. It's possible to pay for it prior to the cruise & have a card in your cabin to call room service (not the DINE line) to set a day & time. We don't prepay & call room service upon boarding to get our preferred time because we prefer to have it either in port or during sailaway.

We exchange the $32 half bottle of champagne for a full bottle of wine that cost the same amount. There is plenty of food & sometimes we put part of our dessert in the mini fridge for the next day. If you want a specialty coffee drink with dessert that has also been included. Tipping is a personal matter & with the great service we tip in cash. By keeping the autotip the servers get to keep the cash instead adding it to the bill which goes into the tip pool & is shared with everyone which is true for any food tip added to the bill.

Edited by Astro Flyer