Embarkation day lunch

BlueLadyBlue

We always hit the Lido for lunch. Before you could go straight to your cabin, we grabbed a table in the Lido and used it as a base for our ship exploration -- with at least one of our party staying at the table to watch our carry-ons until the rooms were ready. It was also nice to have the Lido so close, as one of my party prefers to always have a glass of iced tea within reach.

Since they changed and you can now go straight to your cabin, we have not really changed our plans. We drop our carry-ons in our cabins and then head to Lido to snag a table and have a more central-ship exploration point. We grab some lunch, too.

I may be among the minority, but I actually prefer the Code Orange Days when the staff serves everything in the Lido. I find it's easier, faster, and the people in front of me in line do not touch every one of the smoked salmon pieces trying to find the "best" one or take all the strawberries from the bowl of mixed fruit (and when I commented to the woman doing that, she told me she likes the strawberries. When I told her I do too, she actually said "too bad" as she grudgingly put ONE back).

I hate the code orange days - I'd much rather help myself, and take only what I want (rather than what the steward thinks I'd want). Plus, I hate the lines to get a glass of water!

Somewhere on cruise critic recently I saw a new menu for the mariner embarkation lunch, but I can't find it now. I've tried searching, to no avail. If anyone has it or knows where I can find it, please post a link (or post the menu). I used to always go to the Lido because the menu didn't really appeal to me, but I think there are some choices I'd eat now. Next cruise is with hubby, who I know won't be interested in walking all over the ship to see everything (which is why I usually grab something quick at the Lido, then go explore/take photos) so it might make sense for us to eat in the dining room for a change.

Sue/WDW1972

1/5/14 Nieuw Amsterdam

11/7/14 DCL Dream

I have change....well at least my name:D.

Your cruise is getting really close. Where the heck is that upsell? Regardless, I hope you have a wonderful time:).

LK- I am getting so excited, I could just wet myself (ok, not really- that would be way to much information!). We received 2 upsells, but they were not very good deals, so we are in a VA 8100. I think we will be fine there.

Need a quick opinion- I have started the pre-cruise portion of my "live from". Is it too early (and obnoxious) to post it?

Thanks!

LK- I am getting so excited, I could just wet myself (ok, not really- that would be way to much information!). We received 2 upsells, but they were not very good deals, so we are in a VA 8100. I think we will be fine there.

Need a quick opinion- I have started the pre-cruise portion of my "live from". Is it too early (and obnoxious) to post it?

Thanks!

It is never too early to start anything -- especially a "Live" thread.

We used to head to the Lido right away when we boarded. At that time we could drop our carry-ons in the Neptune Lounge. And both of us were able to handle trays (long gone).

DH now has Parkinson's and can't keep a plate level. I was able to help him until 2 years ago when I had to start using a walker/rollator. I can't help him and rarely on the first couple of days is there anyone extra working who can help both of us.

So off to the dining room we must go.

I was giving too much info away with that name. I'd been thinking about it for a while and received an email to hammer it home to me. I thought it was a good time.

Smart plan!

Is it ok if I still call you LK, though? I feel like it is our little knickname!:)

Somewhere on cruise critic recently I saw a new menu for the mariner embarkation lunch, but I can't find it now. I've tried searching, to no avail. If anyone has it or knows where I can find it, please post a link (or post the menu).

Sue/WDW1972

1/5/14 Nieuw Amsterdam

11/7/14 DCL Dream

I think if you look for a thread started by Crew News, you might find a link to the MDR menu for the Embarkation Lunch. He has a lot of menus!

I guess each of us tends to fall into our own cruise routine.

We usually have a light breakfast either at the hotel or at Starbucks and then head to the ship to board as early as possible. It just doesn't feel like we're on vacation until we are on board. That's when we begin to relax.

While the lunch menu in the MDR is limited and pretty much the same each cruise, we like being able to sit down and relax without having to face the crowds. We've always found something we like on the menu. Last summer I have one fo the best pieces of salmon ever at the MDR embarkation lunch. We usually get a table by a window and enjoy seeing the port activity as we eat. Personally, I think it's faster to eat in the MDR then to wait in line at the lido, find a table and then go back to get iced tea. It's also much easier to have a light lunch when not faced with lots of options which saves room for our cookies and champagne sailaway. (And that will take care of half of our carry on wine allotment for the cruise!)

Thanks again. This is our first HAL cruise. Our first two cruises (Carnival & Princess) were before we discovered CC so we boarded at whatever time was on our boarding pass. Some time after lunch. I remember looking longingly at the ship wishing we could board earlier. LOL such newbies. Our last cruise on NCL we boarded early and had lunch in the MDR. I guess this one we will just see how we feel when we board. May be too excited to eat. :D

Hi everybody!

We are embarking next week for our second HAL cruise. On our vouchers it says that the embarkation time is 1 PM. But according to the Mariners's advantages we have a embarkation lunch, does that mean that as star mariners we can check-in earlier? and how does that work exactly? we have not much experience yet, sorry :-)

Agree with many of the others that the Lido just seems to be a bit chaotic on embarkation day. So, we do generally go to the MDR lunch. That being said, we generally find that the lunch food served in the MDR is nothing worth celebrating, but we do enjoy the slower relaxing pace. On our last HAL cruise I recall getting a Reuben at that luncheon. Unfortunately, and too typical of HAL, the sandwich has 2 skimpy slices of corned beef with some kraut. A sandwich like that would quickly put any deli out of business from bankruptcy. But this seems to be the norm with HAL deli sandwiches. When we get a sandwich at the Lido sandwich bar....we usually explain to the sandwich maker that we want a "New York Deli" style sandwich which means the meat should outweigh the bread. One of my secret dreams is to take Rudi Sodamin to lunch at a good NYC deli and show him what a real sandwich is like :)

Hank

Hi everybody!

We are embarking next week for our second HAL cruise. On our vouchers it says that the embarkation time is 1 PM. But according to the Mariners's advantages we have a embarkation lunch, does that mean that as star mariners we can check-in earlier? and how does that work exactly? we have not much experience yet, sorry :-)

Anyone can check in early. We always go between 10:30 and 11 am, and you will find that most others do too! But we are always on the ship in time for the Embarkation Lunch. It's a nice way to start your cruise.:)

We have friends sailing that are new to HAL. They are booked in an NS. Can they use MDR for embark lunch as NS guest or is it only Mariners?

If they have previously sailed on any of the CCL family of cruiselines, they will be able to have lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day.