Embarkation day lunch

BlueLadyBlue

Hoping to do a bit of a survey/opinion poll as our cruise is getting closer and the excitement is building. So, I know some of you prefer the MDR and some the Lido for lunch on embarkation day, would you mind telling me your preference and why? Also, I believe I some of you prefer to have lunch before you board; same question. We board as one star Mariners and do realize we may not even have an opportunity to choose.

Looking forward to some pre cruise reading. TIA:D:D

The Lido can be total chaos on embarkation day, everyone showing up at the same time, if you can get into the MDR it will be calmer seas, but the menu is limited and not all that exciting, the time to get through that meal can be excessive too.

I would suggest that you have breakfast before you board, that will help. I believe the Hamburger Bar in the Lido pool area is another option for you if you want fast food.

When I was on the Noordam last year I tried to go to the MDR on embarkation day, but was told that it was closed due to "technical difficulties". Hopefully I won't get the same response when I sail next month.

I agree -- The selection is rather limited, but it's SO much more civilized!

For me, if I don't have to go to the lido for an entire cruise, that is a good cruise. I don't enjoy the crowds and the chaos. I also don't enjoy people taking an hour standing in one spot to decide what they want.

Cruz chic formerly lorekauf

Edited by cruz chic

Good morning,

We've done both the Lido and the MDR and, for us, it depends on the mood we're in when we board. We live close to the port and we board as early as possible so the Lido hasn't been "crazy" yet. We like the variety of choices and the chance to not have a big meal at that point as we're not usually that hungry. The MDR menu is limited but it is a nice alternative.

I generally go to the embarkation port at least a day before boarding, so that means I can sleep in that day---finishing breakfast sometime after 9:30. Then I board in one of the first groups, so I am simply not hungry when the dining room is open for lunch. What's the rush???

I can board, go to my cabin and unpack my catty-ons, read through the paperwork there, then take care of any business, such as confirming specialty restaurant reservations, spa appointments, discuss my planned shore excursions with the staff before they are swamped.

Then I can get some lunch in the Lido around 2:00, or so. By then the crowds have thinned somewhat, and I can relax when I'm hungry. There is a huge selection, and it's easy to find something I want to eat.

Eating then has the advantage that I can make it to main dinner without wanting a snack, too.

I have found the MDR a nice way to start our vacation. There are no long lines and the food and service are wonderful.

Agreed!

As to the "limited menu in the MDR" comments ... the menu may be smaller than normal MDR lunches but is well varied and seemed to offer enough variety to suit the crowd we observed on our last embarkation lunch.

We're not from the frozen north ... so don't have a compulsion to rush to the pool to sun so the time involved in a relaxing, civilized lunch is not an issue with us. :D

Thanks all. There don't seem to be many Lido lovers today. We booked this cruise about 18 months ago so it's been a long time coming. We are sailing out of Rotterdam so don't think we'll be heading to the pool although we do hope it will be warmer then home. Minus 7C today and snow up to my...., well lets just say its deep. We didn't get the freezing rain so we are lucky there. Apparently 250,000 people in the City of Toronto are without power because of the storm! Hope they get restored soon. :eek:

We never go to the Lido since our early cruises. I like to begin my cruise in comfort with being relaxed. So, if we get to the ship before lunch, we go to the Mariners Embarkation lunch (sometimes we eat before checking in so don't need lunch). A couple of times we have been seated with someone from our roll call, and it's a great way to begin the cruise.:)

Depends on the port and the weather. In Fort Lauderdale, I grab a couple ice teas, put them and my book on a table near the Sea View Pool rail. Then, go back into the Lido and make a nice salad to eat in the sunshine.

The embarkation lunches are too long for me so I only eat in the MDR if too cool outside to eat.

We try to stay away from the Lido during Code Orange, although we do like lunch there, generally. But it makes things so much slower when you have to be served everything. And, during Code Orange, they usually don't have their lovely cheese trays out!

The first lunch in the MDR is rather blah, but at least you're on a ship!

The Lido can be total chaos on embarkation day, everyone showing up at the same time, if you can get into the MDR it will be calmer seas, but the menu is limited and not all that exciting, the time to get through that meal can be excessive too.

I would suggest that you have breakfast before you board, that will help. I believe the Hamburger Bar in the Lido pool area is another option for you if you want fast food.

AKA 'Terrace Grill' ;)

BlueLadyBlue, I assume that you have are a repeat cruiser and qualify for the Mariner's embarkation lunch.

We avoid the madhouse that is the Lido buffet on embarkation day with code orange. Others may want to get there early, hog chairs for a few hours, and observe the madhouse. It is the main dining room for us.

Edited by whogo
clarification

For me, if I don't have to go to the lido for an entire cruise, that is a good cruise. I don't enjoy the crowds and the chaos. I also don't enjoy people taking an hour standing in one spot to decide what they want.

Cruz chic formerly lorekauf

You've changed!!! :)

Oh, we always eat in the MDR. I have a pathological fear of buffets. :eek:

You've changed!!! :)

Oh, we always eat in the MDR. I have a pathological fear of buffets. :eek:

I have change....well at least my name:D.

Your cruise is getting really close. Where the heck is that upsell? Regardless, I hope you have a wonderful time:).