Royal questions

catsforkids

I am doing the TA in April and have a few questions for those of you who have sailed on the Royal...

1. Looking at the deck plans, it looks almost impossible to get to the gym by stairs without taking the fore staircase and walking outside and even then, can you enter the gym? I don't do elevators while cruising...just my thing ;)

2. The Library - is there a decent selection of books?

3. I love reading in Skywalkers on the other ships. Is there a quiet place to read inside where I can see the sea? I will keep it a secret ;)

4. Ocean Terrace sounds interesting. I know it is subjective but what was really good? Is the sushi better than at Vines?

I apologize if there are answers to all these questions in other threads...there are almost too many to search through :eek:

It is a very small library. I really did not find anything I liked. But I don't like their policy that you can check out more than one book. People were checking out three and four books per person. So, one cabin took eight books.

I'd like to see one at a time.

I am doing the TA in April and have a few questions for those of you who have sailed on the Royal...

1. Looking at the deck plans, it looks almost impossible to get to the gym by stairs without taking the fore staircase and walking outside and even then, can you enter the gym? I don't do elevators while cruising...just my thing ;)

2. The Library - is there a decent selection of books?

3. I love reading in Skywalkers on the other ships. Is there a quiet place to read inside where I can see the sea? I will keep it a secret ;)

4. Ocean Terrace sounds interesting. I know it is subjective but what was really good? Is the sushi better than at Vines?

I apologize if there are answers to all these questions in other threads...there are almost too many to search through :eek:

You can reach the fitness center by taking the aft stairs - no problem! Library is really not much. I would bring your Kindle (or the like) or sit back and enjoy the wonderful movies Princess offers on your cabin tv. Ocean Terrace looked great. Didn't eat there but the food looked fab! If you don't mind being outside, there are some well-situated deck chairs on the promenade deck. Or you can read at the Retreat pool area - very quiet. Inside - there are several places here and there but I did my reading outside.

Most people had ereaders which is probably why the library is too small.

For reading, I found Club 6 a nice, comfortable place to go... if there were no events there. I know you want to be inside but just outside the Horizon Bistro, on Lido deck are comfortable chairs and small couches. They are a bit away from the pool so I was never disturbed nor did I find it noisy. Here's where I spent quite a bit of my time:

ImageUploadedByForums1387825310.784299.jpg.575fd9175cd35a90edf7ebf9b226219e.jpg

Most people had ereaders which is probably why the library is too small.

For reading, I found Club 6 a nice, comfortable place to go... if there were no events there. I know you want to be inside but just outside the Horizon Bistro, on Lido deck are comfortable chairs and small couches. They are a bit away from the pool so I was never disturbed nor did I find it noisy. Here's where I spent quite a bit of my time:

[ATTACH]296364[/ATTACH]

Pam, that looks just like my kind of place if it's a messy day outside. It's a shame about the book policy, I agree, I book per person would be reasonable. So I'll download a few on my IPad - if I can I am a techie newbie! I still like to hold a book.;)

Pam, that looks just like my kind of place if it's a messy day outside. It's a shame about the book policy, I agree, I book per person would be reasonable. So I'll download a few on my IPad - if I can I am a techie newbie! I still like to hold a book.;)
I used to have to hold a book, too. But then I saw how many free or almost free books I could get using a Kindle and then the Kindle app on my iPad Mini, and I can't go back to reading a paperback or hardcover. I tried but I'm now so used to being able to adjust the type size that I get a headache trying to read the small print in books. Go figure. :) Plus, I only have to travel with my iPad Mini and if I finish a book, I just open another one.

Go to the "Apple App" and search for and download the Kindle app. Go to sites such as http://www.ereadernewstoday.com for a list of books available for $.99 or free each day in a variety of genres. Do a Google search for "free kindle books" for a list of sites. When you go to these sites, to "buy" a book, the link goes to Amazon and you select and download them from there. I have literally hundreds of books I've gotten mostly for free and discovered new authors. Plus, most public libraries offer Kindle books on loan. All you need is a library card. Go to your library's website and there should be a link there.

We stopped at the Ocean terrace a couple of times on the Royal TA. The sushi and sashimi were outstanding, and the portions generous. Each time, the chef added an extra treat without our asking.

There was seldom anyone eating there and we had nice conversations with the chef. Very pleasant. Would probably have stopped there again, but there are so many choices on the Royal, we didn't get back.

We didn't try Vines, but I think they serve tapas rather than sushi.

I missed Skywalkers as a place to read and relax. Agree with Pam about Club Six. Comfortable seating with a view of the sea. Just find a time when no events are taking place.

Jack

Edited by Azjack
Bad spelling

You can reach the fitness center by taking the aft stairs - no problem! Library is really not much. I would bring your Kindle (or the like) or sit back and enjoy the wonderful movies Princess offers on your cabin tv. Ocean Terrace looked great. Didn't eat there but the food looked fab! If you don't mind being outside, there are some well-situated deck chairs on the promenade deck. Or you can read at the Retreat pool area - very quiet. Inside - there are several places here and there but I did my reading outside.

When looking at the deck plans, they do not show the aft staircase going from the Lido deck to the Sun, just the lifts. Odd, but I am glad the stairs are there ;)

And I am going to try the sushi and the chili & lime margarita - the later just sounds too exotic to pass up!

I used to have to hold a book, too. But then I saw how many free or almost free books I could get using a Kindle and then the Kindle app on my iPad Mini, and I can't go back to reading a paperback or hardcover. I tried but I'm now so used to being able to adjust the type size that I get a headache trying to read the small print in books. Go figure. :) Plus, I only have to travel with my iPad Mini and if I finish a book, I just open another one.

Go to the "Apple App" and search for and download the Kindle app. Go to sites such as http://www.ereadernewstoday.com for a list of books available for $.99 or free each day in a variety of genres. Do a Google search for "free kindle books" for a list of sites. When you go to these sites, to "buy" a book, the link goes to Amazon and you select and download them from there. I have literally hundreds of books I've gotten mostly for free and discovered new authors. Plus, most public libraries offer Kindle books on loan. All you need is a library card. Go to your library's website and there should be a link there.

Thanks so much Pam!:) I am such a tech newbie and your suggestions are very helpful. I am definitely going to download some books and learn to read the "new" way :)

Edited by catsforkids

We stopped at the Ocean terrace a couple of times on the Royal TA. The sushi and sashimi were outstanding, and the portions generous. Each time, the chef added an extra treat without our asking.

There was seldom anyone eating there and we had nice conversations with the chef. Very pleasant. Would probably have stopped there again, but there are so many choices on the Royal, we didn't get back.

We didn't try Vines, but I think they serve tapas rather than sushi.

I missed Skywalkers as a place to read and relax. Agree with Pam about Club Six. Comfortable seating with a view of the sea. Just find a time when no events are taking place.

Jack

Vines was a great place:) I also agree with you about the Ocean Terrace. The portion sizes were great and the chef was a very personable crew member.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I stumbled across this picture that I took showing the Deck 17 aft elevator lobby looking forward. The stairs (not shown on the deck plan) go down to Deck 16 and the rear entrance to Horizon Court (and continue down to Deck 6 outside of the Allegro Dining Room), access to the Youth and Teen Centers is straight ahead, the Fitness Center is on the far right out of frame.

11597360163_ec68ea0888_z.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

• 2 weeks later...
I stumbled across this picture that I took showing the Deck 17 aft elevator lobby looking forward. The stairs (not shown on the deck plan) go down to Deck 16 and the rear entrance to Horizon Court (and continue down to Deck 6 outside of the Allegro Dining Room), access to the Youth and Teen Centers is straight ahead, the Fitness Center is on the far right out of frame.

11597360163_ec68ea0888_z.jpg

Thanks for the picture! The deck plans are confusing because they do not show that staircase. Yeah!

How do you read your apple tablet in the sun with sunglasses on?
Not easily. It depends on the angle of the sun but I changed the settings to contrast black on white and larger type. I usually read black on sepia at a less bright setting to save the battery. If I know I'm going to be reading outside, I'll bring my Kindle in addition to my iPad. I can sync books between them.

You never have to worry about not being able to take the stairs anywhere because fire codes require that all areas be accessible by stair (which must be enclosed in fireproof walls). But the aft stairs take you right up to the gym. And you can also access the gym from both sides of deck 17 on the outside (have to walk through some sunbathing areas of coming from the bow).