Spa Class Blu Comment/Question

JB3

From all that I've read about Blu, people seem to either love it or hate it.

It seems to me that at some point Celebrity will change the Aqua Class

people to have dinner seatings in the main dining room, but allow them

to also choose to eat in Blu with no fees. They also could still have

breakfast in Blu... for AC only. Then, Celebrity could add Blu as a specialty

restaurant where people could choose to eat there for a fee, even if

they're not booked in the AC.

Curious as to what other people think of this idea?

My husband and I are sailing on the Reflection soon, and this will

be our 20th cruise, but first on Celebrity.

We are cruising with 6 other people, and they are all booked in AC,

but we are not. Hence, supposedly we will not be eating dinner together.

Also, when they booked AC, they didn't realize that they would be having

Blu as their dinner assignment, and that they would have the "spa cuisine", rather

than the MDR food. A few of them will be ok with this, and a few of them, probably not so much.

Their TA told them that they should be able to go to the dining room and sit

in the anytime dining, if space is available. Of course, reading on CC, you get

a ton of different answers on that. My TA said something different, as did Celebrity

when the TA called them to find out more.

I suppose there's a lot of confusion about it, and even different things varying from ship to ship too, due to the Aqua Class being so new.

Again, curious as to what any of you have to say about any of that. Thanks ahead of time. : )

AquaClass was developed for the Solstice class ships and has been in existence since the end of 2008. So it is far from new, and is very popular with many cruisers primarily for the excellent food in BLU. Access to the Persian Garden and other AQ benefits are nice, but secondary to having an open seating, small, quieter venue, with smart casual dress and quality food. Please read more about the "clean cuisine" (not spa food) and suggest you join them to find out why so many, myself included, love it. If the TAs don't understand the concept of AQ after five years, you need to find one better informed about Celebrity's offerings. About your idea? :eek: never.

We love Blu - and when we have sailed in Aqua Class that restaurant is jam packed every night, with Suite guests hoping someone doesn't show up so they can get a table. So I don't think it is going away anytime soon. In fact, for our Alaskan cruise in August we specifically chose to pay a bit more for Aqua Class so we are able to eat breakfast and dinner in Blu ...

There is also a misconception that Blu offers "spa" cuisine. It's not spa cuisine - it's smaller portions of healthier food. You can still have your steak and potatoes and a fantastic dessert, but the portions are not as large and are more healthily prepared. To clarify - the portions aren't small, you're just less likely to leave food on the plate, and what you do get won't be in a pool of butter. And those who want more can get it.

On our next cruise we're sailing with friends who aren't in Aqua Class so we are all eating in the MDR with Select Dining. It's an easy change to make.

I think the problem is that people don't read what they're signing up for. I know that I am absolutely guilty of this, but all of the information about Blu and Aqua Class are pretty clearly stated on Celebrity's website. And if you're booking with a travel agent and they don't clarify what is/is not included, you need a new TA.

I agree 100% with Janie and Janet. Aqua Class and Blu have been around a long time, 5+ years. There should no longer be confusion for your TA. We absolutely love Blu and book Suites or Aqua Class just to be able to eat there. We know taste is subjective, but we have always had tasty great meals in Blu. If an Aqua Class guest does not want to eat dinner inBlu, they can go to the MDR, space available, for dinner. They should discuss with Matre De.

wow, I don't see you suggestion ever happening.

You need a better Travel Agent. Hard to imagine anyone with cruise experience ever booking some clients in a group in Aqua Class without explaining the benefits and others in a regular stateroom. AquaClass has been around for YEARS

That's hard to imagine.

How much would it be to upgrade to AQ Class?

Edited by aquaclass

While your friends are assigned to blu, they can join you in the mdr by just asking the maître d in blu on any night. You should book select dining so you can get a larger table if your aqua class friends decide to join you for dinner. If you are not in aqua or a suite, you will not be admitted to blu...and that's probably the only celebrity policy that is rigidly enforced.

Is the dress attire in Blu formal when it is formal attire in the MDR?

Blu is smart casual and above every night. Formal wear is totally optional and many people choose to dress up on formal nights.

Also, the vast majority of people who cruise Aqua class love Blu. Those who don't sail Concierge class next time. If anyone feels the portions are too small then they are free to ask for seconds.

Edited by gek

QUOTE"It seems to me that at some point Celebrity will change the Aqua Class

people to have dinner seatings in the main dining room, but allow them

to also choose to eat in Blu with no fees"END QUOTE

if you have not yet been on a Celebrity cruise, why would you draw this conclusion? BLU is excellent. When I think of spa food I think of carrot sticks, poached salmon, et cet. BLU serves hearty meals but smaller portions, ie, risotto with Kobe beef with truffles, as an example.

We BLU diners are allowed to go to the main dining room, but why would I want to do that when I am paying an upcharge for aqua? I realize the dilemma of traveling with others and they don't want to do aqua, that is the only drawback, but then if the majority are dining in MDR and we're not, then I guess it would be a matter of "we'll see you after dinner at the show or the bar", or whatever

The case may be.

We have sailed in AquaClass several times. We eat most breakfasts in Blu. For dinner we have eaten in the specialty restaurants 10 to 20% of the time, in the MDR 40 to 50%, and Blu about 30 % depending on each night's menu. We have never asked anyone's permission to eat in the MDR and in fact the assistant maître ds' (punctuation?) have joked with us about what it would take for us to always choose their venue.

We just got back from a Summit cruise, and we ate in both the main dining room and Blu. Portions are NOT noticeably smaller in Blu. Quality of the food was similar. On the last night, I had the lamb shank at Blu and it was HUGE. It is not spa food, but it is very good food. Maybe a little less decadent.

Blu really shines at breakfast. No other venue on the ship comes close, IMO.

We sailed Aqua Class and are firmly in the 'love Blu' camp. On a 12 night cruise we had 4 specialty dinners and lunch in the MDR once. If your TA can't explain properly the difference with AQ get yourself a better TA. One of the differences with Blu is that meals are prepared individually like in a restaurant or the specialties whereas the MDR is production line preparation.

Do select dining and request a table for two and enjoy dining with your spouse like you do when you go to any fine restaurant. I never went into a fine restuarant and asked to be seated at a table of 6 or 8 strangers especially on my anniversary.

We have dined in Blu many times and while it it nice we also like select with a table for two. Sometimes the food selections are a little more interesting and just as good if not better. Compare the menus and you can judge for yourself.

For breakfast if you don't want to do the buffet go to the Aqua Spa Cafe. They

offer a nice alternative healthy breakfast and it isn't as crowded.

Don't feel left out and enjoy your cruise and anniversary.

Don't know how much the difference is in upgrading to AQ but they offer a ultimate dining plan for $29 pp/ day that allows you do all of your meals in the alternative restuarants. This has to be booked on board on the first day for the whole cruise. Breakfast and lunch is in Bistro o 5 or lunch is in the grill on the lawn or some other restuarant that has it available.

Edited by miched

I'd say in addition to healthier cooking techniques; the food in Blu is higher quality, the service is quite better, and the venue is far more intimate.

Not Blu but I had the butternut squash and parsnips soup at the Aqua Spa Cafe for lunch. The next day it was on the menu at Bistro on 5. Ordered it again and it had been finished with a heavy dose of cream that wasn't it the Aqua Spa version.

Edited by Pecs ado rojo

As a person whose friends and family say I cook "gourmet" food I can tell you that the food in Blu is great. The breakfast is exceptional and dinner is superb. I wanted to try the MDR for one night during our last cruise, but could not miss a night in Blu. We did eat for 3 nights in a specialty resturant, but we missed Blu.

It's intimate and not noisy or overly crowded. We had awesome seating for two right next to the window for every meal but one. The food arrived hot and fresh with well balanced seasoning. I finished my plate and commented several time how great the good tasted. I was asked if I wanted more, but had more than enough, especially when you consider that it was just one of many courses of our dining experience.

Blu is the main reason we have booked AC for our next cruise.

But if anyone does not like Blu it is nice to know you have other options and that the crew will work with you so that you have the meal option that works best for you.

Thank you all very much for your input about the AC and Blu.

Yes, I have read many different versions on Cruise Critic about how it all works.

We also had differing answers from two different travel agents--the one

our friends booked with, and the ones that we booked with, as well as a different

answer from Celebrity customer service.

I thought the AC (And Blu) was new(possibly because of all of the differing things I've read and heard), but it's the Reflection ship that's new. I've read so many opinions of people who either love or hate Blu. Hopefully our friends will enjoy Blu, and it's good to hear some of you say that they should be able to try the MDR if they'd like. Nothing about the AC appeals to my husband and I, although I did consider booking the CC. (Concierge Class). Maybe next time. We are very excited to try Celebrity for the first time. : )

Thanks again.

Thank you all very much for your input about the AC and Blu.

Yes, I have read many different versions on Cruise Critic about how it all works.

We also had differing answers from two different travel agents--the one

our friends booked with, and the ones that we booked with, as well as a different

answer from Celebrity customer service.

I thought the AC (And Blu) was new(possibly because of all of the differing things I've read and heard), but it's the Reflection ship that's new. I've read so many opinions of people who either love or hate Blu. Hopefully our friends will enjoy Blu, and it's good to hear some of you say that they should be able to try the MDR if they'd like. Nothing about the AC appeals to my husband and I, although I did consider booking the CC. (Concierge Class). Maybe next time. We are very excited to try Celebrity for the first time. : )

Thanks again.

Have a great cruise, hope you like Celebrity as much as we do. Specialty restaurants are great and will be a good way for you to have dinner with your friends. We have enjoyed breakfast in Blue as suite guests and loved it, hope we can try dinner next summer too. :):)

• 2 weeks later...
Have a great cruise, hope you like Celebrity as much as we do. Specialty restaurants are great and will be a good way for you to have dinner with your friends. We have enjoyed breakfast in Blue as suite guests and loved it, hope we can try dinner next summer too. :):)

Thanks very much, drarill. : )

Very excited to go! We were able to find MDR menus, as well as Blu menus online.

My husband would not, but I think that I would actually prefer the food in Blu... at least

for the appetizers and entrees. I'm sure our friends will all enjoy it. If not, there are always other options. I have just found out more about our Elite perks that I'm excited about too.

We're diamond on Royal Caribbean... so we'll be Elite on Celebrity. Can't wait. Thanks again! : )

Thanks very much, drarill. : )

Very excited to go! We were able to find MDR menus, as well as Blu menus online.

My husband would not, but I think that I would actually prefer the food in Blu... at least

for the appetizers and entrees. I'm sure our friends will all enjoy it. If not, there are always other options. I have just found out more about our Elite perks that I'm excited about too.

We're diamond on Royal Caribbean... so we'll be Elite on Celebrity. Can't wait. Thanks again! : )

Just bringing this up because some don't know they have to do it. Did you get a Captain's club number and have it attached to your reservation. If you didn't you will not get any of the benefits of Elite, they have to know you are coming.