Cruise demographics

Hey all!

Out of the cruise lines operating in Australia, which do you think are geared more towards specific age groups in terms of passengers? For example, I've heard P&O tend to have a younger teenage/twenty-somethings audience, particularly during the holidays.

Much appreciated :)

Hey all!

Out of the cruise lines operating in Australia, which do you think are geared more towards specific age groups in terms of passengers? For example, I've heard P&O tend to have a younger teenage/twenty-somethings audience, particularly during the holidays.

Much appreciated :)

In a way I think you have answered your own question, as I believe the age demographics of passengers is very much determined by date....ie when folk can go. I dont think any cruise line sets out to say we are a ship for old people, we are a ship for young people, but rather they set out to cater to all ages.

I have found that like attracts like on a ship and the young ones will gather together and make their own fun.

I tend to look on a cruise ship as being a reflection of society.

We have done 4 cruises, all with Royal Caribbean, on 3 different ships, so we can't compare companies.

Time frame is certainly relative to overall age demographic. We found the longest cruise (18 nights) had a more mature average age and the shortest we have done (5 nights) was much younger in general.

Also the longer cruises (12, 14 and 18 nights) included a greater variety of overseas travellers. The 5 night cruise had overwhelmingly Aussie passengers.

Every cruise has different dynamics from the different people and locations, and that is something we enjoyed.

We can't say it made our cruises and better or worse than each other. We have loved them all!

Definitely the longer the cruise the older the passengers, six weeks on the Dawn Princess felt like Gods waiting room, 3 day cruises are booze cruises unless they are going to and from different ports, school holiday cruises obviously are attractive to families. However you will find a cross section of ages on all cruises it really should not affect your enjoyment too much. Just don't expect a big night in the nightclub on the longer cruises...:)

Sue

P&O UK, because they do world cruises, skew way old.

Our group stood out as the only one not apparently of retirement age when we boarded. I'd thought there would be an imbalance, but being a sector I'd thought there would be a few others sampling. However, the imbalance was more extreme than I expected!

Definitely the longer the cruise the older the passengers, six weeks on the Dawn Princess felt like Gods waiting room, 3 day cruises are booze cruises unless they are going to and from different ports, school holiday cruises obviously are attractive to families. However you will find a cross section of ages on all cruises it really should not affect your enjoyment too much. Just don't expect a big night in the nightclub on the longer cruises...:)

Sue

Agreed, the longer the cruise, the older the crowd, The 7-10 day itineraries get more families with younger kids and holiday periods escalate that even more.:D

We are taking a five night cruise to Tassie on Carnival Spirit 3rd week in Feb.

Its out of school holidays...but still taking our 8yo granddaughter...which is one reason we are only taking a quickie.

Soooo..what sort of demographic can we expect? Certainly there should be others like ourselves...and I would like to think there would be a few kids on board... but is there also likely to be a "bogan" element ? :(

Any thoughts ?

Just off a Christmas Cruise on the Rhapsody. This cruise had a lovely vibe. All the guests happy and friendly. Demographics were middle-class 40-50s year olds. Not many oldies and not overrun my kiddies either . I think the kiddies spent the whole time in the kids club because they were hardly seen but then they suddenly appeared on Christmas morning when Santa was handing out gifts in the Centrum. Hardly any teens onboard. Our waiters told us they were expecting alot more teens on their next cruise which is over New Years.

Edited by aussielozzie18

We are taking a five night cruise to Tassie on Carnival Spirit 3rd week in Feb.

Its out of school holidays...but still taking our 8yo granddaughter...which is one reason we are only taking a quickie.

Soooo..what sort of demographic can we expect? Certainly there should be others like ourselves...and I would like to think there would be a few kids on board... but is there also likely to be a "bogan" element ? :(

Any thoughts ?

I doubt there will be many kids and being that itinerary, it is likely to be younger retirees and professional couples having a get away.:D

3rd week in February, most kids will be back at school. We cruised over Christmas (home for 2 days now :( ) & our cruise had 470 kids on board. Never saw them until Santa came on board, otherwise would have sworn there were only 20 or so!!:)

Hi there

Were you on the Rhapsody? I said the same thing - never say any kids until Christmas morning, when they all appeared out of the woodwork to meet Santa- they must have all been having too much fun in the kids clubs.

Thanks for the good thoughts, we are as right as rain. No issues with us thank goodness. :) I felt sorry for the crew they were everywhere cleaning on their no pax contact time. Must ruin their day time sleeping patterns.

I feel bad for the crew when that happens.:D