special needs dept. for gluten issues

screwsmcernst

I have gluten intolerance, and I was on Celebrity's special needs page, and I didn't see a prompt for food issues. Should I go through the special needs dept., or should I talk to the matre d when we board, or both? I am guessing both. :) Has anyone else had to deal with this issue on a ship? Please let me know how it went for you. Thanks.

I would go through Special Needs. I believe there is a section on the form for dietary needs.

Call your TA or if you don't have one, call X and ask them to email you the form.

It won't hurt to mention it to the Maitre D' when you board, either.

I have been seated with people who had a gluten problem and they even made special bread for them to take on shore excursions so that they could have a sandwich.

We have traveled often with friends who have Gluten intolerance. They just talked with the Maitre De on the first night. Each night going forward they were shown the next nights menu and asked what they would like prepared Gluten free. It was very easy and no problem at all. We ate in Blu with them o two cruises and the MDR on one.

I would go through Special Needs. I believe there is a section on the form for dietary needs.

Call your TA or if you don't have one, call X and ask them to email you the form.

It won't hurt to mention it to the Maitre D' when you board, either.

I have been seated with people who had a gluten problem and they even made special bread for them to take on shore excursions so that they could have a sandwich.

I am surprised to hear about the ship providing special food, or any food, to take on shore. There have been several threads about food not being allowed to be taken off the ship.

M

I don't know that the ship actually provides bread to take off the ship. They may have requested it at a meal and just carried it. Take a few plastic sandwich bags if you wish to do that. I prefer to bring wrapped bars and there is no question of carrying them in a foreign port.

You shouldn't be difficult to maintain your gf diet.

Even though I book with a travel agent, I call the Captain's Club direct and they always annotate my reservations "gluten-free" which then shows when I log into the X site and review my upcoming cruises. On my last cruise which ended Dec 15th, there were gluten-free cookies available on request at Cafe al Bacio and Oceanview. It was nice to have something crunchy (besides carrots) that you could take back to your cabin. :D

I do not eat any grains or sugar and find it easy to eat on a cruise ship because there is always an abundance of real food at every meal. The corn and tapioca starches used to make gluten-free items do not fit my lifestyle, so my only request is to the waiter not to put a bread basket on our table. Mainly eat in Blu, but MDR accommodates well too by removing sauces thickened with flour. X has grilled meats, vegetables, fish, eggs, huge salad bar, platters of fresh fruit, etc. There is always a good choice in buffet, AQ cafe, and at dinner, and with the new SPE menu items, maybe even more.

I contact the special needs dept as well as chat with the Maitre'D on embarkation day. A quick chat with the waiter each day as well ensures everything runs smooth!

Happy to hear al Bacio has GF cookies.... I always felt left out with no snack with my drink (well not really but....)

When I sat with the gluten-free guest on that cruise, the waiter brought her several extra slices of bread that were wrapped. The guest declared that she was going to make a sandwich to take off the ship the next day.

I imagine that if one is going on a long day's excursion in a foreign country where you don't speak the language, it might be difficult to eat gluten-free.

I am aware of rules about taking food off ships. We do carry Glucerna bars and shakes for DH as well as glucose tablets. The only time, in 25 years of cruising, we were searched was in Chile where you have to actually sign a declaration that you have not brought any food off the ship.

I have never seen a guest frisked by a port authority to see if they carried a sandwich.

When I sat with the gluten-free guest on that cruise, the waiter brought her several extra slices of bread that were wrapped. The guest declared that she was going to make a sandwich to take off the ship the next day.

I imagine that if one is going on a long day's excursion in a foreign country where you don't speak the language, it might be difficult to eat gluten-free.

I am aware of rules about taking food off ships. We do carry Glucerna bars and shakes for DH as well as glucose tablets. The only time, in 25 years of cruising, we were searched was in Chile where you have to actually sign a declaration that you have not brought any food off the ship.

I have never seen a guest frisked by a port authority to see if they carried a sandwich.

But there may be dogs there sniffing your bags. And when they ask they do kind of expect you to tell the truth. And since they're LAWS, not rules, considerable fines may be levied if you're caught.

In many countries it is illegal to take food off the ship, I believe there are notices regarding this. The only thing I ever take with me is a manufacture wrapped bar or package of cookies. Things like nuts, fruits, veggies and meats generally can't cross "borders"

But there may be dogs there sniffing your bags. And when they ask they do kind of expect you to tell the truth. And since they're LAWS, not rules, considerable fines may be levied if you're caught.

The only place I've seen dogs is in the debarkation terminal.

I didn't take the sandwich and I don't blame the woman who did.

I'm also wondering why taking a sandwich off a ship by someone who would probably not be able to eat all day is such a horrible thing. It's not like smuggling booze aboard the ship or, Heaven forbid, a clothes iron. :D

The laws regarding taking food off are there to protect local agriculture. They are the county's to decide, not the ship or the passengers. As visitors, we need to respect their right to protect their native species and their agricultural economy.

Even states within the US have agriculture protection policies. You can be stopped while driving into California and asked if you have any citrus fruits.

Those with severe allergies, or who need to eat often because of medications they are taking or other medical conditions can take care of their personal needs while still respecting the county they are visiting

The only place I've seen dogs is in the debarkation terminal.

I didn't take the sandwich and I don't blame the woman who did.

I'm also wondering why taking a sandwich off a ship by someone who would probably not be able to eat all day is such a horrible thing. It's not like smuggling booze aboard the ship or, Heaven forbid, a clothes iron. :D

These rules, which you seem to be trying to make light of, are designed to protect countries agriculture from pests. The US, of course, is well known for aggressively enforcing these rules.

Fines can be huge: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/

While a person trying to stay healthy is a good thing, if you consider the potential fines and the possible harm, it's way worse than smuggling booze onto the ship (not that I advocate that either).

Maybe you should all load your rifles and hunt down that 75 year old retired school teacher who has, by way of a gluten-free sandwich in 2007, endangered world agriculture. :eek:

She didn't take any raw fruit with her. She didn't take any raw vegetables or plants off the ship. She probably slapped a piece of cheese on the gluten-free bread and put it in her purse.

I am very well traveled both in the US and abroad. I lived in an RV for 9 years and traveled all over North America. I have been through agricultural check stations in Florida, California and Oregon. They check for fruit and vegetables, never sandwiches.

If you are coming into Nova Scotia from Newfoundland, they check for potatoes and you can't bring potatoes from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, either. Sandwiches are fine, as long as they don't contain home made sausage, which you can't bring into Canada from the US.

If you are crossing the Canadian border, there are permitted fruits and vegetables that you buy at specific supermarkets. No one asks about bringing a sandwich into Canada. They are much more interested in weapons than sandwiches.:)

I live on the Mexican border and cross it frequently. I often purchase avocados in Mexico and have the seeds removed so that I can take them over the border back to the US. They replace the avocado pit with a slice of jalapeno pepper and ICE thinks this fine.

Bread products, such as tortillas, pastries and pan dulce, can be purchased in Mexico and brought over the border to the US. So can cheeses, unwrapped candies and sugar products, vanilla extract, vanilla beans, etc.

If there are people so intent on dragging this thing out, kindly Google what is permissible to bring into every port that the cruise line stops at and post it here. I'd like to see where a sandwich is prohibited.

The retired teacher and her gluten free sandwich is such a minor thing in a world with much bigger problems. I think we should all give it a rest.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe you should all load your rifles and hunt down that 75 year old retired school teacher who has, by way of a gluten-free sandwich in 2007, endangered world agriculture. :eek:

She didn't take any raw fruit with her. She didn't take any raw vegetables or plants off the ship. She probably slapped a piece of cheese on the gluten-free bread and put it in her purse.

I am very well traveled both in the US and abroad. I lived in an RV for 9 years and traveled all over North America. I have been through agricultural check stations in Florida, California and Oregon. They check for fruit and vegetables, never sandwiches.

If you are coming into Nova Scotia from Newfoundland, they check for potatoes and you can't bring potatoes from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, either. Sandwiches are fine, as long as they don't contain home made sausage, which you can't bring into Canada from the US.

If you are crossing the Canadian border, there are permitted fruits and vegetables that you buy at specific supermarkets. No one asks about bringing a sandwich into Canada. They are much more interested in weapons than sandwiches.:)

I live on the Mexican border and cross it frequently. I often purchase avocados in Mexico and have the seeds removed so that I can take them over the border back to the US. They replace the avocado pit with a slice of jalapeno pepper and ICE thinks this fine.

Bread products, such as tortillas, pastries and pan dulce, can be purchased in Mexico and brought over the border to the US. So can cheeses, unwrapped candies and sugar products, vanilla extract, vanilla beans, etc.

If there are people so intent on dragging this thing out, kindly Google what is permissible to bring into every port that the cruise line stops at and post it here. I'd like to see where a sandwich is prohibited.

The retired teacher and her gluten free sandwich is such a minor thing in a world with much bigger problems. I think we should all give it a rest.

And of course every person I have ever arrested has given me the same argument. Why not go after the guy smuggling grapefruit, the cocaine isn't going to hurt anyone! Why don't you go catch the rapists? Or the 70 year old schoolteacher pedophile!

Sorry, I take the view the law is there for a reason and we should obey it or lobby to change it. See Colorado and marijuana. Now it's legal there but the Feds will bust you if you are transporting 50 pounds in your car. Go figure.