Major differences between RCCL and Celebrity?

balle26

I only know what I saw. These cruises were on M class ships and on Century. No wrapped linen napkins.

I don't sail on S class. Maybe that's where they use the linen, but it makes me wonder why the M class and century don't rate linens?

Next X cruises (not yet booked) will be B2Bs in 2015 on Millenium. I hope they will have cloth napkins.

I only know what I saw. These cruises were on M class ships and on Century. No wrapped linen napkins.

I don't sail on S class. Maybe that's where they use the linen, but it makes me wonder why the M class and century don't rate linens?

Next X cruises (not yet booked) will be B2Bs in 2015 on Millenium. I hope they will have cloth napkins.

I am just off the Infinity which is an M class ship and I have sailed on the Constellation . The cutlery was ALWAYS wrapped in cloth napkins at the buffet. I have never seen it as you described.

The utensils were wrapped in cloth linens.:) No trays.

Oh right, S class no trays:o......M class has them.

I was more surprised about the "cutlery" thing:eek:.....

I have sailed on all four M-Class ships as well as Century (and Mercury, Galaxy, Zenith, Horizon, Xpedition, and some [not al]] of the S-class ships) and all the cafe tableware I have encountered (whether in the main buffet or the Aqua Spa Cafe) was wrapped in a cloth napkin.

Thom

Along with everyone else on this forum, I know what I see: on every M-Class and S-Class Ive cruised on including the Constellation in Sept of this year and every other ship since 1997, All utensils, including those out at the Grill topside near the pool are wrapped in cloth napkins - even the ones out at the Grill for hamburgers and hotdogs!!

If these lips had even touched a paper napkin (perish the thought!), I'd have never forgot that!

So yes, your next Millinium cruise will have cloth napkins Everywhere! Heck, the Line has cloth towels in the Bathrooms!!!

Den

Edited by Denny01

Along with everyone else on this forum, I know what I see: on every M-Class and S-Class Ive cruised on including the Constellation in Sept of this year and every other ship since 1997, All utensils, including those out at the Grill topside near the pool are wrapped in cloth napkins - even the ones out at the Grill for hamburgers and hotdogs!!

If these lips had even touched a paper napkin (perish the thought!), I'd have never forgot that!

So yes, your next Millinium cruise will have cloth napkins Everywhere! Heck, the Line has cloth towels in the Bathrooms!!!

Den

Hi Denny:) thanks for your post....at least I know I haven't totally

lost my mind:p...I have sailed every ship in the fleet (sans Xpedition)

and I can't ever recall paper napkins and separate cutlery.....

This isn't helpful if you don't explain what the "many problems" on Celebrity were....:rolleyes:

Not really true; the issues they felt they had were well spelled out. Not everyone wants to give all minutiae and details on problems they had with a cruise line. We all have had a few. It was helpful to me just knowing that there are issues at times; I am new to Celebrity. I am asking you to be a bit more respectful. Thanks.

Hi Denny:) thanks for your post....at least I know I haven't totally

lost my mind:p...I have sailed every ship in the fleet (sans Xpedition)

and I can't ever recall paper napkins and separate cutlery.....

Lois, I will have a sleepless night tonight thinking someone actually said they had, my fingers refuse to type it......paper napkins on Celebrity....there I overcame my nausea and typed it out!

Kellie Poodle, I hope you realize we are just having a good time and don't think it is aimed at you. I think you may have mixed up your cruises and Lines. Not a big deal. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose. But I Do resent you giving me nightmares tonight!!! "Attack of the Paper Napkins!"

Den

On Connie 10 days ago, the silverware was wrapped in cloth napkins...so your theory on the "M" class doesn't work....

Not really true; the issues they felt they had were well spelled out. Not everyone wants to give all minutiae and details on problems they had with a cruise line. We all have had a few. It was helpful to me just knowing that there are issues at times; I am new to Celebrity. I am asking you to be a bit more respectful. Thanks.

and I WAS if you read further in the thread....I disagree, just saying "we had issues" doesn't really tell you anything...they DID respond with a list of things which I responded to....did you read further and see that?

Hi:) I don't think Gracie was being disrespectful:eek:.....Claire originally

said she had issues but didn't tell us what they were.....in my opinion,

it is much more helpful to know what the issues were..then in the above post, she did point them out to us.

I am sorry she had so many of them on her cruise for sure.

Edited by Lois R

Hi:) I don't think Gracie was being disrespectful:eek:.....Claire originally

said she had issues but didn't tell us what they were.....in my opinion,

it is much more helpful to know what the issues were..then in the above post, she did point them out to us.

I am sorry she had so many of them on her cruise for sure.

I agree. No disrespect was shown. The person started out making a blanket statement with no facts. She did come back but not until questioned.

and I WAS if you read further in the thread....I disagree, just saying "we had issues" doesn't really tell you anything...they DID respond with a list of things which I responded to....did you read further and see that?

I saw the response; I think posters should not be put on the defensive and challenged because someone doesn't quite 'like' their post/opinion, JMO. The original poster was nice enough to answer your challenge. We only post what we want to share; it is not up to anyone else. I think the original post shared quite a bit. :)

I saw the response; I think posters should not be put on the defensive and challenged because someone doesn't quite 'like' their post/opinion, JMO. The original poster was nice enough to answer your challenge. We only post what we want to share; it is not up to anyone else. I think the original post shared quite a bit. :)

I did NOT challenge the poster, I DID ask for more info, which they provided.

I did NOT challenge the poster, I DID ask for more info, which they provided.

Really, it came across as a challenge? :rolleyes: (Same sarcastic and eye rolling emoticon you posted in your original response to the OP.) IMO and perception the flaming comment in the OP's answer was referring to this. :)

Really, it came across as a challenge? :rolleyes: (Same sarcastic and eye rolling emoticon you posted in your original response to the OP.) IMO and perception the flaming comment in the OP's answer was referring to this. :)

Well the person came back and explained their issues, so it apparently wasn't an issue for them, I suspect the "flaming" comment refers to other posts when they initially reported their issues after whatever cruise they were on that caused them. If you consider my post to be "flaming" then I can't imagine your response to those that truly attack. I simply wanted more info and the OP provided it. No need for you to jump in the middle and analyze either my or their words. :confused:

Firstly, you have to work very hard to have a bad time on a cruise.

IMO, they are safe, easy, relatively stress free, you unpack once and you meet a variety of characters that you are usually unfortunately and unlikely to meet again. Although on our first anniversary cruise just this past October we were fabulously surprised to meet the same couple that we met on our honeymoon cruise on celebrity! Each cruise line has it's nuances that tend to lend itself to personal preferences. On all ships, you will be fed, watered and entertained. How this is all done and what you see is important is what makes or breaks a cruise.

I have been on 66 cruises and barring a couple, have had a good time on all of them. On one NCL ship, the cabin steward stole a lot of my mother's clothes as apparently his mother needed them. On Carnival (not a first choice but went on 6 times for conferences), I knew not to take anything really formal other than clean underwear as this line does not lend itself to the former. I have been on RCL ~40 times and cannot knock them. I switched to X somewhere along the way and if there were two identical itineraries, I would probably go with them. But you really cannot go wrong. HAL wasn't for me...it was too boring and demographics swayed upwards but that was just my opinion...it still fed and watered me and the ports didn't change! I do enjoy playing dress up as I wear scrubs everyday, and therefore appreciate a bit of a dress code. Celebrity tends toward getting the edge here although I wear the exact same things on both.

Despite cruising being a good value for money, it's still a big outlay and you so want it to be right. Be confident that it will be right, have a good attitude and don't sweat the small stuff!

Next cruise: March 22 2014 on the Eclipse, then on the maiden voyage of the Quantum of the seas in Nov 2014. Maybe one in between. But I know I will feel incredibly fortunate to be there!

Have a good cruise, and don't worry about the the loyalty stuff, it will happen.

Jackie

Firstly, you have to work very hard to have a bad time on a cruise.

IMO, they are safe, easy, relatively stress free, you unpack once and you meet a variety of characters that you are usually unfortunately and unlikely to meet again. Although on our first anniversary cruise just this past October we were fabulously surprised to meet the same couple that we met on our honeymoon cruise on celebrity! Each cruise line has it's nuances that tend to lend itself to personal preferences. On all ships, you will be fed, watered and entertained. How this is all done and what you see is important is what makes or breaks a cruise.

I have been on 66 cruises and barring a couple, have had a good time on all of them. On one NCL ship, the cabin steward stole a lot of my mother's clothes as apparently his mother needed them. On Carnival (not a first choice but went on 6 times for conferences), I knew not to take anything really formal other than clean underwear as this line does not lend itself to the former. I have been on RCL ~40 times and cannot knock them. I switched to X somewhere along the way and if there were two identical itineraries, I would probably go with them. But you really cannot go wrong. HAL wasn't for me...it was too boring and demographics swayed upwards but that was just my opinion...it still fed and watered me and the ports didn't change! I do enjoy playing dress up as I wear scrubs everyday, and therefore appreciate a bit of a dress code. Celebrity tends toward getting the edge here although I wear the exact same things on both.

Despite cruising being a good value for money, it's still a big outlay and you so want it to be right. Be confident that it will be right, have a good attitude and don't sweat the small stuff!

Next cruise: March 22 2014 on the Eclipse, then on the maiden voyage of the Quantum of the seas in Nov 2014. Maybe one in between. But I know I will feel incredibly fortunate to be there!

Have a good cruise, and don't worry about the the loyalty stuff, it will happen.

Jackie

Well said!! We are all very lucky to be on any cruise, no matter what line it is!!

Well the person came back and explained their issues, so it apparently wasn't an issue for them, I suspect the "flaming" comment refers to other posts when they initially reported their issues after whatever cruise they were on that caused them. If you consider my post to be "flaming" then I can't imagine your response to those that truly attack. I simply wanted more info and the OP provided it. No need for you to jump in the middle and analyze either my or their words. :confused:

Gracie,

You are correct. When I wrote about flames regarding negatives I anticipated armchair analysis, psychology, or mind reading on this board in defense of Celebrity.

Your comments in response to mine are appropriate and informative not "flaming". I learned from your additions to my post. The comment that OASIS main dining is as crowded as Celebrity is a warning.

Claire

Our favorite cruise line is Celebrity, which we have cruised on many times. We cruised on R.C. only once this past September, for a family cruise with 4 generations. I chose R.C. because it had ice skating, rock climbing, in line skating, basketball etc. for the younger generations, to keep them happy. The food was terrible on R.C., the buffet was meager and a big disappointment.

It was hard to get on elevators because of the amount of passengers on board the ship. We are Diamond level on R.C. because of our Elite status on Celebrity and we were treated like first time cruisers. We had to ask for shampoo and lotions, we had to ask for bathrobes. The captains parties were a let down, the shows were not very good, customer service was very bad. We were billed hundreds of dollars for free bags of laundry that we were supposed to get and had to argue to get it removed. We had 2 sleepless nights on board due to banging inside the wall, finally after many visits and calls for customer service, they sent engineers who opened the wall and fixed the problem, they should have been sent the first night. The offered us a small discount for our next cruise. I don't think so. We were 8 people in 4 staterooms, that I booked, we were all disappointed in the cruise.

What a big difference in every way, we prefer the elegance, the food and everything that Celebrity offers, and there is plenty to do on board. If you are going to use the rock climbing, ice skating, etc. then go for R.C.

We will not book again with R.C. or Norwegian, even Carnival is superior. Celebrity is much finer in every way.

Gracie,

You are correct. When I wrote about flames regarding negatives I anticipated armchair analysis, psychology, or mind reading on this board in defense of Celebrity.

Your comments in response to mine are appropriate and informative not "flaming". I learned from your additions to my post. The comment that OASIS main dining is as crowded as Celebrity is a warning.

Claire

Thanks!

About Oasis and the MDR...don't get me wrong we enjoyed our cruise and the food was better than we expected but when I say that we literally had to have people at other tables move their chairs to access our table I'm quite serious. The waiter could not get around the tables at all. We were at early seating. The last two days of the cruise they had rearranged them a bit which made it easier but have never seen MDR table that close. Perhaps the My Time Dining area or the later seating would be easier...something to consider....

Thanks!

About Oasis and the MDR...don't get me wrong we enjoyed our cruise and the food was better than we expected but when I say that we literally had to have people at other tables move their chairs to access our table I'm quite serious. The waiter could not get around the tables at all. We were at early seating. The last two days of the cruise they had rearranged them a bit which made it easier but have never seen MDR table that close. Perhaps the My Time Dining area or the later seating would be easier...something to consider....

Our dinners in the Windjammer/Jade buffet on Freedom were perfect.

There was plenty of staff to help us in anyway. They always served our drinks and visit the table to see if we needed anything.

I shouldn't post a secret here but: Freedom's buffet dinner was varied & plentiful, the seating was quiet & romantic compared to the main dining room.

Happy Cruising to the OP, no matter which ship you choose.

Claire