Royal Princess Mini Review

sailing sue

We sailed on the Royal Princess from December 15 to December 22. We arrived at the terminal around noon. The line up was very long for embarkation. We were in our room at 1:00 pm. This was the longest we ever had to wait to board.

The room was a good size, but the balcony was the smallest I have ever seen. We had cabin M715, which is a great location - very close to the aft and very very close to the aft elevator and staircase.

The food was great. Our favourite place to eat was Alfredo's Pizzeria. Oh , so very tasty!

The Piazza is beautiful and had dancing and lots of things going on all day and night.

I booked this cruise only for the Royal Princess experience. We have been to Princess Cays, St. Thomas and St. Martin many times already. At St Thomas we docked at Crown Bay, and had to spend extra money for the taxi to downtown.

The ship is ever so beautiful. The staff were all amazing. I went to one singers and dancers shows in the theatre and they were (in my opinion) pretty terrible. (Sorry folks) I left 1/2 way through the show.

The ship layout is terrible. All the stairs to go up and down was awful. It sure would be hard for a disabled person to get around.

Believe it or not, my favourite place on the whole ship for daytime sunning is the aft smoking area on deck 17 aft . It is huge. I do not smoke, but you do not smell the smoke. There is a makeshift bar with a bartender, who is the one of the best! I think he is from Russia, but not exactly sure. For a really quiet day at sea, go there. You have your choice of many loungers and the view is the wake! Perfect for relaxation.

I have sailed Princess before on the Emerald and the Ruby. However beautiful the Royal Princess is, I will not sail her again.

I agree that the lack of a central staircase is an issue but I found so many other things that I liked about the Royal that I'm looking forward to re-boarding in September. For me, the positives far outweighed a few negatives.

Edited by Pam in CA

I agree that the lack of a central staircase is an issue but I found so many other things that I liked about the Royal that I'm looking forward to re-boarding in September. For me, the positives far outweighed a few negatives.

Agree 100%. Im looking forward to the Regal in August myself!

Pam....is the Grand without a central staircase still? Did they put one in during the big remodel?

OP....From what I understand, from pics I have seen, the same seating is available on the non-smoking side of the ship. A great place to sit, relax and watch the sea if you don't want to be by the smoking area.

Sounds like you enjoyed most of your cruise. I am looking forward to sailing the Royal.:D

Thank you, Sue.. Yes, as I've stated the staircase issue on the Royal is real problem... and I think that finally this is becoming clearer to those few remaining diehards.. :rolleyes:

- Rick

For those just starting, might be a treat to behold:D I would have booked this ship even if the stairs were on the ceiling just to get the feeling it was not another Princess ship with the same ole feel and look. It was disheartening wanting to cruise Princess but found no joy in being on another ship with the same ole look and feel as the previous ones.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Sailing Sue .... Thanks so much for your thoughts on Royal Princess.

We have cruised on Emerald, Crown, and Ruby. Trying to decide about Royal.

Does the aft smoking area on deck 17 have any shade at all? Some of us who are not bothered one way or the other about the smoke smell, would enjoy the wake view but not being in full sun.

LuLu

~~~~

Does the aft smoking area on deck 17 have any shade at all? Some of us who are not bothered one way or the other about the smoke smell, would enjoy the wake view but not being in full sun.

LuLu

~~~~

The Aft area is partially shaded by an over hang.

There are quite a few Deck Chairs.

I feel the same way & I'm just one of the many diehards who would enjoy sailing again on the Royal or on the Regal. Hopefully the existing stairs will be finished for passenger use but it's far from a deal breaker for me.

...Pam, we were on the same sailing earlier this year on the Diamond (Beijing to Whittier). That cruise is on our Top 5 cruises of all time...for a number of reasons. That said, you will probably agree that Deck 5 on the Diamond felt largely like a space horribly wasted...we missed not having the International Café.

Regarding the Royal Princess...we love the ship. Most specially The Pastry Shop, Alfredo's, Ocean Terrace, and as always the International Café. However, I will turn blue in the face and say still with a smile, things that were simply bad:

* Fitness Center/gym was horribly cramped. Ask those who used the weight machines.

* The theater was horribly cramped as well. No balcony seating. No stairs or walkway on the sides. The seat's armrest measures less than 18 inches. (Yes, I measured it.)

* The Sea Walk...really? Useless.

* The Fountains...wasted space.

* No stairs above deck 7 in the center atrium...nuff said.

* Cabanas For Rent: A passenger asked the crew why one would want to rent these cabanas? The crew said: "So you can pull down the curtains and have more privacy". The passenger said: "If I wanted more privacy, I'd go back to my cabin". Never saw anyone renting the cabanas.

* Last but not least, the removal of the lap pool and the sauna. (Now you can go to the Lotus Spa and use the sauna...for a fee.)

JMHO:)

* Cabanas For Rent: A passenger asked the crew why one would want to rent these cabanas? The crew said: "So you can pull down the curtains and have more privacy". The passenger said: "If I wanted more privacy, I'd go back to my cabin". Never saw anyone renting the cabanas.

Must vary from cruise to cruise. The Eastern Caribbean itinerary has 3 sea days. On our first sea day, the wind was fierce and a few of us braved sitting next to the railing walls for protection but no one was in a cabana -- you couldn't walk from one side to the other of the retreat area without losing your hat. On the other two (relatively calm :D) sea days, 5 out of 6 of the cabanas were rented in the morning when we were up by the Retreat pool.

...Pam, we were on the same sailing earlier this year on the Diamond (Beijing to Whittier). That cruise is on our Top 5 cruises of all time...for a number of reasons. That said, you will probably agree that Deck 5 on the Diamond felt largely like a space horribly wasted...we missed not having the International Café.

Regarding the Royal Princess...we love the ship. Most specially The Pastry Shop, Alfredo's, Ocean Terrace, and as always the International Café. However, I will turn blue in the face and say still with a smile, things that were simply bad:

* Fitness Center/gym was horribly cramped. Ask those who used the weight machines.

* The theater was horribly cramped as well. No balcony seating. No stairs or walkway on the sides. The seat's armrest measures less than 18 inches. (Yes, I measured it.)

* Last but not least, the removal of the lap pool and the sauna. (Now you can go to the Lotus Spa and use the sauna...for a fee.):)

Everyone uses different features on a ship... or not. The Diamond is getting updated with an IC but then she's repositioning to sail from Japan.

I don't use the fitness center, rarely go to the theater unless it's for a lecture, the Sea Walk is interesting... once, never saw the fountains, agree about the stairs, apparently the cabanas have been very popular in the Caribbean, and I've never used the lap pool or the sauna so I don't miss them. (Even not using the gym, lap pool or sauna, I've never gained weight on a cruise.) Heck, I've missed the covered pool for many years (one of the reasons why I love the ships with a covered pool) and there hasn't been a new Princess ship built with a true Promenade in mega years (where there are loungers and you can walk completely around without stairs) so I guess I'm a bit of an old fogey.

Hi, I'm sailing on the Royal Princess March 16th. Can't wait! Can anyone tell me a couple things?

Is the embarkation and disembarkation easy and fast? We will be landing at Ft Lauderdale at noon and also leaving at noon. Not too many flight options. I don't think the airport is very far from the port. Any input would help.:)

Also, did anyone get a soda package? Wondered how it works and if it's worth it. On past ships, the bartenders always seemed bothered to refill sodas. Wondered if they have machines now.

Thanks!!!

Thank you.. Yes, as I've stated the staircase issue on the Royal is real problem... and I think that finally this is becoming clearer to those few remaining diehards.. :rolleyes:

- Rick

Rick, I had a midship cabin the week of Dec 8-15, and the lack of staircase wasn't an issue at all for ME. Midship elevator response time was adequate, and mostly very good. One time was stuck in an elevator for a few minutes on deck 7, but mostly no issues, and I took the elevator frequently during the cruise.

I was with a group, and we had an event every evening in the Vista Lounge. I found it no problem (for ME) to walk to the aft stairs and go down 2 decks. I have to say that stroll allowed me to go home no heavier than I arrived, in spite of the lure of the IC. Sure, if there had been midship stairs, I would have used them, but the week I was on, lack of them did not cause an issue (for ME).

I am only giving my perspective. Perhaps the lack is an issue for some - but surely not all passengers!

I loved my cruise that week. What a gorgeous ship, so much entertainment to choose from. I would definitely choose Royal or Regal if the price and itinerary were right, lack of stairs and all.

Edited by slc22

The ship layout is terrible. All the stairs to go up and down was awful. It sure would be hard for a disabled person to get around.

Thank you, Sue.. Yes, as I've stated the staircase issue on the Royal is real problem... and I think that finally this is becoming clearer to those few remaining diehards.. :rolleyes:

- Rick

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

I'm not sure if I am misreading the OP's comment, but I believe the concern was in regards to the stairs themselves, and not the elevators. Several of the staircases were very steep in appearance, or higher than a normal single flight of stairs like this one....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3707/11597831504_c4cfcbf223_z.jpg

Even Cruisin Chris commented on his Live thread that the elevators were a non-issue for the most part.

Elevators haven't seemed to operate any differently to me than on any other ship. There hasn't been any excessive waiting or anything like that.

That was also my experience for two weeks aboard ship, even with the amid ship elevators.

Hi, I'm sailing on the Royal Princess March 16th. Can't wait! Can anyone tell me a couple things?

Is the embarkation and disembarkation easy and fast? We will be landing at Ft Lauderdale at noon and also leaving at noon. Not too many flight options. I don't think the airport is very far from the port. Any input would help.:)

Also, did anyone get a soda package? Wondered how it works and if it's worth it. On past ships, the bartenders always seemed bothered to refill sodas. Wondered if they have machines now.

Thanks!!!

We were also on the Dec 15th cruise. The embarkation was a mess up until around 1:30 P.M. We did EZ check and got off at 7:50 A.M. and out the door on the dock by 8:30A.M. It was worth the extra $40 for both of us to not see our bags from Sat night until at our home airport Sunday night. It can take some time to get your bags in the terminal and go throw customs. We walked right off the ship into a seperate line for EZ check people and 5 min. later we were done. I had the soda and coffee pkgs and did not have any problems at all during the week. I agree about the gym but I did buy the Enclave for me and my wife for the week and it was worth it for us. I would comment on the other things but everyone has been beating that into the ground all the way to the toliet paper holder so you might get it why I am done with the other stuff. I have more important things in life to worrying about other than walking a little extra or worrying how long a elevator takes. We had a good time and I also did not like certain things but it still was a fun week that you would not have at home I bekieve !

Edited by fielddreamer

I got the soda sticker on the Royal T/A and never had a problem. I ask for a soda and don't worry about whether they've run or walked to get it. Sometimes it took longer than others. No machines. I'd much rather ask for a soda than have to stand at a machine. Don't think I'd like that. But I do like that Princess has tableside beverage service, unlike other lines I've been on.

* Last but not least, the removal of the lap pool and the sauna. (Now you can go to the Lotus Spa and use the sauna...for a fee.)

JMHO:)

I sailed on the Royal from 12/8-15 and i really liked this ship. Is she perfect, no! But I feel compelled to counter some of the negative remark.

-I had no problem with the Fitness Center. i was usually there 8:30-9:00 and had no problem getting the machines/weights I wanted

-Th theater is a bit cramped, has no side aisles and no place for drinks.

-I LOVED the Seawalk. I was there morning, mid0day and night and loved the sensation of being suspended. I did not focus on balconies below finding they were no more exposed than tiered balconies on any other ship.

-Fountains. Take up too much real estate, but they were beautiful few times they were utilized

-Stairs. Only an issue if you have a very central room or are handicapped. Aft and forward stairs not that far from center. Easy walk to activities on each level.

-Cabanas. Agree these are a true waste.

Will I do Royal/Regal. Yes according to itinerary

I sailed on the Royal from 12/8-15 and i really liked this ship.

-Stairs. Only an issue if you have a very central room or are handicapped. Aft and forward stairs not that far from center. Easy walk to activities on each level

Hi, Jangor, I was on your sailing. I did have a very central room, and lack of stairs were not an issue for that location for me. I was 2 doors down from the elevator landing. The benefit of the extended balcony far outweighed using the elevators, or like you mentioned - easy walk, not very far forward and aft. I loved the location, and would not hesitate to book another midship on the Royal.

I agree with you - we really liked this ship, too!

I just booked this cruise an hour ago so I appreciate all the comments. The only thing I predict will be an issue (after reading the pros and cons) is the size of the balcony :( ...seems that it could feel a little cramped.

Thanks for the review.