LAFFNVEGAS Live From the Gelukkig Nieuwjaar Cruise on the MS Veendam

LAFFNVEGAS

Sunday Evening December 29, 2013

Good Evening from the MS Veendam where it is the first formal night. I am actually a it surprised we saw far more men wearing a tux. Although there were the few dressed very casual wearing a sweat shirt hoodie sitting in the front row of the show lounge for the Captain's Toast.

It was actually a very nice relaxing day. Lunch in the Pinnacle was quite good, of course I had to have the Five Onion Soup, I just hope they never drop that from the menu. After lunch Tom headed yo to the Crow's Nest to read and I found a deck chair on the Promenade Deck. Now I did go out on the Starboard side which from reading the CC is to be the smoking side but for the 90 minutes I was out there saw nor smelled any smoke. The sound of they ocean was so relaxing that soon I laid my iPad down and dozed off for a little while. After my little deck snooze I went to the Show Lounge to watch the first Session of Dancing with the Stars. It was packed with people all over the place participating in the Dance lessons. Today was the Jive. While I was just an observer it was very entertaining. Heading out of the show lounge I ran into Simone de Boer the Hotel Director so went into his office and chatted with him for a while. We are definitely at Max capacity on the ship with about 200 children on board, three cabins currently empty but those will be catching the ship tomorrow in Cabo.

As I mentioned it is the first Formal night, several empty tables but interesting that they bring people in to sit at the empty tables from downstairs. Tonight's menu did not seem overly formal. Tom had the Shrimp cocktail, salad and the Tenderloin with two large Shrimp. I had the Mussels, Potato Leek Soup and the Chicken Scaloppini. We polished off another bottle of the Robert Mondovi Special Reserve Riesling. It is a Wine that both Tom and I agree on with the Navigator package.

Oh I forgot to mention last night at about 10:10 pm our cabin was consumed with the extremely strong smell of diesel fuel, even Tom who rarely smells things thought it was really bad. I checked the hall way to see if the smell was out there and it was not. Then as quickly as the smell entered the cabin it also faded away and we have not smelled since.*

Tomorrow we are in Cabo and we received a card this evening stating all 4 and 5 star Mariners had priority tendering, I actually had forgotten that was a benefit.

Tomorrow I will start enjoying some Margaritas ;)

The weather has been warm and relaxing so tomorrow should be great.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Veendam as we get closer to Cabo San Lucas Mexico.

Lisa, when was your Explore4 Pinnacle reservation for?

Because we booked an Inside to begin with but was upgraded to an OV we are to get Canaletto, they assigned us the exact same time the we already had pre paid reservation for Le Cirque . We canceled Canaletto and most likely will not use.

How was San Diego terminal/check in? Have been hearing mixed reviews- surly staff, people in suite/mariner check in line confronted when employee didn't think they "looked" like passengers, etc. Just curious if SAN has improved

Frank it was actually the smoothest check in we have had. Everyone was super friendly and we probably were on the ship about 15 minutes after we arrived. But the we got to the terminal about 11 :45 and there was hardly anyone there. Even the Lido was really empty it was a bit strange.

Because we booked an Inside to begin with but was upgraded to an OV we are to get Canaletto, they assigned us the exact same time the we already had pre paid reservation for Le Cirque . We canceled Canaletto and most likely will not use.

That's a shame. I know they are auto-assigned but they can't move it to a time where you aren't paying a hefty premium for another venue?

Good Morning Lisa,

Hope it's warmer where you are...-17 here and almost -40 below windchill today.....Time to get packing for the Caribbean on Sunday....can't come soon enough.....Have a wonderful New Year's Eve on board.....We have a 14 year old granddaughter staying with us on New Year's Eve, so it's pizza, sparkling cider and shrimp to celebrate.....

Sounds like Tom is off to a full recovery....Happy Days....

Be safe out there on the high seas...

Bob

Hi Lisa and Tom.. glad you are having a wonderful cruise and Tom is doing nicely!

We are also in the aft facing OV on the January cruise to Hawaii and would be interested to know if you hear slamming doors from the outside. How is the overall condition of the ship? Other than the low toilet (lol), how is the plumbing and the A/C? Are you enjoying the quick access to the LP deck?

Have a great day in Cabo today! :D

We have arrived in Cabo San Lucas and it is a beautiful day. They just lowered the tenders and are saying Tender tickets will not be available till noon I am guessing that is when we can go right to the tender since we have priority tendering

Here are a few pics

agavyny9.jpgu7a3a9y7.jpguqesyqer.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your live thread, and the update on the explore4. I know you have decided against using your freebie Canletto dinner, but I wonder if they would have even let you reschedule it?

I'm nervous about my PG dinner being scheduled at a bad time, and if they can't even put it on a date/time where you already have a dinner reservation, it doesn't fill me with hope. :rolleyes:

Did you by any chance feel the 7.2 eartquake that hit Mexico today? Apparently it was felt as far north as San Diego? I saw the notice of it on the San Diego Web Cam Link that Melodie posted.

Cannot find any other news about this so do not know if the web site it was on was old news or new....

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Did you by any chance feel the 7.2 eartquake that hit Mexico today? Apparently it was felt as far north as San Diego? I saw the notice of it on the San Diego Web Cam Link that Melodie posted.

Cannot find any other news about this so do not know if the web site it was on was old news or new....

Joanie

No did not feel a thing but then we were on the ship till about Noon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Lisa you are having to much fun. really all that great food and drinks and warm ports. its cold her in Massachusetts and on the 2nd of January a large snow storm. I hope you and tom have a wonderful cruise. You seem so far have been wonderful. But Hal crew are wonderful to begin with. So the rest of us have to sit home home while others have wonderful cruises. I just need to think if I can do another cruise and forget about household stuff that needs to be done or surgery not covered by insurace. But like many of us we can't cruise every day of a year

Mary

Tuesday December 31, 2013

Hola from Mazatlan!!! And Happy New Year!!!

We are still in the ship slept in this morning and totally relaxing. So far from what I can see Mazatlan pier looks exactly as it did three years ago. Evidently with do ships coming here the did not build that new pier.

Yesterday was a fabulous day in Cabo the weather could not have been more perfect, the temps were warm but far from hot and the humidity was extreme low. Cabo was packed with tourist and since we were the only ship in port one immediately knew it was with many there to vacation and spend the holidays. We had an extreme nice looking out at the pier and the two Margaritas I had were strong but made with a very good tequila so they did not taste nasty like they with too much cheap tequila ;) Tom also had several Dos Eques and amazingly we spent less than we did at Chilies a few nights ago :) But with those very good Margaritas I was basically ready for a nap, so that is what we did we headed back and I took I nice 2 hour nap before dinner.

Last night was also the VIP Party from 7:30 to 8 in the Crows Nest. It was packed when we got up there hardly a seat to be found. We were seated with a ice couple from Vancouver then Captain Bo's came over and talked to us for quite a while. Very interesting Captain and I am very much enjoying him. Of course Simon de Boar is quite the character too. We ended up staying I the Crows nest for about another hour and a half sitting and talking with some CCer's.

A couple things I did want to mention first with the kids on board there are cabins very close with kids I that pre teen early teen age that are extreme loud and noisy. The first night was no problem but the were up quite late Sunday night. As far as Boise of people going out the door to the promenade that has not really bothered us. I actually do really like this location and oddly not really missing the balcony at all.

Today in Mazatlan the crew were performing numerous safety drills firm fire to life boat I was quite surprised over the comment that passengers were welcome to observe and ask questions at the completion of the drill.

Then I must not forget I talking about the very low toilets Tom wanted to state that the men's bathrooms on deck 8 had extreme HIGH urinals and he had to get on his tippy toes. I told him that was for the tall Dutchman. :D

Well I think I will go sign off I think lunch at Pancho's is calling me.

Oh I also wanted to mention tonight is also a Formal night with the Festivities starting at 11 pm in the Showroom At Sea :)

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Veendam.

Then I must not forget I talking about the very low toilets Tom wanted to state that the men's bathrooms on deck 8 had extreme HIGH urinals and he had to get on his tippy toes. I told him that was for the tall Dutchman. :D

TMI! :eek:

But really, it sounds like you and Tom are having a great time. Thanks for taking us with you! ;)

We hope you and Tom will have a great Nieuwjaarsdag in Puerto Vallarta. I heard the weather isnot that great, but hopefully you will have a sunny day as start for 2014.

Gelukkig nieuwjaar to you both.