Chops & Portafino's

We've done it both ways. We have enjoyed Portofino's but are happy in the dining room. It's just that when we sail in December, it's always on my daughter's birthday. This cruise, there's a Chops on board, but we haven't decided if we'll go or not. (family opinion seems to be leaning away from going)

Carol

How many of you NOT go to these and eat in the main dining room all week? We have never been on a ship where these were an option but we love the dining room. Just curious what everyone thinks.

I always said I would NEVER pay extra money to dine in a specialty restaurant. That was until my recent Enchantment cruise. On the first two nights the steaks in the main dining room were so disappointing I decided to give CHOPS a try. Needless to say we never returned to the main dining room after trying CHOPS. Best Filet Mignon I ever had. Wonderful service also. Just ashame I couldn't say the same about the main dining room.

We've done it both ways. We have enjoyed Portofino's but are happy in the dining room. It's just that when we sail in December, it's always on my daughter's birthday. This cruise, there's a Chops on board, but we haven't decided if we'll go or not. (family opinion seems to be leaning away from going)

Carol

Carol, if you enjoy steak, you have to try CHOPS. :D

he knows of 'whence he speaks'...I know, have 'done' alternative rests. on a lot of ships & cruiselines and have yet to regret doing it...and that includes lunches as well as dinners. Some are better than others but all have been superior food wise to what u receive in the dining room not to mention service and the 'ambience'...well worth the $'s. Most of the reason is that u are paying extra to eat so, naturally, expect more and get it. Only problem is u will be spoiled and not want to return to the dining room (and on RCCL the dining room food is quite good especially lately-in my opinion anyway..) Happy cruisin' all!

On our Panama Canal cruise, we were put on the late seating at dinner. My in-laws can not stay up that late to eat dinner...so we decided to not go the the dining room at all for the 2 weeks and we would alternate between Chops, Portofinos and Wind Jammer for dinner. Worked out great for us...our tips that we would have used at dinner went to the specialty restaurant. Oh and before anyone flames us for not experiencing the dining room experience, my in-laws and us are platinum members and we've been there and done that. To each his own...try them, you'll like them!

he knows of 'whence he speaks'...I know, have 'done' alternative rests. on a lot of ships & cruiselines and have yet to regret doing it...and that includes lunches as well as dinners. Some are better than others but all have been superior food wise to what u receive in the dining room not to mention service and the 'ambience'...well worth the $'s. Most of the reason is that u are paying extra to eat so, naturally, expect more and get it. Only problem is u will be spoiled and not want to return to the dining room (and on RCCL the dining room food is quite good especially lately-in my opinion anyway..) Happy cruisin' all!

The 10 ounce Filet Mignon I had was so tender you literally could cut it with a fork. The side dishes and desert were also delicious as well. We had a table for two next to the window. They have the lights turned down low. Very nice.

Oh, I know that the alternative restaurants are good. We don't know the OP's financial or mental/attitude situation. While I can acknowledge that the food is generally better in Portofino's or Chops, I will also say that I always found the food in the main dining room to be good, and we have always had excellent servers there, too. So, it depends on whether you think that the $20 (plus, some say, more gratuity) upcharge is worth paying.

How do you tip, when going to one of these speciality restaurants? Do you still tip the waiter in the dining room for the nights you don't go? How much is required for a tip at Chop's or Portofino's??? Just wondering????

it is customary to still tip your dining room waiter for that night.

I always leave a little extra at Chops and Portofinos but I believe it is not required.

I always eat at both Chops and Portofinos on my RCI cruises. I like to get away with Gene and have an intimate dinner once or twice in every cruise.

We enjoyed Chops on the Mariner, I don’t know why we did not consider Portofinos.

We made reservations for Chops on the Radiance and enjoyed the dinner (with a couple we met on the ship). We happened to walk into Portofinos and it was so beautiful and romantic we decided to eat there the last evening. (we took care of the dining room wait staff before our reservation J)

Both evenings on the Radiance – there was hardly anyone in the specialty restaurants.

We don’t miss the specialty restaurants on ships that don’t have one – but we do enjoy the option if available.

Oh - we do add a little extra to the service fee as we seem to have such a wonderful evening

Marci

For the most part I've been happy with the dining room quality and service. They do have a couple of menu's we just don't like so we enjoy the alternative restaurants on those nights. Venetian night is the one menu I can think of that neither of us has found a main course we really like.

Haven't been on a ship yet that had a Chops or Portofinos, but our next cruise will have a Chops. Don't know if we'll try it or not. It's not because of the extra surcharge, but we so enjoy the dining experience with the same tablemates and dining staff, I'm not sure I want to walk away from them for one night...

We very much enjoyed Chops on our Navigator cruise. It's always best to make reservations the first day. Ask them for a copy of the dining room menu for the length of the cruise and just pick a night that doesn't appeal to you.

do you ask at the purser's desk, or the dining room maitre'd for the

copy of the entire menu? If you don't make the reservation early, you don't

get in, but with my luck we'd pick the night with the best dining room menu

We have dined at the Portofino on three different RCI ships and enjoyed every one. We have discovered that on formal nights it is quite easy to secure a reservation in the Chops or Portofino. The only regret I have had about the Portofino is that I eat too much. Somehow the food just seems better than the dining room or maybe the service is better or quicker. The servers are less rushed.

I would go at least twice each cruise if I could, but my hubby really prefers the Windjammer, of all things, because he says it is quieter at night and he can get what he wants when he wants it. He has very limited patience with the dining room.

I did Chops once and Portofinos twice last RCI cruise and always enjoy the specialty restaurants.

I like the wonderful food, attentive service, intimate and elegant atmosphere, dress code and the fact that there are no kids allowed.

For me, it is a special treat.

We like having options and have dined at both Portifinos and Chops. Like the dining room also. Romantic nights in the specialty restaurant are a treat for us. We usually eat at both places at some point during our cruises. Either way.. bottom line.. you will never go hungry on a cruise.

.......Somehow the food just seems better than the dining room or maybe the service is better or quicker......

The food should be better. In the dining room, you're meal is cooked along with a few thousand other meals in production style cooking. It then sits for awhile until waitstaff picks it up and delivers it to your table. While cruise lines are very good at this and the meals are generaly of high quality, it doesn't compare to a cooked to order gourmet meal.

In the specialty restaurants, you meal is cooked for you when you order it. It shouldn't sit around with thousands of other meals waiting for someone to pick it up. It's cooked fresh for you and delivered quickly to your table, just like in the better stand alone restaurants onshore.

In my mind, it's the difference between cafeteria style and restaurant style.

Archived