Tips - When and how much?

TowandaUK

We have prepaid gratuities but are aware that we should be tipping cash as well. We are from the UK where tipping isn't as widespread as in the US and are also used to GBP not $, so are unsure what is expected. Would be grateful of any advice of when we should tip and how much. Presumably the room steward, room service etc?

As you have prepaid gratuities, you do not NEED to pay anything more to anyone; nothing further is expected.

However some choose to add to the prepaid gratuities for various reasons; we have given small extra amounts, typically $10, to individuals who have given exceptional service in some way.

Giving a couple/few dollars to the person delivering room service seems to be something of an accepted norm but again it isn't mandatory.

Typically you would tip in US dollars at the end of the cruise.

Tipping is one of the hot topics in cruising; expect a number of differing views...

The "daily tips" are prepaid and nothing more is required. The additional tips that you might consider are room service if ordered it is customary to tip a dollar or two for the person that delivers it. Additionally when you drop off your bags a tip is customary for the porters. Generally I believe it us about $5 per bag. The other place that you might consider tipping is shore excursions. The guides will normally ask for tips for a good tour. We normally just do between $1-5 depending on the quality of the tour.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I know that this conversation as been talked about a lot...however, I always feel funny giving $5 or 10$ at the end of the trip to the steward or butler, it makes me feel cheap unless it's $50 or so and I don't want to be handing out $50 tips all over...anyone have thoughts on this?

The "daily tips" are prepaid and nothing more is required. The additional tips that you might consider are room service if ordered it is customary to tip a dollar or two for the person that delivers it. Additionally when you drop off your bags a tip is customary for the porters. Generally I believe it us about $5 per bag. The other place that you might consider tipping is shore excursions. The guides will normally ask for tips for a good tour. We normally just do between $1-5 depending on the quality of the tour.

Let me see... $5 for a porter to move your bag from portside to a rollable cart vs. perhaps as little as $1 to a cruise guide who in most cases spends 2-5 hours with you, depending on the excursion? Am I the only one who finds this a bit disproportionate? Am I missing something here?

In addition to the prepaid gratuities, I tip waitstaff a dollar or two for our drinks. At the elite happy hour be sure and tip the waitstaff, since the drinks are free.

I usually tip the head waiter and assistant waiter at our table $20 and $10 at the end of the cruise. Also, tip the wine steward, if service was good as well as room steward.

Further, when room service for breakfast is delivered, I tip two dollars.

I know that this conversation as been talked about a lot...however, I always feel funny giving $5 or 10$ at the end of the trip to the steward or butler, it makes me feel cheap unless it's $50 or so and I don't want to be handing out $50 tips all over...anyone have thoughts on this?

Perhaps thinking about 1,500 or 2,000 passengers each giving an additional $5 to $10 to a hard working crew is another way to look at this. Tipping earlier in the cruise for exceptional service often results in some unexpected surprises.

We bring thank you cards when we travel so we can write a personal note at the end of the cruise, along with giving a tip, to those folks with whom we've interacted personally who have made a difference in our cruise. (And thus no need to try to find envelopes at Guest Services! :)) Unless there's been a problem along the way, we give tips at the end of the cruise to our cabin steward and assistant and our waiter and assistant. We are also likely to tip the ass't sommelier assigned to our table. (And there are usually occasions for smaller tips along the way, e.g., for room service, bar service [even with the beverage package, which includes gratuities, we like to give the actual server a tip], and specialty dining.)

If the cruise is in Europe, what is the most useful currency for the crew as tip? US$ because this is the currency used on the ship or Euros because it is what they will need for their small expenses ashore?

Previously, before the beverage package era, it was easy to add 1$ on the bills we had to sign. What do you do now? Do you board the ship with a lot of 1$, 5$, 10$ bills for tipping purpose? Do you obtain change from Guest Relations?

We've done many shore excursions and have never had a guide ask for a tip; anyone who asks for a tip certainly wouldn't get one from us!

We have prepaid gratuities but are aware that we should be tipping cash as well. We are from the UK where tipping isn't as widespread as in the US and are also used to GBP not $, so are unsure what is expected. Would be grateful of any advice of when we should tip and how much. Presumably the room steward, room service etc?

Tipping culture on a cruise ship isn't like tipping anywhere else. It's confusing to Americans as well.

First, your prepaid gratuities cover the room stewards and the dining room staff. Most people will not tip any extra at all. If you feel like you received exceptional service a little extra at the end of the cruise is nice but not expected. [what many don't realize is that the tips are pooled. Your tips are also used to compensate those that serve you outside the MDR]

Second, there are tips added to bar drinks as well. If you purchased a drinks package, you prepaid these tips as well and you don't need to add anything more. Most often, you won't even get the opportunity as you won't even get the slip. If you aren't on a package, a tip is expected with each drink. It's been several cruises since we did not get the package, but as I recall, they actually add the gratuity in a separate line on the charge slip at a rate of 15% (the expected amount) and then there is a second line for an additional gratuity, which is not expected and that most don't add. In any event, look at the slip and it will be clear. If you aren't sure, ask.

Third, there are a few places where a tip might also be expected but to give you some additional guidance, I'll also give you my guess about what percentage of Americans would tip in this situation. For example, spa treatments (10-15% tip, 70% or more will tip), port porter ($2 a bag, but I always give 'em at least a total of $10; close to 100% tip in this situation as we're all afraid of what they'll do if we don't ;)), tour guide (a few $$ - I'm with a family of 4 and for a bus tour I'll give $20. For a private tour, I'm in the 10-20% of the bill group. On a bus tour, less than 50% tip in this situation), and room service ($1-$2, most Americans tip here. But you don't tip if it is your room steward or assistant that has brought it as you've already tipped them, though if they do this frequently, we will add to their tip at the end)

Finally, I don't mind asking when I am booking a tour, etc., whether a gratuity is included or expected and what is customary. Do I always get honest answers? Maybe not, but I've got a decent BS detector.

Let me see... $5 for a porter to move your bag from portside to a rollable cart vs. perhaps as little as $1 to a cruise guide who in most cases spends 2-5 hours with you, depending on the excursion? Am I the only one who finds this a bit disproportionate? Am I missing something here?

Do I believe this is a good system, definitely not. I believe the whole tipping thing is out of control, however that being said, it is the custom and these people count on the tips as part of their salary, and things are priced accordingly. I have children in the restaurant industry and their hourly wage is set at about $5.00 below minimum wage due to the management figuring tips into their pay. Not a good system, but the way it is, unfortunately.

If the cruise is in Europe, what is the most useful currency for the crew as tip? US$ because this is the currency used on the ship or Euros because it is what they will need for their small expenses ashore?

I don't think it matters whether you tip in USD or Euros when in Europe; I've found tipping in either currency is appreciated.

Okay, as a long time Cunard cruiser, this is how we do it. First get the "Berlitz Cruise Guide to Cruise Ships & Cruising". You'll find it in any good book store in the travel areas. I go by their tipping schedule more or less..About $5 PP/per day to your steward,Butler(if you have one),Head waiter. About $2 PP per day your asst. waiter. I'll tip the Sommelier about $20 per cruise(if we use him/her)About $20 to the Maitre D if he gets you say a table in first seating when you're booked in second seating. The porters & such in the terminal.. the tipping is totally up to you. Some are very helpful..we got through security way ahead of everyone else when disembarking one time. Boy, he really earned that tip(in Ft.Lauderdale)Other porters..well they do little, but expect a lot..Unions for you! As a last..the Auto tip you get charged, goes to many others, than just your steward/waiter. A lot goes to the people you don't see, such as the kitchen staff who prep your meals. As a whole, on a 10 day trip we end up tipping (for the both of us)as follows: $100 Waiter/Steward/Butler(if lucky to have one!)About $40 asst. waiter/$20 for Sommelier. I've found early tipping does NOT guarantee better service. If you tip, do so on the last formal night. That way you can gauge the quality of the service received. We're doing our first Celebrity trip(Eclipse Jan.25)so we'll see how well it goes.We love Cunard, but they are pretty much abandoning the Caribbean & doing more T/A's & long voyages. Owning a Catering company leaves us with limited vacation time.Usually the late fall to late winter, when it's slow.

For room sevice breakfast we tip $5.00. We tip the porters $1.00-$2.00, per bag.

At happy hour we tip $1.00, per drink.

Jack and others who attend Elite cocktails:

Do you tip as each drink is served?, at the end of evening?, at end of cruise?

We try to sit in the same area but even so may have more than one server an evening. One week had the same server each day, but then she wasn't on duty the last day we had inteneded to tip. What have you found the best way for happy hour? Thanks, Janet

Perhaps thinking about 1,500 or 2,000 passengers each giving an additional $5 to $10 to a hard working crew is another way to look at this. Tipping earlier in the cruise for exceptional service often results in some unexpected surprises.

I love that perspective! Thanks!!

.......As a whole, on a 10 day trip we end up tipping (for the both of us)as follows: $100 Waiter/Steward/Butler(if lucky to have one!)......

Is that each? If not how do you split it?

Jack and others who attend Elite cocktails:

Do you tip as each drink is served?, at the end of evening?, at end of cruise?

We try to sit in the same area but even so may have more than one server an evening. One week had the same server each day, but then she wasn't on duty the last day we had inteneded to tip. What have you found the best way for happy hour? Thanks, Janet

We tip when we're leaving the happy hour.

Edited by A Sixth?

there's no where else you 'should' be tipping at all save room service.. anywhere from US$1-5 is acceptable based on size of the order. Also the butler if applicable( whatever you feel is acceptable, which is subjective and based on how much you utilized their services)

the pre paid amount covers your dining staff( in all venues that do not incur a surcharge) and the cabin steward..

anything else that incurs a fee will have the 15% gratuity automatically added. bar tab, spa, etc.

we do a dollar per bag( oh who am I kidding it's usually a flat $5 for 3 bags) and anywhere from 20-30 for a well run tour. (for the pair of us.)

There is no question that you "should" be tipping cash as well.

By pre-paying your tips you have covered everything that is required. If you feel that any of the crew deserve extra then they will be very happy to receive whatever you want to give. For room service a couple of dollars each time. When you buy drinks, a 15% tip is automatically added. Same goes for wine with dinner. Don't feel pressured into giving more than you are comfortable with. For everyone who over tips and then brags about it (I once read a post on CC where one lady said she tipped her butler $600 for a 7 night cruise) there are those who have the tips removed in order to pay cash and then don't go to dinner on the last night. Tipping is a very emotive subject and seems to be one of the subjects that create more heated discussion on here than any other. Personally we always pre-pay. We have always just considered tips to be part and parcel of the cost of the cruise - much like travel insurance. You cruise, so you pay the tips. End of. We have had some wonderful service and happily gave extra tips. On the few occassions when either our waiter or room attendant has been less than helpful or friendly then we have not given any extra. Happily that situation has not been common.

I leave the auto tip intact and have met my obligation. Room service is included in the tipping pool and bar service adds 15% to all beverages bought through them. Only if something is over the top do I tip extra. Excellent service is expected on a cruise, it's not over the top. People are afraid to state what I just did because you need a flame retardant suit. The minority who post on these boards would have you believe tipping more and constantly to everyone who so much as says hello is normal is anything but normal. Most people don't carry purses or wallets while on board, they are tucked in the room safe.

There is no question that you "should" be tipping cash as well.

By pre-paying your tips you have covered everything that is required. If you feel that any of the crew deserve extra then they will be very happy to receive whatever you want to give. For room service a couple of dollars each time. When you buy drinks, a 15% tip is automatically added. Same goes for wine with dinner. Don't feel pressured into giving more than you are comfortable with. For everyone who over tips and then brags about it (I once read a post on CC where one lady said she tipped her butler $600 for a 7 night cruise) there are those who have the tips removed in order to pay cash and then don't go to dinner on the last night. Tipping is a very emotive subject and seems to be one of the subjects that create more heated discussion on here than any other. Personally we always pre-pay. We have always just considered tips to be part and parcel of the cost of the cruise - much like travel insurance. You cruise, so you pay the tips. End of. We have had some wonderful service and happily gave extra tips. On the few occassions when either our waiter or room attendant has been less than helpful or friendly then we have not given any extra. Happily that situation has not been common.

The thing I cringe at is when I see this on the first day. It is the gentleman who goes around giving out bills and with a slap on the back (and a voice loud enough for all to hear), and says "there is more where that came from if you take better care of me". Now that is really gauche if you ask me.