Goodbye MDR Food...A Mini Tribute To The Old Menus

thecruiserofships

I don't know how you feel or what you think about the new menus, but I am a little disappointed about seeing some of my favorites go away. I have been cruising since 2007 and have been used to seeing the same foods every cruise and now I will miss the food that is going away.

What food items will you miss the most from the old menus?

Are there any new food items that you are looking forward to trying?

The cold soups, limited desert menu is making me worry, and chicken tender appetizers.

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1391904000,-8,ca_carnival,first%20Miracle%20cruise%20

Thanks for posting these pictures. Was surprised when Bitter N Blanc was removed as I thought that was a popular dessert. As a matter of fact, a lot of my favorite desserts were removed such as the Crème Brulee and Grand Marnier Souffle. Also liked the cheese plate.

Say it isn't so!!! That Soufflé is to die for!!

Will be on the Dream in a month so I will get to try all my faves 1 last time :p Then whenever our next Carnival cruise is, I look forward to trying the new menus!

I will miss:

strawberry bisque, stuffed mushrooms (though it appears that the new menus have something comparable)

Lasagna bolognese

Bitter and blanc, raspberry-chocolate cake, creme brulee

I will miss the Pumpkin Soup and the chilled apetizer soups.

I will miss the martini braised Basa fillet. Best fish dish I've ever had.

I will really miss the bitter n Banc! Creme brûlée! grand mariner soufflé! and DH will miss the cherries jubilee.

I can deal with most of the changes, but I really hope they wise up and bring back a lot of the old dessert favorites. Not thrilled at all about the pies.u

Food quality and presentation are both better with the new menus, but the selection sucks. Overall, I hated the new MDR experience. It doesn't matter how pretty it looks or how well it's prepared if you can't find something that you really want to eat.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Edited by rockbock

Two cruises on the Dream this Jan. and Feb. to enjoy the menu before it changes. We will miss the Bitter n Banc, Creme brûlée, grand mariner soufflé, and chilled soups in addition to many other appetizer and entre selections they are getting rid of. The change in dining decor, the increase in low quality entertainment, and particularly a lack of European cruises (you really can get tired of the Caribbean after awhile) has also made us decide to consider other cruise lines. It's too bad since we always enjoyed our cruises with Carnival and are now in the position to cruise more often at any time of year.

If there weren't so many corporate decisions that have considerably lowered the quality of a Carnival cruise then we would have continued with them as our first choice. :(

Cheers!

Two cruises on the Dream this Jan. and Feb. to enjoy the menu before it changes. We will miss the Bitter n Banc, Creme brûlée, grand mariner soufflé, and chilled soups in addition to many other appetizer and entre selections they are getting rid of. The change in dining decor, the increase in low quality entertainment, and particularly a lack of European cruises (you really can get tired of the Caribbean after awhile) has also made us decide to consider other cruise lines. It's too bad since we always enjoyed our cruises with Carnival and are now in the position to cruise more often at any time of year.

If there weren't so many corporate decisions that have considerably lowered the quality of a Carnival cruise then we would have continued with them as our first choice. :(

Cheers!

I understand how you feel about the changes. I am a little upset about the removal of some items.

When will the menu changes be fleet wide? We are on the Pride 1/26, will we have the old or new menus? I understand that you may order shrimp cocktail any night, any other items off menu that we may order? Steak, chicken breast? only if we don't care for the menu of the day? Please tell me they still have CMC!!!!!!!

Is the MDR less formal now, I mean we do like to dress up a bit each night, but save the "formal wear" for elegant night. Is everyone in jeans now? With all the changes, food, and entertainment, we may want to look for another line. Now that we are free to cruise more, it seems that Carnival may be loosing the baby boomers business. We want a bit more than transportation from one port to another.:(

Can you still have MDR dinner delivered and set up in your suite/balcony? Will you have to use your sheet as a tablecloth?

When will the menu changes be fleet wide? We are on the Pride 1/26, will we have the old or new menus? I understand that you may order shrimp cocktail any night, any other items off menu that we may order? Steak, chicken breast? only if we don't care for the menu of the day? Please tell me they still have CMC!!!!!!!

Is the MDR less formal now, I mean we do like to dress up a bit each night, but save the "formal wear" for elegant night. Is everyone in jeans now? With all the changes, food, and entertainment, we may want to look for another line. Now that we are free to cruise more, it seems that Carnival may be loosing the baby boomers business. We want a bit more than transportation from one port to another.:(

Can you still have MDR dinner delivered and set up in your suite/balcony? Will you have to use your sheet as a tablecloth?

Sorry I don't have answers to most of your questions, but I can tell you that they have not yet released the fleetwide implementation schedule.

Right now the new menu is only on two ships- the Glory and the Liberty. MidFebruary it will begin on the two Fantasy class ships out of Long Beach.

Carnival hasn't served the full MDR menu for room service for at least the past 8 years.

Edited by SadieN