Bragging about being rewarded for complaining.

cls711

Reserving deck chairs is on the list of "no sail" offenses. That would be fun to watch.

Also am surprised that 1 in 20,000 passenger are banned. The article says that is a small figure, but I think that is rather large. Wouldn't that be like 1 person banned each week?

Thanks! I was dissapointed as I really wanted to give rave reviews to Shilas, Oom and Nicolina in Blu. They were EXCELLENT!!! I would have also added Vicent (bartender in Ensemble lounge) to the list. He was one of the best (if not the best) bartender I've had on my many cruises.

We love Nicolina! She's taken care of our alcohol needs many times! :D

There are some things that justify complaining although you must still use some tact. The shower fell from the wall and there were molded tiles in the bathroom. My room was filthy. Not to mention, my allergies turned into a huge mess and I ate the same meals for 7 full days at Bistro on Five. I tried to keep a positive attitude about it for the most part, but after a while, it simply became laughable.

With all due respect, anyone with that many allergies should stay at home where your diet can be regulated better. The cruise line is not at fault for your decisions.

Wonder what has happened to society that they feel so entitled to things that they would threaten companies in order to get what "they" want, when there is nothing wrong. Pretty sad!

Just think about how our country is being run right now and ask yourself that question again. It will become crystal clear......

I have been in the travel industry for a long time.....worked for a large hotel during college....was a flight attendant for 5 years after college and for the past almost 20 years my husband and I have been innkeepers. We NEVER complain and as a matter of fact try to do just the opposite. We have a family motto when traveling.....we actually start our day off reminding ourselves to "be a blessing" where ever we go and with whom ever we encounter. We try to be friendly and smile no matter what and are just grateful to even be on vacation!

My twins are 20 now and still take this attitude when traveling!!! The neat thing is, I can tell of many times when we have been upgraded or given free drinks, etc just because we are being nice! I wish more people would remember that you can get just as many perks by being nice as by being a complainer!!

My husband and I have had this same discussion....we own a small 20 room inn and have found people who seem to complain just to see if we will give them some of their money back!! We recently had a guest that started threatening to give us bad reviews on all the popular review sites if we didn't give him a refund! There was NOTHING wrong with his room and he didn't have a complaint.....just wanted money back or he would give us bad reviews!! We have owned our inn for 19 years and have just started seeing this trend in the past few years.

You should look into reputation.com. They're a great service.

SDT

I have been in the travel industry for a long time.....worked for a large hotel during college....was a flight attendant for 5 years after college and for the past almost 20 years my husband and I have been innkeepers. We NEVER complain and as a matter of fact try to do just the opposite. We have a family motto when traveling.....we actually start our day off reminding ourselves to "be a blessing" where ever we go and with whom ever we encounter. We try to be friendly and smile no matter what and are just grateful to even be on vacation!

My twins are 20 now and still take this attitude when traveling!!! The neat thing is, I can tell of many times when we have been upgraded or given free drinks, etc just because we are being nice! I wish more people would remember that you can get just as many perks by being nice as by being a complainer!!

This is the absolute truth. There's nothing I dislike more than complaining for profit.

Thanks, Linda. You always have the right answers. You should get your cruises for free for all the good information you supply.:D

Happy new year.

Happy New Year to you as well!

I learned all this information by reading the boards and paying attention when I cruise. Since others shared their wisdom with me, I like being able to pay it back.

I have had feedback from crew members that they got promoted because of positive comments on Attention to Detail cards, so I always stock up on a bunch at the beginning of the cruise and then use them as appropriate. Many people only communicate with the ship when they have a complaint. I think it's nice to share the good news with them as well. Most of the crew members work their butts off to see that you have a wonderful cruise. It's nice to be able to give them some recognition.

With all due respect, anyone with that many allergies should stay at home where your diet can be regulated better. The cruise line is not at fault for your decisions.

I have typical allergies that are well managed, including shellfish, hazelnut and seasonal allergies, such as grass. I would have never known that the soap in the room was lemongrass nor would I have known that their chicken is cooked in seafood stock. IMO, that seems fairly uncommon.

I have sailed with RC before. I think Summit was a very isolated case and really could not accomodate, even though the they repeatedly stated they could. Their communication regarding food allergies needs to be better prior to booking a cruise. And yes, I did have concerns from the beginning as anyone would. Perhaps for me, it wasn't a good match.

Edited by Single_dreamer

Why didn't you eat some place other than Bistro on Five?

I wanted to try Qsine. I spoke with the Maitre'D and he could not accomodate a solo. He told me that the menu they prepared would be too much for one person and the chef would most likely not accomodate my allergies because of cross-food preparation.

I also enjoyed the Aft grill at lunch time and the pool grill. The burgers were great!

Edited by Single_dreamer

I have dietary restrictions. Celebrity has always been very attentive to my needs. I have never had a problem. It is one of the reasons that I sail on Celebrity. I do understand that nothing is perfect. Mistakes can happen. Hope for the best. Relax and enjoy.

I wanted to try Qsine. I spoke with the Maitre'D and he could not accomodate a solo. He told me that the menu they prepared would be too much for one person and the chef would most likely not accomodate my allergies because of cross-food preparation.

I also enjoyed the Aft grill at lunch time and the pool grill. The burgers were great!

Did you think to speak with dining management when you first boarded and alert them to your allergies. It seems, by the many posts on here, that they are very, very accommodating? You might want to try this on whatever cruise line you choose.

I do make a point of commending deserving employees to their boss and have even written favorable letters to the Hotel Director. This past year I cruised with an employee I had commended four years ago - after all that time they remembered me and expressed their appreciation.

At least I find that people on cruise ships are willing to accept compliments. A few years ago I had a 30 inch snow storm. Living at the end of a dead end, off of another dead end, I am among the last to be plowed out. The weather had changed to sunny so I cleared my drive, despite still having 30 inches on the county road. Out of habit I looked in my mailbox, and surprisingly I had gotten a mail delivery:).

I called my PO: "I'm amazed that I had a mail delivery with 30 inches of snow still on my road."

PO: "Sir, there is an awful lot of snow out there and we are doing the best that we can."

Me: "No, I'm amazed that I got mail under these conditions."

PO: "Sorry sir, but we can't get to everyone."

Me: "Okay, BYE"

Actually I have always had good service from the PO, except for getting them to accept a compliment.

Yes. I did. On the first night, I spoke with the dinig room manager and we reviewed my allergies. I received menus in advance and could pre order each night. The mdr menu was the same selection, then they had a varying menu each night.

Each of the two nights I ate at mdr, the mgr would consult with the chef or pastry chef about items I ordered.

Some selections were very good. The spinach ravioli and the beef tornadoe (spelling) were the two best meals of the cruise!

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Forums mobile app

Yes. I did. On the first night, I spoke with the dinig room manager and we reviewed my allergies. I received menus in advance and could pre order each night. The mdr menu was the same selection, then they had a varying menu each night.

Each of the two nights I ate at mdr, the mgr would consult with the chef or pastry chef about items I ordered.

Some selections were very good. The spinach ravioli and the beef tornadoe (spelling) were the two best meals of the cruise!

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Forums mobile app

I'm so happy to hear that you could eat in other places and that management was so accommodating; I felt so sorry thinking that you could only go to one dining place for your meals.

Hopefully, your next cruise will be a better experience.

Edited by NLH Arizona

There are some things that justify complaining although you must still use some tact. The shower fell from the wall and there were molded tiles in the bathroom. My room was filthy. Not to mention, my allergies turned into a huge mess and I ate the same meals for 7 full days at Bistro on Five. I tried to keep a positive attitude about it for the most part, but after a while, it simply became laughable.

There's a world of difference between your two posts, and I'm happy for you to see that things weren't quite as bleak as your first post made them out to be.

I have extremely sensitive skin. I know that the soaps and shampoos provided by cruise ships and hotels, no matter how "ritzy" they may be, has the potential to make me very uncomfortable.

I always bring my own shampoo, shower soap and lotion. It doesn't take up much room and I'm assured that it won't bother me.

One more on food needs.

My DH is an insulin dependent diabetic. He has an insulin pump so he has to calculate the number of carbohydrates he is going to eat so the pump can calculate the proper dosage.

Last week our copy of "Diabetes Management" came in the mail and one woman, in a letter to the editor, complained that the cruise ship she was on would not supply her with the carbohydrate count in her meal.

Those who need to count carbohydrates know what they are eating and have been trained to eyeball the food, acknowledge that there will be starch in sauces and sugar in oriental dishes. It's definitely not up to the cruise line to make up for that woman's lack of education.

Now I feel better. :D

I learned all this information by reading the boards and paying attention when I cruise. Since others shared their wisdom with me, I like being able to pay it back.

I have had feedback from crew members that they got promoted because of positive comments on Attention to Detail cards, so I always stock up on a bunch at the beginning of the cruise and then use them as appropriate. Many people only communicate with the ship when they have a complaint. I think it's nice to share the good news with them as well. Most of the crew members work their butts off to see that you have a wonderful cruise. It's nice to be able to give them some recognition.

I was not aware of the "attention to detail" cards on Celebrity. I knew of the WOW cards on Royal.

I always make it a point to write to corporate and commend the crew members who have been wonderful to us by name even after I've done so on the ship.

They do work their butts off for us. We always bring a bunch of $20 bills with us and some envelopes so that we can reward exemplary service with something above the standard gratuity. We also bring some smaller bills to tip the wait staff at the Elite event.

I agree with this approach and find it personally rewarding.

As has been stated earlier, when a person goes that extra mile for you and (s)he does it as a professional not expecting a tip or any other reward, it's not a big effort to not only graciously acknowledge the effort but also to communicate one's satisfaction with management.

One unusual example for me was when I was working with a client to help him resolve some credit problems. He was in a hole with American Express, among others. I contacted an Amex collector to discuss options and, as luck would have it, I reached a woman who was quite effective. We talked through the options and it was clear that she initially viewed debtors as real people who had problems and wanted to clear up his/her financial situation, not as the scum of the earth who were trying to stiff Amex.

The matter was resolved quite smoothly and I wrapped it up with a letter to her thanking her for being so empathetic. About two weeks later she called me unexpectedly to tell me how much she appreciated my letter and that, because of it, she was promoted.

I think there is quite a differece between bragging about being rewarded for complaining and merely stating the facts. I read a few reviews where folks talked about the compensation they received for incidents which they brought to management''s attention. I did not percieve all the posts which did so as "bragging." I find that it is often difficult to ascertain the poster's intent from simple words on the page. I prefer to give folks the benefit of the doubt...unless the post leaves no doubt about their intention.

While I have yet to have a complaint about a cruise, I have posted quite a few criticisms about restaurants and hotels which I believed were not up to snuff. My posts were very specific; and generally, did include items which I felt were top notch about the establishment too. I have not yet been to a place where I felt everything was horrible. I think one of the most influencial means to make companies aware of their shortcomings is to let them know the specifics. For example, I went to a hotel where the business centerir did not have paper to print off a boarding pass. I told the front desk each day for 3 days. On the fourth day, my final day, I went and brought a ream of paper, left it in the business center and wrote up the incident on trip advisor explaining how I thought there were several service shortfalls for a 5 star hotel. I did get an apology from management, an offer for a free stay and a promise that training of personnel would include handing items that are not necessary in their job description. Now, I did not "complain" to be mean spirited or to obtain something additional, but rather to warn future travelers and to let the company know of shortfalls.

While there will always be people who want something for nothing, most, I believe, try to improve a product/servce. Okay, so I am naive. I perfer to live that way :)

Attention to detail cards I have always found to be a great way to feedback on employees that go above and beyond. I use them sparingly, but experience on both Celebrity and Azamara has been that the staff member finds out very quickly when you do one part way through a cruise.

Phil

They do find out right away. I happened to be eating breakfast in Blu when the F&B manager came up to congratulate the waiter and assistant that I had mentioned. He also informed the maitre d'.

Has anybody ever had Ina in Blu? It was simply not possible to have a bad day after her smiling coffee service in the morning! She was such a treat.