Hal no longer sends invitations for cruise critic meetings..........

50cruiser

I wonder how it works with the HAL facebook page roll calls - I understand HAL organises a M&G for embarkation day, but no idea what they provide.

On our last cruise HAL had a Facebook M&G listed for 1pm on embarkation day in the Computer class room. There was nothing in the room except for the computers and the tech guy who was surprised that 1 person showed up and why. HAL never coordinated this with him nor anyone else on the ship, apparently.

The very first ne that I did go and check on for one of our cruises was Alaska this past May. Suppopsed to be in the Crows Nest the first Sea Day at 10am. There were 2 people there along with coffee, tea, water and cookies.

On both of those dates listed above, there were no HAL staff, Crew or representatives, just the 1 couple and myself.

Joanie

As adults I just don't see the need for personal invitations. From the roll call everyone should know the time and place. If one wants to go they usually attend just like any other appointment or event.

Yes, we have done invitations in past and seen some really cool creative ones and agree it's a nice touch but necessary? I'm no longer convinced. What do you think?

Edited by aliaschief

^^ #1 above is one of the reasons I do not participate in Roll Calls. The organizer protects their privacy by setting up separate e-mail accounts (which is just fine) but we are expected to provide the organizer with our full names and cabin numbers. That doesn't work for all of us. :)

Though that is not the only reason for some of us not participating.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you there Sail. I organized that M&G and felt strange asking, but it wasn't mandatory to provide.

I sometimes participate in roll calls, but we haven't gone to a M&G in quite a while. We simply just do not like being forced to be social with others (if it just happens that is fine, but the setting of the M&G forces it). I would never give my name and stateroom number out to anyone.

Sent from my iPad

I have organized 7 M&Gs - 6 of them on HAL and one on NCL. All were on RSVP charters where my contact person was from RSVP who coordinated with the cruise line.

Now RSVP charters have a lot more activities than a regular cruise so I make a point of delivering reminders since people often forget about it (and some still do!). I have always hand delivered it and never expected the cruise line to do it.

The reason I ask for names and cabin numbers beforehand is to be able to print name tags and to have cabin numbers in case of a late change of venue.

M&Gs have ranged from small gatherings in a bar with no HAL involvement to having cocktails and snacks in the Crows Nest. It depends on management.

On NCL they had an impressive list of staff attending the M&G and they requested a second gathering at the end of the cruise to get feedback on how the cruise went. I was able to provide a list of names and cabin numbers and they sent out invites for that.

Our February charter is on MSC and I have no idea how a M&G would be.

I've met some wonderful people thru cc and roll calls, which includes meet and greets. Many more then I meet "normally".

Same here. Though I avoid the ones where they get "too" organised, and the organiser insists on having cabin numbers. (No way!) Or there is a gift exchange or cabin crawl. But the ones I have gone to (and there have even been some cruises where there was no M&G but a few of us agreed to meet at a certain date and time) - I have met great people and established long friendships.

Almost forgot - on our last cruise we did hear about - and saw - a facebook page roll call gathering in the Captain's Corner on the afternoon of the first sea day (I always understood it was embarkation day only). There was no roll call on here or M&G organised for that one.

Edited by startwin

As adults I just don't see the need for personal invitations. From the roll call everyone should know the time and place. If one wants to go they usually attend just like any other appointment or event.

Yes, we have done invitations in past and seen some really cool creative ones and agree it's a nice touch but necessary? I'm no longer convinced. What do you think?

Since you ask - I entirely agree! To date, the ones we have attended have not involved invitations, we just all knew through the roll call where and when. However, I understand that some like to do invitations, but they won't get my cabin number.:D

Same here. Though I avoid the ones where they get "too" organised, and the organiser insists on having cabin numbers. (No way!) Or there is a gift exchange or cabin crawl. But the ones I have gone to (and there have even been some cruises where there was no M&G but a few of us agreed to meet at a certain date and time) - I have met great people and established long friendships.

Almost forgot - on our last cruise we did hear about - and saw - a facebook page roll call gathering in the Captain's Corner on the afternoon of the first sea day (I always understood it was embarkation day only). There was no roll call on here or M&G organised for that one.

I know people hate cabin crawls but one of my best cruises was a Panama Canal cruise in April 2011. We had a wine crawl and saw inside cabins right up to the PH. I thought at that time I would never be in the PH myself so it was great. It was a lot of fun. We had a lot of get togethers on that cruise. It was awesome.

Edited by cruz chic

Since you ask - I entirely agree! To date, the ones we have attended have not involved invitations, we just all knew through the roll call where and when. However, I understand that some like to do invitations, but they won't get my cabin number.:D

I have only once given my cabin number to the M&G organiser and that was because I knew her personally. I am quite content to get the meeting information off the roll call, although I must admit the one time I did give out the information, we received lovely invitations.

I have only once given my cabin number to the M&G organiser and that was because I knew her personally. I am quite content to get the meeting information off the roll call, although I must admit the one time I did give out the information, we received lovely invitations.

Are you sure you can trust her ;):D;).

Taking the responsibility for the M&G entails a lot of work. "Hosting" makes it sound like a party. After organizing 4 on HAL ships, I can testify that no matter what the leader does, there will be someone who complains about something or who thinks he/she could have done it better. There may be a reward in Heaven, but there isn't on board. Only once has anyone said "thank you" for accepting the job.

As for invitations, I have had Beverage Managers who not only volunteered to deliver invitations but also wrote them and sent them to me to proofread and edit. On other cruises, I have printed the invitations ahead of time and used pre-printed labels on HAL-supplied envelopes; the Front Desk personnel have had them delivered. On other occasions, I have delivered them myself in the middle of the night.

The person organizing the M&G probably couldn't care less where your cabin is. It's not as if they are going to break in and rob you. Sharing full names and cabin numbers simply makes it easier to send reminders. In 2010, I set up a special e-mail account just to keep the cruise messages separate from the everyday junk; I didn't want to lose them. Now, I use my regular email address. If people don't want to share basic, innocuous information, that's their business, but there will be no reminders and no name badges for them. Or prizes if I can work those out.

I've organized lots of M/G's and I haven't found it to be all that much work, but everyone has his/her own opinion as to how much "too much work" is. If the roll call is large the biggest help to me is someone who volunteers to double-check me on how many are participating in the roll call and to collect their screen names so I know how many to tell HAL to plan for and don't count some people twice. If people want to give me a cabin # that's great; it means that if we have to change the meet/greet I can easily get in touch with you (yes, it's happened!) and sometimes I'll be asked for the list of cabin numbers because the ship will invite those cabins to some semi-private thing. But those who don't want to share cabin numbers, no biggie. I do get phone calls from people who need to meet up with somebody on the roll call, usually about a private shore excursion, but even then I won't give out a cabin number; I'll call the desired person and let him/her decide how to contact the inquirer. The only person who ever gets a cabin number list from me is the ship, if they want to invite all of us to something.

I do print up reminder slips before I leave home and walk the ship, sticking them in cabin mail; it's a template on my computer and I just change the date and time particulars. I enjoy the walk and I usually meet cabin stewards I've known on other cruises along the halls; we visit a little, and it's fun. As long as the time/date are publicized on the roll call it's not necessary though; everyone should just join in to the extent they feel comfortable and that it's useful to them. Mostly people are very nice about whatever the organizer is able to do; occasionally somebody will tell you they would do it differently, and for sure when that person runs one it can be done as he/she sees fit.

I did hear at one time that HAL would print reminders and deliver for $20 but I never took them up on it; not necessary, I'd say. Recently there's always been a confirmation from the Beverage Manager or the Entertainment Manager in our cabin mail when we arrive; I've not had to track it down, although I always have the letter from Seattle on my laptop should I need it. I do take cheap name tags and some pens; that works out ok too. I don't mind that small expense. I've met some great people doing it!

I've organized lots of M/G's and I haven't found it to be all that much work, but everyone has his/her own opinion as to how much "too much work" is. If the roll call is large the biggest help to me is someone who volunteers to double-check me on how many are participating in the roll call and to collect their screen names so I know how many to tell HAL to plan for and don't count some people twice. If people want to give me a cabin # that's great; it means that if we have to change the meet/greet I can easily get in touch with you (yes, it's happened!) and sometimes I'll be asked for the list of cabin numbers because the ship will invite those cabins to some semi-private thing. But those who don't want to share cabin numbers, no biggie. I do get phone calls from people who need to meet up with somebody on the roll call, usually about a private shore excursion, but even then I won't give out a cabin number; I'll call the desired person and let him/her decide how to contact the inquirer. The only person who ever gets a cabin number list from me is the ship, if they want to invite all of us to something.

I do print up reminder slips before I leave home and walk the ship, sticking them in cabin mail; it's a template on my computer and I just change the date and time particulars. I enjoy the walk and I usually meet cabin stewards I've known on other cruises along the halls; we visit a little, and it's fun. As long as the time/date are publicized on the roll call it's not necessary though; everyone should just join in to the extent they feel comfortable and that it's useful to them. Mostly people are very nice about whatever the organizer is able to do; occasionally somebody will tell you they would do it differently, and for sure when that person runs one it can be done as he/she sees fit.

I did hear at one time that HAL would print reminders and deliver for $20 but I never took them up on it; not necessary, I'd say. Recently there's always been a confirmation from the Beverage Manager or the Entertainment Manager in our cabin mail when we arrive; I've not had to track it down, although I always have the letter from Seattle on my laptop should I need it. I do take cheap name tags and some pens; that works out ok too. I don't mind that small expense. I've met some great people doing it!

I like your attitude:). I'll bet your M&Gs have been very successful. We had one last year that over 100 people attended (no cabin numbers - and everyone turned up.;)) thanks to a great roll call, and several people sharing the load, as you noted in your first paragraph.

I know people hate cabin crawls but one of my best cruises was a Panama Canal cruise in April 2011. We had a wine crawl and saw inside cabins right up to the PH. I thought at that time I would never be in the PH myself so it was great. It was a lot of fun. We had a lot of get togethers on that cruise. It was awesome.

Yes, we were there with you and was and still has been the best Meet and Greet/Roll Call groups we have been involved with. Getting to see the Penthouse during the many activities was one of the benefits.

We organized one M&G this last year and we always keep e-mail addresses and cabin numbers secure and never passed them on to anyone. I am in the financial industry and am very aware of privacy concerns in todays climate. We never expected HAL to do any invitations or delivery of them. We enjoyed delivering a simple one page invitation to everyone's cabin. We met a number of CC members while delivering them.

Are you sure you can trust her ;):D;).

Most likely-----and I might even give you my cabin number if you asked nicely. :D

There are a number of CC members who I have interacted with over the years who, while I have never met them, I would not hesitate to give information to.

I think those who just follow along and give full names and cabin numbers to strangers, however nice they are, have never experienced an online stalker. Having that experience makes you very cautious. It's sad, I know, but necessary.

Edited by sapper1

Since I have been referenced several times by a few people, I guess I will make a comment :D

I have done a number of meet and greets. While invitations are not necessarily required, people get busy and can forget. I do them up as reminders - especially on the longer cruises where there can be 3 meet and greets :D

I have had offers to have them delivered and have always declined (as 0bnxshs said). I feel the staff are too busy and I am happy to deliver them. It doesn't take that long and I can use the exercise:) Several of my roll call on my last cruise helped me on their floors which was really kind:)

If I hadn't delivered them, I would never have met Topsham :)

I do ask people to share their last names and room numbers for the delivery of them. If they prefer not to, they just don't get an invitation. But, things can happen - things can change so it's good to be able to contact them.

Example - 1st Prinsendam cruise - someone else was doing the M & G but I had a lot of private tours. They didn't ask for room numbers or last names. The Prinsendam had to change it's itinerary due to storms and our meet and greet time and place was no longer good. the organizer had no way of reaching our roll call of 100 people. He called me as he knew I had room numbers for those going on my tours. Of the 100 I probably had 90 of them on my lists. Since the info was confidential, I couldn't give it to him so I called everyone on my lists and advised them of the new date, time and place and asked them if they knew the missing 10 and could advise them. Everyone came to the meet and greet!

Lesson learned. :D

Since I have been referenced several times by a few people, I guess I will make a comment :D

I have done a number of meet and greets. While invitations are not necessarily required, people get busy and can forget. I do them up as reminders - especially on the longer cruises where there can be 3 meet and greets :D

I have had offers to have them delivered and have always declined (as 0bnxshs said). I feel the staff are too busy and I am happy to deliver them. It doesn't take that long and I can use the exercise:) Several of my roll call on my last cruise helped me on their floors which was really kind:)

If I hadn't delivered them, I would never have met Topsham :)

I do ask people to share their last names and room numbers for the delivery of them. If they prefer not to, they just don't get an invitation. But, things can happen - things can change so it's good to be able to contact them.

Example - 1st Prinsendam cruise - someone else was doing the M & G but I had a lot of private tours. They didn't ask for room numbers or last names. The Prinsendam had to change it's itinerary due to storms and our meet and greet time and place was no longer good. the organizer had no way of reaching our roll call of 100 people. He called me as he knew I had room numbers for those going on my tours. Of the 100 I probably had 90 of them on my lists. Since the info was confidential, I couldn't give it to him so I called everyone on my lists and advised them of the new date, time and place and asked them if they knew the missing 10 and could advise them. Everyone came to the meet and greet!

Lesson learned. :D

I had never thought of the scenario you explained. It does make it a tough question.

I have only 1st names and room no. Last name not needed... I did that for security... I volunteered to be host in the last 45 days before cruise as people wanted a CC meeting but no one wanted to do the work of setting it up... HAL did set up a facebook page but kept putting wrong times for meeting and they are the ones that gave me a choice.. I took 1st sea day 11 am.. The facebook page keeps saying 1:00 on embarkation .. I keep telling people on Facebook the correct time... Ive let everyone know 8 times on CC m&g the correct time and location.. It will be 3 days from boarding and I just wanted to remind everyone and in case something happened I could let them know... As today we have 48 people wanting to come to meeting... You would think with that many passengers attending a meeting HAL would help ... Iv attended singles meetings on HAL ships that only 3 to 5 people attending and HAL made a big promotion on it..... We sail in 2 days so ill do the best I can to make it suscessful... CARL

I think it a little bit of a compromise to only have first names and cabin number. That's a good idea IMO

For the organizers who set up separate e-mail accounts just for the Roll Call, do the members of the Roll Call know your last name and cabin number?

Edited by sail7seas

I think it a little bit of a compromise to only have first names and cabin number. That's a good idea IMO

For the organizers who set up separate e-mail accounts just for the Roll Call, do the members of the Roll Call know your last name and cabin number?

Sail, I don't set up a separate email account - but yes the roll call members know my last name and cabin number. Same with my private tours.

The only problem with the first name and cabin number is that cabin numbers can change at the last minute. Happened to me on the Nieuw Amsterdam. One roll call member had his cabin changed at the last minute and unfortunately, whoever had his cabin did not turn the invitation in - so I was unaware that he hadn't received it.

It is a good compromise though if people are uncomfortable. On most roll calls that I have been on, we had a lot of activity and you certainly got a 'feel' for the people. I think that helps with the level of comfort :D

(and there have even been some cruises where there was no M&G but a few of us agreed to meet at a certain date and time)

Sounds like it was precisely what a M&G is supposed to be. Those type of M&G are the best, as people can chat with each other, and not have the distraction of ship personnel to contend with.

It appears that there is an unofficial policy from ship to ship, from one hotel director to another. We organized the M&G on the Noordam TA two years ago, and HAL was wonderful. They delivered the invites and provided champagne, mimosas, and hot canapes. But one thing to keep in mind, many people, for whatever reason, do not want to reveal their cabin location. It made it impossible for us to deliver all the invitations ourselves.

On the last TA in November, the organizers wisely told the roll call that it was the members' responsibility to remember the date and time. A whole lot easier than printing out and addressing invitations! I don't understand why HAL should be responsible for printing and delivering invitations to a private gathering. If one is interested in connecting with other cruisers prior to boarding, it behooves them to join a roll call.

The only issue would be if there was a cabin change (e.g. a guarantee assignment).

I have no issue with people having my information; I do use a secondary email account (the one listed here on CC) and not my main email account.

Edited by Boytjie

I like your attitude:). I'll bet your M&Gs have been very successful. We had one last year that over 100 people attended (no cabin numbers - and everyone turned up.;)) thanks to a great roll call, and several people sharing the load, as you noted in your first paragraph.

We have four people doing the job. One is the HAL contact person, one does the roll call, one is in charge of the Nametags and one is putting together a photo book. Out of 89 people only one couple didn't want to participate. Since we are on a long cruise, there is slightly more work, but dividing the tasks has made it easier to do.