In search of a hotel to give a Perfect Venice Experience

mickeysgal

Well, I'm sure I'm obsessing over hotels maybe a bit too much, but it is our first time to Venice - a life long dream - and our 30th anniversary. I hear that the charm of Venice is to get lost wandering about; well, I'm doing that already with trip advisor and reading these boards searching for that "perfect" Venice experience hotel without going totally broke. Of course I currently want a hotel on the Grand Canal but cost-wise may have to give that up. Another canal is fine as long as it gives me that postcard experience out my room's window and puts me in the middle of it all (where ever that is as I'm still pouring over maps). I want to sit on a terrace overlooking a canal with my coffee - hotel terrace is fine as I've come to realize that getting a room with a private terrace would require far more dollars than I have. We are in the ballpark of $350-400/night - late Aug - 3 nights prior to our cruise. Can you help steer me to that hotel that will give me that Venice postcard experience? As fun as it is researching, it's time to reach out for help from all of you. For example, is Hotel Canal Grand or Hotel Moresco in a good location? I'm trying to maximize our location for the little bit of time we're there. Help! Hotel or area suggestions are all appreciated. Thanks to you all.

Check out Locanda Orseolo. It's not on the Grand Canal but is on a side canal, very close to St Mark's Square and also the Grand Canal. This is a small, boutique hotel, really feels like you are staying in a friend's home. Service is excellent, a great breakfast in included. We had one of the rooms looking out on the canal and it was magical to watch the gondolas gliding by and the people sauntering about. No terrace but there is a living room where you can get a drink. If you take a private water taxi, you enter the hotel through a door direct from the canal, very cool. We loved it, made us feel as if we were truly in the heart of Venice.

Well, I'm sure I'm obsessing over hotels maybe a bit too much, but it is our first time to Venice - a life long dream - and our 30th anniversary. I hear that the charm of Venice is to get lost wandering about; well, I'm doing that already with trip advisor and reading these boards searching for that "perfect" Venice experience hotel without going totally broke. Of course I currently want a hotel on the Grand Canal but cost-wise may have to give that up. Another canal is fine as long as it gives me that postcard experience out my room's window and puts me in the middle of it all (where ever that is as I'm still pouring over maps). I want to sit on a terrace overlooking a canal with my coffee - hotel terrace is fine as I've come to realize that getting a room with a private terrace would require far more dollars than I have. We are in the ballpark of $350-400/night - late Aug - 3 nights prior to our cruise. Can you help steer me to that hotel that will give me that Venice postcard experience? As fun as it is researching, it's time to reach out for help from all of you. For example, is Hotel Canal Grand or Hotel Moresco in a good location? I'm trying to maximize our location for the little bit of time we're there. Help! Hotel or area suggestions are all appreciated. Thanks to you all.

Check out the Westiin Europa, take a room with a Canal view - you can also dine by the Canal and watch the traffic while taking in the views.

Check out the Westiin Europa, take a room with a Canal view - you can also dine by the Canal and watch the traffic while taking in the views.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Stayed there for 3 nights on my 25th anniversary vacation through Europe. It's right at the entrance to the Grand Canal off the Guidecca. So, you have wonderful views looking across and out the Lagoon.

Don't worry about obsessing--the first time I went to Paris with DH, I spent more time researching hotels than time actually spent IN Paris. It was worth it though, we found a perfect Parisian hotel that we have since been back to many times. Luckily there are a lot fewer choices in Venice, shouldn't take you that much time!

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at L'ocanda Orseolo in 2006 and I have been dreaming of returning there again. We also had a room looking out on the canal and it is right around the corner from a gondola station so we could hear them singing as they glided by. We were enchanted! Fabulous breakfasts! Our room was painted with scenes from an Italian opera! A bit hard to find off St. Mark's Square but we took a water taxi from the cruise terminal to St. Mark's and then hired a porter to take us and our luggage to the hotel. There was water in the square so very glad we did that - the porter knew back lanes to get there and keep us all dry. Much smaller than a Westin, so an be hard to get reservations. We booked a year out! Definitely worth a try though . . .

We were going to take a water taxi directly to the L'Ocanda Orseolo, but the tides weren't right. We were able though to take one to the airport when we left. They opened the little door right on the canal and loaded our luggage into a speed boat! Timing was close as the tides were starting to rise and we almost didn't make it under one low bridge before he got out into the Grand Canal. Quite an adventure:).

OP, I just did a quick fake booking for Aug 4th, and here are the results

Canal Grande Hotel $419 Canal View

Locando Orseolo $325 Canal View

Hotel Santa Chiara $283 Canal View

Hotel Moresco $260 Canal View

Hotel Carleton on the Grand $250 Canal View

I didn't see any that stated an actual terrace. As you originally stated, you realize the cost of an acutal terrace, thought a Canal View with huge windows might be next best thing. Just depends on your feeling about the different hotels. Take a lookat their websites and Tripadvisor.com and see what appeals to you for the money.

Have fun planning, then actually staying in Venice. :)

Not on the Grand Canal, but the Guidecca canal, is Pensione La Calcina. It's a charming hotel, fabulous views of the canal, and they have a restaurant both inside and on the terrace that sits on top of the water. It's located just down a few buildings from the Zattere vaporetto stop. No bridges to cross. No elevator but the staff will take your luggage up for you.

What I like about the hotel is the location. It's in Dorsoduro, which is a lot more quiet than the San Marco/Rialto areas.

Monica

Just booked Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth and it has reasonable rates considering the location. We have a twin room and it looks out over the back, but they do have rooms at the front with views over the lagoon. They also have a roof terrace and a garden. It a fairly close to the Doges Palace and San Marco.

TA has contacted us about our hotel for October 2 & 3. She has Hotel Alberto San Marco on hold for us. Some of the reviews on Trip Advisor are not favorable. Has anyone stayed here? If so, comments please. We are in our 60s and DH has mobility issues which is why she is trying to get us close to the action.

Thanks!!

Two years ago we spent 3 nights in the Locanda Montin, a restaurant that has a several-room hotel above it. Be sure to ask for the room with balcony overlooking the canal. (It is a small canal, but very pretty). We loved this location because 1) It is in Dorsoduro, much less crowded than most districts 2) At the vaporetta stop (Ca' Rezzonica) there were never more than 3 or 4 folks in line 3) restaurants in Dorsoduro are less expensive that other districts and 4) the Accademia art museum is only a block away where there is a bridge crossing into the San Marco district. I can't recall the exact cost but it was less than $200 dollars which included breakfast. Oh yes, our room was spacious and airy.

We loved http://www.hotelbecher.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187870-d625334-Reviews-Hotel_Becher-Venice_Veneto.html

It was a water taxi entrance!

There's a little patio at the water entrance with a bench, 2 tables and 4 chairs. We spent some time there in the evening just relaxing with a drink and watching the gondolas go by.

Nice (included) breakfast too!

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked into the Hotel Arlecchino for 5 nights before a Gate1 12 night tour of Croatia and Slovenia. It looks good and has good reviews from Tripadvisor. Price seems reasonable. Will know more after March 17th. Good Luck and enjoy wherever you land!