Best Beaches in So Caribbean

peg3632

Next month I am going on the Jewel for the So Caribbean trip. I'm looking for advice on the best beaches to enjoy. I will be touring:

San Juan, Puerto Rico; Tortola, St. Maarten; St. Kitts; Dominica; Barbados. I would like to be able to go somewhere I can rent a chair, umbrella and enjoy going into the water. Would a formal excursion with Jewel be best or private excursion. Maybe it's better to just take a taxi somewhere. I really am interested in your opinion. Thanks, Cruise Critic members.

I agree that the Boatyard beach in Barbados is a great choice. Is one of my favorites of all time IMHO.

Also I always prefer to do excursions on my own. You can do much better if you do your homework on who to do your tours with privately. Usually you can get a more personal and a whole lot less people than if you use the cruise lines.

Edited by Engine643

Boatyard in Barbados is nice but my favorite beach is Orient Beach in St. Maarten. Very easy to grab a taxi, if full taxi the price is $6 per person each way. Lots of places to rent chairs and umbrellas.

Sherri:)

Another vote here for Boatyard Beach in Barbados. Short bus ride to the beach, and the small admission fee per person includes chair, umbrella, beverage, AND the shuttle back to the ship.

In St. Maarten, you can walk to the beach that's right in front of the shopping district on Front Street. There are bars/restaurants, some annoying vendors on the beach, but it's easy to access from the ship. Or you can take a taxi to Orient Beach (about 20 minutes away,) or taxi to Maho Beach and watch the airplanes landing. That's about a 15 minute taxi from the ship.

For the other ports, check out the Caribbean Ports board here on CC. Have a great cruise!

I agree with the above posters....Barbados has beautiful beaches....we usually walk from the ship (20-30 minute leisurely stroll). We grab a taxi back.

St Marten is Orient beach. Just get a taxi...another beautiful beach.

Dominica doesn't have much in the line of beaches. We will be there later this month and no plans yet. The island is beautiful and you could take a tour to see some of their magnificent waterfalls. Check them put under the ports of call section here on CC.

St Kitts has some beautiful beaches. We have only been there once. Check them out under ports of call for recommendations.

Boatyard in Barbados is nice but my favorite beach is Orient Beach in St. Maarten. Very easy to grab a taxi, if full taxi the price is $6 per person each way. Lots of places to rent chairs and umbrellas.

One of my favorites as well, but I'll do some research on Boat Yard in coming months. This time it looks like their will be a 747 landing the day we are in SXM, so I will be at Maho with my camera and a GOPRO on my head.

One of my favorites as well, but I'll do some research on Boat Yard in coming months. This time it looks like their will be a 747 landing the day we are in SXM, so I will be at Maho with my camera and a GOPRO on my head.

My sons enjoy Maho, it's fun for the planes but not a great beach. The last time we were there trash from Sunset Bar was piled up and the beach was really stinky.

Last year we took an inexpensive organized tour through the ship in a open air truck-like vehicle, seeing some beautiful sites and ended up at the beach. The beach was next to The Boatyard. It included chairs, drinks, umbrella. It was perfect!

Get a guidebook and read up on the beaches in your ports. Generally, there is no need for an excursion to a beach. The guidebook will also detail available transportation...buses, cabs, etc.....

Almost all public beaches will have chair/umbrella rentals...some have watersport rentals, too. The guidebook will tell you which beaches have restrooms/restaurants/ bars, etc..

Get a guidebook. Beaches are EASY to do on your own!

Next month I am going on the Jewel for the So Caribbean trip. I'm looking for advice on the best beaches to enjoy. I will be touring:

San Juan, Puerto Rico; Tortola, St. Maarten; St. Kitts; Dominica; Barbados. I would like to be able to go somewhere I can rent a chair, umbrella and enjoy going into the water. Would a formal excursion with Jewel be best or private excursion. Maybe it's better to just take a taxi somewhere. I really am interested in your opinion. Thanks, Cruise Critic members.

Tortola has some wonderful beaches. Brewers Bay is especially nice.

St. Maarten has Orient Beach which is lovely and a good choice.

St. Kitts has beaches some like better than others. Going to Nevis from there is certainly a good option.

Barbados does have some very good beaches. For quick and convenient Boatyard isn't a bad choice.

Dominica is not know for having good beaches. You might want to do something else there.

Nice port stops! Have Fun! :D

LuLu

~~~~

My sons enjoy Maho, it's fun for the planes but not a great beach. The last time we were there trash from Sunset Bar was piled up and the beach was really stinky.

Yep, I think everyone should probably see this beach at least once in their life, but it's not really much of a beach. There are other beaches to go to. :)

Another vote here for Boatyard Beach in Barbados. Short bus ride to the beach, and the small admission fee per person includes chair, umbrella, beverage, AND the shuttle back to the ship.

ship.

Yes, we also went here and got everything you listed here. It was good to not have to worry about transportation back to the ship; check what times the shuttle leaves and go from there.

If you do go to Boatyard, I recommend the flying fish from the grill there! Delicious!!