Will Never Sail P&O Again,

We recently returned from a Cruise on the Pacific Pearl.

We had interconnecting cabins on deck 10.

When we booked these cabins with P&O we asked if there were any noise issues as our previous cruise was on deck 11 and heard the infamous scraping chairs from above.

All through the cruise we endure noise from the Turtle Shack and Cove above our cabin. This made the cabin almost unusable during the day and into the evening until 10pm.

The crew investigated the noise by standing in our cabin for 30 seconds and said there is no problem, then resfused to investigate further.

Head office has deemed their 30 second investigation satisfactory.

The cabins either side of ours also experienced the noice and said they were intending to complain also.

I will now warn all my fellow travellers through all means possible what they treat their loyal customers like.

After three cruises with them in the last 12 months, they have lost us forever.

When we booked these cabins with P&O we asked if there were any noise issues as our previous cruise was on deck 11 and heard the infamous scraping chairs from above.

All through the cruise we endure noise from the Turtle Shack and Cove above our cabin. This made the cabin almost unusable during the day and into the evening until 10pm.

The crew investigated the noise by standing in our cabin for 30 seconds and said there is no problem, then resfused to investigate further.

The cabins either side of ours also experienced the noice and said they were intending to complain also.

I will now warn all my fellow travellers through all means possible what they treat their loyal customers like.

i think when you book a cruise try and do your research and book a cabin in between passenger decks but sometimes you could get kids running up and down the corridor so nothing could be perfect

we have been on one of the princess ship and had a cabin above the Vista Lounge and it got noisy there too but not a lot to do but wear the ear plugs

After having slight noisy from scraping chairs when we were on deck 11 on a previous cruise, we were sure to ask if there were issues.

You cannot view deck plans from apple devices on the P&O website so we were reliant on their information being honest/accurate.

Their solution was offering us two cabins on deck 6 at either end of the ship. Not ideal as one cabin was in use by our children. No offer of monetary compensation for the difference between the cabin classes either.

Oh well, RCI and Princess here we come.

Let the traveller beware!

I think the operative word here is "investigate"

What were you expecting to have investigated?

The Turtle Cove has always been on Deck 11 and certainly was there when you sailed previously.

Given your previous experience, perhaps it may have been in your best interests to better investigate the location of your proposed booking - rather than just leave it to the comments of a booking clerk at P&O. There are plenty of sites on the web where you can get deckplans and even comments on what are the pros and cons of various cabins.

OK, you had an unpleasant experience, but unless there was some extraordinary events happening (rather than having the Turtle Cove where it is) I don't think that should be P&Os problem.

Just my Point of view

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

After having slight noisy from scraping chairs when we were on deck 11 on a previous cruise, we were sure to ask if there were issues.

You cannot view deck plans from apple devices on the P&O website so we were reliant on their information being honest/accurate.

Their solution was offering us two cabins on deck 6 at either end of the ship. Not ideal as one cabin was in use by our children. No offer of monetary compensation for the difference between the cabin classes either.

best of luck with your cruising but if you book a cabin on princess try and not book an inside on deck 8 aft if you want peace and quiet

I think the operative word here is "investigate"

What were you expecting to have investigated?

The Turtle Cove has always been on Deck 11 and certainly was there when you sailed previously.

Given your previous experience, perhaps it may have been in your best interests to better investigate the location of your proposed booking - rather than just leave it to the comments of a booking clerk at P&O. There are plenty of sites on the web where you can get deckplans and even comments on what are the pros and cons of various cabins.

OK, you had an unpleasant experience, but unless there was some extraordinary events happening (rather than having the Turtle Cove where it is) I don't think that should be P&Os problem.

Just my Point of view

cheers

The service staff said there was never a report in the past about noise from the kids club ever before. I doubted them so asked them to investigate the noise. At first we didnt even know where the noise was from, we thought it was another cabin. Funnily enough when we called reception they knew exactly where it was coming from.

I have no kids in that age group, so had no idea it was located there.

Yes, we know those other booking sites exist...now.

Isnt that what a a booking clerk is for? To accurately answer your questions?

Lesson learnt. Future P&O cruise cancelled and we cruise on other lines in future.

I feel for you big time. We have had noisy cabins in the past too, and the standard answer is always that nobody else has complained. I don't understand why they don't just designate these types of locations as possible noise areas and knock a little off the price, and some people would not be worried by the noise and would be glad to take them on. I personally would prefer obstructed view to noise.

Ear plugs, which we have used several times for sea and land accommodation, are a good backup, but I find them uncomfortable. I can sleep in my comfortable bed at home without ear plugs, I don't need to pay good money to be uncomfortable.

I think if they would just admit that there may be noise issues from time to time and give you a complementary $2 set of earplugs, then you would at least feel like you have not been taken for a fool. That is what I hate the most, and that is what I get from your post. You find their attitude to be condescending?

Take care with looking at deck plans, they are not always to the same scale from deck to deck, but we check around the stairs and lifts to compare what is over us.

I feel for you big time. We have had noisy cabins in the past too, and the standard answer is always that nobody else has complained. I don't understand why they don't just designate these types of locations as possible noise areas and knock a little off the price, and some people would not be worried by the noise and would be glad to take them on. I personally would prefer obstructed view to noise.

Ear plugs, which we have used several times for sea and land accommodation, are a good backup, but I find them uncomfortable. I can sleep in my comfortable bed at home without ear plugs, I don't need to pay good money to be uncomfortable.

I think if they would just admit that there may be noise issues from time to time and give you a complementary $2 set of earplugs, then you would at least feel like you have not been taken for a fool. That is what I hate the most, and that is what I get from your post. You find their attitude to be condescending?

Take care with looking at deck plans, they are not always to the same scale from deck to deck, but we check around the stairs and lifts to compare what is over us.

Thank you. This is my point exactly.

My main concern is after asking specifically about noise I was told there was none.

And then with the noise from above resembling wildebeast migrating across the plains, I found it hard to accept there had never...ever been a complaint made.

I was later told by the couple next door to us that they had also complained.

It was about what I believe to be their dismissive, and dishonest manner they responded to our concerns.

Not a company I chose to provide us with pleasant holidays in the future.

Thank you. This is my point exactly.

when you're ready to book another cruise come here and get the advice off CC, we are not travel agents but we might know more than some TA's out there

This has nothing to to with P&O and their ships in particular -- in general, ALL ships have noises and all have areas which are noisier than other areas.

You may not be ever sailing with P&O again -- but you will find the same problem on all other ships. If noise (at night?) is something which particularly annoys you, then you will need to do more research into the location of your cabin on any other ship. Taking a cabin under any entertainment or public area is not especially smart --but it takes us at least once to find this out. Don't get youself a cabin right up forward in the bow -- those waves can be also very noisy. :)

Barry

I download the PDF of the deck plans on all the ships I think I might travel on.

Just find them on Google and on the IPad save them to ibooks, if you do this you will always be able to check the cabin locations yourself.

I'm certain you can save any deck plans on all Apple devices.

:)

Bazza, their attitude was far more annoying than the noise.

At first they denied any noise, then knew exactly where it was coming from.

I understand noise, but continual noise from 9am till 10 pm with a lunch break in between?

P&O aren't the only company that have problem displaying their deck plans on iPads. You really need to check other sites and be obsessive about your research.

It is very unlikely that a sales consultant is ever going to admit to a cabin having specific problems. They want the sale and they are never going to get in trouble for saying they are not aware of any problems (which they would probably never be told about anyway).

On the bright side you can look forward to never being tempted by a P&O cruise again and you can switch to a superior cruiseline (i.e. any cruiseline that is not P&O)

It is such a shame that your cruis ewas ruined. In any case, there are plenty of other ships on the sea..:D

P&O aren't the only company that have problem displaying their deck plans on iPads. You really need to check other sites and be obsessive about your research.

It is very unlikely that a sales consultant is ever going to admit to a cabin having specific problems. They want the sale and they are never going to get in trouble for saying they are not aware of any problems (which they would probably never be told about anyway).

On the bright side you can look forward to never being tempted by a P&O cruise again and you can switch to a superior cruiseline (i.e. any cruiseline that is not P&O)

I have never had any trouble saving deck plans on my IPad.

Just put the name of the ship followed by deck plans PDF on Google and lots of sites will come up, not necessarily the cruise lines. When you open a site offering the PDF just click save then you should find it in ibooks

It is such a shame that your cruis ewas ruined. In any case, there are plenty of other ships on the sea..:D

Not ruined, but their attitude onbaord wasnt nice.

We still had a great holiday.

Looking at other cruise companies now. :-)

I feel your pain. I have a hubby who is a very light sleeper and a cruise for him would be ruined if he had to put up with constant noise, anytime of the day. I also understand that you are frustrated because you were aware of noise issues before you booked and you tried to not have that issue again.

I would second others suggestions and go with lots of research before your next cruise.

I have a son who suffers motion sickness and the first thing I learnt from CC was the need to go down low and in the midships. When I went to my TA, the first thing I mentioned was my son;s issue and she spent 45mins working out the best cabin available for him on the ships that we planned to book.

I also learnt early on CC to never to book the deck under any restaurants or pools due to noise issues.

Finally, if you are looking for an alternative, can I suggest the Rhapsody of the Seas. Only cruised once but loved her and we found Deck 2 to be nice and quiet.

I think you were on my cruise Thomo , left December 10 ?

We were on deck 10 but midship and had no noise , I had amazing sleeps and sleep ins .. would have been a different story if i had a hoard of kids running on top of us . I looked at the Deck plan and see the club is aft ? Were you in an inside or outside cabin? I am thinking your cabin may be in the same vicinity that we are looking at on the Jewel for our next cruise (No kids club on top on the Jewel though) Forgetting the noise for a minute how did you find the location of your cabin movement wise ? There was a couple of days on that cruise that I felt the seas were a little rough?

I think you were on my cruise Thomo , left December 10 ?

We were on deck 10 but midship and had no noise , I had amazing sleeps and sleep ins .. would have been a different story if i had a hoard of kids running on top of us . I looked at the Deck plan and see the club is aft ? Were you in an inside or outside cabin? I am thinking your cabin may be in the same vicinity that we are looking at on the Jewel for our next cruise (No kids club on top on the Jewel though) Forgetting the noise for a minute how did you find the location of your cabin movement wise ? There was a couple of days on that cruise that I felt the seas were a little rough?

Yes we were on that cruise. Apart from the noise we had a fantastic time. It made it a bit hard to have a nap after a big day before having a long night.

We were an inside cabin near the rear of the ship. That said there was no movement to speak of at all.

From what I have found out since the other P&O ships have their kids clubs well away from any cabins.