Weather concerns

Minoushka

Lord oh lord we are heading into a winter storm becoming freezin rain ...then rain just to refreeze ...ohhhoooo what will happen to ny Mondayflight after that mess ??

I am worried if they cancel many flights on Monday will we miss our cruise on wed ??

Yikes

We sail on Wed as well. Out of Ottawa to Chicago and then to Fort Lauderdale. Some snow is expected on Sunday and Monday but just cloudy and cold on Tuesday.

While the roads may be difficult, they are very good at keeping the airports open and operating, as it costs so much when things start to shut down.

I know you are out of Montreal but where do you fly to? New York?? and the on to the ship??

If you are leaving on Monday for a cruise on Wednesday then I would think you have lots of time for delays and re-routes. While it is not nice to face either, at least you have some wiggle room. We leave on Tuesday for a cruise on Wednesday. 24 less hours for "wiggling". :)

I feel quite comfortable with the weather forecasts for our trip so I personally think you will be fine also. It is, however, just my opinion and I also have my cruise counting on my optimism.

Cruising out on Wednesday, on a Princess ship ... let me guess!!!! Going on the Coral Princess out of Fort Lauderdale, into the Panama Canal? If so, then I will see you on board.

Good Luck with your travels.

Fly out tomorrow. This weather system is large; chances are that even if your northern airport has the equipment to remain open, the airplane itself may be stuck in a closed airport in another city.

I was in this same situation several years ago and flew to Florida four days earlier than scheduled. It was worth every penny of the extra money on flights/hotel/car rental for the peace of mind.

Most of the US airlines are not charging a fee right now to change flights during this storm mess. (Heard that on the radio news today)

Might be worth a 'visit' to your airlines website. (do NOT try to call!)

Good luck all!

I know it isn't always possible but generally when we fly east to a cruise leaving Fla or other southern ports during the winter we never take a connecting flight to a city that has a reputation for snow, i.e., Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis,etc. Direct flights are ideal but if we cannot get one, we connect through Vegas or Houston.

Heavy rains can delay flights, as well. We once had a bit of a scare when we were flying out of SFO to New Orleans. BOTH airports were dealing with delays and intermittent closing. We decided to better our odds and just drove to the airport and waited stand-by for two seats on a flight going out earlier. We lucked out but it definitely was a nail biter. And this was only RAIN.

I hope everyone makes it to their cruise ports safely and on time.

I know it isn't always possible but generally when we fly east to a cruise leaving Fla or other southern ports during the winter we never take a connecting flight to a city that has a reputation for snow, i.e., Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis,etc. Direct flights are ideal but if we cannot get one, we connect through Vegas or Houston.

Heavy rains can delay flights, as well. We once had a bit of a scare when we were flying out of SFO to New Orleans. BOTH airports were dealing with delays and intermittent closing. We decided to better our odds and just drove to the airport and waited stand-by for two seats on a flight going out earlier. We lucked out but it definitely was a nail biter. And this was only RAIN.

I hope everyone makes it to their cruise ports safely and on time.

Thank you for your best wishes.

As has been pointed out earlier, we do reside in Canada (someone needs to I suppose) and very few flights leave here for direct flights to Fort Lauderdale. Most require a transfer in Washington, JFK, Chicago or other such hub airport in the U.S.

I can't speak for others, but I had oral surgery 6 weeks ago and have been on a liquid diet right through Christmas and New Year celebrations. They put my mouth back together on Monday morning (just in time for the cruise) so I don't want to miss that appointment.

I know we all seem to have various opinions of the food presently being served on Princess but anything is better than a continued liquid diet while I watch everyone else eat the feasts. I have already endured this during the holidays and refuse to do so on the cruise.

Thus I can do little else except do what I must on Monday and then "pray" the forecasts are correct for Tuesday. If there are complications we do have a 24 hour period of grace to make our way down through alternative airlines or flights.

Yes we are Canadians, but even if we weren't, and should we live in the northeast U.S. I suppose we would have to expect the same as the Canuks. so really, as an earlier poster suggested, being Canadian has little to do with the problem at hand.

Unlike most people in the U.S., we in Canada most always travel to and from cruises at least one, if not two days in advance just in case of such circumstances. It is just part of the price we absorb for being Canadian and wanting to "escape completely", :)

I wish you luck flying tomorrow thru Chicago, both airports are still recovering fron our 12 inches of snow 2 days ago, and now we are expecting 8-12 inches more by Monday evening. Then Tuesday the high temp will not be above -11 F. Wed is going to be a better day as the storm will be going east. (This is the report I just saw on ABC TV in Chicago)

I know you will check to see if your flight leaves on time. I really hope you make your cruise

Sorry to be the bearer of bad weather news

Arlene in Chicago

What a wonderful thing to look forward to.....going on a cruise after not eating for 6 weeks. No matter how bad anyone thinks the food on Princess is, it will taste great to you!!

By the way, we love Canadians in Detroit, we're always going to Windsor and Toronto and we really enjoy when the Red Wings beat any Canadian hockey team:).

Enjoy!!

I wish you luck flying tomorrow thru Chicago, both airports are still recovering fron our 12 inches of snow 2 days ago, and now we are expecting 8-12 inches more by Monday evening. Then Tuesday the high temp will not be above -11 F. Wed is going to be a better day as the storm will be going east. (This is the report I just saw on ABC TV in Chicago)

I know you will check to see if your flight leaves on time. I really hope you make your cruise

Sorry to be the bearer of bad weather news

Arlene in Chicago

Thanks Arlene, I really appreciate your time and the information you are providing. We don't fly out till Tuesday Morning at 6am. (Not tomorrow)

My "hope" is that since we leave at 6am we will be on the first flight out of Ottawa to Chicago and thus there should be no problems as the flight is a layover, overnight ready for the first flight in the morning. The Forecast if for clear but cold temps with no snow)

It is supposed to be nice, cold but nice in Chicago both Monday and Tuesday thus arriving should not be a problem as surely A Massive Operation such as Chicago will have the operation up and running two days after the scheduled end to the snow, no matter how much you get, even if it is a foot.

I really do believe the only worry lies in the location of our connecting flight out of ORD at 9:30am. If this was a layover flight, arriving the night before them I think we are fine. If, however, it is a stopover flight arriving from elsewhere into ORD enroute to FLL then that might be problematic,

Should there be a problem in ORD then there are 8 other flights that can get us to FLL. If not then there are a further 7 flights to Miami. Miami has a shuttle for the 30 min drive from airport to cruise port.

I have stated all this in an attempt to convince me that I am ok, now you, but it was kind of you to listen as I calmed myself down:o

Edited by wilfros

What a wonderful thing to look forward to.....going on a cruise after not eating for 6 weeks. No matter how bad anyone thinks the food on Princess is, it will taste great to you!!

By the way, we love Canadians in Detroit, we're always going to Windsor and Toronto and we really enjoy when the Red Wings beat any Canadian hockey team:).

Enjoy!!

Now I know why you like Canada. Not only do you have Daniel Alfredsson but now you send him back here to embarrass us!

Cruise food, Chinese food, heck, EVEN McDONALD's is going to taste good. Six weeks of slushies is the absolute limit. I'm averaging a loss of 2.5 lbs per day and really pissin my wife off. LOL

Thanks for your post

Edited by wilfros

Now I know why you like Canada. Not only do you have Daniel Alfredsson but now you send him back here to embarrass us!

Cruise food, Chinese food, heck, EVEN McDONALD's is going to taste good. Six weeks of slushies is the absolute limit. I'm averaging a loss of 2.5 lbs per day and really pissin my wife off. LOL

Thanks for your post

I was all ready to wish you well and good luck getting to FLL in time for your wonderful cruise, but this losing 2.5 lbs. per day is not only upsetting your wife, I am really quite unhappy with you as well!!!! ;);) Really the only thing that is allowing me to master my temper at this point is thinking about how desperately you must need a belt on your trousers, oh slim one.

I really do sincerely wish you the best with getting your mouth completely back together, and urge you to do two things - well three - take it easy going back to solid food, gain weight every day to stop upsetting me and your wife, and please make it to sunny FL so you can enjoy that cruise!! (Take along plenty of belts and maybe some suspenders.....)

Bon Voyage!!!!

I really do believe the only worry lies in the location of our connecting flight out of ORD at 9:30am. If this was a layover flight, arriving the night before them I think we are fine. If, however, it is a stopover flight arriving from elsewhere into ORD enroute to FLL then that might be problematic,

Should there be a problem in ORD then there are 8 other flights that can get us to FLL. If not then there are a further 7 flights to Miami. Miami has a shuttle for the 30 min drive from airport to cruise port.

:o

Hopefully your booked flight out of ORD will operate and get you to the sunny southland.

However, if that flight is cancelled, the 15 alternate flights to FLL and MIA may already be 100% full with passengers from previously cancelled flights on Saturday, Sunday and possibly Monday.

Optimistically, I think your flights will be OK and you will be on your way to a great cruise.

Optimistically, I think your flights will be OK and you will be on your way to a great cruise.

Optimistically ... That's the foundation word of all Canadians. Thanks for your posts everyone.

NOW ... They are free to detain us for as long as they want on our return flight. Being stranded in Florida is just fine with me.

I am also on the same Wednesday cruise as the OP. We had 3 inches of snow last night, here in the Detroit area, and it is SNOWING now, with another 6-8 inches expected by Monday morning. All flights out of DTW, to FLL, this morning have left on time, but most of those originate here in Detroit (lucky us, as we do not normally have to make connections). Our big concern is that we leave Tuesday morning and the temp then is supposed to be about -14 (F). We may go stay at an airport hotel Monday night.

Update on Chicago weather for our friends in Canada...Chicago Ohare has cancelled 1200 flights today (its still snowing and the temp is going down) They will be playing catch up tomorrow with flights and they say that icing is a problem with really cold temps. -17F (-27C) on Monday but no new snow, Tuesday is going to be a high of 0 F but clear NO SNOW

Keeping my fingerrs crossed for safe and on time flights for all of you

and Sunny and warm days on your cruise

Arlene

Well earlier I took the advise of fellow cruisers on CC about the panama canal boat tour and canceled it. So why would I ignore you now.

I woke up this morning and re-evaluated what was happening. We have a tuesday flight out of Ottawa to Chicago and then to Fort Lauderdale. While this is a discounted flight with no refunds, I decided I needed a backup plan.

I called Air Canada and made a reservation for tomorrow afternoon direct from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale. So if one flight doesn't go then the other one might. In all the years that we have flown out of Ottawa, Southbound for a cruise this is the first weather concern we have ever had.

I figure it was my turn and better to be prepared than sorry as I watch the ship leave without us.

At worst we will have a flight with a backup flight and at best we will have all day Tuesday in fort Lauderdale in the sun and heat with no worries at all.

Thanks to all for their best wishes and I hope this investment in flights pays off in less worries.

This is a really bad horrible solution but it is only 1600 miles from Montreal to Fort Lauderale. If you left now, that is only about 500 miles per day. Or else, drive south somewhere to where you can get a flight.

As I said, a horrible solution but it would work.

You would think that leaving Monday for a Wednesday cruise would be OK, even in the winter.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

This is a really bad horrible solution but it is only 1600 miles from Montreal to Fort Lauderale. If you left now, that is only about 500 miles per day. Or else, drive south somewhere to where you can get a flight.

As I said, a horrible solution but it would work.

You would think that leaving Monday for a Wednesday cruise would be OK, even in the winter.

DON

If you knew what the weather conditions were for that drive south, you would not be suggesting it:eek:

Several years ago we were "stranded" in Ft Lauderdale for 3 days after our cruise. Our airport in Indianapolis was fine, but we had a connecting flight through Atlanta, and Atlanta had a big ice storm. It was fun calling in to work telling them that I was stranded in Ft Lauderdale when it was 20 degrees in Indy.