Sneaking alcohol on board cruise ships!

i dont remember anyone ever saying theyve been caught when putting rum runners in their check in luggage.

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

it takes 2 minutes and very simple.

you call it cheap, i call it smart. you hate me for it, i laugh at you for stressing out of what other people do when it doesnt effect you.

i bring my mixer with me. 12 cans of club soda. legal to bring. a water bottle to bring the vodka around the ship.

keep hating, i like it. $40 and ill drink when i want, how i want and where i want. :)

I agree with you about the rude people calling others cheap. I'm puzzled though about the mixers. It sees that would catch the attention of the cruise line and they would look for the rum runners.

What are your thoughts on sneaking alcohol on board cruises? I've never done it and never would but there are some that do it and get away with it. There are people that even have YouTube videos that show you how to do it. I think that's hilarious yet sad at the same time. Whatever your opinion is, I'd like to hear it.

If someone wants to sneak alcohol onboard I said its their business. And,if you get caught I also prefer that you just don't come here and complain about it.

No sarcasm here. It's probably because you only get 4 servings per bottle of wine. A bottle of liquor will go a lot farther cutting into their profits.

Also there are so many wines available that RCI couldn't come close to having them all. There are very few high quality wines on board. They have a greater variety of liquor with many qualities of each.

That's what I think anyway.

I'm sure that is a biggest reason but I wonder whether there is a behaviour issue involved, as well. I mean, I have seen lots of drunk, rowdy people slamming back beer and margaritas, etc. but have yet to see a wine swilling crowd doing wine pong or jumping in pools off balconies, or spontaneous wet t-shirt contests. It's kind of hard to cut someone off if they aren't imbibing the ship's booze.

...if you get caught I also prefer that you just don't come here and complain about it.
There was a thread a year or so ago where OP moaned that her infirmed 80 year old mother had to roll her wheelchair to the "naughty room" and how terrible RCI was blah, blah, blah. As the story developed the OP, knowing the rules and not wishing to get caught, conned her mother into carry it. Nice50 year old child (in every sense of child):mad:

That's interesting. The ships I've been on will sell you bottles of alcohol, but they hold it for you until you get off. Then if you are flying home, you have a problem. I wasn't aware any ships would let you buy a bottle and drink it in your room.

The issue of smuggling really is history since just about all cruise lines are offering beverage packages. They takes away the need to smuggle.

I bought champagne/prosecco for our cabin from the Bon Voyage program with Carnival that we drank over a couple of days. Sure, it had a markup but no different than buying a bottle of wine in a restaurant. I thought they (Carnival in this instance) only confiscated bottles that were over the one per person brought on board during embarkation.

I agree with you about the rude people calling others cheap. I'm puzzled though about the mixers. It sees that would catch the attention of the cruise line and they would look for the rum runners.

I drink club soda with a twist of lemon. No booze. It's refreshing.

why ask a loaded question that generates the same old tunes from the same folks if you would never do it?

much easier to get hammered on the ship when you have the drink package then when you bring a couple of rum runners. see the thread about muster drill and the guys being to hammered to go because of the endless drinks.

a bottle of Booker's Bourbon is $55+/- retail and fits in a couple of rum runners. Bookers Bourbon is not included in the premium drink package. 4 shots of Bookers on-board and I have more then paid for the bottle. with that and 2 bottles of wine we are good in the cabin and me an afternoon drink with my cigar at the pool. our bar tab was still a little over $500. the wife likes her margaritas, whiskey sours and amaretto sours. got to admit RCI makes a mean margarita.

just like worrying about a smoker on THEIR balcony two floors down and 10 cabins over it really isn't your business.

Edited by Sherlock43031

I hate that people act like smuggling is stealing, it's not even in the same ball park. It's not mandatory to buy alcohol on board, so do you think all the people who don't drink are costing you money? I smuggle and don't think twice about it, when you go to a hotel room you bring beer to your room. Now if I want to enjoy a bar then I buy my drinks there. I don't bring my smuggled booze to dinner either. And to the people who say if you can afford to cruise you can afford to buy onboard. You don't know how much money anyone else has. I can afford to go out to dinner doesn't mean I can afford to buy anything on the menu. Now for a bar, the prices are not bad but who spends a week at a bar. I would much rather people save money by smuggling booze than not tipping properly.

And my bet (like many people have implied), they could stop it if they wanted to. My guess is they don't want to lose those customers. The day I can't smuggle booze is the day I stop cruising, FYI I also bring my own candy to the movies. I WILL ALWAYS DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO GET AROUND PRICE GOUGING. You want me to buy your product make me a reasonable deal. I spend about a $150.00 in drinks onboard. If I didn't smuggle I would spend the same amount I would just have less fun. The way I see it I paid for my ticket and was told besides tips I did not have to spend anymore money if I did not want to. You know they sell clothes and watches onboard but I bring my own. And by the way I'm pretty sure my mother in law smuggles on her own tea bags... someone should call security!!

And for those who think your paying for part of my ride by buying all your drinks onboard, then I say thanks for making it possible for us with less money to enjoy ourselves once a year. After all it's the least you could do as we probably built your home, fixed your car, cut your hair, and watched your children.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

well you have to smuggle in your checked luggage

and bring your soda or mixers onboard yourself

why? i like drinking club soda straight from the can :)

they take our bags right as we park the car, is that how it is for everyone? (sry friends parents are platinum) before we get to security. they dont see what im carrying on.

i drink vodka water or vodka soda so whats the difference? my friends drink rum n coke so they bring coke. theres absolutely no chance you can get caught pre-cruise. works like a charm!! try it!!

I hate that people act like smuggling is stealing, it's not even in the same ball park. It's not mandatory to buy alcohol on board, so do you think all the people who don't drink are costing you money? I smuggle and don't think twice about it, when you go to a hotel room you bring beer to your room. Now if I want to enjoy a bar then I buy my drinks there. I don't bring my smuggled booze to dinner either. And to the people who say if you can afford to cruise you can afford to buy onboard. You don't know how much money anyone else has. I can afford to go out to dinner doesn't mean I can afford to buy anything on the menu. Now for a bar, the prices are not bad but who spends a week at a bar. I would much rather people save money by smuggling booze than not tipping properly.

And my bet (like many people have implied), they could stop it if they wanted to. My guess is they don't want to lose those customers. The day I can't smuggle booze is the day I stop cruising, FYI I also bring my own candy to the movies. I WILL ALWAYS DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO GET AROUND PRICE GOUGING. You want me to buy your product make me a reasonable deal. I spend about a $150.00 in drinks onboard. If I didn't smuggle I would spend the same amount I would just have less fun. The way I see it I paid for my ticket and was told besides tips I did not have to spend anymore money if I did not want to. You know they sell clothes and watches onboard but I bring my own. And by the way I'm pretty sure my mother in law smuggles on her own tea bags... someone should call security!!

And for those who think your paying for part of my ride by buying all your drinks onboard, then I say thanks for making it possible for us with less money to enjoy ourselves once a year. After all it's the least you could do as we probably built your home, fixed your car, cut your hair, and watched your children.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

I never understood the good folks who worry themselves over something that isn't impacting them at all. You think this has them wound up wait until the next smoking thread or the next people take too much food in the WJ or 'those' people that order multiples in the MDR. then you have your chair hogs, people who don't wash their hands in the crapper (some people evidently spend way to much time in public restrooms), folks that are to lazy to take the stairs and clog up elevators. add the do or don't passport threads and the tipping threads. all my all time favorites of the formal night police watching the doors and pointing out who is improperly dressed.

We are all entitled to our opinions on this matter and my opinion is if you do it you're cheap and it effects everyone somehow whether it be higher cruise fares or higher drink packages. Sneaking around trying to get ice for your smuggled drink is cheap.

so is that your opinion or a fact? please prove it.

Originally Posted by CruiseAddict1982 View Post

We are all entitled to our opinions on this matter and my opinion is if you do it you're cheap and it effects everyone somehow whether it be higher cruise fares or higher drink packages. Sneaking around trying to get ice for your smuggled drink is cheap.

how about the guy that tips a $20 on his first drink so he will get long shots the rest of the week?.. no one seemed to think that was affecting drink prices.

Understandable, but we all know the rules prior to paying for the cruise. If you go to a restaurant, do you bring your own alcohol if the alcohol prices aren't reasonable? Probably not because you know the consequences of doing it. Royal doesn't seem to be enforcing this rule which they should.

Knew a person that did. :(

Do you bring your own burgers to McDonald's? Do you bring your own alcohol to restaurants?

Yes, I bring my own wine. And pay the applicable corkage fee and a bit extra tip to the server. I seldom find wines I enjoy with the proper age on them in restaurants, so I bring a bottle from my cellar. It's perfectly acceptable.

In some states restaurants can buy a very inexpensive license to allow people to BYOB. It saves them thousands in license fees and insurance, as well as tens of thousands in not having to stock alcohol. If you want wine or beer with dinner, you have to BYOB.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

why? i like drinking club soda straight from the can :)

they take our bags right as we park the car, is that how it is for everyone? (sry friends parents are platinum) before we get to security. they dont see what im carrying on.

i drink vodka water or vodka soda so whats the difference? my friends drink rum n coke so they bring coke. theres absolutely no chance you can get caught pre-cruise. works like a charm!! try it!!

I suppose if carry on the coke and club soda and put the rum and vodka in your luggage, you would not get an extra check on your luggage. I think if you put the mixers in the luggage that would see it in the Xray and open the luggage to look for liquor. Sounds like carrying the mixers on separately works.

so is that your opinion or a fact? please prove it.

You are entitled to your opinion. I also have an opinion. I don't smuggle alcohol because I buy the beverage package or go on Celebrity cruises which throw in the beverage package as a perk. Sneaking alcohol is not necessary.

I also have an opinion and if I were to have to share a boat with someone who smuggles alcohol on board or someone who calls someone cheap for doing it, I would much rather share a ship with the smugglers than the rude folks.