Sneaking alcohol on board cruise ships!

I love that they've gone to the drink packages. I can pre-pay all my alcohol purchases months in advance of actually boarding the ship, and never worry about it. I have friends who smuggle alcohol and I've never understood it. It's just not worth it to me.

Totally agree with this. Now that you can prepay & budget what's the point is sneaking alcohol on board? Just buy a pack & sit & enjoy.

Dumb question but why does Royal allow cruisers to bring on wine, but not liquor?

I'm sure someone will have some sarcastic answer for me! Trolls will come out their holes for this one lol

No sarcasm here. It's probably because you only get 4 servings per bottle of wine. A bottle of liquor will go a lot farther cutting into their profits.

Also there are so many wines available that RCI couldn't come close to having them all. There are very few high quality wines on board. They have a greater variety of liquor with many qualities of each.

That's what I think anyway.

No sarcasm here. It's probably because you only get 4 servings per bottle of wine. A bottle of liquor will go a lot farther cutting into their profits.

Also there are so many wines available that RCI couldn't come close to having them all. There are very few high quality wines on board. They have a greater variety of liquor with many qualities of each.

That's what I think anyway.

Thank you.

Yep. They don't lose as much on wine. I also think that it might prevent people from being just completely hammered. Bartenders can and should cut people off but nobody will in the room. Granted a bottle or two of wine can have the same effect but only for one or two nights. A couple of bottles of hard liquor could be more of a problem. That is my .02 anyway.

Only thing I have ever smuggled on board were a few drink boxes but I don't mind people sneaking a bottle on board to drink in their room to save a few bucks. Drinks on board tend to be a little expensive.

Although I hate the post cruise bar bill, I like relaxing on a deck chair having a drink served. I'm seriously considering purchasing a drink package on my next cruise in August.

To be honest there is a lot of "holier than thou" going on in this thread. I'm sure every person here has snuck something somewhere. Or done SOMETHING illegal. If you're trying to say you have never done anything illegal or wrong, you're lying.

As far as smuggling on alcohol, I have done it, because I enjoy being able to sip a drink in my stateroom without having to leave and run to a bar to buy one. Money is only one factor. I personally don't think me bringing a liter of alcohol onto the ship is going to cause any negative effects to anyone else. Also it will not cause cruise fares to increase. It just doesn't work that way. That is why Royal doesn't enforce the policy strictly, the cost-benefit is not there for them.

Just my $.02 -- Flame suit - on.

If they say "no liquor to be brought on-board" and meant it , they could get rid of 98% of liquor smuggling within two weeks. At check-in have passengers sign a paper that gives them a chance to admit and surrender alcohol, and informs them that anyone caught in violation will be removed from the ship with no refund, and then do it. Will they catch everyone - absolutely not, but if on every ship 400 people smuggle and 200 are caught and thrown off the ship, within two week there will be very little smuggling (are most really willing to bet a cruise for a rum-runner?). The current policy is a JOKE. The "penalty" is they keep the liquor, and if it is a bottle, they even return it at the end of the cruise.

From a revenue perspective, all guests represent potential spending of XYZ. If you disallow boarding of a guest the cruiseline is shooting itself in the foot by not having the potential to get your on board spending.

Another item that is prohibited is a hot plate iron. Why? The cruise line may say "safety" and with a very straight face, but let's not forget that they do offer pay for ironing services so while bringing on alcohol may be a detriment to the bottom line, a stronger argument may be made that bringing on an iron is both a safety hazard and could be a detriment to the bottom line. I don't recall anyone booted for having an iron, do you?

I have no problem with the cruiseline confiscating anything that they consider to be contraband or disallowed. But if I had an iron in my luggage I would not reasonably expect to forfeit my vacation and all monies if "caught", nor would I expect the cruise line to destroy my perfectly legal to own iron. Confiscate and return later, yes. Same with alcohol. It is a legal substance for adults to purchase and possess. It is against cruiseline policy to bring your own hard liquor, it is not illegal.

Believe me; if people started being denied boarding and made to forfeit all their money over pocketknives, irons, a flask of booze, etc. you'd be hearing about nasty lawsuits and a whole lot of negative PR, cruise contract or not.

I'm sure the cruiseline has figured out more or less what smuggling costs them in revenue, and figure that the small amount that likely gets by is more than offset by selling other services to the guests while onboard. Enforcing rules in a draconian way would have people turning away and being quite vocal. There are other policies far less difficult to police and RCI let's it slide; dress code anyone? Should they ban people from returning to cruise as well? Should they enforce copyright laws against people that come to CC and YouTube to show photos and videos of onboard entertainment? Just saying, those, to me, would be just as absurd as denying boarding to people who happen to possess a legal to own item during embarkation. If it is considered contraband, take it, tag it, return it later. Just like they currently do.

As far as my opinion on smuggling; I'm not particularly bothered or offended. What someone else does has no bearing on my actions; I will order and drink what I want, when I want, where I want and never think "This should have been 25 cents less if there weren't all those damn smugglers". If someone wants to schlep booze around, risk having it spill on their clothes, etc. and sees there is a benefit that outweighs the risk, well go right ahead.

I honestly believe that if the cruiseline woud charge $60 for a $20 bottle of booze and deliver it to the staterooms of guests, that many people would see the value in spending the additional $40 and "not dealing with it." How many times do you see that asked as a question or suggested as a service? Many times.

I frankly don't understand why RCI isn't monetizing onboard stateroom bottle sale service; that's the sort of thing that DIRECTLY counteracts smugglers, as many smugglers will say they do it to have convenient access to alcohol for a little nite cap or a "getting ready" before dinner drink in the room. Maybe RCI wouldn't have to put more time, money, and effort into "policing" and policy enforcement if they evolved other policies that let customers have what they want and the cruiseline get money?

It's like going to McDonald's and asking for a cup for water, but when no ones looking you get the soda instead. Lol

No, it's like going to McDonalds but bringing your own beverage, thus cutting down McDonalds ability to profit off of you.

Interchange McDonalds with RCI.

To be honest there is a lot of "holier than thou" going on in this thread. I'm sure every person here has snuck something somewhere. Or done SOMETHING illegal. If you're trying to say you have never done anything illegal or wrong, you're lying.

As far as smuggling on alcohol, I have done it, because I enjoy being able to sip a drink in my stateroom without having to leave and run to a bar to buy one. Money is only one factor. I personally don't think me bringing a liter of alcohol onto the ship is going to cause any negative effects to anyone else. Also it will not cause cruise fares to increase. It just doesn't work that way. That is why Royal doesn't enforce the policy strictly, the cost-benefit is not there for them.

Just my $.02 -- Flame suit - on.

Well I follow rules and haven't snuck anything anywhere. I just follow the rules. I don't claim to be anything higher than anyone

shocked no one noticed rum runner flasks yet. they work and never heard 1 person say theyve been caught.

the cruise ship alcohol package, its more or less $50 a day and they add 15% tip too. you cant buy it daily, you have to buy the package throughout the entire trip... my cruise on the breeze was 8 days. cost me $400. the alcohol package was more than the cruise. total waste. im not drinking 8 nights, and i HATE when people add the tip on anything.

i leave in 3 weeks on a 7 day cruise, you better believe im bringing a few flasks with me!! :)

My next post "How to sneak a doobie on a cruise".

No, I have not done it, but it would make for an interesting thread, no? :cool:

From a revenue perspective, all guests represent potential spending of XYZ. If you disallow boarding of a guest the cruiseline is shooting itself in the foot by not having the potential to get your on board spending.

Another item that is prohibited is a hot plate iron. Why? The cruise line may say "safety" and with a very straight face, but let's not forget that they do offer pay for ironing services so while bringing on alcohol may be a detriment to the bottom line, a stronger argument may be made that bringing on an iron is both a safety hazard and could be a detriment to the bottom line. I don't recall anyone booted for having an iron, do you?

I have no problem with the cruiseline confiscating anything that they consider to be contraband or disallowed. But if I had an iron in my luggage I would not reasonably expect to forfeit my vacation and all monies if "caught", nor would I expect the cruise line to destroy my perfectly legal to own iron. Confiscate and return later, yes. Same with alcohol. It is a legal substance for adults to purchase and possess. It is against cruiseline policy to bring your own hard liquor, it is not illegal.

Believe me; if people started being denied boarding and made to forfeit all their money over pocketknives, irons, a flask of booze, etc. you'd be hearing about nasty lawsuits and a whole lot of negative PR, cruise contract or not.

I'm sure the cruiseline has figured out more or less what smuggling costs them in revenue, and figure that the small amount that likely gets by is more than offset by selling other services to the guests while onboard. Enforcing rules in a draconian way would have people turning away and being quite vocal. There are other policies far less difficult to police and RCI let's it slide; dress code anyone? Should they ban people from returning to cruise as well? Should they enforce copyright laws against people that come to CC and YouTube to show photos and videos of onboard entertainment? Just saying, those, to me, would be just as absurd as denying boarding to people who happen to possess a legal to own item during embarkation. If it is considered contraband, take it, tag it, return it later. Just like they currently do.

As far as my opinion on smuggling; I'm not particularly bothered or offended. What someone else does has no bearing on my actions; I will order and drink what I want, when I want, where I want and never think "This should have been 25 cents less if there weren't all those damn smugglers". If someone wants to schlep booze around, risk having it spill on their clothes, etc. and sees there is a benefit that outweighs the risk, well go right ahead.

I honestly believe that if the cruiseline woud charge $60 for a $20 bottle of booze and deliver it to the staterooms of guests, that many people would see the value in spending the additional $40 and "not dealing with it." How many times do you see that asked as a question or suggested as a service? Many times.

I frankly don't understand why RCI isn't monetizing onboard stateroom bottle sale service; that's the sort of thing that DIRECTLY counteracts smugglers, as many smugglers will say they do it to have convenient access to alcohol for a little nite cap or a "getting ready" before dinner drink in the room. Maybe RCI wouldn't have to put more time, money, and effort into "policing" and policy enforcement if they evolved other policies that let customers have what they want and the cruiseline get money?

Very well put! Thank you!

shocked no one noticed rum runner flasks yet. they work and never heard 1 person say theyve been caught.

the cruise ship alcohol package, its more or less $50 a day and they add 15% tip too. you cant buy it daily, you have to buy the package throughout the entire trip... my cruise on the breeze was 8 days. cost me $400. the alcohol package was more than the cruise. total waste. im not drinking 8 nights, and i HATE when people add the tip on anything.

i leave in 3 weeks on a 7 day cruise, you better believe im bringing a few flasks with me!! :)

Lol good luck! And if you get caught, will you buy drinks or not drink at all?

Frankly, I don't think that it is anyone's business what I do or don't do. What I choose to bring on board is between me and the cruise line. I do not steal bathrobes, glasses, books or anything else that is not nailed down. People need to quit worrying about what other people are doing.

absolutely. especially the last sentence.

NCL does that (bar setup in room), starting at $83 (no gratuity added) for bar setup in room pre-sailing, and you get 3 mixers and 3 garnishes per bottle... but they don't publicize it much. Thankful to our Roll Call for finding out about it.

You can also buy a bottle to take to your room on board, starting at US$80+15%, with 6 mixers no garnishes. This you can find out in the small print on any bar menu on the liquor page.

But here is the FUNNIEST THING YET. On the NCL Star last month, on the bottom shelf of the duty-free liquor display cabinet -- they were selling Rum Runners!

Edited by crystalspin