Sneaking alcohol on board cruise ships!

I think smuggling brings prices down if anything, supply and demand.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

I think you are right. That is what prompted cruise lines to come up with the beverage packages. They couldn't control people bringing liquor on board and they knew it. Now they know they get at least $50 per day out of most drinkers. It's not likely that very many people are going to try to drink their on liquor in public places. It's too inconvenient and the beverage packages are both convenient and affordable.

Now, if someone buys a beverage package (and most heavy drinkers do), they do the cruise line a favor by drinking some of their own liquor instead of the ships liquor.

Now, if someone buys a beverage package (and most heavy drinkers do), they do the cruise line a favor by drinking some of their own liquor instead of the ships liquor.

What a great idea! Buy the cheers pkg etc and you're allowed to carry on up to 2x 750ml per cabin. Love it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I do not drink at all, and my wife would probably drink two glasses of wine an entire cruise, so I have no need to smuggle alcohol onboard. So from my viewpoint, I fail to see the need to have a large quantity of cheap alcohol available to you.

OTOH, if the soda package were more expensive, I might smuggle soda onboard.

Everyone has their vice.

I do not drink at all, and my wife would probably drink two glasses of wine an entire cruise, so I have no need to smuggle alcohol onboard. So from my viewpoint, I fail to see the need to have a large quantity of cheap alcohol available to you.

OTOH, if the soda package were more expensive, I might smuggle soda onboard.

Everyone has their vice.

You obviously have no need to smuggle alcohol on board. Some people are in the habit of having before dinner cocktails every night when they get home from work. If they were deprived of that, they would be uncomfortable just as a coffee denied their morning coffee. If cruise ships started selling coffee at $10 per glass, we'd likely be seeing coffee smuggled aboard.

With the beverage plans which most ships now have, smuggling is no longer an issue.

With the beverage plans which most ships now have, smuggling is no longer an issue.

I have my doubts as to whether $50+ per day packages have eliminated the issue of people bringing their own bottle for personal stateroom consumption.

You obviously have no need to smuggle alcohol on board. Some people are in the habit of having before dinner cocktails every night when they get home from work. If they were deprived of that, they would be uncomfortable just as a coffee denied their morning coffee. If cruise ships started selling coffee at $10 per glass, we'd likely be seeing coffee smuggled aboard.

Anyone who is "uncomfortable" missing either of these is an addict and should seek help.

We enjoy wine with dinner. We don't have it every night. We don't need it. We are not "uncomfortable" without it. We choose ships who treat adults like adults and allow unlimited BYOB wine or include wine in the cruise fare.

I don't understand the logic behind choosing a cruise line who has rules you can't abide by. Why not simply cruise on a line that meets what you are looking for instead of spinning wheels figuring out ways around whatever rules you don't care for?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I have my doubts as to whether $50+ per day packages have eliminated the issue of people bringing their own bottle for personal stateroom consumption.

It's probably eliminated the issue of the cruise line caring. If someone buys a beverage package, they can drink all the ship's alcohol they want. It would actually cost the ship less money if passengers who bought the beverage package drank some of their own alcohol.

I wonder if there's a way to stop messages from this thread from coming to my email box without blocking all messages from Cruise Critic.

It stopped me from doing it.

Smuggling is a hassle and everyone has a price they'd be willing to pay to skip the hassle.

Burt

I don't understand the logic behind choosing a cruise line who has rules you can't abide by. Why not simply cruise on a line that meets what you are looking for instead of spinning wheels figuring out ways around whatever rules you don't care for?.

Price!

Burt

You are entitled to your opinion. I also have an opinion. I don't smuggle alcohol because I buy the beverage package or go on Celebrity cruises which throw in the beverage package as a perk. Sneaking alcohol is not necessary.

I also have an opinion and if I were to have to share a boat with someone who smuggles alcohol on board or someone who calls someone cheap for doing it, I would much rather share a ship with the smugglers than the rude folks.

my comment wasnt to you, it was to the coolcruiser1982 guy.

making assumptions n getting a little angry with us!!

It stopped me from doing it.

Smuggling is a hassle and everyone has a price they'd be willing to pay to skip the hassle.

Burt

if putting alcohol in a few bags and putting them in your luggage is a hassle, then i understand why you would spend $50 x however many days the cruise is.

Price!

Burt

I'd like a lot if things that I can't have due to price. It doesn't mean I spend hours dreaming up ways to scam my way into getting them.

I'd like a lot if things that I can't have due to price. It doesn't mean I spend hours dreaming up ways to scam my way into getting them.

QUOTE]

I guess that is good for you, but that doesn't address the problem. Now back to the real discussion.

Burt

QUOTE]

I guess that is good for you, but that doesn't address the problem. Now back to the real discussion.

Burt

Actually it does address the problem. I'll spell it out for you. Follow the rules. If you don't like the rules, take a different cruise. If you can't afford a different cruise, find a type of vacation you can afford.

I don't see why that is such a difficult concept to understand.

Sounds like they are addicted lol. Again, rules are in place for a reason. We teach our kids to follow rules so we should too no matter if you agree with the rules or not.

Ah, follow the rules. It's risky to self-rightous in public because nobody follows all the rules and somebody is always watching.

Burt

I am a rule follower. It's too bad so many others have no moral compass.

I am a rule follower. It's too bad so many others have no moral compass.

I feel I have a pretty good moral compass...but that does not mean I follow all the rules.

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will follow it"...interestingly enough I read that over the urinal on my last Celebrity cruise, and no it was not grafitti it was part of the ship's decor.

Anyway we can agree to disagree.

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will follow it"...interestingly enough I read that over the urinal on my last Celebrity cruise, and no it was not grafitti it was part of the ship's decor...
That's what happens when you hire Henry David Thoreau as your interior decorator:D

if putting alcohol in a few bags and putting them in your luggage is a hassle, then i understand why you would spend $50 x however many days the cruise is.

I enjoy having drinks in the public areas and trying to sneak alcohol in the dining room or a bar would detract from the enjoyment. $50 per day is not a lot for being able to have a drink whenever you want. If I've already paid for all the drinks I want, I would prefer to take a drink from a bar to my room. It's not that I pay the $50 just to avoid the trouble of sneaking it in. It's that I have the package, anyway, so why bother with bringing my own.

Sounds like they are addicted lol. Again, rules are in place for a reason. We teach our kids to follow rules so we should too no matter if you agree with the rules or not.

Businesses can make any rule they want. That doesn't mean all their customers are going to follow it.

<snip>

I wonder if there's a way to stop messages from this thread from coming to my email box without blocking all messages from Cruise Critic.

Go to Thread Tools and click Unsubscribe from this thread - or do it through your UserCP and click Unsubscribe under the offending thread.