Sneaking alcohol on board cruise ships!

I want them to follow my rules; I expect them to find ways around them.

Good point, Traveler Thom. A rule established by a business is not quite the same as one established by a parent. Businesses establish rules to promote their own profit. Parents are supposed to establish rules based on what is good for the child.

I thought I unsubscribed to this thread.

@ Sharon1225

I wonder if there's a way to stop messages from this thread from coming to my email box without blocking all messages from Cruise Critic.

Near the top of any page in the thread, find the drop-down labelled Thread Tools, choose Unsubscribe from this thread.

"Passenger further agrees that Carrier may prohibit or restrict Passenger from bringing any alcoholic beverages for consumption onboard the Vessel and agrees to comply with any Carrier policy covering such matters."

That's from the RCI Cruise Ticket Contract. I assume other lines have the same wording. I accepted these rules when I agreed to the contract. If you disagree, don't sign it. Doesn't matter if the rule is stupid, counterproductive, unenforceable, or whatever argument you want to use to justify breaking it. You accepted the contract. Maybe your word means nothing to you, mine does to me.

I'll admit that the fact that these rules are broken has absolutely no effect on me, doesn't diminish my cruise experience even a little bit. I just think it's wrong.

"Passenger further agrees that Carrier may prohibit or restrict Passenger from bringing any alcoholic beverages for consumption onboard the Vessel and agrees to comply with any Carrier policy covering such matters."

That's from the RCI Cruise Ticket Contract. I assume other lines have the same wording. I accepted these rules when I agreed to the contract. If you disagree, don't sign it. Doesn't matter if the rule is stupid, counterproductive, unenforceable, or whatever argument you want to use to justify breaking it. You accepted the contract. Maybe your word means nothing to you, mine does to me.

I'll admit that the fact that these rules are broken has absolutely no effect on me, doesn't diminish my cruise experience even a little bit. I just think it's wrong.

I agree. I just don't think it's right that I follow the rules and pay like I'm supposed to while others come up with schemes and plots to get their alcohol on board the ship without paying. Doesn't hurt or effect my trip in any way, but it's not fair to the paying customers.

I do not drink at all, and my wife would probably drink two glasses of wine an entire cruise, so I have no need to smuggle alcohol onboard. So from my viewpoint, I fail to see the need to have a large quantity of cheap alcohol available to you.

OTOH, if the soda package were more expensive, I might smuggle soda onboard.

Everyone has their vice.

The folks smuggling a couple of runners are not going to that trouble to smuggle cheap booze.

the reality is that one never runs into these holier-than-thou folks from CC on a cruise.. I suspect they stay in their rooms way up top and have their butlers go out among the normal people.

Nah, they sit in the bar with the drinks they pay for.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

the reality is that one never runs into these holier-than-thou folks from CC on a cruise.. I suspect they stay in their rooms way up top and have their butlers go out among the normal people.

Lol I'm holier than thou because I follow the rules?? I was raised to be a rule follower and my parents followed the rules. Blame then it's their fault for modeling it

Interesting that a negative: "holier than thou" gets applied to someone who simply expresses lack of enthusiasm for cheating. I acknowledge that other people's decisions about whether they are entitled to cheat a cruise line by reneging on an implicit term of passage is not really my business. However, when they boast of their expertise, or publicly attempt to justify their approach, on threads such as this they are inviting comment. They are not then entitled to take pot shots at those who do comment.

interesting that a negative: "holier than thou" gets applied to someone who simply expresses lack of enthusiasm for cheating. I acknowledge that other people's decisions about whether they are entitled to cheat a cruise line by reneging on an implicit term of passage is not really my business. However, when they boast of their expertise, or publicly attempt to justify their approach, on threads such as this they are inviting comment. They are not then entitled to take pot shots at those who do comment.

npd. ;)

Now, I'm no lawyer, but I have seen them played on TV but it doesn't say that they DO prohibit or restrict it, just says that they MAY. Sounds discretionary on the part of the cruise line (this one at least). So if you do bring alcohol with you, you are technically not violating their rule, provided you accept that they might take it away.

Just to stir the pot some....have you guys ever gone faster than the posted speed limit or ever done a rolling stop at a stop sign? :D

Now, I'm no lawyer, but I have seen them played on TV but it doesn't say that they DO prohibit or restrict it, just says that they MAY. Sounds discretionary on the part of the cruise line (this one at least). So if you do bring alcohol with you, you are technically not violating their rule, provided you accept that they might take it away.

Just to stir the pot some....have you guys ever gone faster than the posted speed limit or ever done a rolling stop at a stop sign? :D

This thread's topic deals with sneaking alcohol aboard ship. I think your question might be more logically asked on a thread dealing with traffic violations.

Now, I'm no lawyer, but I have seen them played on TV but it doesn't say that they DO prohibit or restrict it, just says that they MAY. Sounds discretionary on the part of the cruise line (this one at least). So if you do bring alcohol with you, you are technically not violating their rule, provided you accept that they might take it away..........:D

Perry Mason you're not. From the RCI Guest Conduct Policy:

"Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of

embarkation day when guests are permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2)

bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per stateroom."

No exception for the guest's convenience, no exception if you think it's a stupid rule. I really don't care if you want to smuggle alcohol on board. Just don't tell me that it is right or justified.

Perry Mason you're not. From the RCI Guest Conduct Policy:

"Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard; with the exception of

embarkation day when guests are permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2)

bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per stateroom."

No exception for the guest's convenience, no exception if you think it's a stupid rule. I really don't care if you want to smuggle alcohol on board. Just don't tell me that it is right or justified.

Trying to justify being cheap! Taking away from the tips of the bartenders by smuggling your own alcohol on board.

"There's nothing cute or funny or lovable about being cheap. It's a total turn-off."

-Douglas Coupland

Taking liquor on board is not against the law, it is against corporate policy on some cruise lines. The penalty if you decide to do this is they will take your liquor and from what I understand they even give your liquor back to you at the end of your cruise if it is in original bottle. I am more than willing to bring liquor on a cruise and take this so called risk. I have never had an issue bringing liquor on the ship and have always been able to have drinks in my cabin when I wanted with no issue.

Understanding rules and understanding the consequences if you break the rules is very important to know. I follow most rules but I am much to smart to follow every rule society has placed upon me.

“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”

― Pablo Picasso

... I follow most rules but I am much to smart to follow every rule society has placed upon me.

So, you're "much to[sic] smart to follow every rule society has placed" on you. Oh please, you're not Rosa Parks lol! It's not a societal rule, it's a contract that you agreed to, at least on RCI. You just evidently see no value in keeping your word or living up to a contract. But, if it makes you feel better to think it's because you're too smart, well.....

Taking liquor on board is not against the law, it is against corporate policy on some cruise lines. The penalty if you decide to do this is they will take your liquor and from what I understand they even give your liquor back to you at the end of your cruise if it is in original bottle. I am more than willing to bring liquor on a cruise and take this so called risk. I have never had an issue bringing liquor on the ship and have always been able to have drinks in my cabin when I wanted with no issue.

Understanding rules and understanding the consequences if you break the rules is very important to know. I follow most rules but I am much to smart to follow every rule society has placed upon me.

“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”

Pablo Picasso

Picasso was an artist not a cheapskate!