Duct tape...

pbnjrockette

Hmm.....the last thing we want is for that tape to end up floating in the ocean. We will test it at home and come up with an alternative if necessary. Thnx for the info!

Why not try wrapping them with waterproof medical tape and use bright colored Sharpies to decorate the tape. Might do the trick. :)

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Can't recall using it on a cruise, but as a frequent business traveler, I always carry about 2' of black gorilla tape wrapped around a gift card in a side pocket in my purse.

Uses that come to mind - wearing my old comfy boots to Colorado - freak snow storm hit and old comfy reliable got a small hole in the sole - not good but tape got me through the trip and back home to the cobbler.

Another trip, had a jacket with metal eyelets holding braiding on the sleeve - one eyelet popped off - duct tape held it back on.

You just never know - and it takes up almost no room so why not be prepared?

(Also comes in handy for annoying coworkers during meetings!)

We don't bring along duct tape (which is not really the best practice for sealing duct joints -- especially dryer venting or cooking hood venting). We don't bring hi-liters, alarm clocks, shoe racks, hangers, power strips, decorative holiday lights, lava lamps, or any of the other paraphernalia mentioned in some of the must have lists. Haven't missed any of this stuff.

I once took the "recognizable" strips off our big suitcase and stuck them down on a slick marble bathroom floor (NOT on a cruise ship!) -- to help the older lady we were traveling with avoid slipping and falling. Left it there until we were leaving.

ETA haven't seen the penguins but I rather like the bright "paint spatter" pattern tape Michael's has or had. That might be my next personalization (right now it's purple, on black and silver hardshell cases).

Edited by crystalspin

I have done a lot of traveling. Never took it; never needed it. If you look at the multi-hundred post lists of must bring junk, the same thing can be said almost every ting on the lists. There is one list out there that hat last count had more than 600 posts.

DON

This past cruise was the first time I ever heard of taking duct tape (here on cc). Thought it was silly but took it anyways. Well, I ended up using that stuff like crazy- taping luggage tags & suitcases; labels; ankle wrap; wheelchair adjusting; towels to chairs on our balcony...who knew?

If I have a drawer that won't stay shut, I'm going to call for someone to come fix it, not try to cob job a solution myself.

At least on our last two ships there were catches that kept the drawers from sliding around and doors from opening. I would assume they would be on all ships, but I guess not. Instead of duct tape, why not bring along those felt dots so that the drawers don't bang? Duct tape leaves as sticky residue but the dots could just be left in place.

In 1957 I crossed the North Atlantic on a Japanize freighter, very small compared to ships today, with no stabilizers. The dishes all had curved edges so liquids could not spill and peas could not roll off the plate (they rolled very well the 2nd night out. Never had a drawer bang. Passenger capacity was 12, but we only had 11 on board.

Does anyone remember the chimes to announce mealtime? We had a boy who played them outside the cabin for breakfast, and the other meals if anyone was in their cabin. Each meal had a different tune.

We don't bring along duct tape (which is not really the best practice for sealing duct joints -- especially dryer venting or cooking hood venting). We don't bring hi-liters, alarm clocks, shoe racks, hangers, power strips, decorative holiday lights, lava lamps, or any of the other paraphernalia mentioned in some of the must have lists. Haven't missed any of this stuff.

Yup. There is special metallic tape for that. Duct tape loses it's stick when exposed to wet or damp conditions.

I do like a hi-liter for marking things I don't want to forget about on the daily activities sheet. It takes no room to pack. I forgot the hi-liter on my last cruise and did miss having it. I also bring a pad of sticky notes and a small travel alarm clock, as I often wake up during the night and like to see what time it is without having to turn in the TV or make a phone call. I take that pretty much everywhere I travel to, as well as a small LED flashlight which sits by my bed in case of emergency.

I hope no one is bringing a lava lamp, they get not enough to start a fire if knocked kver, and are very unstable!

I have never taken duct tape and never needed it. I use a regular pen to circle my activities and keep my watch handy for looking at the time. I get up usually once a night to use the bathroom. I leave the light on and close the door without latching it, so I can see where I'm going and look at my watch. I don't like the tepid tap water so I pour water/ice into a bathroom tumbler before I go to bed to keep it handy for later. It stays cold enough all night.

I do take anti-wrinkle spray, even though I don't need it much. I have Tide-to-Go, which doesn't take out all stains, but helps at times.

Yup. There is special metallic tape for that. Duct tape loses it's stick when exposed to wet or damp conditions.

I do like a hi-liter for marking things I don't want to forget about on the daily activities sheet. It takes no room to pack. I forgot the hi-liter on my last cruise and did miss having it. I also bring a pad of sticky notes and a small travel alarm clock, as I often wake up during the night and like to see what time it is without having to turn in the TV or make a phone call. I take that pretty much everywhere I travel to, as well as a small LED flashlight which sits by my bed in case of emergency.

I hope no one is bringing a lava lamp, they get not enough to start a fire if knocked kver, and are very unstable!

I look at my watch, don't need a separate alarm clock. Every ship has a wake up call service. If I want to attend the port lecture at 9am, then I will. Don't need to use a hi-liter. If I forget, then I guess it wasn't that important.

Mentioning the Lava Lamp was just seeing if you are paying attention:)

I look at my watch, don't need a separate alarm clock. Every ship has a wake up call service. If I want to attend the port lecture at 9am, then I will. Don't need to use a hi-liter. If I forget, then I guess it wasn't that important.

Mentioning the Lava Lamp was just seeing if you are paying attention:)

I don't wear a watch. If I wake up during the night, I want to know what time it is. I don't want to disturb my husband by turning on the TV or making a phone call. So I bring my travel clock which is about the size and weight of a small box of matches.

I bring full size toiletries since I drive to the port. I used packaging tape on the lids of bottles to help ensure they stay closed inside the luggage. I then place those bottles into large zip locks. So far nothing has ever opened. Don't want a bag ruined by an exploded bottle of shampoo.