Aqua Class - Not what it used to be

Take5

While we did have the tea and water in each of our AQ cabins, what we didn't receive were refills of the bathroom amenities once we used them up. From leaving notes, along with the empty bottles on the desk, to speaking with guest relations, didn't change the situation. My sister begn to wonder if cabin stewards got bonuses if they gave out the fewest bottles.

Was this on Equinox, Darcie? Mine left refills on the Feb 10 cruise even when I hadn't opened them!

DH and I were on this same cruise. It was the second leg of a back to back. During the first cruise we received as much bottled water as we wanted. It was replenished daily without our asking for it. Near the end of this first cruise, our cabin attendant advised us that on the cruise departing January 10 only two bottles of water would be provided for the whole cruise.

We have been taken care of on previous cruises by this individual so he took care of us by putting more than a case of water in our closet at the end of the first cruise. The two bottle policy did indeed go into effect on the January 10 cruise but did not last long. According to our stateroom attendant, so many Aqua Class passengers complained that the policy was revoked on the second day.

DH and I were on this same cruise. It was the second leg of a back to back. During the first cruise we received as much bottled water as we wanted. It was replenished daily without our asking for it. Near the end of this first cruise, our cabin attendant advised us that on the cruise departing January 10 only two bottles of water would be provided for the whole cruise.

We have been taken care of on previous cruises by this individual so he took care of us by putting more than a case of water in our closet at the end of the first cruise. The two bottle policy did indeed go into effect on the January 10 cruise but did not last long. According to our stateroom attendant, so many Aqua Class passengers complained that the policy was revoked on the second day.

I started a thread about possible cut back in staff after our Feb.8 cruise on the Eclipse. The crew seemed to be spread thinner everywhere on the ship but it was especially noticeable in Blu.

Now after reading your post I'm wondering if Celebrity is experimenting with just where they can cut back and not have passengers notice.

We only commented to the Blu Maitre D' (and she insisted that wasn't the case but what was she supposed to say?) but there was a noticeable difference from our last cruise on the Solstice.

Karen - yes, the 2 girls at the reception desk at Blu where flying, and always with a smile on their face. They ran to change tableclothes and set up the dishes before seating other people. The staff also were running, as well, with smiles on their faces. Unfortunately, with all that running around, we still found the food coming out of the kitchen extremely slow and the evening sitting at Blu way too long.

we still found the food coming out of the kitchen extremely slow and the evening sitting at Blu way too long.

Interesting. Last week on Reflection we found the opposite. Once or twice we felt a bit rushed - other times we took advantage of the speed of service to get to a show. It was not inconceivable to be in and out in 45 minutes to an hour if you wished. Second formal night they were a bit overwhelmed but we were in no hurry as we had taken in the early show and as the wine poured "freely" (Premium Beverage Package) and frequently, we sat back and thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

Karen - yes, the 2 girls at the reception desk at Blu where flying, and always with a smile on their face. They ran to change tableclothes and set up the dishes before seating other people. The staff also were running, as well, with smiles on their faces. Unfortunately, with all that running around, we still found the food coming out of the kitchen extremely slow and the evening sitting at Blu way too long.

Interesting. Last week on Reflection we found the opposite. Once or twice we felt a bit rushed - other times we took advantage of the speed of service to get to a show. It was not inconceivable to be in and out in 45 minutes to an hour if you wished. Second formal night they were a bit overwhelmed but we were in no hurry as we had taken in the early show and as the wine poured "freely" (Premium Beverage Package) and frequently, we sat back and thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

It often took 45 minutes to an hour to just get the entree.

As we got off this cruise and immediately boarded another (Princess) the biggest difference to us was that sense of hectic running that Ruth commented on.

The second dinner on Princess we looked at each other and both said what a huge difference the relaxed atmosphere made.

It almost wasn't even the time dinner took. We don't usually care about how long it is - if we miss an evening activity we miss it. It was that tense atmosphere of everyone running that bothered us.

I asked the Maitre D' why extra staff wasn't sent in to help and she said she had asked but...... Then I asked the food and beverage manager (not sure if that's the correct title) and she said extra staff WAS sent in but we never saw any new faces.

(BTW- this is in direct contrast to the Solstice where every time it got the slightest bit busy you would see a new face helping out just until things calmed down.) That's why I think it's a corporate decision to cut back.

I wrote about it on the comment card and again on the email survey we received.

Edited by chamima

It often took 45 minutes to an hour to just get the entree.

It was that tense atmosphere of everyone running that bothered us.

I guess there must be wide variation from cruise to cruise? Ship to ship?

Even on the busiest night we experienced, it did not take more than about 20 minutes between our soup and main course. And as for the atmosphere, on "normal nights" we were able to have lengthy conversations with and got to know our servers and sommelier quite well - one young lady even hugged me and was genuinely emotional when it came time to say goodbye.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I apologize for not posting an update. I returned from the cruise quite ill, and am still playing catchup (it's only been 6 weeks). We did complain to the guest relations desk, and were told that the no daily bottled water policy started on the next cruise and that some of the room stewards were confused. We checked the website, and indeed bottled water was no longer listed as an amenity. From the sounds of recent posts, perhaps they rethought that decision. The daily tea was served, the requested ice was not dependable.

Regarding Blu, we found that there is a huge difference in waitstaff. The first two nights it took almost 2 hours for dinner. The next night we asked for a different section, and had must better service. From then on we asked for that waiter and all was good. The food was absolutely amazing - makes aqua class worth every penny.

I use cruise critic to research ports, tours, etc - and have since I discovered it several years ago. I don't have the time to "chat" online, and usually take specific conversations off line.

Seeing as the OP posted this two months ago, it would have been nice for them to come back and report the outcome. It's really annoying when someone posts a complaint that is obviously an error, and then either doesn't bother to get it resolved or come back on CC and let others know the outcome.

The OP was ill upon her return, per her post.

How rude to disparage the OP. and the OP was correct in what she stated, as corroborated by another poster who was on a B2B on the same sailing as OP. There were so many complaints, that two days later daily water was reinstated ,

So apparently you are the one in error.

Edited by 4cats4me

Isn't it lovely when an OP starts a thread - says something which causes confusion and then never comes back to say what the outcome was?? :confused:

She did come back and explain

Now after reading your post I'm wondering if Celebrity is experimenting with just where they can cut back and not have passengers notice.

I guess there must be wide variation from cruise to cruise? Ship to ship?

Some interesting observations on this thread.

Last year, we took a couple of B2B cruises on the Summit.

On the first cruise, we were in a suite and never received any chocolates at turndown.

We considered asking what happened to the chocolates, but decided not to say anything because we had plenty to eat and really did not need any chocolate.

So we thought it was just part of the cutbacks, the way they now provide the water pitchers and ice buckets upon request instead of giving them to you automatically the way they always did before.

On the second cruise of the B2B we were in a regular balcony cabin and we got chocolates at turndown every night. Go figure.

It sounds to us like there might have been a "communication" problem between the OP and their steward. Keep in mind that most stewards speak English as a 2nd language and sometimes there can be mis understandings due to language. The OPs post actually makes little sense since the ice tea in Aqua is not only changed daily, but they rotate among several different ice tea flavors (i.e. raspberry, orange, etc).

Hank

Isn't it lovely when an OP starts a thread - says something which causes confusion and then never comes back to say what the outcome was?? :confused:

That would be called "everyday on cruisecritic"!!!! lol

I am really getting sick of people who have no idea what they are talking about responding to threads with outlandish claims and starting threads with ridiculous claims.....

And when you call them on it they never come back......

I would never start a thread with such a "chicken little the sky is falling" title.....

I might start one saying..."I was just told X and it seems inconsistent with what I have been told in the past...is anyone else hearing this?"

But instead its these over the top broad based statement with no foundation....

We just boarded the Celebrity Equinox for a 10 day Caribbean cruise. We were originally booked in a Concierge class cabin, but upgraded to Aqua class due to the many amenities. One of which was bottled water and tea delivered daily. We were just informed by our cabin steward that the two small bottles of water and half carafe of cold tea (no ice) were all we would get for the entire cruise. Celebrity has discontinued daily bottled water with Aqua class! I know it is a small thing, but for the price of about $2 for 10 days, they have made at least one couple disappointed. It makes us wonder what is next - now we question whether Celebrity is still our cruise line of choice.

I just went on X website and still see daily bottled water and tea for AQ guests, but where are the canapes?

It sounds to us like there might have been a "communication" problem between the OP and their steward. Keep in mind that most stewards speak English as a 2nd language and sometimes there can be mis understandings due to language. The OPs post actually makes little sense since the ice tea in Aqua is not only changed daily, but they rotate among several different ice tea flavors (i.e. raspberry, orange, etc).

Hank

So Verona Gal came on and confirmed that this happened.

That would be called "everyday on cruisecritic"!!!! lol

I am really getting sick of people who have no idea what they are talking about responding to threads with outlandish claims and starting threads with ridiculous claims.....

And when you call them on it they never come back......

I would never start a thread with such a "chicken little the sky is falling" title.....

I might start one saying..."I was just told X and it seems inconsistent with what I have been told in the past...is anyone else hearing this?"

But instead its these over the top broad based statement with no foundation....

Take5 Post #33 on this thread

Update on Bottled Water post

Thank you to everyone who responded. I apologize for not posting an update. I returned from the cruise quite ill, and am still playing catchup (it's only been 6 weeks). We did complain to the guest relations desk, and were told that the no daily bottled water policy started on the next cruise and that some of the room stewards were confused. We checked the website, and indeed bottled water was no longer listed as an amenity. From the sounds of recent posts, perhaps they rethought that decision. The daily tea was served, the requested ice was not dependable.

Regarding Blu, we found that there is a huge difference in waitstaff. The first two nights it took almost 2 hours for dinner. The next night we asked for a different section, and had must better service. From then on we asked for that waiter and all was good. The food was absolutely amazing - makes aqua class worth every penny.

I use cruise critic to research ports, tours, etc - and have since I discovered it several years ago. I don't have the time to "chat" online, and usually take specific conversations off line.

(CC won't let me quote 3 posts so I copied, pasted and put Take5's latest post in italicized purple.)

The OP DID come back.

Please read ALL of the posts before you are so quick to criticize.

Edited by chamima

I just went on X website and still see daily bottled water and tea for AQ guests, but where are the canapes?

You have to look under Concierge Class. AQ gets everything the Concierge Class gets fruit, flowers,...and "Daily delivery of Afternoon Savories"

Take5 Post #33 on this thread

Update on Bottled Water post

(CC won't let me quote 3 posts so I copied, pasted and put Take5's latest post in italicized purple.)

The OP DID come back.

Hope you are recovering and don't take some of the anonymous criticisms to heart.

It seems a bit petty that bottled water would not be replenished once or twice a day ... it is not a huge expense to Celebrity. We are sailing Aqua Class in about 10 days and I will let you know how the service/amenities go. I expect to receive bottled water as part of the servicing/cleaning of the room, but since we are receiving a promotional beverage package it will not be as important for us as it was for you - we can always bring a bottle back to our room.

I enjoy a leisurely dining experience, but I think 1 1/2 hours for four courses is a generous maximum except in the most upscale of restaurants. We have paid a significant "up charge" for Aqua Class so we have set(conservatively) high expectations. I would think that Celebrity would place the more experienced stewards in the A1 and A2 categories, just as they should place the "creme de la creme" stewards in the suite categories. Although I am disappointed reading of your experience with the steward, I am hoping that he was just a bad apple rather than the norm.

Please continue your on-ship observations, both positive and negative. They can only help to improve the experience for future passengers. Celebrity representatives do monitor these boards.

johnny

• 4 weeks later...

The OP DID come back.

Actually I did read ALL of the posts before commenting. In fact I waited 2 whole months (not really as quick as you to comment). The OP still had not responded when I wrote my comment. So I feel it is perfectly reasonable to make a comment - sorry if you feel that is not appropriate!

Somewhat on topic: We are sailing on Reflection in an AQ Suite next week. Will they bring Pellegrino upon request?

Hi, you mean to your cabin? They will bring it but there will be a charge

for it. Pellegrino is not complimentary and is not included in AQ either.