Favorite St. Martin and St. Thomas Shore Excursions?

DorothyMantooth

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

We're planning to cruise this year on Freedom of the Seas with our kids (both of whom will be under 12 at the time of the cruise).

Our family is definitely interested in what the shore excursions have to offer. The beach is great, but we'll want to either see a little more of the islands or "do" something in addition to putting our toes in the sand.

I've been researching some of the shore excursions, and some of the activities that sounded good to me had some not-so-great reviews.

So, I thought I'd ask here: what are your favorite shore excursions in St. Martin and St. Thomas and why?

Thanks!

We're planning to cruise this year on Freedom of the Seas with our kids (both of whom will be under 12 at the time of the cruise).

Our family is definitely interested in what the shore excursions have to offer. The beach is great, but we'll want to either see a little more of the islands or "do" something in addition to putting our toes in the sand.

I've been researching some of the shore excursions, and some of the activities that sounded good to me had some not-so-great reviews.

So, I thought I'd ask here: what are your favorite shore excursions in St. Martin and St. Thomas and why?

Thanks!

You can also rent a car at the pier for around $60 for the day and tour St.Maarten at your own pace. Just do some homework where you want to go etc. before you leave and you will be ok. Btw the cars are not the newest ones, but they have got good airconditioning..LOL

You can also rent a car at the pier for around $60 for the day and tour St.Maarten at your own pace. Just do some homework where you want to go etc. before you leave and you will be ok. Btw the cars are not the newest ones, but they have got good airconditioning..LOL

We've done this a few times as well and found it to be a good way to get to see the island. You can make stops at Orient beach, Maho, and other places along the way. There are a few national brand rental agencies to choose from as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks!

For St. Thomas my vote go's to the powercat snorkel and beach excursion. My family had a complete blast on it. Many fun memories.

Basically they take you on a powercat speed boat to a reef, give you snorkeling gear with instructions. You snorkel along a coral reef. It's totally awesome. Following that, they take you to a private beach where you can snorkel more, or do beach activities. The boats big. It has bathrooms and a tiki bar. I think the pirate ship is the same company. They both advertise swim with turtles. The turtles were fun, but I think they tell you that so you don't go as much to the real treasure which is the coral reefs, just off the side. There are a few turtles, but don't get caught up in that, go to the reefs. There is another offered by RCI, a sunken ship snorkel. That's not the one we went on.

Snacks and cold beverages are included. Beer, rum punch, soda and water. They are generous with it too.

We have great pictures of the kids driving the boat ( the captain was right there), and it really becomes a blast driving back. Music and laughter.

We are definitely planning another trip with them.

If you go, I don't think you will be sorry.

There will still be time before to check out St. Thomas before the excursion.

St. Marteen- I would either go to a private beach or stay on the Dutch side. The French side is dirty, and there's really nothing there.

There are fun shops and a beach right there, that was fun because there was so much going on around you.

We love both St Thomas and Marteen.

Clarification: at the time of our cruise doing those excursions, our kids were under 12.

Edited by DreamingBig1
Addition

Maho Beach on St Marten is a must if you've not been there before. Take lots of cash as some of the restaurants and gas stations don't take CC. I think the Sunset beach bar takes them but this last trip we didn't go there and had to pay cash at the restaurant and gas station.

This last trip on St. Thomas we took an excursion to Trunk Bay for snorkelling, it was great. (Booked it through the ship) Our first trip to St. Thomas we went to Megan's Bay, it's beautiful but personally I think over rated, just my opinion

http://cruie2013.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by krev

We love Maho beach too!!! In fact we are going back again in a few weeks just to sit at Sunset bar and watch the planes. If you have not heard of the planes at Maho beach google it. THey are definitely something to see.

I did an island tour of St Maarten which was lovely - got to see a lot. Was not the original trip we had planned but the original excursion got cancelled and this is what they offered - was great to see so much of the island though. On our next trip we are doing the Seaworld Explorer (cancelled part of last trip) and going to Maho beach for the afternoon.

Personally, I was not keen on St Thomas. I found the excursion dis-organised and our guide left our group at Magen's Bay, disappeared and was over an hour late picking us up. I am sure this was an isolated incident though. On this next trip, we are going over to St John as we hear it is absolutely gorgeous over there and definitely worth the trip.

Maho Beach on St Marten is a must if you've not been there before. Take lots of cash as some of the restaurants and gas stations don't take CC. I think the Sunset beach bar takes them but this last trip we didn't go there and had to pay cash at the restaurant and gas station.

This last trip on St. Thomas we took an excursion to Trunk Bay for snorkelling, it was great. (Booked it through the ship) Our first trip to St. Thomas we went to Megan's Bay, it's beautiful but personally I think over rated, just my opinion

http://cruie2013.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Am I correct in thinking that Trunk Bay is in St John? I agree with you about Magen's Bay - we went there November 2012 and found it crowded and nothing more than a normal beach.

We love Maho beach too!!! In fact we are going back again in a few weeks just to sit at Sunset bar and watch the planes. If you have not heard of the planes at Maho beach google it. THey are definitely something to see.

Make sure when you take some pictures and let us know how you got on when you get back!

St. Thomas- We love anything involving St. John. It is gorgeous.

St. Maarten- I think our all time favorite excursion is the Captain Morgan sailing adventure. You sail around and see the island, stop to snorkel, and end with some beach time before sailing back to the ship.

We did it and my husband chose to help with the sails - hard work. Exciting and fun, though.

We did a wonderful catamaran snorkel trip on St. Thomas that had drinks and a very nice lunch included.

Totally agree! The yacht racing was fabulous! Also have snorkeled in St. Thomas, Buck Island but the best is Trunk Bay, in St. John.

The last time we were In St Maarten, we did a trip with Bernard's tours our driver was named Sugar, nice tour of both sides of the island with a stop at Maho beach.

On a previous trip (with a party of 6) we rented a van from Hertz, did a self tour with a 2 hour stop at Maho beach, Island is easy to navigate just leave plenty of time for trip back to pier in case of traffic.

For a good assortment of activities on St. Maarten, I recommend Bernard's Tour. We got a tour of the island, time at Orient Beach (the clothed side), time in the French capital, time at Maho Beach to see the jets take off and land, and then had the option of being taken back to the ship, or dropped off in the Dutch capital for shopping and time at the beach there. (You can walk back to the ship, or take the water taxi).

Thanks!

Captain Bob Cass "The Great" is the all time best excursion on St Maarten. The lunch was awesome! Only 12/14 per boat max, drinks included ~ all day ~ see almost all of St Maarten. Check out the reviews on tripadvisordotcom

Thanks everyone! So much to think about!

Renting a car never even crossed my mind. (I feel a little foolish). And I hadn't considered booking an excursion outside of those offered by RCI (based on the one other cruising experience I had). Now I will check out any and all these options ...

More specifically, has anyone done a dolphin experience/swim with the dolphins at either of these ports? My kids would LOVE that. However, the reviews for this excursion (on the RCI site) were not so great. It seems that while the experience is okay, it is a long trip/hassle to get to it ...

Thanks again!

traffic in St Maarten is horrible. You may not make it back in time if you don't plan for this. I would'nt if this is your 1st time there

traffic in St Maarten is horrible. You may not make it back in time if you don't plan for this. I would'nt if this is your 1st time there. But Maho beach is a must.

Thanks everyone! So much to think about!

Renting a car never even crossed my mind. (I feel a little foolish). And I hadn't considered booking an excursion outside of those offered by RCI (based on the one other cruising experience I had). Now I will check out any and all these options ...

More specifically, has anyone done a dolphin experience/swim with the dolphins at either of these ports? My kids would LOVE that. However, the reviews for this excursion (on the RCI site) were not so great. It seems that while the experience is okay, it is a long trip/hassle to get to it ...

Thanks again!

Personally, I would do other things in St. Thomas and St. Martin rather than the dolphin excursions, primarily due to the logistics of the trip. If you've been several times, then I would consider it as an option.

That said, we swam with the dolphins in Nassau at Blue Lagoon and absolutely loved it! If you go to Nassau, that might be an option for that port.

Maho Beach is the best! Your kids would love it. It's not the type of beach to lay down and relax but watching all the planes coming in and taking off so close to you is such fun to watch. There is a bar and grill on the beach where you can seat yourself, have lunch and and watch the planes. Give yourself plenty of time to get back because I hear there's lots of traffic with the bridge opening. We headed back by 2:00 before the bridge opens and was back on the ship by 2:30. We got a bus in town for $2.00 per person each way and got dropped off right at the beach. We returned by bus also.

Edited by lauren0309

Captain Bob Cass "The Great" is the all time best excursion on St Maarten. The lunch was awesome! Only 12/14 per boat max, drinks included ~ all day ~ see almost all of St Maarten. Check out the reviews on tripadvisordotcom

We will be with Bob Cass when we go to St Maarten in March. I have heard excellent things from my friends regarding this excursion.

We will be with Bob Cass when we go to St Maarten in March. I have heard excellent things from my friends regarding this excursion.

Here's another vote for Captain Bob! His excursion was sooooo much fun! I have a review posted to TripAdvisor if you're interested:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147347-d2083816-r156717122-Soualiga_Destinations-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html#REVIEWS

Also, when we go to St. Thomas we always take the ferry over to St. John and spend the day at Trunk Bay. It is beautiful!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DITTO !!!! We had a great afternoon. We scheduled a "tour" in St Maarten to Moho Beach to go to the Sunset Bar & Grill with Bernard (google his company in St Maarten or on Trip Advisor) so we did not have to worry about driving or finding cabs. Sat at a table on the outside deck, drank Carib Beer and devoured the best dolphin sandwich I've ever had!!:D

In St Thomas, we went with Capt Mike and Fury Charters to snorkel with sea turtles. Small group, lovely sailboat ride, extremely professional crew, and great snorkeling! Definitely our best St Thomas excursion to date!

The beaches on St Maarten are among the most beautiful in the Caribbean! If you love beach days, there are many to choose from.

Have fun on your cruise!

We did the turtle bay/honeymoon beach snorkel trip in St. Thomas. It was on a pirate ship and it was a blast. The weather was bad that day so turtle bay was not going to happen, they took us to a shipwreck which was pretty cool.