Bringing alcohol onboard - seeking clarity

DISNEY GIRL

You must be in a fancy suite if it comes with a maid who makes you cocktails. Impressive. ;)

Oh, lord. And in a magazine editor by trade! We'll file this one under "wishful thinking."

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Hello there - hubby and I love our G&Ts on our balcony, so generally bring a bottle of gin on board for our cabin use only. So I'm a little disappointed to learn that NCL have the no alcohol to be brought on-board policy. Do they actually scan all suitcases on arrival checking for alcohol, or do they just check your bags when you return from a port?

Depends on which port, some are not a problem bringing stuff on.

In Europe it has rarely been an issue getting stuff on a ship most disembarkations the port does the security so no on board scan of the carry on.

We had a bottle of rum left over from a transatlantic(RCI) and then jumped on the Jewel, Miami, no one bothered, bottle was in the carry on.

Does one pay the corkage fee if the wine is drunk in the cabin?

Yes, the corkage fee is a fee to compensate lost revenue for the cruise line, not a fee for actual uncorking (even though if you give the sticker to a member of the crew, they'll get a cut).

Does one pay the corkage fee if the wine is drunk in the cabin?
In principle, yes. You're supposed to pay corkage on every bottle you bring onto the ship. But many people have reported bringing their wine on board (not smuggling) and not being required to pay corkage immediately. In that case, you can get away with only paying corkage on bottles consumed in the dining rooms and restaurants.

You can pre-order bar set up, Gin available is:

Beefeater$83 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire$103 1 Ltr

You get 3 mixers and 3 "garnishes" per bottle with that.

You can buy the bottle of gin on board, the brands listed last month on the Star were

Bombay Sapphire$100+15% gratuity 1 Ltr

TRU Organic $120+15% gratuity 1 Ltr

There were no 'house' brands listed! Seems odd.

On board it said 6 mixers per bottle, no garnishes.

Those prices may take your breath away but they are a bit more than half of buying the same liquor by the 1.5oz jigger for US$5.75/6.25/6.75 respectively, and convenient to your cabin.

The pre-order e-mail for the Star was GroupEventStar@ncl.com

So I guess yours would be GroupEvent[ship's name]@ncl.com

The pre-order bar set up, are the bottles in your room or kept at the bar? Also, is this for any cabin or only suites? We're in a balcony. Thx for any info.

The pre-order bar set up, are the bottles in your room or kept at the bar? Also, is this for any cabin or only suites? We're in a balcony. Thx for any info.

Delivered to the cabin and available for all cabins.

So unless you can sneak by or bring some $5 plonk, buying on board is basically a wash at $25 a bottle.

Not really, if you buy any bottle of reasonable quality wine at say $50 to $100 per bottle and pay the corkage you will be well ahead compared to similar wines bought on board. :p

@ JacqueOCS

As Demonyte answered: In your cabin, and any category of stateroom. We were also balcony. The bottles were in the top drawer of the vanity/dresser (i.e. below the fridge), which led to concern for a minute or two!

You go to any bar to pick up your choice of mixers/garnishes. Presume it is linked through your SAS card that you have it coming. Someone had to fetch our strawberries! as I'm not sure they are that common as a garnish at every bar. You can move the minibar stuff from the fridge to an empty top shelf if you have one... or have the steward just take it away.

Edited by crystalspin

...and that somehow makes it okay to knowingly disregard their rules, that you agreed to when purchasing your ticket?

Agreement is in the eye of the beholder.

I get that NCL wants to make money from my drinking. Makes sense. Cool.

And I get that people should follow the rules. The rules in this case are so that NCL makes money. Nothing else. Nothing.

So, for those that get on their high horse and say "smugglers" are stealing from NCL, I ask this: What about those people that do not buy any drinks at all from NCL?

Hmmmm.....

Agreement is in the eye of the beholder.

I get that NCL wants to make money from my drinking. Makes sense. Cool.

And I get that people should follow the rules. The rules in this case are so that NCL makes money. Nothing else. Nothing.

So, for those that get on their high horse and say "smugglers" are stealing from NCL, I ask this: What about those people that do not buy any drinks at all from NCL?

Hmmmm.....

Actually, one of the reasons for the alcohol policy is so the ship can maintain a bit of control over drinking and ensuing behavior. It ain't only a money issue.

Actually, one of the reasons for the alcohol policy is so the ship can maintain a bit of control over drinking and ensuing behavior. It ain't only a money issue.

Maybe. Maybe not.

After all,

One can bring a case of wine aboard and take to room. Or buy lots of bottles and have in the room. Depending on one's status, they may easily have 2-3 bottles of sparkling wine in their room on arrival.

One can buy multiple "buckets of beer" and take to cabin.

One can order bar setup and drink in room or wherever.

Edited by garycarla

And you think NCL would figure out who they are by reading this board?

With some posters detailed cruise history and home location it should not be too difficult - whether it is worth it to NCL for $15 a bottle - who knows?

They were talking about spirits, not wine. ;):rolleyes::cool::eek: