Clocks in rooms

maggiekoolcruiser

To the best of my knowledge, clocks are only in the Neptune and PS suites, so not in OV. BUT the time is also on the phone in the room.

They always put a note in your room the night before the time change - "just a gentle reminder" underneath the chocolates. The clocks, telephone all change automatically.

There usually a reminder on the PA and the daily paper usually has a reminder of the time change as well.

We did not have a clock in our room on the Westerdam. I used my husbands nice watch with glowing hands to check the time during the night. One night I woke up, checked the time, woke my husband up and told him it was 6:40am and our breakfast would be there any minute. He got cranky when he got up and realized I held his watch upside down. It was only 12:10am...

I highly recommend bringing an alarm clock. :D

Edited by Guinness1000

We travel with a Travel Companion Radio Controlled Alarm Clock, LED Flashlight, Thermometer--you can find it on Ebay. I wouldn't be without it--light, small, and easy to use.

The thermometer came in handy on recent cruise when we had A/C issues in the room. I took photos documenting the problem and showed them to the front desk. It later helped my case when I complained to Seattle about the way the problem was(not) handled on board.

Just a warning. We had a clock on the wall in our Neptune suite on the Zuiderdam. There were many time changes as we crisscrossed back and forth, BUT the clock in the room often didn't change when the time did. It might be much later in the afternoon or even the following morning (i.e., 24 hours later).

FYI - depending on the cruise they normally change the time at 2am but on sea days we have also had them change the time (turning forward) at 2pm which means you lose an hour of activitiy time that afternoon.

We have had that happen as well -- especially on Hawaiian cruises and I wish I could remember the other one.

If you do choose to bring a clock, make sure it operates on batteries, or is a wind-up clock, and not one that is plugged in.

The current is alternating, so plugged in clocks won't keep accurate time (I think that's the reason; the result is correct).

We have a travel alarm clock for each side of the bed.

The wall clocks in the PS and Neptune Suites can not be used as an alarm clock as there is no function for an alarm.

Good to note the wall clocks cannot be read in the dark.

The current is alternating, so plugged in clocks won't keep accurate time (I think that's the reason; the result is correct).

The ship power is 50 Hz (cycles per second) a.c., so clocks with motors designed for 60 Hz US power will run 16.7% slow. Plug-in electronic (no motor) digital clocks will work fine.

edit: some older electronic clocks may be designed for 60 Hz only. Check the label on the bottom.

Edited by jtl513