Navigator worries

Clinching

Hi. We are taking the Navigator Miami-Miami Jan.24th. We are both excited and apprehensive. Negative comments about Navigator 's performance in rough conditions are worrying. Can anyone tell me if it is the norm to experience rough seas on the Eastern Carribean route? It seems to be the opinion that seas tend to be particularly rough around Miami? We have a balcony cabin mid-ship on deck 6. We are taking this our second cruise because our first experience in September 2013 on Oceania Nautica was truly memorable. We met really nice people, experienced some amazing destinations. The food, staff, cabin etc. was just great. We had one rough night at sea when my husband suffered, after which he took seasickness pills and was o.k. Although that was our only really rough sea. I'm really hoping our experience of The Navigator will be as enjoyable.perhaps we should have stayed with Oceania? Any comments welcome. Thanks.

Hi. We are taking the Navigator Miami-Miami Jan.24th. We are both excited and apprehensive. Negative comments about Navigator 's performance in rough conditions are worrying. Can anyone tell me if it is the norm to experience rough seas on the Eastern Carribean route? It seems to be the opinion that seas tend to be particularly rough around Miami? We have a balcony cabin mid-ship on deck 6. We are taking this our second cruise because our first experience in September 2013 on Oceania Nautica was truly memorable. We met really nice people, experienced some amazing destinations. The food, staff, cabin etc. was just great. We had one rough night at sea when my husband suffered, after which he took seasickness pills and was o.k. Although that was our only really rough sea. I'm really hoping our experience of The Navigator will be as enjoyable.perhaps we should have stayed with Oceania? Any comments welcome. Thanks.

Other than the known vibration in the aft end which can be forgotten by having a suite forward of the aft elevators, Navigator is no worse in my opinion than any of the other many ships we have cruised on. Conditions can range from dead calm to high seas wherever you cruise.

My DW and I took the Navigator from Alaska to China across the Pacific in late September and only remember one day/nite where people had any issues. Navigator is not much smaller than the Oceania R ships you are familiar with and should ride whatever waves you have close to the same. No way to predict what the weather will be for your cruise and know that cruise lines go out of the way to avoid bad weather and high seas.

If you like the all inclusive of Regent you will have a wonderful time. Only negatives are the home office and certain Destinations people however, the home office people are very similar to the O home office people and attitudes. Hope you have a wonderful cruise and this somewhat gets rid of your fears.

I wouldn't worry too much. Yes, it's a small ship, and can get bouncy. But your cabin is ideally situated. Yes, you might have a rough day or night. But that can happen on any ship. I've been through that area a couple of times, once on little Navigator when the weather was quite choppy, and once on bigger Voyager when there were lots of swells. Strangely enough I was only ill on the latter, more stable ship. So just bring along the meds and prepare to use them if required. I take the chewable Bonine, so even if you don't feel good, you can get the pill down.

You will be fine. If I can make this the strongest opinion that I have made in over 10,000 posts, I firmly believe that the Navigator has difficulty with rough seas and there is absolutely, 100% an aft vibration.

She is a beautiful ship with better cabins than the Mariner. However, she is simply too small for us and we need a bit more stability in terms of not getting seasick on a ship.

Clinching, be prepared for anything. Last week we experienced wind at 62 KTS and 16 foot swells. Not conditions we were expecting. Forward suites 6 had water coming in around deck doors from waves. For safety the elevators and LaVeranda were shut down and passengers were asked to remain in suite for the day. Roatan was missed and most excursions in Belize were cancelled. Did the Navigator manage through? Yes, but it was quite a ride. Wishing you calm Caribbean seas.

Clinching, be prepared for anything. Last week we experienced wind at 62 KTS and 16 foot swells. Not conditions we were expecting. Forward suites 6 had water coming in around deck doors from waves. For safety the elevators and LaVeranda were shut down and passengers were asked to remain in suite for the day. Roatan was missed and most excursions in Belize were cancelled. Did the Navigator manage through? Yes, but it was quite a ride. Wishing you calm Caribbean seas.

We were on this same cruise, forward on deck 7 in 713. Being 1 deck higher, we did not have any water coming thru the verandah door. We just took a Dramamine and slept thru the rough stuff. When we woke up around 3pm it was mostly over. Would we sail her again? In a heartbeat...though our next Regent trip will be on the Voyager next March from Tokyo. CÀN'T wait!

We spent 28 days on Navigator from Cape Town, South Africa, across the Atlantic to FLL with NO discomfort - enjoyed every moment of the cruise! The standard cabins are larger than Mariner's , which we liked.

I don't remember what deck we were on but I usually try to get low and amidship.

We've been on much smaller ships rounding the Horn and Drake passage between Argentina and Antarctica without any problems.

Edited by TedC

We have been on the navigator twice and have had great times. If it is rocking and rolling some at bedtime I just take a Dramamine for safety and go to sleep. Never had a problem and we are usually on 10. We will be on her again in a few weeks😀.

Have to laugh a bit about the different opinions regarding the Navigator's stability in rough seas and what you may or may not feel. This is so subjective. Ten years ago we felt seasick when boarding a restaurant/boat that was permanently attached to the pier. Some people are like that. Since then, we have sailed the Bering Sea on a ship the size of the Navigator with no problems.

Also, you cannot compare one ship with another. All three Regent ships have a different feel and react differently....... not only because they are different ships but because they may be in the same part of the ocean as someone else was in but the Captain is going slower or faster or the waves or higher or ?????

I would not worry about the Navigator (or any other ship) but certainly be prepared -- just in case the seas are a bit rough:D

Edited by Travelcat2

This is crazy, but just having gotten off the Navigator a few months ago, I never knew of nor felt a vibration aft of the ship. Every night prior to dinner, we had a couple of drinks in Galileo's. Neither I or my DH ever discussed what we didn't feel.:) Wonder why the vib affects some folks and not others....same with the Voyager. We had an aft cabin deck 10 right below LaVeranda and never felt nor heard a thing:confused:

Don't worry! You will just love your cruise and be ready to take another!!

We have many nights on Navigator

Our best cruises have been on this ship as well as our two worst cruises

There is considerable vibration in the aft portion which I believe contributes to problems with the theatre and dining above

Agree that the seas can be very, very rough in the Caribbean. As others mention, the pool is then drained and most will ride it out being seasick in their cabins

This is our experience

This is crazy, but just having gotten off the Navigator a few months ago, I never knew of nor felt a vibration aft of the ship. Every night prior to dinner, we had a couple of drinks in Galileo's. Neither I or my DH ever discussed what we didn't feel.:) Wonder why the vib affects some folks and not others....same with the Voyager. We had an aft cabin deck 10 right below LaVeranda and never felt nor heard a thing:confused:

Don't worry! You will just love your cruise and be ready to take another!!

I'm not sure what Navigator you were on but it could not have been the Regent one. It is not a matter of some people feeling the vibration more than others, it is definitely present. We even felt the "hum" while docked in port. It doesn't bother me because I grew up on an island where the only means of getting on/off was a ferry. But to say there is no vibration on the Navigator is a stretch, unless the seas were as calm as glass and the ship moving extremely slow!

I'm not sure what Navigator you were on but it could not have been the Regent one. It is not a matter of some people feeling the vibration more than others, it is definitely present. We even felt the "hum" while docked in port. It doesn't bother me because I grew up on an island where the only means of getting on/off was a ferry. But to say there is no vibration on the Navigator is a stretch, unless the seas were as calm as glass and the ship moving extremely slow!

Agree fully. It is one thing to claim it doesn't bother you but strange to deny its existence

Agree fully. It is one thing to claim it doesn't bother you but strange to deny its existence

I complained about the mediocre service and food on Navigator, however we didn't notice any unusual vibration as well. Our cabin was on 6. I thought it was only the rear cabins that were affected. Just queried DH---he didn't notice either.

I guess you can put us in the group of "strange deniers".

We''ve never noticed the vibration either--we have heard people say they feel movement-and after all it is a ship and needs to get from point A to point B. If we wanted no movement we would go to hotels! Every ship we've ever been on has ahd a vibration of some sort--you can always tell when the captain cranks the engine!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Navigator on January 24. We were on Deck 6, midship. Eastern caribbean itinerary. Absolutely no problems. Some movement at times but my wife used seasick bands and was fine. Movement does not bother me. Service was outstanding. It was a great cruise.