Any advice/suggestions/tips for using phone GPS without data?

zombiehunter

Here's what I want to do:

From the time I leave my house until getting back, I want to use one of the GPS tracking apps to track me. Obviously, if I use data on board that's going to cost me more than the GNP of several small countries. I have a GPS program that will do it but won't show me a map. I want to see myself on a map...even if it's at a giant scale.

Thoughts? I have two months to figure it out so plenty of time for trial and error.

Here's what I want to do:

From the time I leave my house until getting back, I want to use one of the GPS tracking apps to track me. Obviously, if I use data on board that's going to cost me more than the GNP of several small countries. I have a GPS program that will do it but won't show me a map. I want to see myself on a map...even if it's at a giant scale.

Thoughts? I have two months to figure it out so plenty of time for trial and error.

I know what you want to do can be done with DeLorme Street Atlas with GPS, but this is a Windows program for PCs. Perhaps the same company has something for a smart phone? The problem with many smart phone apps is that they usually want to track you too, so the app usually won't work without data.

Edited by clarea

You need to get an app that has preloaded maps that cover wherever you're going. It will be huge and take up a lot of space. I believe Garmin and TomTom make global GPS apps and there are also marine mapping apps that I've used on my iPhone in the past.

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 76. Saved a waypoint at each port call. Last cruise was a repo cruise so have WP stored for some of the ABC ports.

It is waterproof so I leave it out on the balconey all of the time we are moving.

You can see your location on the map, and you download the map data to your laptop with a USB cable , and actually overlay the data on Google Earth.

Amount of detail of Google Earth as stored on th PC is limited, but if you are online it is terrific.

I always cruise with it.

The model 76 may no longer be available , but there are newer ones available, with possibly more capability.

Edited by mo&fran

Many smart phones use "assisted GPS" that rely on cell towers as well as satellites to determine location. A typical portable GPS designed for a car will work. I've been cruising with my handheld Garmin Etrex for about 5 years... also great for flying to determine what that town or river is.

Edited by fishin' musician

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 76. Saved a waypoint at each port call. Last cruise was a repo cruise so have WP stored for some of the ABC ports.

It is waterproof so I leave it out on the balconey all of the time we are moving.

You can see your location on the map, and you download the map data to your laptop with a USB cable , and actually overlay the data on Google Earth.

Amount of detail of Google Earth as stored on th PC is limited, but if you are online it is terrific.

I always cruise with it.

The model 76 may no longer be available , but there are newer ones available, with possibly more capability.

this is the way to go.. once you have the data downloaded to your PC and you are back you can do all kinds of overlays

I always cruise with it.

For my upcoming cruise I'll be using the GPSMAP 62s. I've created a lot of waypoints beyond just ports. It too is waterproof and it will be on the balcony while we are underway. I'll supplement the internal batteries with an external rechargeable battery pack. On excursions it will go with me.

Besides recording a track of our travels, the data will be used to geotag my photos with latitude and longitude before uploading to Flickr. Its been with me on a number of short and long distance train trips as well.