O'Sheehan's & Moderno Changes!

Cruiser Bruiser

Cruise Critic breaks the news that O'Sheehan's Pub is going fleetwide and Moderno is moving to a new location on most ships. So, reading between the lines, I'm guessing the following:

On most ships (i.e. Dawn and Jewel class) Moderno will move to the Cagney's overflow area that is adjacent to Star Bar. Has anyone ever seen the Cagney's overflow area used other than for a Meet & Mingle?

I'm guessing then that the entire upper atrium level will then be converted into O'Sheehan's? That makes the most sense to me. But what happens to the existing pubs on the Dawn class? Will Longboard's on the Sun-class be the location for O'Sheehans and just basically get a name change?

It's all very exciting. Come on, Kevin, keep spilling the beans! :p

Here's the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5684

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser
Added link to article.

Does sound like Cagneys annex would be where he referencing to place Moderno. Some of our cruises this has been the suite breakfast and lunch venue but not all. Turning Blue Lagoon and current Moderno into O'Sheehans would seem to make sense at least on the Jewel class ships. One side for food service, one side for the bar 1/2 with seating on the rail for watching atrium events.

Longboards was always dead on the Sky and it just didn't have the same vibe. I think on the Sky it would be an easy switch over.

We sailed one spring during the NBA playoffs and Longboards was hopping every single night. Its our favorite bar so far on any NCL ship.

Cruiser Bruiser thanks for sharing :)

Making the present Moderno a part of Blue Lagoon would be a huge waste. The current Blue Lagoon is hardly ever full. My guess would be NCL would make a new fee venue in the old Moderno space.

I've experienced plenty of times when Blue Lagoon was full, especially on the Dawn. People like to hang out, play cards. I guess there's going to be a lot more sports on the big screen! I think the poster above has it right, O'Sheehan's is going to completely surround the atrium.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

Making the present Moderno a part of Blue Lagoon would be a huge waste. The current Blue Lagoon is hardly ever full. My guess would be NCL would make a new fee venue in the old Moderno space.

The entire vibe of the space would change with making the entire floor osheehans. It would no longer just be a sit down venue if they make it like the one on the breakaway..

Cruise Critic breaks the news that O'Sheehan's Pub is going fleetwide and Moderno is moving to a new location on most ships. So, reading between the lines, I'm guessing the following:

On most ships (i.e. Dawn and Jewel class) Moderno will move to the Cagney's overflow area that is adjacent to Star Bar. Has anyone ever seen the Cagney's overflow area used other than for a Meet & Mingle?

I'm guessing then that the entire upper atrium level will then be converted into O'Sheehan's? That makes the most sense to me. But what happens to the existing pubs on the Dawn class? Will Longboard's on the Sun-class be the location for O'Sheehans and just basically get a name change?

It's all very exciting. Come on, Kevin, keep spilling the beans! :p

Here's the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5684

Hmmm, maybe they will redo the entire Star bar? Seriously, when have you seen it used - except, as you say for a CC M&G? The only use the Star bar has during daytime hours is for a makeshift concierge lounge.

Hmmm, maybe they will redo the entire Star bar? Seriously, when have you seen it used - except, as you say for a CC M&G? The only use the Star bar has during daytime hours is for a makeshift concierge lounge.

The usage of Star Bar depends highly on the cruise - it's our favourite watering hole because it's much more relaxed and quiet compared to the Bar City. The occupancy rate in Star Bar seems to be hit or miss, on some cruises for example just the FoD meetings get the bar over half full and hence quite busy for only one waitress/bartender.

Unfortunately since there will be a "new" hangout bar downstairs after the remodel, I do fear that Star Bar is probably the one to go. :(

Anyone have the inside scoop on what this means for the Spirit? She is heading into dry dock soon.

I haven't been on Spirit but by the deck plans it seems that Blue Lagoon and Henry's Pub are right next to each other so I'd assume that they'd change those venues into "one" O'Sheehan's bar and restaurant.

However the change might be done during normal operations too, that's how Moderno came to at least some older ships (for example on Star in April 2012 they closed the old restaurant week or two earlier and Moderno wasn't completed yet but opened only during our reposition cruise).

Edited by Demonyte

I know that NCL really pushes Moderno and that people like it but we had one of the worst dining experiences of our lives there while on the Sun. The meat was very poor quality, t he "gauchos" were clueless, meat was very very slow in coming out, and it took 2 hours 15 minutes to get through. Salad bar and dessert were delicious, sides were awful, meat a disaster. We were comped as were many the night we were there. My husband has been to several Chiascurro restaurants and said that Moderno doesn't resemble that concept in the least. Sounds to me like they are giving it an out of the way venue now.

I haven't been on Spirit but by the deck plans it seems that Blue Lagoon and Henry's Pub are right next to each other so I'd assume that they'd change those venues into "one" O'Sheehan's bar and restaurant.

However the change might be done during normal operations too, that's how Moderno came to at least some older ships (for example on Star in April 2012 they closed the old restaurant week or two earlier and Moderno wasn't completed yet but opened only during our reposition cruise).

Here's a link to a photo of the Blue Lagoon space on the Spirit:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40247067&postcount=22

I'm guessing it will mostly be a name change and expansion of the menu for the Spirit and the Sun-class ships. Pride of America is a harder guess because it has an Alaska-themed sports bar and the Cadillac Cafe serves the Blue Lagoon menu. Intriguing... :confused:

I know that NCL really pushes Moderno and that people like it but we had one of the worst dining experiences of our lives there while on the Sun. The meat was very poor quality, t he "gauchos" were clueless, meat was very very slow in coming out, and it took 2 hours 15 minutes to get through. Salad bar and dessert were delicious, sides were awful, meat a disaster. We were comped as were many the night we were there. My husband has been to several Chiascurro restaurants and said that Moderno doesn't resemble that concept in the least. Sounds to me like they are giving it an out of the way venue now.

I think they're making the move because the atrium space isn't elegant enough. By putting Moderno in a more sophisticated and secluded space, their making it a superior experience, just like Cagney's. You'll notice that on the Epic and Breakaway-class, Moderno and Cagney's are right next to each other. They're just extending that relationship wherever the ship configuration will allow. By introducing the O'Sheehan's menu and concept to the Deck 8 space on the Dawn and Jewel class ships (that's almost half the fleet), they're really rebranding the entire atrium and making better use of the space.

Thanks for the information John, it totally makes sense but I will miss the location of Moderno. It was like having dinner and a show with having the entertainment from the atrium :) I have yet to see Blue Lagoon Not be busy, so I take it the Blue Lagoon we know, it now will soon be totally gone.

I think they're making the move because the atrium space isn't elegant enough. By putting Moderno in a more sophisticated and secluded space, their making it a superior experience, just like Cagney's. You'll notice that on the Epic and Breakaway-class, Moderno and Cagney's are right next to each other. They're just extending that relationship wherever the ship configuration will allow. By introducing the O'Sheehan's menu and concept to the Deck 8 space on the Dawn and Jewel class ships (that's almost half the fleet), they're really rebranding the entire atrium and making better use of the space.

Nailed it.

If indeed Moderno is moved..I will be happy !!! On the Gem...we had our dining experience start off with very loud and annoying art auction pitch that was going on in the atrium below....:eek:....It was not pleasant at all......(I found out later ..he was not supposed to be still presenting...running late....but I am sure it happens more often than not!)

I wonder if they will retrofit Carlo's Bake Shop into the pub spaces on ships with them like Dawn, Star, POA, etc... That would be a money maker! :D Or maybe that's where they will move Star Bar? No need for two pubs right together, right? I like Carlo's better...

Added a thought.