Cantilevered Hot Tubs

PhillyDad

Has anyone stayed in a cabin (Grand Suite) directly under one of the cantilevered hot tubs on one of the the Freedom Class ships?

Is there any disadvantage to having a cabin directly under one of the cantilevered hot tubs on the Freedom Class of ships? Is your view obstructed at all or is the sun blocked out at all? Do you feel confined on the balcony since the hot tub sticks out over side of the ship? can you even tell its there?

Is the balcony any larger than the other cabins (of the same category) just in front or behind the hottubs? I was told they were deeper and therefore bigger.

I would assume there is not a disadvantage since all of the cabins in this area (including those directly under the hot tubs) are Grand Suites but was curious.

The GS uder the hot tub is not obstructed unless you are looking up. It does extend out further than the balcony so the sun is partially blocked. Some people like this to get out of the sun.

The balcony does extend slightly but not enough to have any real effect. There is sometimes some water dripping probably from condensation. The bottom of the hot tub is covered with canvas so it looks OK. It doesn't feel confining but it is like having a ceiling on your balcony.

The only thing I would be concerned with is the balcony glass on that cabin. Don't the cabins directly under the cantilevered hottubs have the gold tinted glass on the balcony glass? We had a JS on deck 9, one cabin before the area where the glass has the different colored film on it. The people in the cabin next to us hated the colored glass since it acts as a mirror so you are looking at yourself when you are sitting in a chair on your balcony.

Edit to add link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1815761&highlight=reflective+glass

There are more threads about this if you search around on broze glass or reflective glass.

Edited by reallyitsmema

I didn't realize the glass for different. Thanks for posting. I'm actually not sure if I'm directly under the hot tub or just real close to it. Has anyone ever stayed in cabin 1268 on one of the Freedom Class Ships (specifically the IOS). Is it possible half of the glass is reflective and the other half is clear? Seems odd but from the pics it looks like one of the GS has that.

I'm more curious than envy thing else. I'd rather have the clear glass but it is ends up being the mirrored glass, it won't be the end of the world. I'll still be on a cruise...which is better than being at the office :-)

We sailed suite 1568 on the Mariner and the Freedom of the Seas.

It is right behind the cabin that has the over-hang.

The first part of our balcony glass was tinted (which made for a perfect towel dryer and bathing suites on the balcony with no one seeing).

As far as noise.............

We heard noise noise only once from above when we slept in and someone was moving tables not from tub.

We enjoyed this location.

Non-connnecting suite, great location.

Loved it on Mariner, and booked it on Freedom twice.

Enjoy, we did.

Sea Ya

GS 1264 and 1564 are directly under the hot tubs.

Freedom had the bronze coloured glass but I have pictures of Indy from Christmas 2012 that show it did not. Maybe they changed it when they did the upgrade in 2012?

GS 1264 and 1564 are directly under the hot tubs.

Freedom had the bronze coloured glass but I have pictures of Indy from Christmas 2012 that show it did not. Maybe they changed it when they did the upgrade in 2012?

Very interesting and definitely possible. Funny thing is, I just looked on the cruise line's website and the picture of Indy shows the bronze glass but the picture of Freedom does not. You know Indy didn't have it and I know Freedom did have it since I was directly beside it. Royal Caribbean is known for photoshopping the name of one ship onto a picture of a different ship. They have done this on the Voyager class ships many times which makes things very confusing since there are two different generations of those ships, with two very distinct balcony styles.

To the OP, I would tend to go with what people here have seen as opposed to what might be the Indy on promotional pictures.

When we were on Allure, we had a couple at our MDR table who was directly under one of the cantilevered whirlpools and the issue they had was that you could hear the jets running so whenever anyone turned it on, you could hear it in their cabin. I would think the same would be true on any ship.

The only thing I would be concerned with is the balcony glass on that cabin. Don't the cabins directly under the cantilevered hottubs have the gold tinted glass on the balcony glass? We had a JS on deck 9, one cabin before the area where the glass has the different colored film on it. The people in the cabin next to us hated the colored glass since it acts as a mirror so you are looking at yourself when you are sitting in a chair on your balcony.

Edit to add link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1815761&highlight=reflective+glass

There are more threads about this if you search around on broze glass or reflective glass.

I've had Cabin 9264 twice on the Freedom. It is a JS on Deck 9 directly under one of the cantilevered hot tubs. Yes the balcony glass was the bronze tinted type, yes it is noticeable from the balcony when you look up, it would only block the sun depending on time of day and the direction the ship was headed. Some days I had sun on the balcony all day and others there were times the sun was hit and miss.

Some friends of our when we sailed the Oasis, were on deck 14 (I think in a D6 cabin?) and they ended up having to be moved. They said the jets went off and on all night long. After 2 nights of no sleep, they did get moved to deck 10 and were much happier after that. They said the jets were very very loud.

:o

We stayed in a GS directly under the hot tubs. I don't recall the room number.

The shade was the only difference we noticed. It wasn't a deal breaker (I like shade, wife likes sun), but it is a consideration. Of course it depends on time of day/year, latitude, direction of ship, etc. But, you will experience more shade with this cabin compared to nearby cabins.

We did not have any problems with noise or anything else. We did have the bronze glass on a cruise (I'm guessing this one) and I did not like it, but that was also not a deal breaker.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but it was just shared with me today. I'm trying to verify if GS 1548 on Liberty will have that tinted glass? I'm not crazy about that. Thanks for any information you can provide

I know this is an old thread, but it was just shared with me today. I'm trying to verify if GS 1548 on Liberty will have that tinted glass? I'm not crazy about that. Thanks for any information you can provide

what do you not like about it? all the balconies have extreme pitting due to salt spray so you cannot sit down and look through them clearly anyway, and for most people the eyeline is the wooden beam across the top. the tinting does not otherwise impede the view.

You cabin is forward of the tinted glass cabins, you should be okay.

what do you not like about it? all the balconies have extreme pitting due to salt spray so you cannot sit down and look through them clearly anyway, and for most people the eyeline is the wooden beam across the top. the tinting does not otherwise impede the view.

The tinted glass is an issue, you obviously have never stayed in one of these cabins. The tinting acts like a mirror and you see a reflection of yourself as you are sitting on your balcony. The tinting absolutely impedes the view.

The tinted glass is an issue, you obviously have never stayed in one of these cabins. The tinting acts like a mirror and you see a reflection of yourself as you are sitting on your balcony. The tinting absolutely impedes the view.

Thank you!! :D

I have stayed in these cabins before and the reflection is no worse than any window on board. And the view was not any more hindered than the non tinted side. I would not hesitate to book any of the same cabins again

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 11 months later...
how many decks are affected by the cantelevered hot tubs? In other words, is this also a consideration when booking bow cabins on decks 7 and 8?

I may have figured out my own answer. It appears it starts with those cabins ending 60 (example: 6560 and 6260) but does it go through 66 (example 6566 & 6266)?

Edit to add link:

Also for the cabins next to it (not directly under) people in the hottub can look into a large part of your balcony.

Also for the cabins next to it (not directly under) people in the hottub can look into a large part of your balcony.

I've read that 1548 is okay if you're okay with the tempered glass but is that a clear picture? But what about people watching you from the hot tub?

What would you say is the closest cabin number is safe? So the bottom of the hot tub serves as a roof to the cabins running from 1552-1568 (1252-1268) ?

I am merely guessing the the further boundary of the 1568

How many decks down would you say till this is no longer an obsticle?

I am thinking of changing to a cabin more aft than my current Liberty one of 8654 Superior Ocean View (Balcony).

Thanks so much for your help.