Delta's schedule change eliminated my flight home

indy71

I bought a ticket home from FLL leaving at 3:45 p.m. connecting to a flight to get me home to Tucson on 3/1 late in the evening. When Delta changed their schedule a few weeks ago, they eliminated my connecting flight and gave me 2 choices: leave at 10:45 a.m. or stay overnight and fly out the next day. Staying overnight was not an option, so I opted for the 10:45 flight. My ship is supposed to dock at 7 a.m. I have read many posts from people with opinions about what time is too early, but, bottom line is it makes me nervous to face the chance that something could go wrong and I would miss my flight. I am an experienced cruiser, so I know about Luggage Direct (if available), carrying my luggage off myself, getting a cab, etc. Does anyone have any advice for me, short of buying another ticket on another airline? Thanks for your help.

By your subject line, I assumed they completely eliminated your flight home and you were now having to buy one. I'd assume Delta gave you a third choice: refund. That is typically the case. You could have shopped on other airlines (not appealing, but maybe the best option). If you say staying overnight is not an option (at least not an appealing one), then you accept the risks of taking the early flight. If you miss it, you'd likely have to pay to rebook on another flight.

You've now been rebooked on the 10:45 a.m. flight? If so, I doubt they'd now offer you a refund, though you can always ask (assuming you found acceptable options on other airlines). If you checked the Delta schedule and found other options, even with an extra connection, they might have accepted that (assuming seats are available), but not sure they'd do it now. Again. no harm asking. I'd just say "The agent offered just two options, but I have found others that seem to work. Could you please check? The change from my original flight was involuntary, so I should not have to pay a change fee."

Airlines change schedules all the time, and cruisers know the airline don't take responsibility for one missing a cruise (or getting back to the port too late to make a flight).

Advice to talk to the cruise line to get into the first group to disembark (often done for those with flights to catch), and then getting on a taxi, with luggage in hand, seems the best idea.

Edited by Fattony

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I have been rebooked on the 10:45 flight. I agree that the best option is to get off the ship as early as possible with luggage and boarding pass in hand. Thanks for your encouragement.

For future reference since I am a Delta flyer....

Every airline has changes.

Delta has flights from FLL to ATL almost hourly but since your flight is on March 1st I'd wager those alternate possibilities are full....cruise season and spring break and FLL....

Never accept a change with their web site's on line tab...call. Before you place that call know your alternatives. Creative routing may make things possible. I know Tucson is not the easiest airport for flights (we go to Tubac often) but perhaps they could have sent you to PHX. A one way car rental might have been an option or the short hop by air, paid for by Delta.

If by any chance the ship docks late, get on the phone to Delta immediately. They will work with you and not record you as a No Show.

You know the score about early disembarkation so I'll just add - take a cab.

Every year but this year we have had a 11:15 flight home. We use walk off, take a cab and always are sitting there a long time. Never had a problem even when getting off the ship later due to immigration. We always check in 24 hours prior too. Nothing is absolute but I say you'll be ok.

Delta has flights from FLL to ATL almost hourly but since your flight is on March 1st I'd wager those alternate possibilities are full....cruise season and spring break and FLL....

perhaps they could have sent you to PHX. A one way car rental might have been an option

You likely nailed it with the first comment- While there are near hourly flights FLL-ATL scheduled, it's peak spring break and cruise season. I checked, and Delta doesn't show any availability to ATL later than 10:45am on the OP's day of travel. So whether they end up in TUC, PHX or somewhere else, the issue is that 10:45 appears to be the latest post-cruise flight they can board FLL-ATL.

So whether they end up in TUC, PHX or somewhere else, the issue is that 10:45 appears to be the latest post-cruise flight they can board FLL-ATL.

That's the practical side due to availability. The theoretical side is that there is only one nonstop from ATL to TUS on the 1st. SLC-TUS is down to two flights. Into both cities, DL has eliminated the Saturday evening flight. Still there on other days of the week, but not Saturday.

Playing around with lots of different cities, it looks as though 10:45 was the latest schedule possibility using DL metal that did not involve an overnight somewhere.

So, on a double basis, it was 10:45 or nothing that day. Not good.

Playing around with lots of different cities, it looks as though 10:45 was the latest schedule possibility using DL metal that did not involve an overnight somewhere.

So, on a double basis, it was 10:45 or nothing that day. Not good.

Agreed. I played around with the multi-city option, trying to find an alternative through SLC, LGA, etc. and as you found, there really were no other viable alternatives, given the limited DL service to TUS.

I am just blown away by your kindness in checking flight schedules and making suggestions for me. Thank you so much.

I have had many schedule changes in the past, but never anything as drastic as this. Every option but the 10:45 flight was going to cost extra money and/or time, be it extra night's hotel, a shuttle from Phoenix, a refund and rebooked ticket on another airline. The first Delta agent I spoke to said she could rebook me on another airline, but when she checked with someone else, she told me it wasn't possible. I've got a feeling I should have asked to speak to a supervisor.

Anyway, I'm going to do all the things I can to get to the airport quickly: check in the day before, carry off luggage and be one of the first off the ship, take a taxi to the airport, drop off luggage curbside. It seems like I should be able to make it. I'll just have to see what it's like to function outside of my comfort zone...lol!! Maybe it will be a growing experience.

The first Delta agent I spoke to said she could rebook me on another airline, but when she checked with someone else, she told me it wasn't possible. I've got a feeling I should have asked to speak to a supervisor.

Probably the fact that Delta can still get you home that day and that you have advance notice of the schedule change negates the option to endorse your ticket to another airline. If they had a mechanical problem the day you're traveling and they couldn't get you home at a reasonable time, you'd have a better chance of them rebooking you on another airline.

• 1 month later...

I know now that I was silly to worry about making the 10:45 am flight. We were second in line to disembark and were at the airport at 7:40! I guess we did everything right. Thanks again for your encouragement.

I know now that I was silly to worry about making the 10:45 am flight. We were second in line to disembark and were at the airport at 7:40! I guess we did everything right. Thanks again for your encouragement.

Yes, it's nice of you to let everyone know how it turned out. :)

It's always great to hear of a success around here.

I hope our recommendations made it possible. We've learned from our own experiences!!!!!

Please share your experiences with others and maybe some day we will make the constant inquiries about early flights, whether they are affected by schedule changes or not, a thing of the past.

Again, thanks for returning to the thread.