Running Track on the Royal

canadiancruisers11

I walked almost every day on the Royal TA and in the morning there were usually a lot of people walking and running. It was usually busiest mid morning. I really liked the walking track--great views but it could be very windy. We were lucky to have smooth seas and good weather on the crossing, so it wasn't a major problem. if you don't want to navigate around people, go early mornings or late afternoon--usually it wasn't crowded at all at those times. I saw people doing the circuit stations, but I didn't try them out. they do have posted instructions at each station.

Ok gang, gimme the goods on the track on the Royal please! How long and how is the circuit training? How many runners were up there each day? Thanks in advance

I pretty much had the same things to deal with last month ! It is a great track and layout for a cruise ship!

The more crowded it is, the more people who can't follow simple directions (staying in lane with walkers on the inside and everyone going counter-clockwise). My brother - who ran at least 5 miles a day - quickly discovered that daybreak was the best time to run after trying out the track on embarkation afternoon. At daybreak he only had to share the track with one or two (if any) other people and sunrises were gorgeous. That worked for him because that's when he normally runs but for those of us who want to sleep late, that option doesn't work. I walked it a couple of afternoons and ran into (so to speak :D) the folks who couldn't follow directions.

If I was (re-)designing the track I would make the walker lane wider than the runner lane since there are frequently couples walking together while running is more solitary. I'd also make the walker lap on the outside so they don't need to cross the runners. But no one asked me!

Added - just looked at Dave's pictures -- everyone headed in the right direction but you'll notice the walkers are on both lanes...

Edited by capriccio

Too bad they eliminated the promenade deck. It was a great spot for walking which I do multiple times every day. The pictures above look really crowded.

A lot of that has to do with the perspective and zoom of the picture. In each of those 'crowded' pictures that shows perhaps a dozen people total on each side walking along a track that's probably 250-300 feet on each side. And there are a couple of the same people in both images, just walking up/down the starboard and port side.

No, it wasn't crowded.

Edited by dmwnc1959

A lot of that has to do with the perspective and zoom of the picture. In each of those 'crowded' pictures that shows perhaps a dozen people total on each side walking along a track that's probably 250-300 feet on each side. And there are a couple of the same people in both images, just walking up/down the starboard and port side.

No, it wasn't crowded.

Thanks again for the advice. We've got a fairly large group of runners on this cruise travelling together so this should be nice each morning

People who posted that they miss the experience of the view from the sea on the old Promenade decks have been told that the view from the walking/running track is a good alternative.

But from the pictures posted it does not seem that people can stand along the railing and take in the sea view without blocking runners.

And since the walkers are further away from the railing than the runners, they have less of a view of the ocean than the runners who likely do not want to see the view as much as the slower paced walkers.

The more crowded it is, the more people who can't follow simple directions (staying in lane with walkers on the inside and everyone going counter-clockwise). My brother - who ran at least 5 miles a day - quickly discovered that daybreak was the best time to run after trying out the track on embarkation afternoon. At daybreak he only had to share the track with one or two (if any) other people and sunrises were gorgeous. That worked for him because that's when he normally runs but for those of us who want to sleep late, that option doesn't work. I walked it a couple of afternoons and ran into (so to speak :D) the folks who couldn't follow directions.

If I was (re-)designing the track I would make the walker lane wider than the runner lane since there are frequently couples walking together while running is more solitary. I'd also make the walker lap on the outside so they don't need to cross the runners. But no one asked me!

Added - just looked at Dave's pictures -- everyone headed in the right direction but you'll notice the walkers are on both lanes...

I've "walked" on three Princess ships (Pacific, Ocean, Ruby) and walking etiquette is always an issue, especially with those who are utterly convinced they need to walk side by side with a companion regardless of whether that forces those coming the other way to get out of their way or risk a collision.

That being said, the track on Royal is head and shoulders above anything I have seen on a Princess ship.

I've "walked" on three Princess ships (Pacific, Ocean, Ruby) and walking etiquette is always an issue, especially with those who are utterly convinced they need to walk side by side with a companion regardless of whether that forces those coming the other way to get out of their way or risk a collision.
A "promenade" deck is just that: for walking and promenading/strolling outside. If you want to walk side-by-side, I don't see anything wrong with that. The deck is more than 2-3 people wide. Nor is there an "etiquette" other than allowing someone to pass. I've seen people practically coming to blows because they were walking in the "wrong" direction or someone had stopped to take in the view. There is no wrong direction although I've seen people harassed for that.

People who posted that they miss the experience of the view from the sea on the old Promenade decks have been told that the view from the walking/running track is a good alternative.

But from the pictures posted it does not seem that people can stand along the railing and take in the sea view without blocking runners.

And since the walkers are further away from the railing than the runners, they have less of a view of the ocean than the runners who likely do not want to see the view as much as the slower paced walkers.

In the two weeks I was aboard Royal Princess - between the walkers, power walkers, joggers, and runners - it always seemed to work itself out just fine. I saw considerably more people walking and very few, if any, actually running.

Everyone seemed to just to figure it out and respect each other's space and intentions.

As for the view, especially for sunrises/sunsets and port arrivals, it appeared most people flocked towards the Sun Deck and the areas above SeaView Bar and SeaWalk, and Decks 18/19 forward of the main pool. There are also the very nice 'porches' with seating groups and loungers along the Promenade Deck, and Lido Deck aft at the Outrigger Bar with additional couches and seating groups for relaxing and watching the ocean.

:D

Hello all,

Just off the Royal today and was able to run 5k each day. I found that late afternoon was the best time to go for a jog. The only downfall was that it tends to become windier during that period. I only have a few complaints about that track one is that they should have place the walkers on the outside as it is so true that couple like to walk side by side. The last complaint is the smell OMG sometimes it got really bad but only in one little area.

Voila

Sea ya

Eric

Hello all,

Just off the Royal today and was able to run 5k each day. I found that late afternoon was the best time to go for a jog. The only downfall was that it tends to become windier during that period. I only have a few complaints about that track one is that they should have place the walkers on the outside as it is so true that couple like to walk side by side. The last complaint is the smell OMG sometimes it got really bad but only in one little area.

Voila

Sea ya

Eric

I take it the smell is from the stack gas, soot, etc. on the way to the aft balconies?

Pam: I accept that a promenade deck is for strolling and I have no problem with those using it for strolling. I am less tolerant, though I do not show it, of those who are working out on it by walking, side by side, and cause problems for those coming the other way because there is not room for three abreast. I dealt with it by exercising in the very early morning, or in the afternoon. You'd think it was a ghost ship to judge by the lack of people outside at 6 pm.

Edited by Wehwalt

• 1 month later...

The ManHo and I are both ultra marathoners, we stay in marathon shape at all times. When we cruise we usually hit the fitness center and ask one of the trainers for their circuit loop. That's where they run on the ship. It may involve some stairs and multiple decks and going early in the morning or late at night to avoid crowds.

I did this with a combo of treadmill and mapped port runs because I had to log some 20 mile runs on some of our cruises :)

The ManHo and I are both ultra marathoners, we stay in marathon shape at all times. When we cruise we usually hit the fitness center and ask one of the trainers for their circuit loop. That's where they run on the ship. It may involve some stairs and multiple decks and going early in the morning or late at night to avoid crowds.

I did this with a combo of treadmill and mapped port runs because I had to log some 20 mile runs on some of our cruises :)

Good Lord I can't imagine 20 miles! Good on you! The longest I'll have is 7miles but I'll talk to the fitness staff - thanks for the tip. Worst case I could do half treadmill half track. It would be great if I had someone to run with in port but unfortunately my husband says he only runs if being chased and even then he'd rather turn and fight. ;)

I have been a runner for most of my adult life and have run quite a few marathons and done quite a few cruises. I have run on just about all the classes of Princess ships, including three weeks last year on the Royal.

I really don't mind crowds, people walking three abreast or going in the opposite direction. I have been running long enough to know I am not going to change anything by complaining and it isn't going to bother me to slow down, walk around, dodge, or say excuse me.

While I missed running on a Promenade Deck, I adapted quickly to the running track on the Royal. I liked the line designating walking/running, but wished they had arrows embedded in the deck showing directions and icons showing runners and walkers, like I had on an NCL cruise.

The scuttlebutt and bench was a nice addition, as was the exercise stations. Can be windy at times, but that holds true for just about anywhere, including Emerald Deck on Grand Class.

I know...still better than a treadmill though and I'm too nervous to run in port...if something happened to me no one would know! :eek:

At least its better then the Ruby/Crown/Emerald, with that little square of a running track above Skywalkers. :rolleyes:

16 times around for a mile I think?