trivia cheats

Sports Dr

I have seen some of the hardest questions answered with such ease.

Am I that illiterate???? No.

Guess I just do not know how to come prepared to these events.

Maybe for the next couple cruises I will go and get the study guides:eek:

Then show up and get them all right:D

What no study guides???

What I meant was old questions, or are they new?

Ok

To those who play..............enjoy.

Safe travels.

If you do not want to accept the answers the host has, how would you administer the game?

I would have the host ask only those questions to which the answer can be found very easily by googling or by checking wikipedia. How difficult is it to find out if Ben Franklin was a U.S. president?

I would have the host double-check the answers ahead of time so that he doesn't risk embarrassing himself by giving an incorrect answer when it would have been extremely easy for him to find the correct answer. How difficult is it to consult wikipedia to find out who (the actors or the characters) were in a sitcom, or where the sitcom took place? How difficult is it to find out what an antelope is (meaning that it is NOT a long-legged insect that can walk on water)? As I said, the trivia hostess said that there was no way her provided answer of "antelope" was correct, and she gave everyone credit for a correct answer, no matter what they wrote.

I was very surprised to find out that the trivia host who told all of us that Ben Franklin was a U.S. president was an American. I would not expect someone from another country to know that (although I would expect him, especially if English was his first language) to know how to check wikipedia to see who was a U.S. president. When we all told that trivia host that he was incorrect (not one person took his side and insisted that Ben Franklin had been the president), he got very, very angry. I told him that next time, he should say "Who" instead of "Which U.S. president," and then the question would be perfectly good, instead of saying, "Yeah, that's what I'll do," he got even angrier.

As for questions that have more than one correct answer, like how many wheels does a semi trailer have, I have never personally participated in a trivia contest in which such a question was asked, so that should be determined by the people who have participated in such contests.

I believe that a trivia host should admit that his answer was wrong if (1) a number of participants strongly disagree with him, (2) all of those participants agree on what the correct answer should be, and (3) not a single participant claims that the trivia host's answer was correct.

Some people say that they don't like it when the trivia host gives clues. That doesn't bother me, because a lot of "Jeopardy" answers contain clues, and I like "Jeopardy." But I think that clues and correct answers should be given to everyone. On one cruise, the trivia host appeared to ask, "What number is under nine?" I say that he appeared to ask that question, because after he said the word "nine," he stopped talking. So we wrote down answers. Still silent, he walked around the room and looked at people's papers. (I wrote down "eight," because "under" can mean "less than.") He asked the woman next to me why she had written down "ten." She showed him her score paper, which looked like this:

1)__________

2)__________

3)__________

And so on, and she showed him that the "10" was right under the "9." I thought that was excellent, but he just ridiculed her and walked away. Then he shouted that we all had the wrong answers, because we wrote them down before he finished reading the question. He said that the question was "What number is under nine on a dartboard?" I didn't have the faintest idea, so I decided to stick with "eight." However, he came back to the woman next to me and told her that the correct answer was "fourteen." Maybe it was his way of apologizing to her for having made fun of her, I don't know. But since I heard him say "fourteen," I changed my answer to "fourteen." I didn't think that was cheating on my part, because he said it loudly enough that I could hear it, and if I could hear it, others could hear it, too, but I did think it was cheating on the trivia host's part to give out the correct answer, but not to give it to everyone.

I would have the host ask only those questions to which the answer can be found very easily by googling or by checking wikipedia. How difficult is it to find out if Ben Franklin was a U.S. president?

I would have the host double-check the answers ahead of time so that he doesn't risk embarrassing himself by giving an incorrect answer when it would have been extremely easy for him to find the correct answer. How difficult is it to consult wikipedia to find out who (the actors or the characters) were in a sitcom, or where the sitcom took place? How difficult is it to find out what an antelope is (meaning that it is NOT a long-legged insect that can walk on water)? As I said, the trivia hostess said that there was no way her provided answer of "antelope" was correct, and she gave everyone credit for a correct answer, no matter what they wrote.

I was very surprised to find out that the trivia host who told all of us that Ben Franklin was a U.S. president was an American. I would not expect someone from another country to know that (although I would expect him, especially if English was his first language) to know how to check wikipedia to see who was a U.S. president. When we all told that trivia host that he was incorrect (not one person took his side and insisted that Ben Franklin had been the president), he got very, very angry. I told him that next time, he should say "Who" instead of "Which U.S. president," and then the question would be perfectly good, instead of saying, "Yeah, that's what I'll do," he got even angrier.

As for questions that have more than one correct answer, like how many wheels does a semi trailer have, I have never personally participated in a trivia contest in which such a question was asked, so that should be determined by the people who have participated in such contests.

I believe that a trivia host should admit that his answer was wrong if (1) a number of participants strongly disagree with him, (2) all of those participants agree on what the correct answer should be, and (3) not a single participant claims that the trivia host's answer was correct.

Some people say that they don't like it when the trivia host gives clues. That doesn't bother me, because a lot of "Jeopardy" answers contain clues, and I like "Jeopardy." But I think that clues and correct answers should be given to everyone. On one cruise, the trivia host appeared to ask, "What number is under nine?" I say that he appeared to ask that question, because after he said the word "nine," he stopped talking. So we wrote down answers. Still silent, he walked around the room and looked at people's papers. (I wrote down "eight," because "under" can mean "less than.") He asked the woman next to me why she had written down "ten." She showed him her score paper, which looked like this:

1)__________

2)__________

3)__________

And so on, and she showed him that the "10" was right under the "9." I thought that was excellent, but he just ridiculed her and walked away. Then he shouted that we all had the wrong answers, because we wrote them down before he finished reading the question. He said that the question was "What number is under nine on a dartboard?" I didn't have the faintest idea, so I decided to stick with "eight." However, he came back to the woman next to me and told her that the correct answer was "fourteen." Maybe it was his way of apologizing to her for having made fun of her, I don't know. But since I heard him say "fourteen," I changed my answer to "fourteen." I didn't think that was cheating on my part, because he said it loudly enough that I could hear it, and if I could hear it, others could hear it, too, but I did think it was cheating on the trivia host's part to give out the correct answer, but not to give it to everyone.

The trivia hosts are getting their questions and answers for some source that presumably says their answers are correct. The host do not have time to double check all the answers. I am not sure they get enough wifi time to be willing to waste it checking trivia answer.

As to your rules for a host admitting an answer is wrong, #1 is too vague to be implemented. #2 is meaningless. Now no one gets a point for the question. If the host accepts the everyone's answer then all get a point. #3 then what answer should be accepted? While no one might agree with the host, there could be several answers with support.

Perhaps you should try the majority rules trivia.

1)__________

2)__________

3)__________

Granted, I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so my response may be a duplicate opinion. In my experience trivia hosts have usually had the primary duty of being a singer/dancer (Silversea uses cruise directors). They've trained for years at the barre, and secured a position in the company. But in addition to performing their art, they must show guests how to put on life jackets, draw bingo numbers, be a librarian, conduct trivia, etc. Oh, joy. It's unrealistic for them to spend any of their personal time on the computer (at company expense) to verify answers. Same with a CD as host, his/her job is for everyone to have fun, not to do the research that a Jeopardy question writer does.

Practically, the trivia hosts should be provided with questions and answers from the cruise management with the stipulation that no challenges should be accepted, otherwise chaos would ensue. Yes, even if some answers are blatantly wrong, they should stick to the script. Otherwise, it's mob rule, and what fun is that?

Seriously folks, if you want to prove your trivia skills, go join the Learned League. Take cruise trivia as seriously as you take playing Go Fish with the grandkids. Or do you have to win that too?

In my experience trivia hosts have usually had the primary duty of being a singer/dancer

Not in my experience! Every trivia host I've ever seen has been either the CD, the assistant CD, a host, a hostess, or a DJ.

FWIW the trivia host who didn't know the names of the Golden Girls agreed that he had the wrong names. He was also the host who had the wrong location for "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," and he admitted that his answer was wrong. The host who said that Ben Franklin was a U.S. president admitted that he was wrong, even though he was extremely angry that we dared disagree with him. And I already mentioned the hostess who was so shocked at the notion that a long-legged insect that walks on water is called an antelope, which was written on her answer sheet, that she announced that it had to be wrong.

The host do not have time to double check all the answers.

Then they could at least check the answers they have that no one taking the trivia test agrees with, especially if the contestants all agree on one particular answer.

The trivia host, who was an American, who was angry when he was told that Ben Franklin was not a U.S. president, asked the question "How many statues of liberty are there?" My team decided on the answer "three,' even though none of us were sure where the third one was. The correct answer was "three," and we cheered. The host then asked us where the three were located. None of us knew where the third one was, so I said, "Las Vegas, maybe?" He snorted and laughed and shouted that we were really stupid for thinking that there was a statue of liberty in Las Vegas. He went on and on about how stupid we were. I waited for him to stop talking, but he didn't stop - he just went on and on about how stupid we were. Finally, I decided that I had had enough, and I said that we had been asked how many statues of liberty there were, not where were they located, so it shouldn't matter if we didn't know where they were.

At that, he pulled out a tablet and announced that he would tell us where the third one was. Fine with me. He fiddled with the tablet for a while and then put it down without having said a word. He seemed that he was unable to figure out where the third one was. No, we did not tell him that he was stupid for not being able to figure out where it was.

Or do you have to win that too?

I never feel like I have to win at trivia. All I want is for the answers to be correct.

This is a general comment and not a specific answer - IT IS JUST A GAME. Repeat that statement to yourself when you a reacting the way many of the people on this thread are acting.

DON

Just a game, yep, still no reason not to get it right.

We often play the trivia games, do well, never have won. Really just enjoy it, it is lots of fun with friends and family. Also enjoy mad gab etc games. We like playing the pass out daily sheets together as well. The kids and their dad do the golf chipping and putting, have done well at that...but last cruise when my daughter tied in golf chipping, they both got prizes, however the other, older man, was really demanding a playoff - huh hitting a wiffle ball into a life preserver in the pool and it is that serious, the host of the game was not into it to begin with and wasn't going to do a playoff.. the guy walks off muttering under his breath how real tournaments always end with a playoff, no ties. Laugh out loud, really...