trivia cheats

Sports Dr

What I found to be difficult in Trivias is when the Swedish answer is different to the English.

Sometimes I know the answer in Swedish but have no clue about the English.

For examples some tv-shows/series or movies can have different name depending on the a language.

Fore example: Leathal Weapon would be Dödligt Vapen.

What can be even more confusing is when they change the title english to another english title.

Even countries can be hard: Sweden = Sverige, Germany = Tyskland, Estonia = Estland, Latvia = Lettland, Norway = Norge.

Edited by Extra Kim

Why must veteran cruisers cheat in trivia games? The same ones, who cruise often, bring old answer sheets to the trivia, and thus, win most of the trinkets. One couple won 5 contests, and were very upset that they lost one. Beginning cruisers have very little chance... it is supposed to be for fun? anyone else encounter this?

They need as many key chains as possible:confused:

Me and my Mom went to a Broadway show trivia. It was way above our level. I thought our teammate should have won. He didn't know all the answers but when he did know them he could and would start singing the tunes.

The host admitted to using the same questions so I think the winners weren't Broadway enthusiasts so much as experienced Broadway trivia players.

Cheating at trivia:eek::eek::(

I've won a lot of stuff at trivia, none worth cheating for I guarantee you, they must have real issues if they need to win trivia that badly.

Now I really enjoy trivia, get passionate about it, hate when they give wrong answers, and I've seen some bad ones, but cheat to win you've gotta be joking.

What I found to be difficult in Trivias is when the Swedish answer is different to the English.

Sometimes I know the answer in Swedish but have no clue about the English.

For examples some tv-shows/series or movies can have different name depending on the a language.

Fore example: Leathal Weapon would be Dödligt Vapen.

What can be even more confusing is when they change the title english to another english title.

Even countries can be hard: Sweden = Sverige, Germany = Tyskland, Estonia = Estland, Latvia = Lettland, Norway = Norge.

Pretty common here in Australia too, they want the US answer not the Aussie answer, and we supposedly both speak the same language.

Reviving this question... cheats are still out there, thriving! SAME team won all but 2 games maybe? One person on the team would write down the questions, so that she had them for the next cruise. NOT okay. Then there's the team that accused our team of looking up the answers, when we weren't. However, at a later game, they were clearly doing so. But worse than that? The outdated questions that Royal has. Who has hosted SNL the most? Steve Martin would be correct, if this was 2010! However, as of 2011, it's Alec Baldwin... that shows how outdated their answers are! Too many AM's are LAZY and just rely on the bank of questions that they have, and discourage changing the questions.

We always write down the questions as we go. NOT so that we have them for the next cruise, but in case we can't think of the answer immediately. Then, when we have a spare moment before the end of the game, we can revisit that question and often one of us will come up with the answer.

On our recent Golden cruise we had a different ACD taking trivia almost every morning, and they each had their own style. Also they had been encouraged to include one or two questions about their home country. It was great fun.

We usually do fairly well, even getting in a few tiebreakers, but on one glorious morning on Golden we actually won! Not just by one point, we blitzed it, four points ahead of the next team. We were lucky, the questions that day just suited our range of knowledge. That cute little keyring torch is now a treasured memento. :D

Oh, and it felt extra-good knowing we beaten some of the teams that were always arguing about the answers. ;) :eek: :D

Get this - I'll leave out names and cruise line - I know of a frequent cruiser couple who was once asked by the staff to sit out of trivia to give others a chance of winning. These people are #2 on the list of most frequent cruisers on that particular line. Instead of being good sports, they filed a formal complaint on the staff member and got him transferred to another ship. These people also wore cruise line name tags and acted like they worked on the ship.

Yes, these people do exist.

I have never played trivia, but on our upcoming cruise I want to give it a try. Do I need anyone else to play with me or can I just go myself? (dh isn't a "game" player) I really don't care if I win or not I just want to play.

I have never played trivia, but on our upcoming cruise I want to give it a try. Do I need anyone else to play with me or can I just go myself? (dh isn't a "game" player) I really don't care if I win or not I just want to play.

I think the rules can vary a little from cruise line to cruise line, but are all similar. On Princess, the maximum is 6 per team. So you can play by yourself or join others. We have made some wonderful friends playing trivia. There are usually 20 questions. Most are worth one point. Occasionally there will be a question with several answers. Sometimes each is worth a point, others you need all for one point. It is up to the person running the game. A multi part might be name all the months ending in Y.

When all the questions are asked, your team trades answer sheets with another team to check the answers.

If there is a tie, then the teams in the tie are given a tie breaker question. This continues until there is a winner

Pretty common here in Australia too, they want the US answer not the Aussie answer, and we supposedly both speak the same language.

We had Americans, Canadians, British & New Zeland passengers on ours and sometimes needed an interpreter.

Don

Never wanted to cheat - but do apply winning strategy - at the first round get together with a balanced team - always get together with at least one Brit, hopefully an Aussie, and a serious sports fan - I bring general history and geography to the table.

Nothing wrong with that at all. That is indeed good strategy.

I serve as a proctor for teams trying out to participate in a high school quiz program for our local public television station. The teams that are balanced in terms of literature, the arts, history, math, and science always seem to do the best.

Edited by tip

I guess my question is, if the prizes are mostly cheap/old trinkets...why do you care if someone "cheats" to win them? Did you take the cruise to have a nice vacation or to "win" those trinkets? You can always get a $1.50 t-shirt for $10 in one of the shops to remind you of the cruise.

I guess my question is, if the prizes are mostly cheap/old trinkets...why do you care if someone "cheats" to win them? Did you take the cruise to have a nice vacation or to "win" those trinkets? You can always get a $1.50 t-shirt for $10 in one of the shops to remind you of the cruise.

For the same reason people watch Jeopardy. It is fun to see if you know as much as you think you know, even when guessing.

I know a woman who does great at Jeopardy. She has zero common sense. Cruises to Mexico and Alaska repeatedly because she doesn't want to learn how to travel anywhere else. Dumb as a door-nail but she can beat me hands down at Jeopardy. I still play against her just to put me in my place LOL.

For the same reason people watch Jeopardy. It is fun to see if you know as much as you think you know, even when guessing.

I know a woman who does great at Jeopardy. She has zero common sense. Cruises to Mexico and Alaska repeatedly because she doesn't want to learn how to travel anywhere else. Dumb as a door-nail but she can beat me hands down at Jeopardy. I still play against her just to put me in my place LOL.

Oh, I get why you play...just for fun and to see how much "useless information" you have stored in the memory bank. Just wondering about "winning" the prizes.

We rarely play...when I am not listening to classic rock I am listening to sports talk (only listen in the car) so it's not like we would do well anyway.

On the first cruise that I discovered trivia, I played by myself. I didn't exchange papers, I just wanted to see what I knew. So if you want, you can certainly play alone but chances are someone will ask you to join their team.

Of course, recent cost cutting by the lines has reduced incentive to cheat -I still appreciate the trophies won a few years ago: Maglite flash lights and a pretty complete set of "dam" coffee mugs - with the ship's first initial on the other side.

People who cheat for today's cheesy goods certainly sell themselves at a steep discount.

We retired, about twenty years ago, from cruise ship trivia (and we used to win many games). Too many teams and folks were starting to take it all too serious, got angry, cheated, etc. For us, this ended the fun. Now, we will sometimes be in the room and fill out the answer sheet (we still would win our share of games) but never turn in the sheets. On our most recent cruise (HAL) we met a gentleman who told us his wife will no longer cruise on Princess because of trivia! It seemed that the last time they were on Princess, his wife thought another team was cheating and filed a complaint with the cruise directer. His response was, "there are two sides to every story" and he took no action (not sure what he could have done). When this lady got home she actually wrote a letter to the Princess CEO to complain about the trivia cheaters and got a polite response which did nothing! His wife got angry and said she would never set foot on a Princess ship again. So I asked this gentleman (the husband) "what did your wife want from Princess that would have made her happy?" He thought about it for a few seconds and admitted he had no idea! Go figure.

Reading some of the comments in this thread just reinforces our decision not to play trivia.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We retired, about twenty years ago, from cruise ship trivia (and we used to win many games). Too many teams and folks were starting to take it all too serious, got angry, cheated, etc. For us, this ended the fun. Now, we will sometimes be in the room and fill out the answer sheet (we still would win our share of games) but never turn in the sheets. On our most recent cruise (HAL) we met a gentleman who told us his wife will no longer cruise on Princess because of trivia! It seemed that the last time they were on Princess, his wife thought another team was cheating and filed a complaint with the cruise directer. His response was, "there are two sides to every story" and he took no action (not sure what he could have done). When this lady got home she actually wrote a letter to the Princess CEO to complain about the trivia cheaters and got a polite response which did nothing! His wife got angry and said she would never set foot on a Princess ship again. So I asked this gentleman (the husband) "what did your wife want from Princess that would have made her happy?" He thought about it for a few seconds and admitted he had no idea! Go figure.

Reading some of the comments in this thread just reinforces our decision not to play trivia.

Hank

Agreed: the cheats and whiners (who will argue the smallest points - ignoring the first rule of the game: the printed answer is the one that counts, evidence to the contrary notwithstanding) have taken a lot of the sport out of the game.

Still, it is an enjoyable way to interact with others, particularly if fortunate (and selective) enough to have formed a team with others with complementary expertise and a sense of sportsmanship. And I will admit to feeling a quiet, personal satisfaction at being able to trace the descent of the several Yorkist and Lancastrian claimants to the crown -- however lacking in real value it may be.

On our Alaska cruise last year, they hosted "Sound of Music" trivia, as it was the anniversary of the movie.

Most of the players were fans of the movie, or had at least seen it several times (that's why they came, right?) but the host, a snotty assistant cruise director, had gotten all his questions from the 'pop ups' on the movie DVD. So, really obscure stuff like the cost of filming, the name of the town, etc. He said he'd "been forced to watch it" and that "he could barely stay awake to write the questions". No cheering, no laughter, it was like we were taking a math test.

We had expected to be asked to name the kids, list 'favorite things',sing along to song lyrics, name the Nuns, etc. I spoke to him afterward, and suggested that he swap with a crew member who had seen the movie, which would make the game more enjoyable for all.

Was the one and only complaint I've ever put in the feedback survey, over 15+ cruises.