trivia cheats

Sports Dr

If you answered the question for your team in a loud whisper they got all upset. Gosh forbid if anyone heard you. It was over the top. It's a game people! Relax!

Well, it is rather stupid to say the answer out loud so that others can hear you. :rolleyes:

The method is simple: Jot down your proposed answer on another answer sheet, or ask for the answer sheet and write it yourself.

I met a young couple on a recent cruise that were on the "Love and Marriage" game as newlyweds and weren't even married. I think they won 2nd place. That is cheating too. I am sure they weren't the first to do so either. It's a shame when you have to cheat to win something.:rolleyes:

Gwen :)

Or...the people who have been on a million cruises and have clearly practiced their answers because the questions are mostly the same.

Well, it is rather stupid to say the answer out loud so that others can hear you. :rolleyes:

The method is simple: Jot down your proposed answer on another answer sheet, or ask for the answer sheet and write it yourself.

Really? The whole table was answering the questions as it was a very large group. If they feel they have to yell and humiliate others over a key chain for saying the answer to loudly then they need to get a life.

Edited by Colorado Babe

I like to play trivia because it's fun. But I also like to play because it's a great way to meet people.

I agree, though, that some take it way too seriously. On one movie music trivia, the host said to be specific in the answer. He played "Darth Vader's Theme." I wrote "Empire Strikes Back" as the answer. Another player wrote "Star Wars", meaning the 1st movie released. When the host said that I was right, the other player argued until the host gave her a point. Darth Vader's theme is heard throughout all the Star Wars movies, except the 1st one, because it wasn't heard until Empire Strikes Back.

I was there to have fun, but it really bothered me that the other player could not let it go and almost bullied the host into giving her the point.

Eileen

We always get a 2nd sheet of paper to jot down proposed answers. :)

Eileen

We always get a 2nd sheet of paper to jot down proposed answers. :)

Eileen

That would have made complete sense but the mom in charge was the holder of the paper and pencil and took the game to a whole new level. You had to be there it was real entertaining. The rest of my group who watched couldn't believe it.

I like to play trivia because it's fun. But I also like to play because it's a great way to meet people.

I agree, though, that some take it way too seriously. On one movie music trivia, the host said to be specific in the answer. He played "Darth Vader's Theme." I wrote "Empire Strikes Back" as the answer. Another player wrote "Star Wars", meaning the 1st movie released. When the host said that I was right, the other player argued until the host gave her a point. Darth Vader's theme is heard throughout all the Star Wars movies, except the 1st one, because it wasn't heard until Empire Strikes Back.

I was there to have fun, but it really bothered me that the other player could not let it go and almost bullied the host into giving her the point.

Eileen

I agree with your comment that people take it too seriously. We had a question about how many teaspoons there are in a tablespoon. These two women on a team we had joined said 2, I said no, it's 3. I was then told that they knew better because they were older and have been cooking for longer than me and they were right. I just let it go and when we got to that answer, they couldn't believe they were wrong. One of them then had the nerve to say I should have fought harder for my answer if I knew I was right.:eek: When I told her I hadn't bothered since we had so many others wrong, we were going to lose anyway, she gave me a death look. Needless to say, we didn't join their team again.:p

The prizes usually start out with the keychain (oooh, ahhhh!) and progress to bigger prizes during the cruise. In the middle of one cruise, an older gentleman (80's) introduced himself and asked if he could join our team. We really enjoyed his company, and he joined us a couple more times for trivia. We didn't win until the last trivia contest of the cruise. We won! Our prize was an umbrella. When we were leaving the lounge, the man was sitting with his wife at a table, and she had the umbrella in her lap. She had a big smile on her face - she was so cute!

Eileen

Edited by ebk2795

On the other side, I was really embarrassed this year by a group of women 20+ years my senior who got annoyed that I knew the answers to a few things. In particular, there were two questions I answered and they started shouting that I must have known the answer already.

I didn't really know what to say (other than something impolite) - of course I knew the answer already - otherwise I couldn't have answered it! Then one started saying I must have read it somewhere. Isn't that where most people pick up knowledge?

The prizes usually start out with the keychain (oooh, ahhhh!) and progress to bigger prizes during the cruise. In the middle of one cruise, an older gentleman (80's) introduced himself and asked if he could join our team. We really enjoyed his company, and he joined us a couple more times for trivia. We didn't win until the last trivia contest of the cruise. We won! Our prize was an umbrella. When we were leaving the lounge, the man was sitting with his wife at a table, and she had the umbrella in her lap. She had a big smile on her face - she was so cute!

Eileen

I bet it was.

I think that's where we got the term...."Consider the source" I was asked to play Quest one time, and our team won...just not interested after that.

I have too little time on a cruise to waste it on these games. But different strokes for different folks. Play on people....

Edited by BecciBoo

not cheats just lazy hosts that use old questions so people remember the answers, you can always tell when the activities staff have taken the trouble to get some new questions the scores are always much lower.

This is true in my experience. On Rhapsody one time, the host read out a question and the 'bar gang' sitting at the bar, who were not actually in the competiton, yelled in unison "we had that one yesterday!"

Repeated questions are common, even on the same cruise, & thus regular cruisers may well know the answers from that, rather than just knowing the answer. I can't say I have seen people using crib notes etc. On our recent Voyager cruise, CD Luke actually said it was ok to use phones/i-pads etc with the words that anyone who was going to pay the expensive ship rates for a very slow internet connection in the middle of the ocean surely would deserve the luggage tag prize.

We enjoy our on-board trivia & we have only ever won one quiz.

I am going to take this one from the other side. We will take our first cruise as Platinum level next month. So we are not in the frequent cruiser category. But we enjoy trivia. My DW has qualified (but not called back) for the Jeopardy program. I take the tests for Jeopardy. They're fun. We went to several trivia game on our NOS cruise and happened to win all but one of them. No cheating, just general knowledge. We don't play for the prizes and have given some to other people in attendance. But please, just because someone wins, do not assume they are cheating.

In my experience, you can tell the difference. We had a group lie that on an NCL cruise some years back. The first day, I went on my own and teamed up with a really nice couple. She commented that her husband wouldn't be ale to attend the next day, so I said I'd bring my sisters. Well, my one sister has a memory like no one else I know and what she couldn't remember, the three of us could. It was very obvious by the way one group over in the corner was acting that they were looking at notes. They were very secretive and very serious. No having fun over there!

The activities guy who ran it was a blast and he knew they were up to something but couldn't figure out a way around it. One of the girls on staff had begged him to take over the second day because this group was so mean and competitive they made her cry. So, the last day, he came up with a plan. The prizes all week had been things like cards, key chains, etc. this day, he was giving a free drink to the winning team. HOWEVER, everyone had to take everything off their table and could only have two pieces of paper, which he gave us, and one pen. So, our team won. That other team was furious! He didn't care. Eventually he told them to leave the area or he'd call security. Afterward, he told us, he was buying the drinks from his onboard account (they got a big discount) and that he was really hoping that we would win because he didn't want to buy the cheaters a drink. LOL

There are trivia nights all over the USA. It shouldn't be that hard to have new trivia questions every cruise....and at least every night of the cruise. We had fun playing...just thought they really made it too long. They could have had the same amount of time...but more questions.

On the other side, I was really embarrassed this year by a group of women 20+ years my senior who got annoyed that I knew the answers to a few things. In particular, there were two questions I answered and they started shouting that I must have known the answer already.

I didn't really know what to say (other than something impolite) - of course I knew the answer already - otherwise I couldn't have answered it! Then one started saying I must have read it somewhere. Isn't that where most people pick up knowledge?

This just made me literally laugh out loud.

We have only played trivia once. But after reading this thread I want to go and watch all of these people who take it so seriously. I'll make sure I have a DOD in hand and sit back and watch.

My husband is a HUGE trivia buff, well so am I but not nearly as much as he is. We did almost every round of trivia that was offered on our recent honeymoon cruise and won most of them. He has lots of factoids in his head, and we managed to find some other couples to team up with early in the cruise. Between my walking compendium of useless knowledge, and the wife of one of the other couples, we were unstoppable. It was great fun, but our prizes didn't really get better :D At times we ended up winning stuff we already won, so we passed them along to others.

I play trivia. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. It's fun and more about how well I do than winning. I don't even argue if I disagree with the stated answer. I have seen some cheating, but, thankfully, not often. It's sad that a few choose to sell out their reputation for a trinket.

The best trivia prize that I ever saw was on the Explorer when the captain hosted nautical trivia. The prize was a cruise navigational chart signed by the captain. I did okay for a landlubber but was thoroughly beaten by some former sailors.

If they ever had "free cruise trivia", I imagine that it could get nasty.

Edited by davy jones

I play trivia. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. It's fun and more about how well I do than winning. I don't even argue if I disagree with the stated answer. I have seen some cheating, but, thankfully, not often. It's sad that a few choose to sell out their reputation for a trinket.

The best trivia prize that I ever saw was on the Explorer when the captain hosted nautical trivia. The prize was a cruise navigational chart signed by the captain. I did okay for a landlubber but was thoroughly beaten by some former sailors.

If they ever had "free cruise trivia", I imagine that it could get nasty.

What?!?!?!?

You have never heard the activities person announce:

"The prize in trivia today is a FREE CRUISE..................................................................................................................................................

BROCHURE"????????????? :D

I met a young couple on a recent cruise that were on the "Love and Marriage" game as newlyweds and weren't even married. I think they won 2nd place. That is cheating too. I am sure they weren't the first to do so either. It's a shame when you have to cheat to win something.:rolleyes:

Could have been married before the game and divorced after:eek:

First I seldom if ever play but DW dragged me to one. The couple next to us were hugely serious about the game and when they didn't know the answer to the very last question they were about to loose it big time. They were flying through the notes that they had brought with them but to no avail. The question was "what is the only man made object visable from the space station with the naked eye" I leaned over and told them it was the Trans Siberian Railway. They wrote it down and it was wrong. The real answer is Palm Island in Dubai which I had correct. They didn't win and were hugely miffed at me. I didn't win the key chain either and had more fun having sport with them then the actual game. DW and I had a great laugh about it later and agreed that was probably our last trivia session.

As I said above we always play. It seems to me that people who cheat [and I would define that as bringing resources or googling etc.] and people who want to vet every participant on how they knew the answer are equally over the top about the trinkets that are available.

Is it really cheating when the CD and staff are planting answers [such as the whole "condiment" thing] anyway?